Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crack the Sig Challenge.

Options
  • 03-11-2010 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I hope this is ok to post here :)

I've been running a security challenge in the past few weeks in my sig. I've had quite a few entries - some getting it, some getting half-way. I've released the second challenge today. So far - both have been relatively easy, but I plan to increase the difficulty as they progress. It's a fun and legal way to test yourself.

Also, make sure not to post the answers :) Send them privately to myself. I will reveal the results of each challenge after enough time progresses.

Full details here: http://www.depleted.org/~penfold/

All the best,

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Great work to everyone who has entered! Have received a huge response. Challenge 3 is up for anyone who hasn't had a crack at it yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Challenge 3 already?

*gets cracking*

Indeedy! I'm sure it won't take you long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I hope that was the right answer. That one was tougher!

Indeed it was! :) Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

These are good fun; straightforward so far, but I like where this is going.

Fair play to dlofnep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

*waits for number 4*

Working on challenge 4. I'll stick it up later. I was hoping to add one a week, but you're all getting them so quickly - it's nearly turning into one a day :)

Ok.. Challenge 4 is up :) It should be a little more difficult than the previous challenges, and a bit more fun too! Best of luck. If I can offer one hint, it's that 2 of the symbols look similar, but are not the same symbol! So be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Crap, heading to the Dublin 2600 meeting now so this will have to wait till tomorrow { or when I've drunk later tonight.}
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Ok.. Challenge 4 is up :) It should be a little more difficult than the previous challenges, and a bit more fun too! Best of luck. If I can offer one hint, it's that 2 of the symbols look similar, but are not the same symbol! So be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

typo? the second correct mark should be a snowflake shouldnt it ? PM on its way.

Yes - LoLth pointed out a typo in the letter. I have corrected it, and the updated version is now on the site.

Congrats btw LoLth :) Very quick on the draw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Damn typo had me scratching my head , PM on the way. Enjoyed that :)

Well done :) Good work. You guys are getting these quicker than I expected. Will need to up the difficult a bit more for the next one. Won't be for a few days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

2,3 and 4 done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I think I have the first one, but is it supposed to make sense?

Jumpy wrote: »
    I think I have the first one, but is it supposed to make sense?

It is if you have it - If you don't, it won't ;)

For all those who have asked - Challenge 4 is not a pre-made font. It is custom.

Site freshened up a little bit, and I've added a bit more context to each of the challenges. I'll try to get up challenge 5 today or tomorrow. I have a really good idea :) It's just a matter of implementing it.

Edit: Challenge 5 up :)

Edit: Challenge 5 up :)

Eh ... is it :confused:

• Advertisement

Sorry I took it back down for a few hours. There was a hint in the file-name, so I'm re-doing it and I'll upload it when I get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Sorry I took it back down for a few hours. There was a hint in the file-name, so I'm re-doing it and I'll upload it when I get home from work.

And there I was looking for something obliquely hidden in the source of the HTML...

LOL - I would have probably done the same :) I'll upload it in about half an hour. Finished work at 4:30 :)

fergalr wrote: »
    And there I was looking for something obliquely hidden in the source of the HTML...

Me too ... took all the pages down locally and was poring through the source :cool:

I was considering doing some SQL injection & javascript stuff - But I think the hassle of it all isn't worth it, as it's not my server or database - it's just a wee shell I have on a friend's box. I think I'll just stick specifically to cipher challenges, unless otherwise stated :)

Ok - challenge updated :)

Well done again Redshift. On the money as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Hi guys,

I hope this is ok to post here :)

I've been running a security challenge in the past few weeks in my sig. I've had quite a few entries - some getting it, some getting half-way. I've released the second challenge today. So far - both have been relatively easy, but I plan to increase the difficulty as they progress. It's a fun and legal way to test yourself.

Also, make sure not to post the answers :) Send them privately to myself. I will reveal the results of each challenge after enough time progresses.

Full details here: http://www.depleted.org/~penfold/

All the best,

D.
    i knew a guy called penfold from hackers.com many years ago, interesting.

spag.unf ......

That's curious. So did I ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

cant anyone do these or would you need knowledge of binary code or other stuff?

Advertisement