Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The game is up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

Latvia is practically an eu member and the IMF went in there and was relentless, take a cold look at the figures and you will see that the sums dont add up anymore, our GNP is far too small to sustain out lavish public sector, we're doomed if we do and doomed when we don't, leave the euro and row our own boat!!!, was maggie thatcher right all along!!, up yours delors! as they once said in england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

The only worry is that the IMF is all about cutting the easiest things, so front line services, pensions, and social welfare would be hit
    The fat cat civil servents might escape it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

The public sector made this country uncompetative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Grimes wrote: »
    Heard from a mate who works in Anglo. They are expecting the IMF sooner rather than later.

Heard from a dog in the street that the IMF are coming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

DrumSteve wrote: »
    IMF? Arent we in the EU? the IMF wont be coming anywhere near us.
    The Germans are the EU, why should they bankroll the clowns running this shíthole? Would the Irish do it for them if the shoe was on the other foot...would we f**k.

Germans will be taking their ball and going home very soon, make no mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

mox54 wrote: »
    Latvia is practically an eu member and the IMF went in there and was relentless

Latvia joined the EU in 2004....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

poodles wrote: »
    sure Ireland will lose its sovereignty
    No, it won't. For all the chicken littles out there the fact is its been a lot worse in the recent past. You had marginal tax rates closing on 70% in the 1980s. Its not the end of the world, just the end of fianna fail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sizzler wrote: »
    Heard from a dog in the street that the IMF are coming ;)

His name wouldn't be rover would it?
    Cause a dog called rover told me the exact same thing, i told him we wont roll over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

and there i was thinking th3 s1aught3r was about to expose himself as starbelgrade's alternate account...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    No, it won't. For all the chicken littles out there the fact is its been a lot worse in the recent past. You had marginal tax rates closing on 70% in the 1980s. Its not the end of the world, just the end of fianna fail.

Finally a bit of common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

True but we didn't have the levels of personal and mortgage debt in the 80's that we do now...and that's alongside all the sovereign debt as well.
    Taxing our way out didn't work last time and is even less likely to this time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

At least the IMF may actually do something to tackle the problems. Our Patron Saint of Finance, St. Lenihan seems to be taking the Homer Simpson approach to getting out of a problem:

and there i was thinking th3 s1aught3r was about to expose himself as starbelgrade's alternate account...

Cheek !
    I'll have you know sir that I am my own man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Sure it'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

The game was up since the govt. forced through the Anglo-bailout/Nama heist; the only hope this country has of a decent future is that a new govt. come to power, disown this thievery and have a swift investigation into the fraud/corruption that has laid this low and swift prosecutions of those found guilty.
    Unfortunately, there is no reason to think the opposition have the will or leadership to do this.
    As for the public sector, there is serious reform needed; but blaming the public sector for our ills, as some here are trying to do, is frankly preposterous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

ascanbe wrote: »
    The game was up since the govt. forced through the Anglo-bailout/Nama heist; the only hope this country has of a decent future is that a new govt. come to power, disown this thievery and have a swift investigation into the fraud/corruption that has laid this low and swift prosecutions of those found guilty.
    Unfortunately, there is no reason to think the opposition have the will or leadership to do this.
    As for the public sector, there is serious reform needed; but blaming the public sector for our ills, as some here are trying to do, is frankly preposterous.

No. Sort the country out first, that's the most important thing. Investigate later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

bleg wrote: »
    No. Sort the country out first, that's the most important thing. Investigate later.
    As much as I hate FF, I agree. We're in way too much trouble at this stage.

As much as I hate FF, I agree. We're in way too much trouble at this stage.

Well actually I mean election in 3 weeks, sort the country out, then investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

bleg wrote: »

If the country was being sorted out properly, then investigation into the obvious cases of fraud that took place in Anglo-Irish Bank, for instance, would be part of the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

So the IMF comes in..

1. FF Thrown out ?
    2. IMF in charge
    3. IMF start cutting things all over the place
    4. IMF get there money back
    5. IMF leave ?

Is that the basics here? Can someone explain in short ina list what will happen. Will I lose my job (private sector) multi national company doing well.

Are the IMF a shower of money hungry mother ****ers that don't give a ****, and are like an enraged drugs dealer looking for money that starts to smash your windows in.

Or, actually a nice bunch of people. That just want there money back.

Also, who will be running the country ? FF on the IMF behalf or some new lad from the IMF will be in the dail calling the shots ?

• Advertisement

ascanbe wrote: »

Not blaming the public sector for our ills
    Just pointing out that trying to sustain an overpaid public sector when we are in danger of default is outragious at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

ah it will be ok. the guys who lent us the money might forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Why would the IMF come to ireland ????

Sure they only had one big hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

msg11 wrote: »
    So the IMF comes in..

1. FF Thrown out ? - The IMF don't care who is in charge of the country.
    2. IMF in charge - They come in and offer advice on how to balance the books.
    3. IMF start cutting things all over the place - The government has to do the cutting, on the advice of the IMF.
    4. IMF get there money back - No, after the books are balanced, the IMF gives a loan to the country as a signal to the markets that the country is no longer a basket case
    5. IMF leave ? Pretty much.
    msg11 wrote: »
    Are the IMF a shower of money hungry mother ****ers that don't give a ****, and are like an enraged drugs dealer looking for money that starts to smash your windows in.
    More like a crowd of accountants and economists with dubious ethical underpinnings and backing. In your job you probably have to fear reduced services and higher taxes, but its unlikely that you'll lose that job, unless their recommendations include increasing the corporate tax rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

1. FF Thrown out ? - The IMF don't care who is in charge of the country.
    2. IMF in charge - They come in and offer advice on how to balance the books.
    3. IMF start cutting things all over the place - The government has to do the cutting, on the advice of the IMF.
    4. IMF get there money back - No, after the books are balanced, the IMF gives a loan to the country as a signal to the markets that the country is no longer a basket case
    5. IMF leave ? Pretty much.

More like a crowd of accountants and economists with dubious ethical underpinnings and backing. In your job you probably have to fear reduced services and higher taxes, but its unlikely that you'll lose that job, unless their recommendations include increasing the corporate tax rate.

WoW. Someone who actually understands the IMF in AH :eek:

Plus most of these "sky is falling, here comes the IMF" barstool experts seem to forget we belong to the EU who have a 300bn fund set up to help out distressed economies.

Yea but we might be better off with the IMF than having European Finance Ministers devising Irish policy.

It pays to shop around for your bailout.:pac::pac::pac:

All these EU countries having economic difficulties will in the end lead to a more federal Europe. The Germans will now be able to dictate to other member states how they will be run and in the future demand much more of a say in what goes on. Despite the current difficulty of having to bail countries out, its probably a big win for those who are central to the EU project in the long run

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

And it would be the end of the FF mafia for a generation

Would somebody please tell me once and for all what the alternative is to the Fianna Fáil mafia? The way you're all talking, I should be expecting some sort of utopia when they are overthrown.

I've been looking at the Blueshirts, and they aren't looking promising. At all. And if the British queen pays us a visit, on previous performance we can expect the leadership of the Fine Gael party to be on their collective knees in front of her talking about how this is the "greatest day" in their collective lives. And meanwhile, the exact same civil service will be running the same Irish state.

But shhhhh it's all going to be so much better when the current shower are put out on their ear, even though we have precisely the same PR-STV clientalism electoral system which ensures every politician elected to Dáil Éireann must put local issues above that distraction known as legislative issues. We need a revolution to overthrow the current system, not merely overthrow the current rulers of that system, oh delusional ones. Wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Why would the IMF come to ireland ????

Sure they only had one big hit

Priceless.

Advertisement