Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The game is up

Options
  • 03-11-2010 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

With the bond yields at record highs today, despite the proposed cuts, if the government does not tear up the Croke Park agreement that ring fences the public sector from pay cuts, the IMF will be here very soon imo.
    I dont think think we can deal with the unions any longer. They are still arguing about people losing their "bank time" to collect cheques ffs :mad:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1103/ntma-business.html

The only hope now is if the FF led government falls soon and a new govt takes the necessessary steps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Waits for biggins.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

Any savings over the next 4 years will be wiped out by borrowing from the markets at 7.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Because a lot of public sector employees aren't already paying enough in levys on top of tax. Friend of mine worked 80 hours overtime in one roster and 20 hours in the next roster. Difference in money after tax and income levys for working the extra 60hours was about e120.

Get in and restructure the HSE. Worked in a hospital for a while and the amount of clerical staff being paid to sit on their holes is unbelievable. Bank holiday pay was triple time which for entry level pay grade(me) was €46 an hour. Crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'll bet Lenihan and Cowen are fighting IMF involvment so much because it will un-earth further scandlas that we all don't knwo about yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

I'll bet Lenihan and Cowen are fighting IMF involvment so much because it will un-earth further scandlas that we all don't knwo about yet.

And it would be the end of the FF mafia for a generation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Heard from a mate who works in Anglo. They are expecting the IMF sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

We are not looking for any money from them until next year so this rate doesn't mean much at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

laugh wrote: »
    We are not looking for any money from them until next year so this rate doesn't mean much at the moment?

It will probably be higher by then

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭big_show

The only hope now is if the FF led government falls soon and a new govt takes the necessessary steps

What new government? all the opposition are hopeless!

Someone should set up a Boards party...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

It will probably be higher by then

Or maybe not, there are plenty of actual sticks to beat the government with.

big_show wrote: »

Because the majority of Boards users aren't useless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

We have another 4 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I lost The Game when I read the thread title :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Look, the rate will only matter next March / April.

In the mean time, the Government are at the last chance saloon. International financial confidence in Ireland hinges on the budget. The cuts have to be significant enough to instil European and Global confidence in Ireland while at the same time be balance enough that we don't spiral into depression as money dries up almost completely.

Do the Government have what it takes? So far they haven't shown to have. I can't see this time around being much different.

IMF will be coming in.

This budget will be the last throw of the dice for the Government and the country.

When the markets don't react positively to the upcoming budget measures then the game really is up.

It makes no sense to borrow at 7.5% + when there is a pot of money available to us at 5% - sure Ireland will lose its sovereignty but it won't be such a bad thing.

The Croke Park deal will be ripped up for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The current bond rates are not immediately relevant as we have withdrawn from further finance procurement until after Christmas.

The budget falls between now and then, so there is an opportunity to turn the current International perception (i.e. CDS spreads) of our medium to long term future around.

I expect an IMF bailout in March of next year, but it won't happen until then and there are still moves to be made by the Government before we get to that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Grimes wrote: »
    Heard from a mate who works in Anglo. They are expecting the IMF sooner rather than later.

Anglo is first stop on the tour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Oh how the chancer nation has fallen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

poodles wrote: »
    IMF will be coming in.

This budget will be the last throw of the dice for the Government and the country.

When the markets don't react positively to the upcoming budget measures then the game really is up.

It makes no sense to borrow at 7.5% + when there is a pot of money available to us at 5% - sure Ireland will lose its sovereignty but it won't be such a bad thing.

No, the EFSF will be coming in. The IMF won't be allowed into an EU country as it will internationally embarrass the whole union. The EFSF will be less brutal, but what will they be able to do after a 7b budget? The Euro is going to be ruined though, and chances are a number of countries will revert to their old currencies.

Interesting times ahead, but Ireland is screwed for the next couple of years. Thank the gods I got rid of all my debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

big_show wrote: »

:rolleyes: More like a nazi party. According to the majority of threads on this forum we should have capital punishment, entirely scrap the public/civil service, get rid of free education and all social welfare recipients are junkies that can't mind their kids. Honesly a "boards party" would be much worse than FF ever could be.

curlzy wrote: »
    :rolleyes: More like a nazi party. According to the majority of threads on this forum we should have capital punishment, entirely scrap the public/civil service, get rid of free education and all social welfare recipients are junkies that can't mind their kids. Honesly a "boards party" would be much worse than FF ever could be.

Atleast they would get **** done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

You are probably right Confab - but they may go further to avoid embarrassment and protect the euro. The ECB may do some sort of under the table deal and not publicise the assistance.

I don't think they will let the euro fall without a serious fight. The european project politically would be in tatters if that happened.

Confab wrote: »
    and chances are a number of countries will revert to their old currencies.

Is that even possible anymore?

Confab - after a 7 billion budget they could go after the big hole that isn't going to be touched due to the croke park agreement and that's PS wages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

curlzy wrote: »
    Atleast they would get **** done.

I very much doubt it, you see how long it takes to agree on AH drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Uriel. wrote: »
    Look, the rate will only matter next March / April.

In the mean time, the Government are at the last chance saloon. International financial confidence in Ireland hinges on the budget. The cuts have to be significant enough to instil European and Global confidence in Ireland while at the same time be balance enough that we don't spiral into depression as money dries up almost completely.

Do the Government have what it takes? So far they haven't shown to have. I can't see this time around being much different.

Afaik bond rates affect the rate at which banks lend money so if the rates stay high we will be looking at huge jumps in interest rates over the next few months.

The 'game has been up' for quite some time but it seems that most people didn't pay attention during the hour of maths in primary school. The cuts that are required aren't politically possible and if they were somehow implemented it would just lead to mass defaulting on mortgages which would just lead to more money been pumped back into the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

IMF? Arent we in the EU? the IMF wont be coming anywhere near us.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Blah blah blah blah:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

...sick to the teeth of it..STFU:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Let them come! Can't wait to blow **** up like they're doing in Greece.

Advertisement