Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Women only' groups

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Trog wrote: »
    As a guy with a girlfriend, I hate this. I can't say I'll have the same opinion when I'm single... (Which will probably be as soon as she sees this thread. Or finds out I post on Boards. I was doing so well pretending not to be a nerd...)

"HEY GUYS I GOT A GIRLFRIEND!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The thing is, say I was to start a men only stroke-book club, for example. I'd be chastised for it and there'd be outrage.
    FYP

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

K-9 wrote: »
    Nope, not me.

Interesting take though. 1 poster posted an opinion, nobody agreed with the poster, nobody took them on, nobody challenged them, nobody took it seriously, nobody acted on said opinion.

But you take it as representing the Ladies Lounge in general!

I am saying that the "what about me/what about misandry" is a common complaint in that forum and I have read it many times from many different users including you there........and yet you use that same tactic here

that's all i'm saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

Sheeps wrote: »

That's how I lost the first 2...

Ok, one...

Ok, my mom pretended for my friends...

Ok, ok, a picture of my mom from when she was younger that I told people was my girlfriend. Get off my back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

As a guy with a girlfriend, I hate this. I can't say I'll have the same opinion when I'm single... (Which will probably be as soon as she sees this thread. Or finds out I post on Boards. I was doing so well pretending not to be a nerd...)

Why are you pretending to be something you're not? Oh yeah, you have a girlfriend. Good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

So has Trog, you guys should double date :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

donfers wrote: »
    I am saying that the "what about me/what about misandry" is a common complaint in that forum and I have read it many times from many different users including you there........and yet you use that same tactic here

that's all i'm saying

Well, I'll quote you in the Gentlemen's Club:
    Donfers wrote:
    Please, for the love of god, don't make this place become like tll

I saw in their recent feedback thread all sorts of interesting comments - one poster said she was aware that men used tll but didn't particular want to see them start threads or even read their posts, nobody batted an eyelid at the comment

You seem to attach huge significance to what one female poster posted in a Feedback thread, that nobody commented on because it was so outlandish and nobody agreed to.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Why are you pretending to be something you're not? Oh yeah, you have a girlfriend. Good luck with that.

Schoolboy error, really. And yes I am aware that pretending to have a girlfriend is an error a schoolboy would make, and no, that's not what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Schoolboy error, really. And yes I am aware that pretending to have a girlfriend is an error a schoolboy would make, and no, that's not what I meant.

A picture of a naked lady as your desktop background is not having a girlfriend.

Well, I'll quote you in the Gentlemen's Club:

You seem to attach huge significance to what one female poster posted in a Feedback thread, that nobody commented on because it was so outlandish and nobody agreed to.

i think you're digging an even deeper hole for yourself and contradicting yourself again

wasn't the consensus in that forum the other night to call people on their crazy and outlandish comments....yet nobody commented on her post as you say, not one dissenting voice, no infractions or warnings, nada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

donfers wrote: »
    i think you're digging an even deeper hole for yourself and contradicting yourself again

wasn't the consensus in that forum the other night to call people on their crazy and outlandish comments....yet nobody commented on her post as you say, not one dissenting voice, no infractions or warnings, nada

Because some posts are so idiotic there is no point replying. The fact that nobody replies means far more.

Sometimes silence speaks louder than words!

Hell, it happens on AH loads of times every day.

Why? Do you think loads of posters agree with it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

A picture of a naked lady as your desktop background is not having a girlfriend.

No, it counts as halfway though, and I've got two. ;)

Because some posts are so idiotic there is no point replying. The fact that nobody replies means far more.

Sometimes silence speaks louder than words!

Hell, it happens on AH loads of times every day.

Why? Do you think loads of posters agree with it?

I agree with you, kind of what I was trying to say in the thread on sexism there the other day

I don't think the majority agree to the extent of the extreme but genuine example I used but certainly some hostility to typically masculine
    views is prevalent there and that is their right

No, it counts as halfway though, and I've got two. ;)
    Two mickeys? ... cos you couldn't get that silly playing with just one.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Portmarnock Golf Club

In Ireland, at least, that's as far as you need to go.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=8986173
    A premier Dublin golf club can continue to bar women from membership, the Irish Supreme Court ruled Tuesday in a discrimination case inspired by similar protests against men-only clubs in the United States.

It's actually an easy-to-read and interesting opinion.

NTM

In Ireland, at least, that's as far as you need to go.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=8986173

It's actually an easy-to-read and interesting opinion.

NTM
    Interesting that the judgement used the word 'fraternisation', when 'frater' is the Latin for 'brother'.
    But in their majority judgment, the three Irish Supreme Court judges — among them one woman — noted that Ireland's law permits clubs to restrict membership to one sex, if that club's "principal purpose is to cater only for the needs of persons of a particular gender." Those needs included Portmarnock's central purpose of social fraternization, they ruled.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

To name a few:

Comedian (women are just not funny)
    Soldier (obvious)
    Fishermen
    Bouncers

Q; Whats the difference between female soldiers and toast?..

A; You can make soldiers out of toast!..

:pac:

A; Female soldiers can make toast!..

FYP

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Should that not be women and toast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

FrostyJack wrote: »

Give the lad a break, he's trying his best and that's what counts. :D

• Advertisement

Q: Whats the difference between female soldiers and toast?..

A: It's harder to make toast out of female soldiers...

Alternative FYP.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

FrostyJack wrote: »

Yup, I made a bollox of it.

O&O

Not your ornery onager

To name a few:

Comedian (women are just not funny)
    Soldier (obvious)
    Fishermen
    Bouncers

Ehhhhhhhhh......yeah, sure mate. You keep telling yourself that. :rolleyes:

Although, in fairness, I've never ever seen a female baggage handler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

^^ Jaysus, I wouldn't fancy trying to march in high heels as that girl had to. Even without the Bergen. The Iompaigh Theart would be a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Women only groups eh?

/automatically imagines a bunch of sexy lesbians in a room. Its a warm room, the radiators are stuck at a very high temperature. One by one all the women start removing their clothes.....

Comments like this are why there are women's only groups. We realize that for 90% of men these are just jokes and you don't honestly believe that women can't be soldiers and are only sex objects. But when these sorts of comment come up over and over again it gets tiresome. So sometimes you just want to have a discussion that does not devolve into being asked either your cup size or to go make someone a sandwich.

Ehhhhhhhhh......yeah, sure mate. You keep telling yourself that. :rolleyes:
    What's your point with that video? Apart from male soldiers setting themselves up....

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    What's your point with that video? Apart from male soldiers setting themselves up....

Are you saying you don't see any women in that video?

They're there, and they're mucking in. Women soldiers, men soldiers, there's no difference, they're all soldiers, they all get bollicked the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OP is disappointed he can't come in and pull pigtails eh

As long as there are "olol get back to the kitchen" or "sure what would a woman know" comments, there will be women's groups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The ones that do my head in are the [insert city here] businesswomen's associations. If there was a businessmen's association, there'd be uproar, claims of keeping business referrals between the male sex only, self promotion, etc - yet that's exactly what these businesswomen's associations do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement