Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** CAO - a few important points! (Change Of Mind closes 5.15 1st July)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

hdowney wrote: »
    do you have the course code there?
    I think it's DT025.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I think it's DT025.

350 points for that in 2010 :)

hdowney wrote: »
    350 points for that in 2010 :)
    How did you find it? Been looking for it for like a year now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

mtb_kng wrote: »
    How did you find it? Been looking for it for like a year now!

here is a link to where i found it:

http://www.careersportal.ie/courses/simple_search.php

i typed in your course code and got this:

http://www.careersportal.ie/courses/simple_search.php?s_course_title=&s_CAO_code=DT025&s_college=

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Or you could just check the CAO site for points for courses in past years ... here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Hey guys, was repeating and received my CAO number for this year but dropped out in February. Does anyone know how this will affect me? I presume last years points will be used but do I need to inform the CAO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Hey guys, was repeating and received my CAO number for this year but dropped out in February. Does anyone know how this will affect me? I presume last years points will be used but do I need to inform the CAO?

You'll need to have ticked that box on the CAO form that says you've done the LC in a year previous to 2011, and include your exam number. As far as they're concerned then, you're just applying again on last years results.

Ok thanks for that! I've done that and entered last years exam number as well so I should be fine.

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Ok thanks for that! I've done that and entered last years exam number as well so I should be fine.

Just thinking, had you got to that stage in school where you fill out those official LC forms and get a new exam number? If you had, you might have to let them know that you're not doing it this year, otherwise should be ok :)

Yeah I had just filled it out then realized I could do the same course in maynooth and be clear of it by 20 points. I'll get onto them in the morning anyway, appreciate the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

do they automatically know take your best hpat and LC result together??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

Joseph... wrote: »
    do they automatically know take your best hpat and LC result together??

I presume so, they couldn't offer you a place otherwise. What date is hpat out???

What happens of you accept an offer low down on the list, then you get your points boosted in a recheck; by the time you got the updated results you would already have started in college... Do you have to take a higher offer if you get it or is the course already filled up when you get the rechrcked results??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

YodaBoy wrote: »
    What happens of you accept an offer low down on the list, then you get your points boosted in a recheck; by the time you got the updated results you would already have started in college... Do you have to take a higher offer if you get it or is the course already filled up when you get the rechrcked results??

You can get offered your course but you don't have to take it afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Your right, you don't have to accept it, if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

I've selected as my first choice International French with a course code of DN531 which I got from the prospectus. The CAO electronic list appears to have recognised this course code. However I read the points list for 2010 on the CAO website international French had an entirely different code; DN057. This really threw me and I am worried that I have put down the wrong course code! Do codes change from year to year? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It appears UCD changed their codes this year. My course code changed from what I see.

If you did go up in points and get offered the higher course, it depends on the course as to what they do. Some courses will only take you the following year, so if you accept it they will hold a place for you next year. Other courses leave spaces for people who go up in rechecks.

ok thanks, i thought so. But how do the colleges facilitate that if the entry is limited to a certain number of places??? Do they keep some on stand-by for rechecks etc that may never happen and so leave places unfilled?

If you did go up in points and get offered the higher course, it depends on the course as to what they do. Some courses will only take you the following year, so if you accept it they will hold a place for you next year. Other courses leave spaces for people who go up in rechecks.

thanks. doesnt sound fair though to say you can go next year! not much of a consolation if your corrector screws up!

• Advertisement

thanks. doesnt sound fair though to say you can go next year! not much of a consolation if your corrector screws up!

Its not the best, but some courses can be very heavy going in first year, and may already have had some continuous assessment exams by November when the rechecks are back, so it wouldn't be at all possible to allow them in. For medicine, people were allowed join premed after rechecks, but they would never be allowed go onto first med as the first exams are in October.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

justified wrote: »
    I've selected as my first choice International French with a course code of DN531 which I got from the prospectus. The CAO electronic list appears to have recognised this course code. However I read the points list for 2010 on the CAO website international French had an entirely different code; DN057. This really threw me and I am worried that I have put down the wrong course code! Do codes change from year to year? :confused:
    Not normally, no, but they can.

Obviously, this year's codes are the ones you need to use for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

What is the competition generally like for NUIM Arts?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Its not the best, but some courses can be very heavy going in first year, and may already have had some continuous assessment exams by November when the rechecks are back,

They're back in mid-October. Some courses don't start until the end of September and with freshers week and stuff you prob wouldn't miss that much. But for Med I agree it would be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

karaokeman wrote: »
    What is the competition generally like for NUIM Arts?

Well it's the same as any course really. The points from last year will indicate what the competition is like. It is a little higher then that of other colleges offering Arts, due to the smaller college size and smaller capacity for in take of students, and so this means the points for NUIM arts is (was when I started there anyway) slightly higher than other colleges :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

If you're re-applying for CAO, do you have to send them a copy of your LC results? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

If you're re-applying for CAO, do you have to send them a copy of your LC results? :confused:

Nope you just have to make sure you ticked that you did the Leaving Cert last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aisxo

I'm starting to freak out.. MY first 3 choices are courses that i know i won't get enough points for. What is the likeliness of me getting offered my 4th choice or will everyone who has it in their top 3 ge offered it before me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

aisxo wrote: »
    I'm starting to freak out.. MY first 3 choices are courses that i know i won't get enough points for. What is the likeliness of me getting offered my 4th choice or will everyone who has it in their top 3 ge offered it before me?

Nope, if you have the points for it, you'll be in competition with all those who have it as there first choice. If you have more points than one of them, you'll get the course over them.

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat, I stuck with HL Maths, but it cost me in points big time. I don't think I'll get UL now (Mech Engineering is what I wanted to do there). The history paper was the nail in the coffin... :rolleyes:

Hopefully I'll still get Mech Eng in DIT (5th on list), but for some stupid reason I put cork it ahead of it, which I don't really want to go to... :(

Advertisement