Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

super strong running - well done. Perfectly executed plan.

The sub 3 in 2014?

If you had asked me that on Monday, i think the response would have been, "Im never running a Bl**dy Marathon again".

Today, im thinking how I can find 7m:25sec...:D:D:D

Thursday 31 October.

Just 5 easy miles to get the legs moving again after the Marathon. Nice sunny day in the Phoenix park. Slight niggle in the righ knee, i guess that is to be expected.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/397886622

DCM What worked... What didnt...

Given that I have now had a week off running, with much wine women and song, its probably a good idea to record what worked in terms of the training for DCM and what did not work so well:-

What Worked-

1. Structured week of training, with each workout having a propose. That coupled with a ridgid week of sessions.
    • Monday - Easy
    • Tuesday - Tempo (5 miles, 2*2, 4*1 etc...)
    • Wed- Easy
    • Thursday - MLR, With Hills
    • Friday - Rest
    • Saturday - Track Sessions
    • Sunday LSR
    2. Running with a group of similar paced people.
    3. Never getting injured. Luckily I had a full 16 weeks training without incident. What would i attribute this to ? Probably taking rest days when I felt they were required. Listen to the body etc. On average I would run 23-25 days per month, with Every Friday being a rest day.
    4. Bringing in decent run mileage to the start of the DCM program. Running 40+ Miles per week from Feb.
    5. Running last 11 miles of the DCM route 1 week out. See race report.
    6. Lots and lots of MP miles.

What did'nt-

Not much really...

1. Missing non specific races. Probably 6-7 races were missed as a result of the training.
    2. Impact on the day job. Having to slip out of work early to get to Tuesday and Thursday session, was difficult.
    3. Tired all the time, especially on Sundays. Only really noticed this since the training has stopped, and as a result have so much more energy.

Monthly Summary - Oct13.

180.7 miles covered.
    18 Days running out of 31 (Taper)
    13 Rest days (Gym, core 5 of 13)
    3 LSR's 20m, 18.5m (7:16avg), 13m
    4 Tempos 8-9 miles each.
    3 Hill session (Howth for 10 - 12.5 miles each)
    1 Parkrun in 19:25 gave it 80%
    1 Club 2*2m at race pace. 1 Week out.
    1 Massage
    1 Race DCM 13 - New PB by 7 mins.
    Marathon Weight 72.5Kg.

Plan for remainder of the year.

Just some easy running, for next 2 weeks.

Some Parkruns, some of the ALSAA winter 1m / 3000m.

Bit of XC.

More specific speed training and sessions in December for a PB crack at the Raheny 5 in Jan 2014.

Stay injury free !:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

great report!

• Advertisement

Just catching up.

Running has taken on a new level of enjoyment. Having stuck pretty closely to the 20 week marathon plan, its great just getting out a running with out a tarket pace / specific mileage goal in mind. No bloody Gels, or waters to drop at 12 and 18 miles !

Sunday 3 Nov.

7 miles, made up of 5 at steady pace. The Marathon pace seemes to be "baked" into my legs and running at 7:00 seems like the natural thing / pace to do. Was still fatigued, and rather that let 5 fast miles and a good average go to waist, I stopped and re-set the watch. Got in another 2 miles at easy pace.

7 miles total in 50mins odd.

Monday and Wednesday.

Just taking it really easy, lots of unhealthy eating and watching TV.:):) Also easy gym work.

Thursday 7 Nov.

6.5 miles in the Park at lunch time in 45 minutes. Nice to run in the autumn with leaves everwhere. 7:19avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/401035425

Sunday 10 Nov. - LSR

Down at the club house with a large group. Set out and lovely to run on the newly surfaced Howth Road (feels like a fast track). Down Vernon Ave, Sea front to Sutton Cross, and bact to Water mill Rd. Three layers to start with (temp at 4c). Got rid of leggins and Jacket at mile 3. Long sleve removed at 5, so just shorts and T from most of the run.

Nice to run fast with the lads again. :)

10.6 miles in 1:15 for 7:10 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/402812182

Brief Update...

Have picked up an injury on the Right knee, seems to be centered "behind the knee cap". Usually manifests itself after 10 minutes or running, with the pain building to the point where I can no longer run and need to walk / hobble home. Being present since the week after the marathon...

The weekly mileage has hit a new low of 4-5 miles :mad::mad::mad:.

Anyway going to take it really easy until Xmas and see what what for the new year. Pity as i was looking forward to some faster shorter running, including the Clubs Winter league, some XC and the ALSAA track series.

On the upside i have re-discoved the joy of beer, wine and the morning after hangover...

Another brief Update...

The injury in the right knee has been present pretty much constantly from early December. Went to the consultant in Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry this morning, with the MRI that I got done week before last.

His prognosis its is a damaged cartilage. On a scale of 1-4 (1 being minor damage, 4 being no cartilage remaining ), I am a 2...

His recommendation is a course of glucosamine for 3 months, and stay off the running for the same period...

Looks like a fast DCM 2014 is out the window at this stage... :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Another brief Update...

The injury in the right knee has been present pretty much constantly from early December. Went to the consultant in Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry this morning, with the MRI that I got done week before last.

His prognosis its is a damaged cartilage. On a scale of 1-4 (1 being minor damage, 4 being no cartilage remaining ), I am a 2...

His recommendation is a course of glucosamine for 3 months, and stay off the running for the same period...

Looks like a fast DCM 2014 is out the window at this stage... :mad::mad::mad:

Bad news Dave. Keep the head up.

Any swimming or cycling allowed?

Thanks Alan, yes he did mention the C word...

Going to give it a go and augment with plenty of phsyio and see where I am in March... Miracles can happen :confused:

• Advertisement

Better start posting again. :):):)

I have been off with an injury for the best part of 6 months. In hindsight and reading back over my logs I probably didn't take enough rest after DCM13, and a result damaged the cartilage in the right knee.

Alternately it was the build up of the training volume to the Marathon (maxed at only 55m per week), and the injury just happened to manifest itself 2 weeks after the Marathon (mid Nov). The symptoms were an acute and sharp pain "inside" the right knee and behind the kneecap. To the point where walking the 1 mile to and from my office was extremely difficult.

MRI results and an expensive consultation in Santry Sports surgery clinic, had me on 1500mg of DONA (Glucosamine Sulphate), for the last 3 months. I also augmented this with 3-4 trips to the gym each week, and a Pilates session each Tuesday for an hour. As a result (could have been the rest, the DONA or the Gym, Im not sure) but I'm now completely free of pain in the right knee.:D:D:D

Unfortunately excessive good living, no running and regular gym session have added a few pounds. My post DCM13 race weight was 72.5kg, I'm now a rotund and cherub like 80KG. My precious lung capacity built up over 15 months for regular training (LSR's, Sessions and easy) has also taken a hammering, as I now get out of breath after 3 flights of stairs in the office.

I have no specific race plans for this year, save NOT to run a marathon again. Ever...

Going to focus on shorter stuff for this year. Plenty of Park Runs for next few months. Dunsaughlin 10K, Dunboyne BHAA 5K, and the Race series in the park for the summer. I have absolutely no expectation for these races, save to enjoy the experience, and probably finish somewhere mid pack.

Also looking forward to the LSR with the lads, on the Sunday mornings along the coast. But that will be a few months as yet, as I would struggle (not a hope) to hold the 7:15-7:30 avg pace that we always used to run them at.

Anyway, its good to be back running again. :P

You only appreciate how good it is to run when you cant do it any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Good to have you back. Sounds like a very sound plan.
    I can relate 100% to the joy of getting back after a long layoff. If you're anything like me, your nearest and dearest will be happy to see you back and out of the house a bit more :)

Good to see you back, best of luck with the comeback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with the comeback, hope the knee holds up.

First Update in a while...

Had a few very easy runs over the last few days. I really do not want to stress the right knee, now that it seems to have completely healed, and I want to keep it that way.

Park Run - 19/April/14

Decided that the Malahide park run will be my road back to fitness, given it can be mostly run on grass, and its run on same course week after week, progress can be measured easily, its free and its close to the house.

Given that I had no running in the legs I started towards the back. Just kept the effort easy and, but after mile 2 and second hill the effort felt anything but easy. Finished in 114 place in 23:10. Its going to be a long time before running fast 5K's again.:mad:

Park Run - 26/April/14

A few of the Raheny club-mates were that as spectators, so I had to put an improved performance on last week. With a massive group running (500+)started about 10 rows back from the start this time.

Settled into a group of lads and gave it everything I had. Obviously upped the pace when running past my clubmates, and duly dropped it again shortly after. Felt slightly better, but running at 7:3X never seemed so hard. Finished in 49th place in 22:08, 1 min improvement on last weeks.

Park Run 03/05/2014 (Malahide)

The last couple of park runs have been relaxed affairs, but this weeks was the first where I experienced a small level of pre run nerves. Must be a good sign?

Ran as well as can be expected, effort levels seemed to be as high as past 2 weeks, but felt like I had no lung capacity to maintain this slightly faster pace, legs had no bounce, and no chance of dropping a gear to get past other runners.
    Running without training is learning to accept your limitations...

In saying that I did get to the finish in 20:59 for 45 place overall, so another 1 minute improvement on last weeks run. Pity the timing for the run seemed to messed up. With large groups of runners all getting a similar time. That's is going to play havoc with peoples PB if they do park runs regularly...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/493648259

Sunday 04/05/2014 - Easy

Just easy miles around the park, before the sons football match, which they went on to win 6-0 :P. Pace 8:00avg

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/493648303

Monday 05/05/2014 - Easy.

5 easy miles, again around Malahide park on the grass. Scone in Avoca after. Pace 8:08 avg.

Keeping it Easy...

Overall strategy is to keep things very easy, with low mileage, given that I'm only back a month at this stage.

Tuesday 06/May.

A couple of miles on the Grass around ALSAA, then went on to the track for 2*400 at 90sec. Just want to get some leg turnover, and get the lungs working a bit more than all the easy running.
    A host of niggles on ankles, knees and shins by 10pm... Probably silly evening attempting the track.

Thursday 08/May

Few miles around Malahide park at 8pm. Lovely running in the quiet.

Saturday 10/May

Parkrun Malahide. Wanted to better my time from last week (20:59). Quick chat with Des and Owen before the off. First mile 6:45, Second mile 7:02, last mile, seen Des about 20m ahead, pushed hard to catch him, on the last hill. Missed by 1 second to finished in 35 place and 20:58... 1 second improvement on last weeks time. Avg 6:50p/m

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/498038410

Probably wont see much more 5K improvement until I get more miles under the belt and some tempo and session work.

Sunday 11/May

Given that the Giro was running through Malahide, decided to run part of the course early. Plenty of the pink balloons and crash barriers...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/498038415

4.7 miles in 38mins.

Also 3 gym session during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Well done on Saturday. Sorry I couldn't keep up with you -- I was WRECKED (as you could tell from the way I was staggering around exhausted after I'm sure). Don't know whether I started off too fast or was still tired from runs in previous days. Having you ahead of me pulled me along in the last mile anyway :)

Hi Helen,
    I was blowing hard at that stage myself, and was happy to settle in with yourself for a bit.

Caught sight of Des with half a mile to go, but couldn't catch him.:mad: :mad:

Thursday 15/May

Phoenix park for a steady run at lunch time. Last time I ran here was mid November, so really nice to get back, especially now with the (slightly) improved weather. Had the Adizeros and the short shorts on, and felt fast as a result. 6 miles in 45mins.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/499876761

Saturday 17/May

Park run Malahide, felling a bit tired as a result of the PP and the Gym on Friday. In tow moods as to register my finish or not. As a result started way to far back, and lost a bit of time. 3.1 miles in 21:07. Average...

Hopefully ill be in session shape from next week, as I need the faster stuff to get the time down.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/502619554

Sunday 18/May

First LSR back with the lads, down to the clubhouse at 7:50 for an 8am start. Great to see the old faces again, even if I couldn't hold a conversation at easy pace yet. The lads were doing 12, but I decided on a handy 7.5m instead. 7.5 m @ 7:37avg in 58mins. Grand.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/502619569

Bit wreaked all day as a result... Slept for 11 hours last night...

• Advertisement

20/05/2014 - Tuesday - Tempo

Get to push myself at least 1 day per week, to get back into some sort of shape. Decided on the natural 10K loop (bit longer) in Raheny from the tennis Courts, Fairview, coast road, and watermill. 6.3miles in 46mins. for 7:18avg.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/504551152

21/05/2014 - Wednesday

Gym for medium workout.

22/05/2014 - Thursday - PP

Nice run in the PP, felt good if a little tired. Probably some residual tiredness from the Gym and tempo. 6.5 miles in 48min for 7:27 avg.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/504638848

25/05/2014 - Sunday - Steady

Ran in Raheny with the lads, (well set off with them), but could not hold the pace. Got dropped after 1 mile. Nagging pain in the right shoulder which probably caused a lack of sleep last night. Also a few beers watching the football.
    7.6 miles in 60minutes for 7:54avg. Disappointing run...

Role on BHAA...

Dunboyne 5m

Love this race, and have ran it for the last 3 years. Unfortunately being off the pace recently I was only treating it as a bit of fun, more of an opportunity to see the hedge rows, cows and sheep and suck up the country smell (that farm yard at mile .7)...

Given that this was the first proper race since DCM13 (not counting the few park runs), the plan was to simply run under 35min, anything else would be a bonus.

Before the start, said hello to most of the club mates that were running, and lined up well back from the start line, mostly to the rear of the field.

Mile 1 (7:01) , The usual jockeying for the correct position, passing and being passed. Nice to be running on closed roads, and have the pre tense race feeling ebb away with the pace effort.

Mile 2 (6:48), Found the going easy, but given that any running I have been doing at this pace were only 3.1 mile, I decided to hold on and not push ahead.

Mile 3 (7:00), privately didn't want to see any 7:00+ miles, and was disappointed to see this one pop up on the 610. Anyway convinced myself that it didn't matter... It does bloody matter Dave...

Mile 4 (7:02) ahh jesus.

Mile 5 (6:38), Moving well now and reeling plenty of people in at this stage. But the effort levels were high as a result. See the 800m remaining sign and pushed again. Got a shout out from MrsDrak at the entrance to the club. On to the track now and really pushed, but not much there. Got past a few other to finish in 34:32 on the Garmin.

Happy enough with the time, given it was just a little tester race.

Need to get some session in the legs again. Get some decent mileage again, and most importantly shed some weight.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/508633512

Great to see some of the fellow boardies (AMK, Statss, Cianc, Tom Joad) after for some coffee and buns...

Bit of a gap in the posting of late. I'm kind of in no mans land in terms of running at the moment. The come back from injury has been fine, and as result I'm getting out to run 4 days a week, but don't have a clear goal race or pace in mind. Part of this stems from some pictures I took after DCM13, where I looked like a skeleton (72kg), and looked terrible. Im a more robust 80kg at the moment and at least I can fill my T-shirts properly again.

Another thing is that with the extra weight I cant hold the pace with any of the club lads I would normally run with. Even LSR are usually run in the 7:10 - 7:20 range and for anything more that a mile that is to hard a pace to hold on to at the moment. Anyway enough of that self pity ****e...

31/May - Saturday
    Park Run Malahide - The now standard Park run. To handy to pass up, now that I'm not doing sessions. Finished well back in 21:16.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/512897464

01/June - Sunday
    6.4 miles in Sligo, on the strand road, almost to the now closed strand-hill airport, fantastic scenery. Out and Back as I didn't want to get lost up there in the wilds. Up there for a MrsDrak party.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/512897475

05/June - Thursday
    On holidays in Portugal with the younger son, staying in the ex wife's place... 6.5 Miles in Quinta do Lago on the quiet roads. Lovely running, if a little hot at 26c @ 8:00am.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/519573197

06/June - Friday - 4.8 miles Quinta Running.

07/June - Saturday 1.6 miles + Gym work and Core

08/June - Sunday 6.3 miles Quinta.

11/June - Wednesday 6.8 miles Quinta. Had to run under a few of the garden sprinklers to keep the temperature down. Probably around 28c @ 8am.

14/June - Saturday
    Parkrun Malahide - Bit tired after the holidays. So started near the back of the pack. Finished in 50th place for 21:24
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/521827088

15/June - Sunday.
    LSR on my own, with great weather its easy to run. 7.75 miles in 58minutes for 7:33avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/521827095

Dunsaughlin 10K on Saturday, and one of my favourite races, so looking forward to that, if only for the tea and buns...

Time to knuckle down Dave !

Decided that the slow come back from injury is officially over, and I need to get back some level of respectability when it come to race times / Tempos / LSR. At its most basic I want to be able to run with the lads on a Sunday morning again and not suffer the "shame" of getting dropped at mile 2 every time. Anyway rant over....

Tuesday 17th June

6.9 miles @ steady pace in Malahide park with Brian K. I say steady as I was finding it hard to hold on to 7:50avg, probably due to a head and throat cold coming. Energy levels were low, and the weather was very hot.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/523158712

Wed + Thurs + Friday

Gym each day at lunch time - Enjoying the Gym at the moment, but it is probably responsible for me holding on to the weight (just under 80kg). Still at least I can fill to T-shirts properly...

Saturday 21st June

Dunsaughlin 10K. No point in a full race report as this was just a leg stretcher. Didn't even get the usual bout or nerves before the race. Got there in plenty of time. Brief warm-up with John F, before heading up to the start line. Started near the back of the field and off after a 10 minute delay.

Moved past plenty of runners until I got into my race pace group. Mile 1,2 7:10, 7:10. Nice country side and lovely to run on close roads. Loads of support. Mile 3,4 7:18, 6:58. Amazing how you can drop pace when not focused on what you are doing.
    Plenty of Water tables, but only used them once. Mile 5,6 - 7:20, 6:54. Wound it up for the last 1/4 with a 6:15 avg. Crossed the line with a decent sprint.

Great race, probably in my top 3 - (Raheny 5, Dunboyne 5 and Dunsaughlin 10K). Finished in 44:29, same time to the second as 2012, but nearly 6 minutes slower that last year...

Nice to chat to cianc about the race and running in general on the way home.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/526776749

Sunday 22nd June.
    Sunday LSR, from the club @ 8am. With the race only finished 11 1/2 hours ago, I was pretty tired, still the great weather helped to get out for a few miles with the lads. Most of the group had also run last night, so no tired excuses could be used. 7.7 miles in 58minutes for a 7:39 avg. Easy for the first 2-3 miles, then continually harder as we went on. Got dropped after mile 3 anyway.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/526776758

A total of 65 miles this month so far...

Monday 23rd June

Gym for upper and core workout.

Tuesday 24th June

Normal service has resumed... Decided on the Raheny 5 race route for a spot of "Tempo Tuesday". This is the first specific session I have done since coming back, so wasn't holding out for much. Still happy with 5 miles @ 6:50avg, with all the miles sub 7, including the last mile mostly uphill on watermill rd. Happy to be running with some pace again, it feels right...

Next, need to get back into club sessions, to get that leg turn over.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/528111406

Wednesday 25th June

Gym for core and general strength.

Thursday 26 June.

Still not following any plan, or indeed decided on what key race for the next period. That being said I need to get the components of a proper training plan in place, before hitting them hard with the club lads.
    Ventured up to ALSAA for a spot of track fun with MrsDrak. Started with 1.5 miles around the fields, talking to her (not a runner) about pace, effort, and easy running, and the wonderful benefits that can accrue.
    Changed into the DS Racers, for the reps. Just 4*400 to start with.

Rep1 83s
    Rep2 84s
    Rep3 83s
    Rep4 78s - Wanted to push it a bit...

Nice to get out on the track again, but id forgotten the concentration required when trying to hold a high pace. Still great to get it done.

Friday June 27th

Rest Day, being training for last week and a bit with out a rest day. :p

Saturday 28 June.

Parkrun Malahide - Had being going backward with these over the last few weeks 21:2X... As I said to myself a few days ago, I need to knuckle down and get in some quality running again. Started near the front of the pack, and headed off at 6:37 for the first mile. Second mile always slow here, @ 6:55 (way to slow). But for first time im Parkrun this year, I was nearer the front of the pack that the middle. Last mile and blowing hard in 6:46, with the last bit 6:15 for a 20:34 for 33rd place overall. Happy enough.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/531538402

Sunday LSR.

Not many down for this as the 5 mile was on in the PP the day before. Headed off with the first group with 5 of us running. Lost contact with them at mile 4, but managed to get in 9.3 miles in 70 minutes for 7:32avg. With a few decent paced miles at the start.

Longest run this year...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/531538408

Tuesday 01 July - Tempo Tuesday.

Tempo session with John F, on the Raheny 5 race route. Started with 2 miles of Warmup on a very warm evening. Plan was to come in under 34mins for the 5 miles. No problem for JF, but I would still struggle at that pace. First 2 miles handy enough, but began to hurt after mile 3, and dropped shortly after. Still 5 miles in 33:59 for 6:47avg pace. Seem to be getting some pace back :cool:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/538328171

Holidays !!!!

Wednesday 02 July - Easy miles.

Just easy mile around Malahide park before the flight. 4.5 miles in 37 minutes on grass.

Friday 04/07/2014 - Marrakech.

3.2 Easy miles in Marrakech. Temperatures around 36c - 37c at 12:00pm, but almost Zero humidity, resulting in feeling like my throat cracking open after a few miles. The only pace here is slow @ 8:06avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/538328188

Saturday 05/07/2014 - Marrakech - 4 miles. Worst traffic in the world ???

Sunday 06/07/2014 - Marrakech - 3.1 miles.

Monday 07/07/2014 - Marrakech and a change of hotels out to the "countryside". Many small and blind roads and a good chance of getting lost. Temperatures now 40-42 (in the shade) each day.
    Had to soak the t-short and running cap before venturing out, for a run. But the body was starting to acclimatise. While the first few days is was almost impossible to hold on to 8:00pace, now 7:30 was almost possible. :cool:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/538328212

Tuesday 08/07/2014 - Marrakech - 4 miles. Stopped briefly to pick a fresh orange from a road side tree, to get some moisture, any moisture. Nicest orange iv ever had.

Wednesday 09/07/2014 - Marrakech - 2.5 miles.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/538328242

Nice work MrD - you and tbl would get along well!

• Advertisement

If I write it down, I will probably do it, so:-

Saturday
    ALSAA track session (not a club one) as the lads are on hill reps at the moment, and im not going there yet. - 2 miles + 8*400 @ < 88 sec + 2miles

Sunday
    LSR, 10 miles on the sea front route @ < 7:30avg.

Saturday 12 July - 8*400

Had to do these on my own in ALSAA as the rest of the lads were doing hills reps in Howth, and Im not strong enough for those yet. 2 miles warm-up around the fields, with Bunnies, Boeing and Airbus's and for company. Then changed into the DS-Racers for the reps.

1- 85
    2- 88
    3- 89
    4- 86
    5- 87
    6- 88
    7- 88
    8- 78 - Had to give it all for the last one (4:45 pace).

Forgot how hard it is to "stay on the moment" with these hard efforts.
    Then 1 mile warm-down on the track. Was empty all day after this.

Sunday LSR.

Wreaked getting up for this one, but had to give it a go. Settled into a nice group and held on for 4 miles.

9.3 miles in 1:12 for 7:48avg pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/541288549

Just registered for the Frank Duffy the Dublin half and the Rock and Roll...

Thinking hard about the Athlone 3/4...

Just registered for the Frank Duffy the Dublin half and the Rock and Roll...

Thinking hard about the Athlone 3/4...

I'm doing the 3/4 this year, mainly as a training run .
    Not too sure what pace, as I'm pacing 3:40 in DCM.

I missed Registering for the Fingal10K this Sunday, with the stupid holidays :(, home race and all that...

Yeah, don't know what to expect with the 3/4, if im doing it (and I probably will) ill be running it as a "sightseeing trip", in other words nice n easy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm doing the 3/4 this year, mainly as a training run .
    Not too sure what pace, as I'm pacing 3:40 in DCM.

The 3/4 ususally looks for pacers on boards, I'll be intending on taking one of those spots myself.

• Advertisement

Tempo Tuesday.

The now regular Tempo Tuesday run with John F, on the Raheny 5 course. 2.4 mile warmup on the Wade Ave course, then 1 min rest and off.

Just wanted to hold on for as long as possible and come in around 34 mins for the 5 miles. First few miles 6:37, 6:43, 6:51, after the 3 mile split notification on the Garmin 610, it froze ? (i.e. the split notification remained rather that clearing after 5 seconds ??, the stop watch also stopped !)...

Probably slowed slightly as I could not hold on to John's pace. Prob finished in around 34 for the 5 miles, for 6:50ish avg.... Followed that with 1 mile warm-down.

Wednesday 16th

Gym for medium workout, legs, and core.

Thursday 17th - Phoenix Park.

What a great day for a lunch time run in the PP. Work is dead so heading out shortly :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thursday 17 July. Phoenix Park easy.

6.6 miles around the park on the roads nice n ease... Used the orange Adizero's for a change (rather than the DS Trainers). The harder compound make them feel fast for this kind of distance. Shirt off as usual :cool:

6.6 miles in 51min for 7:50 avg.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/543381771

Rest tomorrow (maybe some core gym stuff), a few slow miles on Saturday. Then see how Sunday goes !!!

63 miles for the month so far, with minimal miles for the 8 days of holidays, getting back to some normality.

Fingal 10K.

Great to have a home race like this, no travel, no parking restriction, and a nice clean loo before :)

Just a brief warm-up of over a mile. Had on the new Asics 33, that I got on special (€60) on Saturday. They proved a bit to hard for a 10K so, popped back to the house and put on the trusty DS trainers.

Lined up about 20 rows back, and off after 10 minutes. First 2 miles 6:39, 6:36 steady enough, got the shirt off after turn at first roundabout, as temp felt about 20c +. How can some lads run in leggings ?? Slight drag at mile 2 out towards the country side. Madness as usual at the first water table, can imagine what it must have been like at the end of the race. Mile 3,4 6:56, 6:59, pushing hard, but little speed in the legs, and still not able to drop a gear to get past anyone.

Always nice to run on closed country roads, course remains me of the Dunsaughlin 10K, possibly not a nice. Great to see the civil defence and the water spray around mile 5. last 2 miles in 6:47, 7:04. Disappointed to see a 7:XX on the watch for a 10K. Wound up for the last .2 and finished in 42:26 for fastest 10K this year... Happy enough...

After the race brought the older son out for lunch in Malahide to get rid of his hangover, then fell asleep watching the golf...

Tuesday 22/07/2014.

Didn't have JohnF to rely on for the usual tempo effort, so decided to upload a 2*2 mile interval plan I had on Garmin connect, and use this instead. Got to Raheny and tried to access the plan, which I then found out had not uploaded, despite confirmation that it had. Decided to just run it by watch display.

2 miles easy,
    2 miles at around 6:45,
    3 mins jog,
    2 miles at 6:45,
    1 mile easy...

Complete disaster, warm up miles to fast at 7:15.. Mostly Held the first 2 mile interval at 6:48 avg. Blowing hard on the 3 min recovery. Found it impossible to hold pace on the second 2 mile. I still had the 10K Fingal race in the legs. Just ran at steady pace for remainder.

Thursday 24/07/2014 - PP Easy.

Just 5.3 easy miles around the PP. Ran across fields, and was attached by swarms of flies. Found out that the files can hold 8min pace. Had to drop down to 7:45ish for next 3 miles to loose them.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/548424776

Saturday 26/07/2014 - ALSAA Track Session

Session on my own, as im still worried by joining up with the lads until im a bit stronger. 2 mile warmup followed by 8*400:-

Rep1 - 84 - DS Racers
    Rep2 - 84
    Rep3 - 85
    Rep4 - 85 - Changed into the new Asics 33's
    Rep5 - 83
    Rep6 - 84
    Rep7 - 89 - Back to DS Racers
    Rep8 - 82

1 mile warm down to finish.

Sunday 27/07/2014

Usual LSR, but decided not to run with JohnF and Maria, as they are now pretty confirmable at 7:00 - 7:10 for 15+ mile. No point in flogging myself like that when im not doing DCM.
    Decided on my fav route, the 10miler from the club house, to Sutton, and then the coast road and back. Also took in Cork- screw-hill for the water tap (Best feeling ever).

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/550413353

No idea where the additional 2 hills either side of cork-screw on the Garmin elevation profile came from?

26.2 miles for the week...

Tuesday 29/07 - 2*2 Interval.

After the disaster that was my interval effort last Tuesday, decided that I needed to do it properly this time. Thankfully I had the company of the John's for this.

2 miles easy,
    2 miles at around 6:45,
    1 mile Steady,
    2 miles at 6:45,
    1 mile easy...

2 mile warm-up with most of the DCM13 gang. Great to catch up again, and would put you in the mood for another crack at Dublin... Just myself and the JohnF's for the Intervals. Off for first and within 600M I got dropped, with the lads probably running at 6:20. Soldiered on and completed first 2 mile in 13:32 for 6:46 avg.

Just about caught the lads again at end of easy mile. This time they suggested that I lead out. This provides a different mind set, while I mostly gave up on the first interval after I got dropped, I dug in for the second 2 mile, vowing to got get passed. Duly finished in 13:30 for 6:45 avg, felt good, but totally empty.

Finished the session with 1 easy...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/552880951

• Advertisement

Friday 01/08/2014 - PP Easy

Just easy miles in the Phoenix park at lunch time. 6.6 miles on mixed surfaces @ 8:10 pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/554442693

Rock and Roll Half Marathon.

My longest run since DCM13 had been last week with a 10.1 miles, so a half would probably prove to be a bit of a stretch for my current endurance level. Decided that I wanted something around a 1:38ish, so not to fast and not to slow...

Started out in the second start pen, with a few of the other club runners, including RedRunner. Nice to settle the nerves with a chat before the off.

First few miles, the usual settling into the pace group. Plenty of support along the route through the city centre. Miles 1,2,3 - 7:12, 7:14, 7:14. Lost some concentration around Kilmainham and the pace dropped to 7:30 for 4th mile. On to the DCM route in opposite direction. To be honest the bands were giving me nothing, but a head ach, with the exception of the samba band at St Marys in the PP, good work lads...

Next few miles were 7:16, 7:29, 7:39, 7:10. for the most part the route was good, with little or no surprises. The few hills were fine running at steady pace, as opposed to running on the limit, where they take far more out of you. Also nice where the routes came together and you could see the leaders zipping past.

Got a slight cramp in the right calf at mile 10 on the Furze road, but the sight of the girls in the cheer leader costumes, made me forget about it:D. Running down to the furry glen, was probably unwelcome, given the climb up out of it shortly after. Last full mile at 7:18, with the dash to the line down to 5:33 pace. Got past about 10 runners there... Reasonably happy with the race, and the performance...

Finished in 1:37:13 for 7:21avg pace in 494 place...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/558393436

Great to see that the club performed so well, with Mick C, the top Irish man (3rd). Raheny also winning the Team Gold, Team Gold for the 035, and O50...

Wednesday 06/Aug - Malahide park - Easy

Just 4 miles around Malahide park at easy pace, as the son was football training.
    4 miles in 33:35 for @ 8:22 pace.

Thursday 07/Aug - PP - Easy

Nice easy miles around the PP on Thursday lunch time. Bumped into AMK on the hill at St Marys and ran together for a few miles. Good to catch up, which makes the miles go all the faster...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/559244594

6.7 miles in 51:35 for 7:42avg

Usually get a taxi from the Wolfe Tone Quay, but after flagging down 10-12, decided that id run to the office instead. Not nice running in the city centre, don't know how some people do it ???

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/559244609

Another 1.1 miles @ about 8min pace...

Sutton to Howth 10K

Didn't know this race existed until it appeared in the Event section about a week ago. Given its not too far from the house, and was on my Thursday MLR route from DCM last year, decided to give it a go.

Turned up at 9ish and registered, got in a mile warm-up with Damo M. Efficient race briefing and lined up on time. The course profile as pretty straight forward first 5K up hill, next 5K down hill. 440 feet of ascending for first half, 440 descending for second half.

Set off towards the back of the field, had no targets and no idea of finish time, just to have a good run on a sunny Saturday morning. Moved through the field quiet quickly, and got into the pace group after 2-3 minutes still on the flat, somewhere around 40th place. You could hear an audible groan from the massed runners when we hit the start of the hill at about .5 mile. I consoled myself that I had run this many times in training in the past and it would not be so bad. Mile 1 7:48.

The second mile is still mostly up hill, but there is some respite at mile 1.3 for a few hundred yards, then up again. Still passing a few lads that had set off to quickly. Temperature was building quickly with effort levels and strong sun. The top had to come off as usual. Passed a girl with a camel back, that sounded full ?? WTF, talk about making things harder that they need to be ??? Mile 2 7:33. From mile 2-3 the gradient smooth's out slightly. The views of Dublin bay were great given the fine weather.

4 minutes from the top were passed by the leader on the way back down, followed by Damo M in second place. The half way point was at the summit car park, and a drinks stop. 4-5 lads ahead of me were stopped and taking on water. I didn't take on anything kept going, and as a result made up a few more places. Mile 3 7:51.

Great to be now heading back down and see the groups of runners behind still struggling up hill. Tried to run easy and up the pace, but still difficult to drop a gear when in races. Mile 4 7:04, and still passing the odd runner.

Mile 5 heard footsteps behind, and a triathlon guy moved up to my shoulder, running well. We ran shoulder to shoulder, matching strides on the final descent for 3/4 mile. He would push, then I would respond. Made my break with 800m to go with a shout out of encouragement from a marshal. Mile 6 - 6:16.

Next began to close down in a young guy ahead suffering badly. Really opened taps for the last .2, but couldn't catch him, finishing 1 second behind. Last .2 in 5:42 and finished in 19th place in 45:03.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/562397769

Good race, and happy to acquit myself well. The time meant nothing with all the climbing, but happy to have held off the Tri guy, and finished strongly.

Sunday 10Aug - LSR.

Was never going to be to long after the 10K the day before. Couldn't sleep, so up to the sound of torrential rain at 6:00. Running from the clubhouse at 7:15am. Soaked to the skin after 5 minutes.

7.1 miles in 57 minutes for 8:00avg

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/562397776

Tuesday 12th August - 2*2 mile

2*2 session from the clubhouse on the Raheny 5 route. Was supposed to be on my own for this one as M and M were doing other stuff. Bumped into Johnny and did this together. 2 miles warm-up, 2 miles @ 6:38, 1 mile easy @ 8:02 then 2 @ 6:58 (J had to stop and weight for me on this one) ???, then 1 mile easy.

Still no sign of the speed coming back into the legs or capacity to hold a high tempo ??? I would have thought that after 4 months return to running, including everything I should be doing, I would have better speed endurance than this ???

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/564646664

Mon + Wed + Friday - Gym for light workouts...

Thursday 14th Aug - MLR

The dreaded MLR from last year... 13 miles at steady pace with Howth Hill thrown in for good measure. Ran with J and M and a new guy to the group. Given that are all running at sub 3 pace, I was never going to hold on to long. Got dropped before the hill started at mile 4. Only ran to the top of second hill, turned there and ran back.

10.9 miles in 1:22 for 7:35 avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/567918109

Sat 16th Aug - Track Session.

Easy session on ALSAA track. 2 miles warmup, .75 warm down, and 5 *400. Was still beat after the week of training, so decided on 5 and not 8.
    89-79 seconds per rep.

Sunday 17 Aug - LSR

Sunday LSR, similar to last week, couldn't sleep so went out early. Running at 7:15am, from clubhouse. Bumped into M putting out the bottles for their 20miler. Then ran with PB for a mile. Finished the run with 10miles out to Sutton dingy and back club in 1:20 - 7:58avg.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/567918209

Tuesday 19/Aug/2014 - 2Warmup, 2Tempo, 1E, 2Tempo, 1Warmdown

Similar session to one last Tuesday, and had the benefit of the two John's for this one. Given they are both faster that me , I volunteered to be the "rabbit" and set out with a 1:30 lead.
    The mind set when you are being chased down by faster lads, versus one where you have already been dropped is very different.

First 2 mile rep in 13:05 for 6:33avg pace. Happy that I ran strong and held form. Second one in 13:31 (to much of a drop in pace) @ 6:46 avg. Constantly thinking that the lads were going to catch me, again held form and finished relatively strongly.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/569443041

Wednesday 20/Aug - Easy

Easy miles around Malahide park, as the son was football training.

4.8 miles in 40 minutes, all on Grass. Followed by 4*80 strides at about 80% pace, bar the last one where I got down to 3:26pace for the mile :D

No more running until Frank Duffy on Saturday Morning, as the knees are a bit sore...

Frank Duffy 10M

Had no real targets for the race, rather just run it as hard as I could and see where I came. Parked up just inside the Ashtown gate before 8:30 and watched as the usual packing chaos unfolded over the next hour. Bumped into JohnnyF and did a 1.5 mile easy warmup. Lined up about 30 rows from the start. The weather was perfect for running with temps around 10-11c, sunny and no wind.

Gun went off and settled into a confirmable sub 7:00 pace, with the usual jostling for position on Chesterfield road for the first mile. The slight down hill here helped the pace @ 6:51 for 1st mile and decided there, that I'd try to hold sub 7 for the whole race. Mile 2 past the Zoo, and plenty of encouragement from the Macaws. Attractive blond girl trying to pass me on the right, upped my pace to hold her off (and show off a bit, at my age I should know better). Mile 2 6:57. Mile 3,4 uneventful, bar slowing for a water at the first drinks station 3-6:55, 4-6:56. On to chesterfield, and paths here very narrow, so limits any passing ability, up to the castleknock gate. Down to the roundabout and still moving past slower runners. Hit the half way point at around 34:25.

Always find running chesterfield easy and can maintain pace here. mile 6,7 6:46, 6:45. Blond girl again tried to pass at the drinks station, decide not to take a drink and push on. Out of the park and on to Chapelizod road, this is a "dead" section of the race. Nobody seems to make any passing moves, or indeed gets passed. Pace drops, and have to work to get it back to 6:48 for mile 8.

Back into Park and up Glen road, blond girl again, Jesus she is not giving up. I push on again, but pace is inevitably going to drop, going up the hill. Mile 9 7:18 (disappointed). Last mile and tried to up the tempo, but nearing my current running limits. Pushed on past a few more runners and across the line in 69:00 for 499th position and 34th age group..

Pretty happy with the result. With more volume and specific session another 3-4 minutes to come off that again...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/573408811

Sunday LSR - 24th Aug

Big group out considering most of them ran Frank the day before. Headed out at the front for a few miles. Pushed the pace on the sea front, with 2 miles under 7:00m/m.

9miles total in 1:07 for a decent workout.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/573408817

Also received the new Asics DS trainers 19 in the post, but they seem to small, I have exactly the same size in the DS trainer 18s and they are fine ???

Seriously thinking about changing to Nike...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Yo Dav....sorry...Mr.Drak!
    It's Al here! I haven't seen you since DCM'13! So great to read/hear that you're back and running well. Hope preparations for DCM are going to plan. I'll be following this thread now so careful what you say! :D
    Very best of luck over the coming weeks. Go get that Gold!

Al,

Jesus long time... Where have you been hiding all this time?

I was actually out running with JohnF and Gavin last night for the first time in ages. John is flying at the moment, and Gav is mostly back from injury.

My come back is taking way longer that expected however :mad::mad:

Pop down for a few miles "steady miles" at some point...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Al,

Jesus long time... Where have you been hiding all this time?

I was actually out running with JohnF and Gavin last night for the first time in ages. John is flying at the moment, and Gav is mostly back from injury.

My come back is taking way longer that expected however :mad::mad:

Pop down for a few miles "steady miles" at some point...

There shouldn't be any 'steady miles' at this stage!!
    I'm good. Had great plans for this year but have been ill for a while now. Still no end in sight and doing all sorts of tests. Running is banned along with anything else fun!
    Went down to watch league race last night. Great seeing Johnny. Still mad as ever. He mentioned JohnF was flying too. He always is!?Trains like a beast. Hope he gets it this time around. Again, great to see you're back at it. I'll be back down whenever I get the go ahead from Docs.
    Give my regards to the gang next time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement