Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Its all about Time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Saturday 11/01/20 - St Annes Park run.

A nice 1.5 mile warm-up with DF, before the off. A strong wind from the South West was blowing across the avenue, and mostly into face for the rest of the course. A big contingent down as per usual. Off at 9:30 and settled into a tempo pace for the first mile - 7:16. The wind was swirling for most of the course, with no real advantage being had. Second mile in 7:08, and passed a few more groups of runners. All out for the last mile in 6:53, and finished in 21:46 for 7:03 and 57 place overall.

Only really documenting this result to serve as a baseline as to where Im at right now. Going to schedule a few months of faster paced running and see where we get to. Considered returning to Micks sessions on Tuesday, but never enjoyed the uneven grass surface in the dark.

General Update.

The knee pain and general fatigue that has been dogging me for the last 6 - 7 weeks is beginning to let up. Not exactly sure why at this stage, however the very reduced run volume is probably helping. Trying to eat a little better, not that I have a bad diet, rather trying to incorporate a little more fruit / veg and go meat free at least 3 day per week, and finally reduce the sugar to almost zero. Have upped the gym sessions also, finding that I'm hitting 4 sessions per week. Seems to have provided added flexibility and some added core strength.

Wednesday 22nd Jan - Raheny Winter League Round 4 - 2 miles.

Spoke to Dave F before the race and said that i would be using the new Nike Vapor-Weve, and was expecting great things. Did the warmup and felt as if the feet were "slapping" into the ground. Similar to the feeling i got from the last pair of Kayanos ever bough back in 2015. Ditched them in favor of the trusty Pegasus 34, and lined up at a few row back.

First lap in 6:40, and feeling good. Upped the pace for the second lap and reeled in a few others. Was closing in on Dave F, over the last 100m, but the finished line came to soon. Over the line in 12:54 and 17th place.

Saturday 25th - Park Run Marly Park.

Opted for something different and ventured over to the South Side for a change. Had to set the sat nav to find Marlay via town, as the M50 would have probably proved a simpler drive.

Still arrived with plenty of time, but a long 10 minute walk with the Mrs left little time to get any warm-up in. Massive numbers at 781 runners, and the narrow paths, had plenty of bunching for the first mile. Some decent drags, and grass running and Marlay is definitively one of the more challenging courses. Ran it as a tempo effort, rather that a race, with Raheny the next day. Finished in 22:41 for 116 place. Followed the run with a nice coffee in Mount Merrion.

Raheny 5 - Sunday 26th January 2020

Given that I was required to help out with the race goody bags, for 2.5 hours on the race morning put pay to any fast times on the day. Between our small group we moved around 2000 bags to the start line, from storage. Both arms and back were screaming for the morning.

Over the years I usually do the race numbers, but 90% are posted out now, so no real need for that any more bar the to cater for the day runners.

Headed up early to watch the kids and teenagers races, and chat to a few of the lads. On with a 1.3 mile warm-up on wade avenue, back to the car to change into club colours, and watch the eventual winner doing an impressive warm-up in the tennis court car park.

Lined up with the Dave F, and Keith, around 5 rows from the front, knowing that All Saints road is always packed if your to far back. Off with the mass and pushed the pace for the first mile, on the footpath, mostly getting passed by faster runners. Left on to watermill, and the slight drag. Left again and the school fly's past. Mile 1 in 6:42.

Great support all the way around,especially at this section with calls of "come on Raheny". Club-mate Orla passes me at this stage, and I try to respond. A lurking stitch under the ribs on the right side makes its known. Sharp pain, snaps me out the running vibe. I Slow slightly up to the Howth Road as a result.

A shout out from Will goes unheeded from me. Left onto Sybil Hill, and gentle decline, for 500m odd with the left on to Mount prospect. Mile 2 in 6:55. I feel that I cant push the pace, as the stitch becomes more acute with the added pace. Just stick it out for another 2.5 miles. Push as much as I dare.

Mile 3 in 6:52 then into the park, a quick glimpse of the avenue and plenty of runners heading up the avenue, with a few faster runners just viable already exiting the avenue and well into their last 800m. Around the play ground, where we do the summer speed sessions (if i could only run that pace now). on To the avenue and a shout out from Brian.

Just hold my position, repeat repeat. Is the stitch receding?, push a little more and find out.... Seems to be gone.... push a little harder... I cant... I'm at my limit at this stage. Mile 4 in 6:59. down the avenue offers little respite. Left and out of the park. Mrs D at this point.

The last 600m and put everything out there. I check the watch and a sub 34 is just possible. A short sprint, gain a few places, and over the line in 33:56, and 535 place, 35th M-50. Happy to do the race, great support as always...

General Catch-up.

Finished January with a total of 57 miles. Pretty poor really. probably down to the fact that i don't have any goals this year, and was hoping to migrate over to more mixed TRI for a while.

February Highlights

A total of 115 miles for the month. Slightly better but still no plan to speak of. Away in Lanzarote for the first week and managed to run every day, bike a few days also and also swim most days too. The weather was in the low 20c and sunny everyday. The strip had a cycle / run track (not in great repair) running for 10 odd miles out past the airport, which made for an enjoyable route each day. The Mrs has "suggested" that we include a week here in End of Jan / Early Feb from now on. You can live very cheaply also. A total of 44 miles for this holiday week.

Trim 10 Miler

With low miles and no specifics in Jan this was just an outing to get some exercise. Finished in 1:12 and ran reasonably well.

Parkrun St Annes

15/02 - Ran with Brian K, - 23:08 just a run and a chat.
    29/02 - Park run 100. Taken 8 years to hit 100. Hopefully ill hit 200 a bit faster.

Sessions

22/02 - 6 * laps of the rose garden, plus 1.5 WU / CD
    25/02 - 2 WU, 3 @ Hard pace (6:50) 2 CD

March 01/03/2020 - Sunday

Just easy miles from the house to Vernon ave, Coast road and back, 5.5 miles in 44 mins for 8:05 avg.

03/03/2020 - Tuesday - Micks Session

Time to return to Micks Session. First Tuesday are hills reps, so we were starting at the deep end immediately. A few miles warm-up on Carribrack road. Then lined up with 12 others for 10*250 hills. Hard up and recovery down, almost no static recovery. Blowing hard from the 3rd rep, concentrated on form and pumping the arms for each rep until the fatigue took over at around 175m. Happy to get it done.
    A Total of 5.5 miles in 47 odd minutes, average pace meaningless.

04/03/2020 - Wednesday - Easy

Just easy miles to the park and around. Right Hamstring causing some discomfort after last nights hills. 4.8 miles in 39 for 8:11avg.

05/03/2020 - S&C at lunch.

07/03/2020 - Saturday - Session

2 Days run rest and opted for another session. 8*400 in the park, before Parkrun. Rep miles were 6:10 and 6:02, very happy with that, given its been 7-8 months since the last fast reps set.

Finished with 5.5 miles in 40:17 for 7:19avg.

08/03/2020 - Sunday - LSR.

Snoozed the phone once to many and just missed the Sunday group run as a result. Got to the club house at 8:05am and slowest group about 300m ahead. Pushed on at caught them, exchanged a few words before pushing on again. Bit of a mistake as i was then "marooned" between groups. Anyway held pace for the coast road. Got caught by Will, Sarah and Alan at Watermill, as they were running sub 7's. Jumped in for a few miles but no chattin for me. :mad:

Finished with 8 miles in 59:55 for 7:29 avg.

• Advertisement

Raheny 5 (Virtual) - Sunday 31th January 2021

No posts for some time on here, no real reason, just nice to have a break...

Have been running 4-5 days per week during lockdown and in reasonable shape as a result. Also we have built up a good "awl lads" running group, making the longer (socially distanced runs) more bearable, and the shorted type Tempo ones more challenging.

A few of the lads (above) had decided to run the virtual during the week, as we could log our run at any time from Monday 25 Jan to the Sunday 31st. I decided to keep to the Sunday for tradition sake and run the old R5 route. Both Keith and Dave had the same idea.

The weather is cold at 3c with a strong east wind blowing off the sea. I decided to use the Zoon next % (a lock down present from the younger son), a little tight but only the second outing from them.

We headed off at 9:00am (early so we could run the roads) from the usual Raheny 5 start line. Settled into race pace from the off, great to have all of All Saints road to work with, as opposed to the usual crush at this point.

First left on to Watermill and the slight incline to the village. Keith had passed me at this stage with Dave a few steps behind. Left again on to the Howth road and the first mile in 6:23. Running the bus lane here and pushing hard to keep the gap to K at around 10M. Left again on to Vernon and K is flying down the long descent past the park gates and 30M ahead.

A few shouts of "Come on Raheny" from dog walkers ( as we were wearing our signets ). Mile 2 in 6:36. Left again onto Mount Prospect and immediately a strong and freezing wind into the face. Passing other runners every 3-4 minutes. I find this part of the rout difficult 2.5M done and 2.5M to go.

The sharp right at the rose garden still on Mount Prospect and mile 3 in 6:37. A few more meters and the 5K would have been hit are just under 20mins (a target that I missed for the last few years). Strong wind (getting stronger ) as we approach the sea, but thankfully a slight downhill to compensate.

Coast road and the wind is now hitting from the side, running the road and trying to keep K in sight. Left again onto Watermill and the biggest drag of the course. Mile 4 in 6:28. Some Fatigue creeping in at this stage and difficult to hold the pace. 400m to go and I get a "Come on Dad" from the Son, a big help.. I push on and across the line in 32:34 for 6:30 average and 5.01 miles.

Very happy with the result... A warm coffee and sausage rolls from Butlers and a good chat with both Dave and K.

A nice way to round off a feezing January...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice work, D. Great time.

General Catch up

Been a long time and with Covid, the lack of races and the new site shanagins, I've just been logging my runs to excel with a 1 liner, Anyway...

For the last year been part of a "Awl Lads running group", we meet up and train most evenings, with the LSR on a Saturday morning from StAnnes, usually taking in a half to the summit of Howth and back, or the beach run to the harbor. Also been regularly doing MickC's sessions in the park and feeling the benefits of faster running, across all distances.

The first race back was the Kilbeggan 10 Miler, back on Aug 08th, Solid run in tough conditions, but very satisfying to get out for a blast and run hard in race conditions. Delighted with the 66:45 finish, and felt like the years had indeed rolled back to a younger Dave :)

Followed this up with a few Raheny Summer series 2 miler on the Wade Loop, and again happy with the performances. Last proper race was the Termonfekin 10 miler another solid (if fatigued performance) on the closed roads of Louth, again happy with a 67m finish time.

Raheny Summer League - Round 3

Have completed the pervious 2 rounds (Tuesday 8pm), and was looking forward to this one. Generally only have a small lunch at 1pm, so well fasted by the evening race time. Met up with D and N before and took in an easy 2 mile of the Park by way of a chat and warmup. Opted for the Nike Varoflys Next%, as these have been my go to road racing shoe for the few 2021 races run so far, and have performed excellently each time. IMO the perfect blend of lightness and response for me.

About 30 down for the first race < 14min. Off and the first 600m the usual slight drag, and holding position, a few of the more exuberant runners falling off pace by the first left turn at 700m. Push on with the slight decline to the second left turn at 1400m then the straight back to the 1 mile marker and a few shouts of encouragement from the spectators.

Second mile and a younger lad is starting to slow. I get past him 1/4 into second lap, and target an M40 local lad who also seems to be slowing slightly. Now 600m to go and I get past him, and push on as hard as I dare to ensure he cant come back at me. Sprint for the last 100m and over the line in 11:55 for 5:56 avg for the 2 miles and 6th place overall...

Delighted with the performance, and a chat with N and an easy warmdown in St Annes for 2 miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great to see you back running well Dave!

Great times in both those races and some nice runs on Strava. Great to see.

• Advertisement

Edited Highlights !

02/09 - Thursday

Micks Session - 1200, 800 * 3 sets, 90 seconds between reps and 2 min between sets. Found this really tough, and was broken for most of the day after.

04/09 - Saturday

A bit of a binge on Alchol this week so skipped the normal Half with the lads, and instead took in the St Annes loop with Brian K and Jim. A yap and a slow amble...

06/09 - Lunch time, Steady Run

Warm and sunny day, set out to Sutton and the beach road, plenty of swimmers at the dingy club, so opted to run the Fintans loop and head back to the dingy club for a swim. 4-5 minutes in the running shorts and back along the coast road home. 8 miles in 59:50 for 7:28 avg.

07/09/2021 - Session 3 Sets of 3 Yangs Hills

11/09 - Fairyhouse Half

A few of the awl lads were doing this one and privately I was looking forward to it, bar the 8:30 am start time. Generally I find that I run better in the late afternoon or evening. Anyway parker up at 8is and got in a 1 mile warmup with JF and Mark. Chose the Vapoflys Next% for this, which has served me will for previous races. Lined up about 10 row back from the start and off at 8:31am. Mostly quiet or completely closed roads, with temps at 15c, and almost now wind. Mostly flat roads, if slight down hill for the first 5-6 miles and opposite for the second half. Happy to hold my position at below 7min miles for as long as possible was the strategy.

Nice and controlled until mile 6, then it became more of an effort. Had to dig deep but took heart as i was passing a runner every 4-5 minutes. Caught Keith at mile 9 and exchanged a few word of encouragement. Pushed on until we arrived back to the gates of the race course at mile 11. Then took in 2 mile of the actual service road around the course. This stage seemed endless, with the wide open spaces. Still pushed and across the line in 1:28:55 for 6:46 avg pace.

Delighted with the performance, and getting below 1:30 for first time in 6 years... Rolling back the years... :)

Nice one, D! Well done, excellent result

Post edited by Murph_D on

Raheny Summer Series 2 Miler (Round 5 or 6)

An easy 6 mile on the Monday had me mostly back to normal after the Half on Saturday. Arrived up to the village at 7:15 and got in an easy 2 mile with Niall and Dave, using the old stock (but new) Nike Pegasus 36's. The evening was mostly perfect for running a decent time with temps at 16-17 and no wind. Changed into the Next% for the off and lined up with about 60 others. Off and pushed on for the first 600m but some of the faster runner already disappearing into the darkening evening. Past Coach 1, with Keith and Rory and myself all running together. Past both coaches and trying to hold form and Push the pace. Home straight and the slight drag to the 1mile, point in 6:02.

Second lap and Keith starts to pull away, and a real battle develops between Rory and myself. He pushes on I come back, 3-4 times over the next 1/2 mile. He has 10 years on me so I figure he can easily outsprint me if I leave it to the home straight. With 400m to go I push on past him and give it everything, expecting him to come back at me. Just hold form and pace I tell myself. Seems to work as there is no sign of him and I cross the line in 12:02 and 6:01avg for 10th place.

Happy enough with the time and performance. :)

Dave, your flying at the moment - long may it continue!

Whats been the difference in recent months??

Hi Alan,

High praise indeed from a man of your running stature :)

Combination of a few thing that probably lead to this reasonably rich vein of form (at my age):-

1. Consistency - Running normally 5 days pre week and with some quality session packed in there (Reps and Tempo). Mileage up around 45-50 miles per week, while probably only average distance for some posters on here, that would be at the upper end of volume for me.
    2. Sessions - Doing the Claws week day session (all run on grass ) since the spring, and find them both tough and rewarding.
    3. Long on Saturday, almost never miss this one, and usually run up to Howth Summit which gives a Half Marathon distance.
    4. Run in a group with most of us pushing each other.
    5. Small amount of cross training. Converted part of the back garden into a small Gym area, and have found that 2-3 light session per week have kept me injury free.
    6. Rest the other days. I wish I could say that i had given up the Alcohol, but its still there :(

What i haven't done is train to a prescribed program, just not me really, tend to take each days as it comes.

Anyway, must drop over to the PP Again at some point and see what's what. Maybe a few race pace miles for me and just can jog beside :)

Wednesday Sept 15

Just easy miles on the coast road with the lads. Pretty tired after the 2 miler the night before.

Saturday Sept 18

Good group down for this one, Dave, Keith, Mark, Niall, Martin and Gary. Decided on Howth Summit for a change... Easy with Dave and Gary until St Fintins, then pushed on as the hill started. Pushed on the uphill section and steady on the downhill. While the weather at sea level was cloudy / foggy the summit was easily 19c and completely sunny. Turn and back down into the soup... Finished with 1:44 for just over the half and 7:50 avg.

Monday Sept 20

Busy in work so out at 7:50am for 6.7 miles out to Burrow beach at easy pace. Lovely run, and great to find a deserted beach half way around...

Tuesday September 21nd - Summer League

Last round of the league, and 3 mile easy warmup with Niall. Hoping to run sub 12 for the 2 miles, to help the chances of a call up to the old lads road relays team. Lined up at the start of the grid with Damo on the right and a senior 4:00:7 Miler on the left... "Marks Set Go".... .... F* me the senior is gone, gone, I try to hold on to Damo, and find myself in 3rd for 2 minutes, at 5:35 pace. But this is suicidal pace for me, so I ease up. 3-4 young lads pass me immediately. Just hold pace now and keep them in view I tell myself. Left and slight down hill, Coach, and left again. Hold pace and hold form, First mile in 5:55. Manage to hold my place for the reminder of the race and finish in 12:01. Disappointed with the result and put it down to way way to hard for first 400m then loosing concentration on the second lap. Poor Race... Must try harder...

Wednesday, Easy day at recovery pace, Thursday easy and 6*150m strides.

Saturday September 25th - Parkrun StAnnes

Last park run was Feb 2020 which was parkrun 100 for me. Taken 18 months to get to 101...

Around 350 down for the re-opening. A brief talk by the race director before and off at 9:27am (nice and early for a change). Pushed on but aware of the Walkers everywhere and Kids football training at the all weather pitches, but loads of Marshals to direct the unwary. Holding my place in 5th for first mile, on to the avenue, a few other young lads come past. Hold for and push the pace. Great support at half way. Second lap, and some fatigue, probably down to a race and session per week ? Back on the avenue and push as much as possible, across the line in 19:44 for 10th, 6:26 avg and first sub 20m on StAnnes in 4 years.

A coffee and chat with the lads in the sun, made for a good day...

The races are coming Thick and fast now :)

Joe Noonan 5 mile - Sunday 26 September

Usually scheduled for the week before Xmas, but cancelled last year. Slightly new and shorter course this year, 5M instead of the point to point 5.7M, now starting at Monor House school down from the village as opposed to the taxi rank.

Given that I have ran Park run at Hard pace the day before, this race was just a chance to run steady on a sunny Sunday morning. Needed to stay on pace for theis race, as the Open Mile was scheduled for Tuesday and that afforded little recovery time.

Off at 10 and settled into a steady sub 7m pace down watermill Rd. Left at the coast road and runners already streaming into the distance in the sun, the Claw already half a mile ahead... Left again and on to the Howth Road and the drag for a mile up to the village. Passing 1-2 here that set off to hard (Mile 1,2 6:57, 7:11). Pushed on back through the village and repeat the route. Sea front now very warm (23 / 24C ??). Mile 3-4 (6:52, 7:00). The drag back up to the village afforded the chance to catch a few more runners, with the last mile in 6:58 to finish in 34:51 for 6:58 avg. Good chat after and a lovely day to run this slightly new loop...

Raheny Open Mile - Tuesday 28

This is the qualifying race for the National Road relays and have had my sights on this race for some time as a result. The race was scheduled for 8pm unfortunately completely dark at this stage of the year. There were 3 places on offer in the M50 team, with probably 6-7 awl lads in with a chance. Around 100 down for the race, from juniors, through seniors, M35 and a few of M50's crew. 3 miles warmup in the park before. On with the Vapoflys and high viz vest for the event, and lined up on front of the grid. Off immediately and running as hard as I have ever ran, but still being passed on both sides by what seemed like everyone. This is just a shock to the system, form and technique gone out the window, a bloody fight for survival for the first 400m, no since of placing or pace, just running as hard as possible. Keep F* going...

Things settle slightly by the left turn and, Keith (M50) gets past me, Try to hold form, and pace, but I'm already blowing hard with half the race to go. Push on and Roberto also gets past (M50). No idea where i am now. Hold form and pace I tell myself. Next left and home straight and I get past 1 runner. Somebody on my shoulder over the last 50m. All out last few seconds and across the line in 5:36 and 31 place. Gary the other M50 1 second behind. The finish Shute is carnage, with runners pilling in fast on top every 1-2 seconds. Eventually manage to recover and a few fist bumps with the lads.

Fingers crossed for a text from coach on Friday now... 🙄

Let him know you’re available. As I’ve discovered myself, ‘qualifying’ via this event doesn’t always lead to making the team!

Super run.

Post edited by Murph_D on

Got the Text from DH on Thursday night, for the A team... Bloody nerves hit almost immediatly. Anyway just going to give it everything and see where we end up...

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Congrats! Well deserved, run well.

National Road Relays

Have purposely allowed a week to pass before jotting a few notes about this race...

Cooler day with a moderate zepher blowing up from the city. I have co-opted support from both my adult sons for the race, hoping that it would spur me on to greater things. Had being picked for the Raheny A team last leg, (1 Mile) with Roberto running for first mile and Keith taking the 2 mile duties.

Hopes were high to get something for our efforts if we ran well, given that we were now in Marathon season rather than the usual spring time running of the event, and the unknown effects that Covid had wrought on the other club teams. The nerves were pretty constant for last last day, and only abated when we all (all M50 Teams) went for a easy 2.7 mile jog around the park.

Being mixed in with the M35 we know that us Awl lads would be dropped pretty quickly once the race started, so the plan was to hold form and try to repeat the paces that we ran on the open mile / 2 mile to try to mix it up with the other age graders. Roberto lines up with the other 25 odd teams (half M35), and off with the gun. Everyone out of sight withing in 20 seconds and around the first left turn. Waiting, a few shuttles and high knees, the first of the M35 start to re-appear, and handover to the second leg (2 mile runners). R appears blowing hard and hands over to Keith, and i settle in for his 2 mile leg.

No idea where we are placed, as it can be difficult to desern the older M35 from the younger M50's, anyway everything is a blur, no time to calc where we are...

Repeat from the first leg as the M35 2 mile leg start to hand over the to final leg runners. No sign of Keith, no idea where we are. Waiting, bloody agony, i just want to run. More handovers... Keith arrives blowing hard, and tips me. Off i go. Around the first left, but i have noting to work with, the 200- 300m ahead is empty, nothing and no runner to track or chase down. The wind from the city direction into the face is strong enough to cause problems, but the massive gap to the next runner a bigger problem. I tell myself not to get passed, no matter what it takes. second left and Dave W, shouts encouragment, the slight downhill, and great support, with loads of "come on Raheny"...

I pass my Sons to a coras of "Come on Dad"... Past in a second so no time to saver it... If it was any other event i could have returned something to them, a wave or a thumbs up, but not this... Last left turn and I give everything, and fall accross the line, shattered. No idea on placings, as other teams are rolling in, every 5 -10 seconds. Eventually i recover and congradulate the other lads. We go for a gentle 2 mile in the park and head back to see the senior ladies and men races.

Eventually we get a provision result from AAI official that Donore 1st, Clonliffe 2nd, Sportsworld 3rd, Raheny 4th... Dissipointed.

Recover the composure watching the senior men and women both win their respectives races. Then back home to a bottle of Malbec and a slow cooked feast...

Good man Dave - some amount of racing being done. Top man.

Cheers Alan, I mistakenly though with my half decent run of form at the moment, there was something to be had on the day... Obviously plenty of other Awl lads are in great shape also...

Anyway the road relays are always a great day out. 👍️

Bit of a catchup as usual.

2021 was a pretty decent year of running. A good group of Awl lads and regular runs and chats after made for a most enjoyable training year. In the latter half of the year the training composed of regular Session with the Claw Training group and or a hard tempo session on monday with the lads.

We decided on a spot of Parkrun tourism, detailed below.

We started this in Malahide, and rewarded with a 20:35 for the efforts, cold and damp day from memory. Next Popintree park for their (100 outing ?) and a freezing cold morning. Delighted with a 19:17 and a thanks to Damo for putting the boot in.

Next week was Fairview and delighted to win the event in a slow 20:40, but in my defence it is a far slower course (accross grass, roots and leaves) than Popintree the previous week. Fairview was my first ever parkrun or race win... Next was Poolbeg and a 20:15 as I was chasing one of the Daves.

After myself and the Mrs took 2 weeks in Lanzarote and a spot of warm weather training. Something that im going to pencil in each year going forward. We were over there with "Dave the ref" and got in an easy 8-10 miles most days. I'm Currently in the process of organisisng a return trip for all of the Awl lads for the same week this year.

Will try to post on a more regular basis going forward, and document the form...

General.

Plagued with lots of injuries so far this year, tail end of Covid in Jan, Glutes, Hammer and also pneumonia for my sins. All meant that the training volume and quality were all compromised this year, compared to previous years. 

A few solid runs to note, The Charity Good run 5K in April, getting 19:36 and finishing 2nd behind a lad who was young enough to be my grandson ☹. Battle of Clontarf 10 mile road Champs, 66:36 and Team Gold for the efforts.

Staring into DCM training now and will try to drop a few lines in here from time to time. 

Tuesday - 26/07/2022

Tempo Tuesday - Opted for a 2 mile warmup up from the house to, St Annes (Granite Gates) then a brief static recovery, then 25 minutes Tempo effort on the Relatively flat Avenue. Paces were around 7:00, and covered around 3.4 miles (cant be sure as i didnt reset the watch). Was really pushing hard from 3rd mile to maintain pace. Then an Easy jog back to the house. - 7.2 Miles in 52min for 7:38 avg.

Wednesday - 27/07/2022

Easy - Just 5.6 easy miles along the seafront, into the park and around edge (Opposite direction), and back. 5.6 miles in 45min for 8:02 avg.

Thursday 28 July

Run, Swim, Run - Just easy miles out to Sutton (Beach road, Sutton Dingy Club) then jumped in for 5 min swim, drip dry and back on the cycle path home. Lovely for a change.

Saturday 30 July

LSR - Decided to do these on a Saturday instead of Sunday. This worked pretty well in the 2017 marathon cycle, so decided to adopt for this one also. Easy down the Howth road, Collins Ave, Left at Whitehall and down the swords Road, Left at Blessington St, and down O Connell St, Accross the liffee, Grafton St, Stephen Green, Merrion Sq, Mount St, Canal, Haddington Rd, Lotts Rd, Back over Liffey, 3 Areana, East Wall, Coast Road and St Annes Pk.

Finished with 16miles in 2:06 for 7:54 avg.

Sunday 31 July

Just 5 miles easy with the lads running long... Wreaked.

Monday 01 Aug - Rest.

Tuesday 02 August

Session - 2 Mile WU, 4 * 1 mile at 7:00m/m 90 sec recovery, 1.5 CD. Did these on the St Annes 1 mile loop, which is perfect for this type of session. Unfortunitly temps were 26C yesterday at lunch, so really had to push to hold form and pace. Mile reps were 6:51, 6:50, 7:00, 7:02. Finished with 7.40 for the day in 54:58 for 7:26 avg.

Kilbeggan 10 Mile

Kilbeggan was pretty much the first race back in 2021 after Lockdown, with the result that most of the Club turned up, with a similar strong showing from many other clubs from the area. All told 650 towed the line in 2021.

This year a far smaller and more intimate showing with around 200 sweaty bodies at the start line. The course consisted of a roughly triangle shaped course, with 3 * 3.3 odd mile strips, to ruturn us to the start point at Kilbeggan village.

Off at 11am, and the usualy jossling for position for the first mile, a long drag into a medium summer breeze. The drag persisted for the first 3.3 miles until a left turn at Clara and a quiter road. Getting passed for the first mile or so but then holding position and only passing other runners from this point onward. First 3 miles 6:59, 7:01, 6:48.

Upped pace and intensity for the next section, with the expected slight down slope never appearing. Temps started to prove troubling, around 20c. I took each opeertunity to take on water, similar to every other runner. Water table well manned and with the smaller number getting the drinks proved easy. Mide section paces were 6:45, 6:48, 6:43, 6:46.

Another left on to the R436 and reeling in runners now ever 1-2 minutes. Counting down the miles. Every opertunity to run in the shade was taken, liteways water to pore over the head. Flies were everywhere, and a F***ing annoyance. The last mile had a propper hill over th M6 and effort levels were now well imto the red. 6:48, 6:57, 6:44.

A last push and over the line in 1:08:29. A full 2 minutes slower than last year, but glad to get it done under 70m. A brief catch up with Niall and Graham and Orla before a shower in the GAA club and a lump of fruit cake and coffee and a sweaty drive home...

• Advertisement

Great run - heard from a lot of people on Strava that it was very warm. Wouldn't worry about the 2 mins.

Advertisement