Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

jhynes2009 wrote: »
    Jassha, Thanks so much, this is a fantastic thread! :) Just wondering if by any chance you know where I could find an asian shop in Galway?

One across the road from central park night club and another across from the connacht tribune office near the back of boots. Might be more but not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jhynes2009

jassha wrote: »
    One across the road from central park night club and another across from the connacht tribune office near the back of boots. Might be more but not too sure.

Thanks Jassha - you are a fountain of knowledge :)

jhynes2009 wrote: »
    Thanks Jassha - you are a fountain of knowledge :)

In town yesterday morning and think the one across from cp is gone but the one across from connacht tribune definetly still there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

@ Jassha,

Would you have a recipe for squab, I picked up two frozen baby pigeons from my local chinese supermarket and could use some inspiratio.

Minder wrote: »
    @ Jassha,

Would you have a recipe for squab, I picked up two frozen baby pigeons from my local chinese supermarket and could use some inspiratio.

H ave only ever enn them done similar to aromatic duck asfollows

Mix together the following
    -100 ml light soy
    -100 ml dark soy
    -1 teaspoon salt
    -4 teaspoons sugar
    -4 star anise
    -2 teaspoons minced ginger

Marinate the squab in above for 3 to 4 hours

Roast at 200 for 15 mins then lower heat to 170 and cook til well done

Strain the marinade into a small saucepan and boil til reduced and thickened

Chop the squab into bite sized pieces and serve with the sauce as a dip with a crispy salad of ure choice

Enjoy

• Advertisement

2qk4u wrote: »
    Hi Jassha, do you have a recipe for Samosa ?

you will need the following
    -minced beef fried til brown and drained
    -diced onion
    -diced carrot
    -diced potato
    -coconut milk
    -curry powder
    -diced chilli

Hot pan and fry
    -onions
    -add curry powder
    -add carrots ,beef and potatoes
    -add chillies
    -add coconut milk and a little water
    -simmer for 10 mins
    -season to taste with salt pepper and sugar

Use what ever ingredients u have. Add peas and chopped cauliflower instead of mince for a veggie version.

Hard to explain in text how to fold so following link is best option

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-vegetable-samosas

Again put whatever u fancy into them.
    Enjoy

Vodkat wrote: »
    Jassa have you heard of Amber fire shredded chicken...? I'd love the recipe if your familiar with the dish!! Thanks :D

Not familar with tis one but sounds like chicken hot chilli. Is the chicken in a light batter ie crispy?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Not familar with tis one but sounds like chicken hot chilli. Is the chicken in a light batter ie crispy?

Its kinda oily, dark red almost brown in colour. No the chickens not battered its in strips slightly wider than beansprouts. Ill look at the menu description to see what info it gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Have followed the chicken batter balls recipie but its still not the same as the takeaway:( Did anyone else try it?

gonker wrote: »
    Have followed the chicken batter balls recipie but its still not the same as the takeaway:( Did anyone else try it?

Not the same how?????

• Advertisement

I dont know exactly. The batter was lovely. Never thought of using sr flour but the batter in the takeaway is I dont know soggier for want of a better word on the inside and much thicker than I seem to be able to get it. Maybe if I fry them then re dip them then refry them..I dont know. I am loving the thread though thanks for the recipes its great.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Hello Jassha :)

I hope you can help me out with a recipe for Chicken fried rice.
    I know it sounds pretty straight forward and I have made it at home before but it never tastes quite right.

I generally just boil the chicken and use white rice.

It just doesn't ever taste like it does from a Chinese :(

Please help me out with this one, I'd be very grateful :)

I dont know exactly. The batter was lovely. Never thought of using sr flour but the batter in the takeaway is I dont know soggier for want of a better word on the inside and much thicker than I seem to be able to get it. Maybe if I fry them then re dip them then refry them..I dont know. I am loving the thread though thanks for the recipes its great.:D

I know it sounds simple but make a thicker batter. It should be barely pourable ie should take 10 secs or more to flow out of container if u tip it. the more batter on the chicken the doughier it will be on the inside

The menu description says ''Tomato and chilli style Szechuan sauce with juillanne of peppers and beansprouts with chilli''. Any Idea??

Vodkat wrote: »
    The menu description says ''Tomato and chilli style Szechuan sauce with juillanne of peppers and beansprouts with chilli''. Any Idea??

try the szechwan sauce in post 40 in this thread. Could be that with something like maggies tomato and chilli sauce mixed in or maybe its just the hot bean sauce and some ketchup and chilli mixed in. Would u have eaten it in takeaway in barna????

Lornen wrote: »
    Hello Jassha :)

I hope you can help me out with a recipe for Chicken fried rice.
    I know it sounds pretty straight forward and I have made it at home before but it never tastes quite right.

I generally just boil the chicken and use white rice.

It just doesn't ever taste like it does from a Chinese :(

Please help me out with this one, I'd be very grateful :)

Try the recipe at post 103 on this thread but just use chicken. I would always fry the chicken not boil. left over roast chicken is great for it. let me know how u get on

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Try the recipe at post 103 on this thread but just use chicken. I would always fry the chicken not boil. left over roast chicken is great for it. let me know how u get on

Sorry I must have overseen that recipe when flicking through earlier :o

I was looking some things up in the mean time and alot of people suggest you cook the rice and allow it to cool completely, then use?

I was just wondering if this was done in the restuarants or if it was all made on the spot.

Which would taste better do you reckon? I have no problems let's say, doing the rice in the morning and leaving it covered all day and reheat it in the wok with the other ingredients when I got home from work.

Thank you again for your help :)

Lornen wrote: »
    Sorry I must have overseen that recipe when flicking through earlier :o

I was looking some things up in the mean time and alot of people suggest you cook the rice and allow it to cool completely, then use?

I was just wondering if this was done in the restuarants or if it was all made on the spot.

Which would taste better do you reckon? I have no problems let's say, doing the rice in the morning and leaving it covered all day and reheat it in the wok with the other ingredients when I got home from work.

Thank you again for your help :)

At home i would cook the rice and fork it up well to let as much of the steam as possible off. Its very hard to fry rice like u get in a takeaway with out a wok station which generates serious heat so i would use rice that is hot for doing it at home.At work we fry it straight from the steamer to the customer. That is mainy down to common sense as its much quicker and u are not holding and reheating rice

try the szechwan sauce in post 40 in this thread. Could be that with something like maggies tomato and chilli sauce mixed in or maybe its just the hot bean sauce and some ketchup and chilli mixed in. Would u have eaten it in takeaway in barna????

Ill try that recipe some time next week to see. No I get in my local chinese in Oranmore. Thanks for the help Jassa!!:D

Thanks Jassha that worked great!!!:D

• Advertisement

Thanks Jassha that worked great!!!:D

Good stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 harlot

Hi Jassha

This thread is brilliant! I have a question for you. I attempted to make pork dumplings last night. They tasted great but they fell apart and stuck to the bottom of the steamer. I used an electric one. Would a bamboo one be much better? Any tips to stop them falling apart and sticking?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

harlot wrote: »
    Hi Jassha

This thread is brilliant! I have a question for you. I attempted to make pork dumplings last night. They tasted great but they fell apart and stuck to the bottom of the steamer. I used an electric one. Would a bamboo one be much better? Any tips to stop them falling apart and sticking?

When I steam dumplings, I usually put some chinese leaf cabbage onto the plate and put the dumplings on top to prevent them from sticking to the plate or falling apart.

such a simple idea and makes perfect sense. I'll definitely be doing that the next time! thanks for the tip

harlot wrote: »
    Hi Jassha

+1 for breakfast rolls tip. If they are still falling apart sounds like they are over cooked. Slow down the steaming process . They will take longer to cook but should stay together better.

Yeah I thought they might be a bit overcooked alright. I was pretty happy with them for a first effort though. Will definitely make again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Made your satay sauce recipe and it was gorgeous!!! thanks a million!!

Made your satay sauce recipe and it was gorgeous!!! thanks a million!!

Good stuff. Ure welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

You will need
    -diced ribeye beef(pre-fried like in other recipes)
    -sliced veg of choice
    -minced garlic
    -cracked black pepper
    -oyster sauce
    -dark soy sauce
    -sesame oil

Hot wok then add
    -little oil
    -1 teaspoon garlic
    -1 teaspoon oyster sauce
    -1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    -veg of choice
    -splash of wine
    -beef
    -water or stock
    -season with salt,sugar and white pepper
    -thicken with a little potato flour mixed with water
    -add some dark soy for colour and a few drops of sesame oil

Enjoy

I cooked this beef dish this evening for dinner, it was delicious.

I marinated & pre-fried Sirloin steak strips as per your Post 116 step 6. This tip ensured the beef was both tender and juicy on the inside but a lovely crisped fried coating on the outside. Perfect!

I had all the ingredients ready and worked quickly, whole meal on the table in 10 minutes. :D

Thank you very much Jassha.

• Advertisement

nesbitt wrote: »
    I cooked this beef dish this evening for dinner, it was delicious.

I marinated & pre-fried Sirloin steak strips as per your Post 116 step 6. This tip ensured the beef was both tender and juicy on the inside but a lovely crisped fried coating on the outside. Perfect!

I had all the ingredients ready and worked quickly, whole meal on the table in 10 minutes. :D

Thank you very much Jassha.

Thats the secret. Have everything ready and dont hang around. With a very hot wok its easy to burn one or more of the ingredients

Glad it went well

Advertisement