Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,991 ✭✭✭✭unkel

jassha wrote: »
    sounds stupid but make sure u are using rice noodles for the vermicelli also sold as rice stick, they should puff up after a few seconds in a deep fat fryer.

I did use rice vermicelli (very thin noodles made from rice) but I didn't use a deep fat fryer, just an open pan with about 5cm of oil in it. I did small batches of about 10g of vermicelli per batch. Next time I'll taste them first before I take them out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Normally it's boiled as full breasts, then chopped up and used when required.

Sorry but not true of any restaurant i have ever worked in. the method of boiling full breasts is used for making chicken balls.
    Chicken is sliced into bite sized pieces and marinated in a mixture of salt , pepper, egg white, potato flour, sesame oil, water and veg oil. then it is poached until just cooked and then used for the various disheswhich would include curry

unkel wrote: »
    I did use rice vermicelli (very thin noodles made from rice) but I didn't use a deep fat fryer, just an open pan with about 5cm of oil in it. I did small batches of about 10g of vermicelli per batch. Next time I'll taste them first before I take them out :D

Just make sure oil is good and hot. rice noodle should puff up like prawn crackers. let me know how u get on

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Sorry but not true of any restaurant i have ever worked in. the method of boiling full breasts is used for making chicken balls.
    Chicken is sliced into bite sized pieces and marinated in a mixture of salt , pepper, egg white, potato flour, sesame oil, water and veg oil. then it is poached until just cooked and then used for the various disheswhich would include curry

At home, would simply poaching the chicken strips in stock till cooked and tender give a similar result?

What about beef for the beef in black pepper dish, would you braise it Jassha?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I used to work in a Chinese Take-Away doing deliveries years ago, and while waiting for the deliveries I'd watch the Chefs preparing the food.

They'd boil up large quantities of chicken breasts, cool them, chop them up and then put into the containers to be used when needed.

When putting together a dish, e.g. Chicken Curry, the cold chicken, onions, veg, etc. would be gathered up in the aluminium trays and then put into a big pan of boiling water for a couple of minutes, put back into the tray and then covered with a couple of ladles of Curry from the big pot that was always on the go.

I'd say you're right when it comes to dishes where the chicken isn't diced in cubes though.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I used to work in a Chinese Take-Away doing deliveries years ago, and while waiting for the deliveries I'd watch the Chefs preparing the food.

They'd boil up large quantities of chicken breasts, cool them, chop them up and then put into the containers to be used when needed.

When putting together a dish, e.g. Chicken Curry, the cold chicken, onions, veg, etc. would be gathered up in the aluminium trays and then put into a big pan of boiling water for a couple of minutes, put back into the tray and then covered with a couple of ladles of Curry from the big pot that was always on the go.

I'd say you're right when it comes to dishes where the chicken isn't diced in cubes though.

ihave been working in chinese restaurants since 1995 and still am. I have never seen that method used for cooking chicken dishes. Honestly sounds like a lazy way of doing things but like i said in an earlier post u get out of a dish what u put in .

nesbitt wrote: »
    At home, would simply poaching the chicken strips in stock till cooked and tender give a similar result?

What about beef for the beef in black pepper dish, would you braise it Jassha?

I would marinade it as described if only for 10 or 15 mins then poach it ina little water til just cooked.
    For beef iwould use the same marinade but add some dark soy as well. Then just fry it off in a hot wok for 30 or 40 secs and add to ure dish as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ihave been working in chinese restaurants since 1995 and still am. I have never seen that method used for cooking chicken dishes. Honestly sounds like a lazy way of doing things but like i said in an earlier post u get out of a dish what u put in .
    I've seen it in a couple of places. But they were Take-Aways, obviously different in restaurants.

lorweld wrote: »
    Have you got a recipe for chicken & sweetcorn soup please love this from a Chinese tia

Straight forward one this

You need
    -stokeys creamed corn
    -water
    -chopped chicken or crab cooked
    -little beaten egg
    -chopped scallions
    -few drops sesame oil -salt and pepper to season

Method

add 1 third creamed corn and 2 thirds water to a wok
    add chicken or crab
    season to taste with salt and pepper
    thicken with a little potato flour mixed with water
    stir in a little beaten egg
    add a few drops sesame oil
    serve topped with chopped scallions

enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Sounds delicious and within my cooking capabilities !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

May seem like a simple question, but how do you cook noodles like you'd get in a takeaway? And what would be the best brand/noodles to get? Cheers.

May seem like a simple question, but how do you cook noodles like you'd get in a takeaway? And what would be the best brand/noodles to get? Cheers.

I use "Lucky Boat " brand

to cook at home u need
    -noodles cookedas per packet instructions and cooled
    -scallions and beansprouts
    -minced garlic, dark soya sauce, sesame oil
    -salt and pepper

Very hot wok
    -add some veg oil
    -add minced garlic,scallions and beansprouts
    -stirfry for 30 secs
    -add noodle and stir fry til well mixed
    -season with salt and pepper
    -add dash of dark soya sauce
    -add small splash of water and 3 or 4 drops sesame oil
    -ENJOY

Keep everything moving all the time or they tend to stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I was going to ask about noodles too. Best way to make a nice spicy Singapore Chow Mein? Thanks.

greetings wrote: »
    I was going to ask about noodles too. Best way to make a nice spicy Singapore Chow Mein? Thanks.

See post 73 on this thread for singapore noodles

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Thanks jassha,hadn't looked through the whole thread sorry.

greetings wrote: »
    Thanks jassha,hadn't looked through the whole thread sorry.

No worries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Thanks Jassha for all you recipes.
    Its a great thread and you are very helpful.
    Keep up the good work its really interesting and enjoyable reading.
    Only one problem!! It makes me hungry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Any idea's on woking my dog? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I use "Lucky Boat " brand

to cook at home u need
    -noodles cookedas per packet instructions and cooled
    -scallions and beansprouts
    -minced garlic, dark soya sauce, sesame oil
    -salt and pepper

Very hot wok
    -add some veg oil
    -add minced garlic,scallions and beansprouts
    -stirfry for 30 secs
    -add noodle and stir fry til well mixed
    -season with salt and pepper
    -add dash of dark soya sauce
    -add small splash of water and 3 or 4 drops sesame oil
    -ENJOY

Keep everything moving all the time or they tend to stick

You gem, one question where the hell would I get Lucky Boat noodles? Asian supermarket or are they available in the likes of Tesco, Dunnes, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭daisy100

Thanks a million for the recipe for black pepper sauce, just a quick question, what kind of wine ? and how much stock, and is there an alternative for potato flour ?

• Advertisement

daisy100 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the recipe for black pepper sauce, just a quick question, what kind of wine ? and how much stock, and is there an alternative for potato flour ?

Whatever wine u have. Personally i use red with beef white with chicken

Stock depends on how much sauce u like. u dont really need much

U can use cornflour instead of potato flour if u want

You gem, one question where the hell would I get Lucky Boat noodles? Asian supermarket or are they available in the likes of Tesco, Dunnes, etc...

Asian store would probably ure best bet. Alot of brands out there so try a few till u find one u like.

Any idea's on woking my dog? :D

Long or short haired

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Hi Jassha, do you have a recipe for Samosa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Long or short haired

LOL :D

jassha - thanks for all your help here - I'm an avid reader in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭daisy100

Whatever wine u have. Personally i use red with beef white with chicken

Stock depends on how much sauce u like. u dont really need much

U can use cornflour instead of potato flour if u want

Thanks for that, i'm looking forward to trying this recipe and a few others.
    Its a great thread, thanks again !!:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks jassha for the recipes.

Would I be able to buy creamed corn in an asian store?

Stheno wrote: »
    Thanks jassha for the recipes.

Would I be able to buy creamed corn in an asian store?

Yes u can. Available in most supermarkets as well now

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Jassa have you heard of Amber fire shredded chicken...? I'd love the recipe if your familiar with the dish!! Thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 jhynes2009

Jassha, Thanks so much, this is a fantastic thread! :) Just wondering if by any chance you know where I could find an asian shop in Galway?

Advertisement