Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I love the sweet and sour sauce from my local takeaway. Might not be authentic but it's very nice. Any idea how to make it? I tried a recipe online once and it was a disaster, I had to throw it out.

Also one of my favourite dishes is Char Sui Pineapple. Not sure if you know it, but it's slices of roast pork in this thick sauce with big chunks of onion and pineapple in it.

Also, I think I've seen you mention potato flour and corn flour. Where does one get those? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Wow this is an amazing thread!! Thanks so much Jassha! Am going to start with the chicken and sweetcorn soup - as its my favourite chinese dish and it looks quite simple to make! Do you have a recipe for orange sauce? Tis my partners favourite so maybe I'll treat him to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

G-Money wrote: »
    I think I've seen you mention potato flour and corn flour. Where does one get those? :)

Corn flour is widely available at all supermarkets. Usually located in the sauces soups and condiments aisle or else with the baking products...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Hi Jassha,
    Don't think a recipe for saute mushrooms was asked for yet (apologies if it was).

It's more the sauce recipe I am after as I don't think there's a lot to cooking the mushrooms!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Hi Jassha,

Would you have the recipe for any of the following please?

spring rolls, egg fried rice, chicken meat soong and skewered chicken satay?

I have looked through the thread but not found any recipes for them.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Folks, alot of those recipes have been posted by Jassha already in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Hi Jassha,

Would you have the recipe for any of the following please?

spring rolls, egg fried rice, chicken meat soong and skewered chicken satay?

I have looked through the thread but not found any recipes for them.

Many thanks.

Page 5 has a recipe for satay so you will need to read that page and onwards to find the rest of the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

There is a starter in my local which I love, they call it dry and spicy spare ribs. To me it is cooked very similar to salt and pepper chicken but i could be wrong. Would you have a recipe for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

brilliant stuff
    just read the whole thread from start to finish, got this little gem bookmarked;)

cashew chicken
    if you get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bogshepherd

Hi Jassha,

Got any good recipes for chinese 5 spice chicken, i got 5 spice chicken udon noodles from my chinese and it was awesome. What exactly are udon noodles do you know and how would i go about recreating this?

Also would love to know how to go about cooking duck in honey garlic chilli sauce, but maybe thats a bit too complicated?

Awesome thread btw:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Fantastic thread :D

I'll can't wait to try these out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Also, how do I make the 'yellow' egg fried rice-what gives it the yellow colour?
    That would be dark soy sauce but it's better without it. Fried rice found in proper restaurants (not takeaways) aren't yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    That would be dark soy sauce but it's better without it. Fried rice found in proper restaurants (not takeaways) aren't yellow.

would it not be turmeric? In my experience dark soy sauce just turns stuff brown & turmeric is used to give food a yellow colour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

would it not be turmeric? In my experience dark soy sauce just turns stuff brown & turmeric is used to give food a yellow colour
    Well, there's no reason why turmeric can't be used to make fried rice yellow but turmeric is not a typical spice/ingredients in a chinese kitchen. In my experience, having worked in various chinese takeaways, they generally use soy sauce to flavour and colour the fried rice but they're not bright yellow. If your local chinese serves up bright yellow fried rice then it might be turmeric...i don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Well, there's no reason why turmeric can't be used to make fried rice yellow but turmeric is not a typical spice/ingredients in a chinese kitchen. In my experience, having worked in various chinese takeaways, they generally use soy sauce to flavour and colour the fried rice but they're not bright yellow. If your local chinese serves up bright yellow fried rice then it might be turmeric...i don't know.

actually, you're totally right. I think I'm getting my fried rice with eggy yellowness & bright yellow Spanish/Mexican style rice confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,872 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Take aways would not be adverse to using good old food colouring, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

jassha wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68509890#post68509890
    The above is a link to the salt and chilli chicken i posted a while ago. Enjoy

Just tried this, it was savage!

Made a slight change though, for the batter for the chicken i dipped them in seasoned flour - egg - seasoned flour. (had no potato flour).

for the stir fry all i used was Onion, green + red pepper and the hottest chilli i could find, had no white wine, threw a very small dash of water into the pan and fried it off.

The spice mix is amazing! The chicken tasted the exact same as take-out.

Thanks OP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Have you the recipe for Green Curry?

I've searched the thread, cant seem to find one already posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

mix together the following in a pot and bring to the boil..
    half litre vinegar
    1 and half litres water
    6 cloves garlic
    2 inch piece of ginger
    sliced orange
    sliced lemon
    2 sticks celery chopped
    dash worchestershire
    half litre ketchup

when boiled add approx 1 kg sugar and mix well
    simmer for 10 mins
    strain

use as required by stir frying some veg, add the sauce, and thicken with potato flour when boiled

Enjoy

Thanks Jassha
    Just made this. used half the ingredients above and still have loads . I got enough for 10 dinners easily.

Have it divided up now in tupperware and I'm gonna freeze it. when i need it in future all I need do is defrost and thicken with the corn flour

This is the closest sweet n sour sauce to my local chinese I've ever tasted

Thanks again

Muchos Kudos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I'm looking for a recipe for szechuan cumin lamb ribs - I had them once in a restaurant in Melbourne and I'm desperate to recreate them.

They look like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/avlxyz/4304026153/

They're deep fried, in some combination of szechuan pepper, cumin powder and chilli pepper, and then there's fried onions and red and green peppers as well. I just can't get the batter right...any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

rubadub wrote: »

here is an online shop BTW

http://bombaybazar.ie

free delivery if you spend a lot.

Does anyone know of an online store that will sell Chinese ingredients rather then Indian? Or know of a good store in Limerick that will sell the ingrediants?

I want to make salt and chilli shredded chicken, chicken curry and sweet and sour chicken.

Also, does anyone have a recipe for general tso's chicken? It's possibly called something else in other areas. I have seen it as General Tsung's also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Limericks wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an online store that will sell Chinese ingredients rather then Indian? Or know of a good store in Limerick that will sell the ingrediants?

I want to make salt and chilli shredded chicken, chicken curry and sweet and sour chicken.

Also, does anyone have a recipe for general tso's chicken? It's possibly called something else in other areas. I have seen it as General Tsung's also.

Can't help with the store, but there's a recipe for General Tso's chicken here: http://rasamalaysia.com/general-tsos-chicken/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 fairweather

would love a recipie for black pepper sauce - i love it! and i love this thread! thank you so much for all the amazing recipies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Jassha I'd like the recipe to King Do sauce if you know it. I've only seen it in my local chinese and nowhere else. It's reddish in colour and tastes fruity. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

would love a recipie for black pepper sauce - i love it! and i love this thread! thank you so much for all the amazing recipies

think its around page 9 but it was given

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

But that would depend on the number of posts per page specified in your settings. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Thanks Jassha - I made the Szechuan sauce last night. It was delicious! I'll be trying a few more of your recipes for sure!

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10259

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Limericks wrote: »

There's a Chinese food store on Henry street right beside the Limerick Post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

You will need
    -diced ribeye beef(pre-fried like in other recipes)
    -sliced veg of choice
    -minced garlic
    -cracked black pepper
    -oyster sauce
    -dark soy sauce
    -sesame oil

Hot wok then add
    -little oil
    -1 teaspoon garlic
    -1 teaspoon oyster sauce
    -1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    -veg of choice
    -splash of wine
    -beef
    -water or stock
    -season with salt,sugar and white pepper
    -thicken with a little potato flour mixed with water
    -add some dark soy for colour and a few drops of sesame oil

Enjoy

Here is the black pepper sauce....

I now make this at home regularly. Thanks Jassha. Hope you post back on here soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 seller567

trackguy wrote: »
    Thanks Jassha - I made the Szechuan sauce last night. It was delicious! I'll be trying a few more of your recipes for sure!

Looks great, really want to make this myself. I have most of the ingredients but I just cannot find Hot Bean Sauce anywhere. Would you know anywhere that stocks it. Thanks

Advertisement