Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

RainyDay wrote: »
    Nice thread - any suggestions for side salads to accompany beef and chicken main courses for a Asian themed dinner party?

Maybe something like this http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/0929/1241-chinese-leaf-orange-and-walnut-salad/ though the cottage cheese doesn't sound particularly appetising to me.

green papaya salad works really well imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

any for dim sums?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Any recipe's for a general Chinese chicken stir fry. I have oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinager, toasted sesame oil, the usual veg and chicken breasts. Oh, chillie and garlic too. What else do I need for that authentic Chinese flavour?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fungums

hi just wondering where I would find potato flour? have looked in large tescos but couldnt find it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fungums wrote: »
    hi just wondering where I would find potato flour? have looked in large tescos but couldnt find it

Asian or African shops.

• Advertisement

Fungums wrote: »

Eastern european shops have it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Conors10262

how do you make schezuan chicken i love it .....please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

how do you make schezuan chicken i love it .....please
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68832504&postcount=40
    I know this recipy is for squid but it would probably work for chicken as well.

Post number 360 on this thread by decisions has a list of all the recipies. It's very handy. Enjoy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

Hi Jassha.
    How would you make roast pork and pepper sauce ?? I can’t find it :-)
    Thanks for all the great stuff you are showing, you are putting the fun back in the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Im pretty okay when it comes to cooking and there is one dish i would love to recreate at home if possible... please no one laugh! :o

How do i create chicken and mushroom with fried rice? - i love this dish and i have never found a recipe online that comes close to recreating it like the dish you would get in a chinese restaurant or even a chinese take away. I can never get the chicken as soft, and can never seem to get the sauce right.

Hopefully there might be someone or even a Chinese restaurant chef on here that might be able to help me.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Access wrote: »
    anyone any ideas?

the sauce is going to be different with each restaurant.
    Ask the restaurant what is in their sauce and we can see if we can find a recipe.

here is a link that may help you with soft chicken http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2011/12/how-to-make-seriously-tender-chicken-for-chinese-food.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bubba185

this sauce is by far the best and exactly like the chinese give it a go.
    1/2 cup caster sugar
    1/2 cup of white wine vinegar or rice wine
    1/4 cup of water
    1 cup of mi wadi orange juice not diluted
    teaspoon of sweet chilli sauce
    3 drops of red food colouring
    2tbsp of corn flour diluted in a little water 3 tbsp approx

method: place a saucepan on the heat, add the vinegar and sugar bring to a simmer. add the water bring to a gentle simmer again, add the mi wadi bring to the boil and add the sweet chilli sauce then the food colouring, to thicken add the cornflour, chinese sweet and sour sauce is always more sweet and the mi wadi is what they use almost everywhere its the best sauce, for more sharpness add vinegar or more sweetness sugar add a pinch of salt or msg to taste or more mi wadi for personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Jimmy's Sate Sauce Recipes

http://www.jimmysate.co.uk/recipes.html

THE ULTIMATE SATAY SAUCE

http://www.jimmysate.co.uk/chinese-ultimate-sate-sauce.html

The only problem is, that I have not been able to get a jar of this in Asia Market on my last few visits

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

dvcireland wrote: »

THE ULTIMATE SATAY SAUCE

The only problem is, that I have not been able to get a jar of this in Asia Market on my last few visits

Saw bottles of them in Eurasia Fonthill a couple of weeks ago. I've never tried Jimmy's. I personally like Yeo's, and would add sliced onions, lemongrass bruised and extra roasted pink peanuts, and simmer on low until the onions and peanuts are slightly soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

THE ULTIMATE SATAY SAUCE

Tony's Shop in the main street in Bray has this for definite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

THE ULTIMATE SATAY SAUCE

I bought a jar of this on spec after you asked about it and THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I just had an amazingly delicious chicken satay based on this recipe:

http://meltingfood.com/recipes/430-chicken-satay

But I used drumstick meat and added about 1-2 tablespoons of coconut cream powder plus a bit of water to make it "saucier".

Best satay I've had in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 drik

Hi All

Would anyone have a link to the massive Chinese recipe thread that was on here a few years back?

Thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There you go!

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 37 drik

Thanks a mil!! Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Oooh chinese! Yum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

I don't know whether this thread can be revived but here goes.

Crispy aromatic duck. This is a great tasting dish that is usually served with pancakes, vegetables and hoi-sin sauce.

OK, where do I start.

Three methods I know to prepare the duck meat.

Steaming
    Boiling
    Infusion bag boiling (same really but the bag's less messy)

Steaming requires the ingredients to be rubbed on the duck skin and the cavity stuffed. The results are good but I'm going to show you my preferred method, the infusion bag.

Cut your duck/s in half long ways of course. You will need a really sharp cleaver to do this so be careful. Rinse it thoroughly and put aside. You will need the following.

Piece of sliced ginger.
    1 head of garlic chopped.
    4 Cinnamon sticks.
    2 bay leaves.
    2 red onions chopped.
    1 Tbsp of fennel seeds.
    A few grams of clove.
    Dried orange peel.

Put the above in a fusion bag and secure.

Now for the crucial bit. If you want the best aromatic duck you need one of these. Again, this makes all the difference and you will make restaurant quality.

It wont let me post a link it says I'm a new user but you need a perforator tool (skin pricker) google it. Sold in Chinese supermarkets or you can use about a dozen wooden skewers held together with elastic bands as a make shift one.

This tool is used for pork belly and char siu but we also use it for the duck.

Stab the duck over and over with this and set aside.

Now put the infusion bag in the pot, duck on top and add water. Too the water add light and dark soy's sauces and some 5 spice powder. You can season with sugar, black pepper and MSG if you want.

Bring the pot to a fierce boil then simmer on a low heat for about an hour or so. Let it sit for another 30 minutes in the stock until it cools.

Take the duck pieces out and wait until dry.

Reason for this is we are now going to deep fry and oil, water do not mix.

Deep fry the duck about 170c until it looks cooked. Remove and shred, eat it, enjoy:)

*Quick edit.* Hoi-sin sauce. Buy a LKK (Lee Kum Kee) or any brand from a Chinese shop and modify it.

1 Tbsp Hoi-sin add to 1 ladle of chicken stock. Bring to the boil and mix then add a little sugar and MSG then thicken with potato starch/water to the desired consistency.

Chinese gravy!

Do you enjoy that dark brown gravy they sell with a portion of chips or the spring chicken dish? In fact some places sell it with sausages etc. It can also be used on Foo Yung dishes if you want.

There are a couple of videos on you-tube making the gravy paste and IMHO they wont replicate the true taste. They are just infused oil with flour and a gravy browning to add the colour. In fact you can buy this gravy as a concentrate from Chinese supermarkets but I reckon it will disappoint when you compare it to your local take away!

Step 1. Make your paste. Now no matter how hard you try there will be separation between the oil and flour when it cools. Dont worry, just mix it REALLY WELL before use.

(A)
    500ml veg oil
    3 pieces of Cinnamon
    10 star anise
    4 bay leaves
    1 onion chopped
    1 head of garlic chopped
    1 piece of ginger chopped
    1 stick of celery chopped
    2 red chilies whole

Fry ingredients (A) for about 30 minutes.
    Sieve the oil out from the veg and spices.
    In a pot add 350g of plain flour and on a low heat mix with the oil and cook out for about 20 minutes. Set aside.

Ingredients (B) In a pan add 3 Tbsp of your gravy paste (flour/oil) to 250ml chicken stock.
    Heat gently mix until it's smooth.

Ingredients (C)
    Add 1 Tsp sugar
    Pinch of pepper
    Add 1 Tsp MSG
    Add 1/4 Tsp chicken powder
    Add 1 Tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine
    Add 1 Tsp of oyster sauce
    Add 1 Tsp light soy sauce
    Splash of dark soy sauce.
    Use either gravy browning or a dark brown colouring agent to make that desired colour.
    *Tip. Add Ingredients (C) to a small cup and add all at once

Mix really well under heat until your desired thickness. *Flour being the thickening agent.
    This will produce a great tasting sauce that goes well in so many dishes.

Example.
    Roast 1 chicken breast with skin on. Chop it up.
    Chop 1 tomato in half and grill it.
    Quarter 2 large mushrooms and deep fry for 10 seconds. Set aside to drain.

Put your chicken, mushrooms, tomato and gravy into a wok and heat it up. Chinese chicken and gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

How big a piece of ginger, John? And "chicken powder"? Can a home chef make that or is it commercially available in Ireland? Would a bit of a stock cube be a substitute? Thanks. :-)

Dubl07 wrote: »
    How big a piece of ginger, John? And "chicken powder"? Can a home chef make that or is it commercially available in Ireland? Would a bit of a stock cube be a substitute? Thanks. :-)

The size of the ginger isn't too important. About 100g should do it. Peel it and slice it thinly. The smaller you chop the veg the more flavour you will impart into the oil.
    Also, dry fry the cinnamon and star anise before putting into hot oil, this helps too.

I'll let you into a secret. Great Chinese food is made by using chicken stock. Not just water to help create a sauce. And one of the biggest selling products in a Chinese store is 'Knorr' chicken powder. This makes a good stock and it gets used in many different ways to add a meaty taste to other products.

We put a bit in the fried rice dishes along with oyster sauce, dark, light soy etc and it makes a wonderful taste.

Hope this helps. You probably could use a Knorr stock cube. Because I put light soy and Knorr powder in this sauce I miss out the salt. There's plenty salt between the soy and the powder and rather than over salt the sauce and ruin it you can add it to your meal later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

Has anyone been able to cook something close to what you would get in a chinese take away for chicken satay main course? I have tried the recipe on this thread
    (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68949770&postcount=71)

but found that it didn't taste the same. Jimmys Satay sauce is quite spicy/hot. Chicken satay tends to be a mild peanut sauce in my local take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RJohnG posted this recently
    RJohnG wrote: »
    Quick tasty satay!

Cut your chicken breast into the required size to put on skewers.

Boil some water that has a Cinnamon stick, star anise and cloves in it. Blanch the chicken for 2 - 3 minutes in the boiling water then let it dry. This will add flavour. Put the chicken on the skewers and deep fry until cooked.

Peanut sauce you need smooth peanut butter, sesame oil, coconut milk, chili powder, hot madras curry powder, water, salt and MSG. I don't measure out quantities but for example use half a jar of peanut butter, 70ml of sesame oil and 100 - 150ml coconut milk, 100 - 150ml water.
    The curry and chili amount is up to you, depending on how spicy you like the sauce dip. Try 1Tsp each to begin with. Put it all in a saucepan and add salt and MSG.Heat up until it's all blended. The longer you cook it out the thicker it will become as the water in the mix will reduce.

Your dipping sauce should be thick and spicy you should see the red chili and oil in the finished product.

Serve the chicken on a bed of onion and pineapple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

rubadub wrote: »
    RJohnG posted this recently

Christ! I'm only after eating my dinner a few minutes ago, but reading that has me starved again. Sounds amazing!

Phantom99 wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to cook something close to what you would get in a chinese take away for chicken satay main course? I have tried the recipe on this thread
    (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68949770&postcount=71)

but found that it didn't taste the same. Jimmys Satay sauce is quite spicy/hot. Chicken satay tends to be a mild peanut sauce in my local take away.

No 2 Chinese shops are the same. Always slight differences in taste and style.
    Jimmy's satay is a concentrate. You can use as much or as little as you want.
    If you like it spicy use a 1/1 ratio Jimmy's and smooth peanut butter.
    If you like it mild use a 1/3 ratio Jimmy's and smooth peanut butter. Also use chicken stock, salt, and thicken with potato starch, water at the end.

This is main course, not meat skewers. The one I posted is the peanut dipping sauce. But like I say, some Chinese make spicy satay sauce, others don't. same as your curry sauce. Some make a light fruity sauce, others make a spicy one.
    Different places. But you can easily recreate their sauce by adjusting the above quantities.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Christ! I'm only after eating my dinner a few minutes ago, but reading that has me starved again. Sounds amazing!

It's nice. You can also use it over beef, prawns etc. Garnish with onion, pineapple, green long cut peppers etc. Putting the skewers on top. Makes a nice starter indeed.

Advertisement