Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Gigs. Read OP.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Engine Alley are on in the Project Arts Centre tonight.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jape in newbridge, also tonight.

Jape, Rubberbandits + Little Green Cars in the Workman's tonight (Sun).

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

richmond fontaine were great.

bouts ep launch in whelans tonight. free in.
    i cant make it :(
    http://gimmebouts.com/

This Friday in the Joinery, Small Hours wake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭u:mack

this friday:

u:mack
    Present
    The Magic Band
    Friday December 2nd
    Button Factory
    Doors 7.30
    Tickets €25 From Sound Cellar & Tickets.ie/umack

The Magic Band make their debut Irish appearance this friday. Reunited in 2001, the band will be performing music from all the albums they created with Captain Beefheart (who retired from music in 1982, and sadly passed away in 2010), from 1967's "Safe as Milk" onwards. Don't miss this rare opportunity to witness this incredible event.
    This preformance will feature:
    John “Drumbo” French, Vocals, harmonica & drums
    Denny “Feelers Rebo” Walley, Slide guitar
    Mark “Rocket Morton” Boston, Bass
    Eric Klerks , guitar
    Craig Bunch, drums

check out this incredible footage from 2006
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsr7YQj4b00

Some other People's thought's on the reformed Magic band:
    For those who have yet to experience the Magic Band's truly ambitious weirdness, these shows will astonish you. And for tried and true Beefheart fans like me, these are deliriously momentous occasions with maybe a nostalgic, avant-garde sniffle or two
    Matt Groening (creator of The Simpsons)

John Peel was initially skeptical about the re-formed Magic Band. He played a live recording of the band recorded at the 2003 All Tomorrows Parties festival on his radio show; afterwards he couldn't speak and had to put on another record to regain his composure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Gig tonight in Roisin Dubh Galway tonight with the Frank and Walters, the Deprivations, Elaine Mai and Rams Pocket Radio. Apply through Hotpress.com for free tickets. Just after getting two there. Handy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

This might prove a useful thread.
    Tips for upcoming gigs/discussion and reviews of gigs attended welcomed.
    Obviously we want to avoid mass duplication of the Gig/Events forum so keep on-topic which I know most will.Those gigs where you pay a ten or twenty quid and see something great are by far my fav type of Gig.
    Anyway first up am curious to hear How Animal Collective gig last night went down..Anyone go?

There was/is already a thread for upcoming gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

notnumber wrote: »
    This might prove a useful thread.
    Tips for upcoming gigs/discussion and reviews of gigs attended welcomed.
    Obviously we want to avoid mass duplication of the Gig/Events forum so keep on-topic which I know most will.Those gigs where you pay a ten or twenty quid and see something great are by far my fav type of Gig.
    Anyway first up am curious to hear How Animal Collective gig last night went down..Anyone go?

I was there, immense.
    The entire place sat on the floor for the intro of My Girls, then lepped up when it kicked off. Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I was there, immense.
    The entire place sat on the floor for the intro of My Girls, then lepped up when it kicked off. Amazing.

Found that kind of embarrassing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Going to see Matt Corby next Weds in Whelan's. Ozzie dude, think he came 3rd on Australia X factor a few years back but has slightly reinvented himself as an excellent singer/songwriter. Not sure what sort of crowd is going to be there.

This song, in particular, is amazing. One of my favourite songs over the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Yeah, the Animal Collective gig was excellent. The songs off 'Centipede Hz' translated really well (particularly the spikier, beat-driven tunes like 'Moonjock' and 'Today's Supernatural) and while the musical interludes between songs did drag at times, the soundscapes they produced were astonishing. There was a bittersweet realisation though that the gig only really took legs when they played the MPP cuts ('Brothersport' was spectacular).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nissim

Were Prince Rama supporting when you guys saw Animal Collective? If so, what did you think of them?

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I have a very busy gig month ahead of me!
    -Passion Pit at the Olympia 11/11
    -Citizens! at Academy 2 12/11
    -Keane at the Olympia 21/11
    -Shearwater at Button Factory 28/11
    -Purity Ring at Button Factory 29/11
    -Wild Nothing at Workman's Club 01/12

The last two are those I anticipate the most: I've half-seen Purity Ring at Forbidden Fruit and found them quite interesting and Wild Nothing's Nocturne is one of my favourite albums this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Exitmusic playing Whelans this Saturday 10/11. Cracking little band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVC1LP5AuVk

The Dirty Three are playing The Button Factory on Nov 23rd. Guaranteed stormer of a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Got tickets for Turn's last tour. Unfortunately I'm only in Ireland for the Cork date on Dec 27 so have to travel to bandit country for it :o:p

Ah well, just glad I can catch them on my trip home and at 15 euro it's a snip. One of my favourite ever Irish bands.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Found that kind of embarrassing myself.

From what I've heard Deakin thought it was rather cool and was blown away by it.

Shockin easy to embarrass you. Did you stand at the back, arms folded appreciating the time signatures?

• Advertisement

Stompbox wrote: »
    Yeah, the Animal Collective gig was excellent. The songs off 'Centipede Hz' translated really well (particularly the spikier, beat-driven tunes like 'Moonjock' and 'Today's Supernatural) and while the musical interludes between songs did drag at times, the soundscapes they produced were astonishing. There was a bittersweet realisation though that the gig only really took legs when they played the MPP cuts ('Brothersport' was spectacular).

Desperately wanted Moonjock as the opener, with the "This is the news...9-8-7-6.." intro. Chcked setlist fm before the gig so I was ready for Rosie Oh, odd choice I think.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I have a very busy gig month ahead of me!
    -Passion Pit at the Olympia 11/11
    -Citizens! at Academy 2 12/11
    -Keane at the Olympia 21/11
    -Shearwater at Button Factory 28/11
    -Purity Ring at Button Factory 29/11
    -Wild Nothing at Workman's Club 01/12

The last two are those I anticipate the most: I've half-seen Purity Ring at Forbidden Fruit and found them quite interesting and Wild Nothing's Nocturne is one of my favourite albums this year.

Looking forward to this one
    and Jens Lekman in a couple of weeks.

The Ambience Affair support for exitmusic:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Local Natives Feb 11 in Whelans. thought they might have played a bigger venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

From what I've heard Deakin thought it was rather cool and was blown away by it.

Where'd you hear that out of interest? I did see a smile break over his face during that start of the sit-down.

Stompbox wrote: »
    Where'd you hear that out of interest? I did see a smile break over his face during that start of the sit-down.

Promoter mentioned it on twitter after the gig

Shockin easy to embarrass you. Did you stand at the back, arms folded appreciating the time signatures?

It was actually class. Unexpected and the band obviously enjoyed it.....as did the majority of the crowd. An it was a brilliant gig.

The Ambience Affair where excellent as the support band,the trio from Meath had a lot of stage energy,great vocal delivery and a very 'enthusiastic' drummer. Exitmusic where a real tour de force. Aleksa Palladino has an amazing voice,passage was my highlight of the show.Finished too soon is my only real complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Anybody going to Destroyer in Whelan's Thursday night?
    Haven't seen them mentioned on this forum ... Kaputt is a fantastic album

• Advertisement

Looking forward to Fr. John Misty tonight. Should be a really good gig.

Advertisement