Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Gigs. Read OP.

Options
  • 01-11-2010 10:34pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok punks, from chatting to Jeff we've had the idea of a alt/indie gigs thread. But there will be a few rules as we don't want a thread full of random gigs as there's a forum for that kinda thing already.

So here we go.

1) Try and keep the gigs alt/indie to the extreme side of things.
    (i.e. no KOL/RHCP/U2/REM kinda bands.)

2) Try and keep it to smaller venues.

3) The gig you want to talk about has to be within the next 3-4 weeks. Please also include dates as opposed to just saying 'next Friday' or 'this Thursday'

Right I'll kick things off with this one.

Casiotone for the Painfully Alone.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056076900

Saturday November 6th
    Tickets €15 (incl booking fee) from www.tickets.ie, City Discs & Ticketmaster outlets nation

And as a taster:

Looking forward to seeing what ye peeps are checking out.

/edit: Also be sure and say if you are going or not. As it stands i'm very likely to check this one out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭La frog fairy

great idea!

and thanks for this one, might pop over myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

I like this idea, I think Tokyo Police Club are playing in The Academy this friday, No Monster Club and We Are Losers are also playing next door in Twisted Pepper.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    I like this idea, I think Tokyo Police Club are playing in The Academy this friday, No Monster Club and We Are Losers are also playing next door in Twisted Pepper.

Cool, next time if you could throw up a vid or a bit about them that would be sweet.

Just don't want this to turn into a list thread. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Micah P Hinson (solo)
    Thursday 4th November, Crawdaddy.

Support from:
    Serafina Steer
    Autumn Owls (acoustic)

Tickets €15

Heading along to this one myself. I think I've seen him about 6 or 7 times at this stage and he's always very good live. Too bad he's not playing with a full band though, he's outstanding when he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Checked out some of that Cassiotone stuff, really like it, he's got a sound that reminds me of some anticon bands, I love his deadpan misery on "I love Creedence", great tune.

I got a ticket to the gig, good call man, cheers.

• Advertisement

smokedeels wrote: »
    Checked out some of that Cassiotone stuff, really like it, he's got a sound that reminds me of some anticon bands, I love his deadpan misery on "I love Creedence", great tune.

I got a ticket to the gig, good call man, cheers.

Deadly. Glad the thread is already doing some good!

Casiotone is damn good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

ASIWYFA + Fionn Regan + Jape in the Pavillion in Cork on Friday the 12th.

The are doing a tour aroudn Ireland, switching up the support/headline slots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

^^^
    Same gig on in Dolans Warehouse Limerick the next night, Saturday 13th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

... They're in Roisin Dubh, Galway this Thurs 11 Nov. for only 15 quid it's a fantastic tour. never seen ASIWYFA live yet but really looking forward to it. (have to say that the number and quality of gigs in Galway is unreal for it's size, I love it here!)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

For anyone not at Casiotone last night, unlucky. One of the most enjoyable gigs i've been to in ages. Workmans Club gets a big thumbs up too. Warm intimate atmosphere and quality sound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Darkwhite

Steven Young (The Black Marquee)

www.myspace.com/stevenalbertyoung
    www.myspace.com/theblackmarquee

The Black Strands

www.myspace.com/theblackstrands

+ Guests,
    23rd November-The Pint Dublin,
    €10

I hope someone comes down....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

lordgoat wrote: »
    For anyone not at Casiotone last night, unlucky. One of the most enjoyable gigs i've been to in ages. Workmans Club gets a big thumbs up too. Warm intimate atmosphere and quality sound.

I was really impressed with the venue, first time I've been.

The gig was great, felt bad for the support act having a technological meltdown earlier in the day and having to strip his performance down to vocals/guitar, but he still played a good set and has some nice songs.

Casiotone was brilliant, really good natured vibe in the room too. He has such a strong set of songs, will be interesting to see what he comes back with post-hiatus.

smokedeels wrote: »
    I was really impressed with the venue, first time I've been.

The gig was great, felt bad for the support act having a technological meltdown earlier in the day and having to strip his performance down to vocals/guitar, but he still played a good set and has some nice songs.

Casiotone was brilliant, really good natured vibe in the room too. He has such a strong set of songs, will be interesting to see what he comes back with post-hiatus.

I agree completely with this. It was as someone said 'the whole place is like being in someones house'!

Really great atmosphere. Crayonsmith the support was super. Really solid performance. Will def check him out properly again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

+1 to the awesomeness of the Workman's Club. Small and perfectly formed. It's nice, but not overdone. My single complaint is the incredibly narrow corridor of death down to the toilets, which I can imagine presenting an insurmountable challenge after a few drinks...

Casiotone... was great. Really great, and it sucks to know how much I've been missing. Wish the guy all the best.

OT, but is there any chance of an Indie/ Alt general chatter thread?

+1 to the awesomeness of the Workman's Club. Small and perfectly formed. It's nice, but not overdone. My single complaint is the incredibly narrow corridor of death down to the toilets, which I can imagine presenting an insurmountable challenge after a few drinks...

Casiotone... was great. Wish the guy all the best.

OT, but is there any chance of an Indie/ Alt general chatter thread?

Done.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056083108

Also were you at casiotone too? Seems there was a good few of us at this gig.

internet vs real life. weirds.

It's a funny one yeah, there must have been a load of us within arm's length of each other yesterday with no idea. You'd think the stink of boards.ie nerd would have given it away. :D

I'd heard bits and pieces of CFTPA, but hadn't really taken the time to hear more, and I'm sorely sorry about that now, given the circumstances. I got Etiquette last night and I've been listening to it nonstop. I Love Creedence is my favourite track on it thus far, but there's something about the "Mom don't cry/ They are only pearls" line in Scattered Pearls that breaks my heart quite unexpectedly.

It's a funny one yeah, there must have been a load of us within arm's length of each other yesterday with no idea. You'd think the stink of boards.ie nerd would have given it away. :D

I'd heard bits and pieces of CFTPA, but hadn't really taken the time to hear more, and I'm sorely sorry about that now, given the circumstances. I got Etiquette last night and I've been listening to it nonstop. I Love Creedence is my favourite track on it thus far, but there's something about the "Mom don't cry/ They are only pearls" line in Scattered Pearls that breaks my heart quite unexpectedly.

The very same i only started paying attention to him about a month ago, i love 'When you were mine' I was almost tempted to shout up but hey it's not my style.

Ya I did happen across one other boards person. But there were def others!

Just heard that Buck 65 is supporting Holy F*ck. I'll post up details later in work at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Just heard that Buck 65 is supporting Holy F*ck. I'll post up details later in work at the mo

Holy F are brilliant live. Been meaning to check out Buck 65 for a while now.

Kid V wrote: »
    Holy F are brilliant live. Been meaning to check out Buck 65 for a while now.

Ha i don't know them at all but Buck is one cool dude.

Here's the story:

Fri 19/11/10
    Tickets are E18

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=8148211&ar=holyf*ck

This right here is Buck 65.

Kid will you throw up a vid of Holy F*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

They put on a very absorbing live show. Completely instrumental electronic music and no laptops used! They have one song with vocals but they're manipulated somehow kind of like 'Atlas' by Battles. Definitely worth going to see.

This isn't their best song but the video is cat-tastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

The very same i only started paying attention to him about a month ago, i love 'When you were mine' I was almost tempted to shout up but hey it's not my style.

Ya I did happen across one other boards person. But there were def others!

I was at casiotone as well. You should have shouted up for "when you were mine" think it's a fantastic cover. Well maybe i should have shouted for it!
    I thought the vocals were too low and i could hardly make out any words, that's a big problem when your songs are based in such good lyrics.

I was at casiotone as well. You should have shouted up for "when you were mine" think it's a fantastic cover. Well maybe i should have shouted for it!
    I thought the vocals were too low and i could hardly make out any words, that's a big problem when your songs are based in such good lyrics.

It took me so long to place where i knew it from.

Where we were, centre towards the back the vocals were decent, his style always meant they were never going to be crystal clear. Best gig i've been to in ages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ok was anyone at the Casiotone gig who doesn't post on this forum?

So far i count 5 and i still think the weird raver is probably on here!

Well, there were probably a couple of people from this forum who haven't posted about it.

Does that count? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MajorThom

Excellent idea for a thread lordgoat.
    Sorry I wont be able to contribute but if anyone knows of any good gigs coming up in Toronto in the next year then Im all ears:D. (Sorry if it sounds like im bragging:cool: - Im not really:)!!!)

I'll be back next year some time and ill be sure to add something more beneficial to this thread!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Foals live at the Olympia monday the 15th of Nov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I wasn't at it and I do post here. Hope this helps.

Advertisement