Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vikings Waive Moss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Ehhhhhhhhhh.... what?

Why waive him just after getting him?

Is Childress on the way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,762 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lirange wrote: »
    Minnesota just waived the Vikings and they've been picked up off the wire by Los Angeles.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The bloggers are just getting done with the first round of articles slamming the Vikings for the failed Moss experiment. Looks like they might have to be starting work on a Childress obitury now.

What's most amazing is an hour before this news broke Childress had a press confernece where he took a dozen questions relating to Moss without any hint of this, the whole siutation is completely befitting of Hallowe'en.

''AHH! I wish Randy would ask himself a question so we could get some answers''

Best comment ever.

Syferus wrote: »
    The bloggers are just getting done with the first round of articles slamming the Vikings for the failed Moss experiment. Looks like they might have to be starting work on a Childress obitury now.

What's most amazing is an hour before this news broke Childress had a press confernece where he took a dozen questions relating to Moss without any hint of this, the whole siutation is completely befitting of Hallowe'en.

''AHH! I wish Randy would ask himself a question so we could get some answers''

Best comment ever.

Failed experiment lol. Its amazing the way they come up with this stuff. Its only been 4 games and already without being the focus of receptions he has improved things for that offense by pushing back the cover even if he is not double covered and allowing space for Harvin to do his thing.

Harvin had 106 yards through his first three games this seasons. He has 287 in the 4 games since Moss arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Ehhhhhhhhhh.... what?

Why waive him just after getting him?

Is Childress on the way out?

Good article here on why this might all be Childress trying to salvage his reputation more than his job.
    One of the strangest stories of the year is about to get stranger.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that, although coach Brad Childress has informed the team that Moss has been waived, the move has not yet officially occurred -- and Moss (as we reported earlier) still has not been informed of the move.

And here's the part where we speculate on what may really be happening.

It looks like Childress has acted on his own, presumably after the scar on his soul from the T.O. episode of 2005 (Childress was the offensive coordinator in Phily at the time) began to throb like Harry Potter's lightning bolt. (Look, I'm not a Harry Potter fan. But anyone with a kid under the age of 16 knows about Harry Potter, and also has at some point heard about the scar on his forehead that throbs whenever Darth Vader shows up, or something.)

The rock-scissors-paper hierarchy in Minnesota hasn't been clear since the Fred Flintsone look-a-like named Fran Foley was fired for falsifying his work history. The fact that Sage Rosenfels (a Rick Spielman favorite) was traded in favor of Tarvaris Jackson (a Childress-Foley-Rob Brzezinski draft pick) suggests that Chilly has the juice.

Or maybe he really doesn't, and maybe Chilly has tried to dump Moss as a way to bring to the front burner the persistent rumors that Childress could soon be dumped in favor of defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

If Childress can set this up as a Moss-goes-or-I-go decision, then it won't look like the head coach was run out of town for, you know, sucking at his job, but that he took a stand based on principle, and that others in the organization didn't share his views about not having Moss on the team.

Either way, the current situation surely has Vikings fans longing for the simpler days of DUIs, Whizzinators, and sex-and-booze cruises on Lake Minnetonka.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

It must go down as one of the worst trades ever.

Not Moss to the Vikes, me sending Brandon Lloyd for Moss 2 weeks ago on my fantasy team. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Bizarre story. A talented but ultimately flawed WR that although effective is a liability because of his poor attitude. Now if only there was a team that was crying out for another prima donna WR...

20100826-222135-pic-931394435.display.jpg

So the Vikings have confirmed they're putting Moss on the wire tomorrow; the next question is how long untill Childress is looking for a new job given that he's probably lost any sembelence of the dressing room and management that was supporting him.

I almost thought the Vikings would take out Childress and keep Moss, but I guess I making the mistake of thinking logically.
    Childress did not initially tell management of his desire to part with Moss, according to Lombardi, but Childress did tell the team that Moss would be waived. Childress has control over the 53-man roster.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81bca082/article/childress-confirms-vikings-plans-to-waive-wr-moss?module=HP_headlines

It sounds like Childress has royally screwed over everyone, players and management, with this move. He annouced he'd be cutting a star player to the team before he even checked with management, it sounds like a comedy skit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

He wants to go back to New England, anyone could see that based on his press confrence Sunday. Who wants to take a man who doesn't want to be there. Any team that goes after him needs to know that he won't be happy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Tedy Bruschi sums up perfectly how the Vikings have made a meal of this.
    “I’m baffled. I don’t understand why. You heard Adam [Schefter] talk about how they were disappointed maybe by how he was playing and also his postgame press conference [after the loss to the Patriots on Sunday]. He gave a lot of love to New England in that press conference and let me tell you why.

“He spent three-plus years with coach Belichick and then he spent three-plus weeks with Brad Childress. He sees the difference. He saw the difference between Belichick and the Patriot way of doing things and then he saw the Vikings and Childress’ way off doing things. That’s what he did not like.

“The way that it’s being done right now is what I’m upset abut. You don’t do this to Randy Moss. This is one of the best receivers ever to play football. You don’t just release him on a whim like this, after some postgame press conference and one bad performance. Look at the way New England released him. They traded him, got a third-round pick. Bill Belichick called an unscheduled press conference, which is something he never does, to praise Randy Moss, called him a Hall of Fame player and thank him for all of the service that he gave.

“If Brad Childress is using this as a statement to make to his team about the right way of doing things, he lost his opportunity. That opportunity was last week when Brett Favre made the whole week about himself. He should have benched Brett Favre and played Tarvaris Jackson. That was his chance. If he’s trying to send a message, this is the wrong way to do it.”

"Did you not know what you were going to get when you traded for Randy Moss? When you gave up a third round draft pick? I was a third round draft pick. They are very valuable. You don't just give up third round draft picks for nothing. Did you not know what you were getting? I think this is just an example of how inept Brad Childress is as a head coach and Minnesota Vikings are as an organisation."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

I actually think cutting Moss is one of the smarter moves Childress has done in a long time.

But it looks suspiciously like Chilly took this decision solely without the front office where he saw his authority being undermined...i cant always fathom chilly...but i feel randy talked his way out of town

of the teams interested seems SHawks Miami and Redskins are interested most ...they have no real vertical threat ......has anyone thought about McDaniels going for him ?

“I’m baffled. I don’t understand why. You heard Adam [Schefter] talk about how they were disappointed maybe by how he was playing and also his postgame press conference [after the loss to the Patriots on Sunday]. He gave a lot of love to New England in that press conference and let me tell you why.

“He spent three-plus years with coach Belichick and then he spent three-plus weeks with Brad Childress. He sees the difference. He saw the difference between Belichick and the Patriot way of doing things and then he saw the Vikings and Childress’ way off doing things. That’s what he did not like.

“The way that it’s being done right now is what I’m upset abut. You don’t do this to Randy Moss. This is one of the best receivers ever to play football. You don’t just release him on a whim like this, after some postgame press conference and one bad performance. Look at the way New England released him. They traded him, got a third-round pick. Bill Belichick called an unscheduled press conference, which is something he never does, to praise Randy Moss, called him a Hall of Fame player and thank him for all of the service that he gave.

“If Brad Childress is using this as a statement to make to his team about the right way of doing things, he lost his opportunity. That opportunity was last week when Brett Favre made the whole week about himself. He should have benched Brett Favre and played Tarvaris Jackson. That was his chance. If he’s trying to send a message, this is the wrong way to do it.”

"Did you not know what you were going to get when you traded for Randy Moss? When you gave up a third round draft pick? I was a third round draft pick. They are very valuable. You don't just give up third round draft picks for nothing. Did you not know what you were getting? I think this is just an example of how inept Brad Childress is as a head coach and Minnesota Vikings are as an organisation."

I'd agree with that, but I'd also have to add that pretty much no coach has the real authority to end Farve's streak at this point unless his leg or arm is hanging off his body. And of course he had probably the best and most efficient night of the year despite the injury, if anything he trives on this sort of drama. All be told, even Childress isn't stupid enough to not know what he was getting when he brought Farve in.

I also love Bruschi working some self promotion into the discussion - 'I was a third round drraft pick!!'

Hazys wrote: »
    First rumours are Miami and Seattle are interested.

I dont see Randy's eyes lightening up at those prospects.

I dont know ..Miami is a big market ...has no real vertical threat ....great place to live ...they play hard ...reasonably well coached ....lot of players have off-season homes there

Washington is crying out for no 84.....McNabbs best skill is the deep ball on a vertical threat and he doesnt have that at the minute...its teh 2nd largest and richest franchise and can afford it ....Snyder the owner has started to do less of these types of signings tho

How about Rams with Avery down and thin at reciever ...Bradford needs weapons??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Tont Kornheiser/Chilly really is fcuking this up badly.Some of the stuff on pro football talk really makes Moss seem like a ****

Hazys wrote: »
    Waive Claim Order:

Buffalo Bills - no point paying Moss $3.5m if they are not going to make the playoffs and they dont stand a chance of a long term contract.

Dallas Cowboys - No playoffs, no point

Carolina Panthers - No playoffs, no point

San Francisco 49ers - No playoffs, no point

Denver Broncos - No playoffs, no point

Minnesota Vikings

Detroit Lions - Highly doubt it

Cleveland Browns - Mangini is a bit of an idiot so you never know

Cincinnati Bengals - TO, Ocho and Moss...my god what a headache

San Diego Chargers - Possible, Turner is on the Hot Seat, even with Jackson coming back

Arizona Cardinals - Doubt it

Washington Redskins - Possible, decent QB and the badly need a WR

St. Louis Rams - Doubt it with a rookie QB

Oakland Raiders - Doubt it

Jacksonville Jaguars - Doubt it

Seattle Seahawks - Possible, Carroll is probably arrogent enough to believe he can control Moss

Philadelphia Eagles - Very possible, probably a good fit for Moss

Miami Dolphins - Possible

Chicago Bears - Possible, Martz is probably arrogent enough to believe he can control Moss

Tennessee Titans - Possible

New Orleans Saints - Doubt it, Sean Payton would want Moss in his locker room

Green Bay Packers - Possible

Indianapolis Colts - I doubt the Colts would want him in their locker room, but they are WR needy

Houston Texans - Possible

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Doubt it

Pittsburgh Steelers - Doubt it, he's the last thing the Steelers want, they have/had enough PR problems

New York Jets - Possibly to spite the Pats, but they dont need a WR and they have enough trouble getting it to WRs who have been there since training camp. Sanchez to befriend and control Moss, i doubt it

New York Giants - Possible

Kansas City Chiefs - Doubt it, smart mgt who wont take the risk

Baltimore Ravens - Doubt it, they dont need a WR

Atlanta Falcons - Doubt it, smart mgt who wont take the risk

New England Patriots - Wouldnt claim on waiver but sign him on a vet min the next day

Everybody on the list knows Moss wants to be a Patriot, they will be taking a risk signing him.

Of all the possibles, i could only see Moss being "content" in San Diego, Philly, Washington, Green Bay, Houston & NY

The more i look at it, somebody is going to take a chance.

some of this needs to be called out

remember Moss might see the rest of the season as like TO in Buffalo ...a shop window ..no matter where he is...so the no playoff no point may be a point after all ....if he passes through waivers , Vikes are on the hook ..so he plays for a longer contract

Miami - possible - no vertical threat and prevents Pats getting him along with i think Moss might be interested

Rams - possible - Bradford has no vertical threat at presnt and thin at reciever ...two players are out for season or injured ...again might be down to Moss

Kansas - possible - no vertical threat , plus Pioli traded for him (this might mean he doesnt want to be burned ) ...Moss mightnt like it

Chargers - possible - Jackson gone for a bit more and Floyd and Naanee banged up

Browns - Possible - Mangini may be an idiot but not his decision , Holmgren is no idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

No way he goes to the Chargers. Smith dosnt bring players in like Moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Cable hasnt ruled out Oakland making an approach and although he would be an addition to what is at best a weak receiving corps, he's not the player that Oakland needs at this time. Besides I doubt he will want to come back after his experiences here last time. He couldnt wait to go. No, Washington are welcome to him! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

neilster wrote: »
    But it looks suspiciously like Chilly took this decision solely without the front office where he saw his authority being undermined...i cant always fathom chilly...but i feel randy talked his way out of town

of the teams interested seems SHawks Miami and Redskins are interested most ...they have no real vertical threat ......has anyone thought about McDaniels going for him ?

As far as I'm aware Chilly is the front office basically. He has full control over the roster. I disagree with some of the stuff Bruschi says, if they wanted to cut him this was the only way to do it. Expecting Vikings to cut him after 4 games while Childress calls a press conference and tells the world how good a WR he is and how is a HOFer would have been bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Interestingly whoever claims Moss and then loses him to FA at the end of the season will get a 5th rounder Comp pick the year after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

A more professional (than mine) team by team analysis of who would claim Moss:

http://sports.espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/30766/possible-interest-in-randy-moss

• Advertisement

John Clayton's take on ESPN.
    Desperate for a deep threat, the Vikings went for the home run but ended up striking out on Randy Moss.

The cost was a third-round pick and considerable embarrassment. After the Vikings decided Monday that they will waive Moss, the question is whether another team is willing to pay $3.388 million to rent Moss for the rest of the season with the hopes he can make an impact.

Moss' name did not appear on the league's official waiver report Monday. If Moss doesn't appear on the waiver report until Tuesday, the soonest he could be awarded to a team is Wednesday. Waiver claims are made in inverse order of the current standings, so Buffalo, the team with the worst record in the league, has the first shot to claim Moss. A team can claim him and pick up the final year of a contract that pays him $6.4 million a year. If no one claims him, the Vikings owe him the remaining $3.388 million of his deal and he’s available for about $450,000, with Moss picking the team he would like to join.

Whether it’s by waiver claim or a signing, here are the options available for Moss:

St. Louis Rams: This might not sound like a Rams-like move, but Moss has to be a consideration. Remember, the Rams were in the final mix to sign Terrell Owens before he went to the Cincinnati Bengals. Offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur knew Owens from their days together in Philadelphia. There isn’t a similar Moss connection with the current Rams staff. Thanks to the rapid development of rookie quarterback Sam Bradford, the Rams are 4-4 even though they don’t have much left at receiver after injuries to Donnie Avery, Mark Clayton and Danario Alexander. Moss could be worth the gamble in a waiver claim.

Seattle Seahawks: The team might be over budget after paying T.J. Houshmandzadeh not to be a Seahawk, but Moss would be the deep threat this team lacks. The Seahawks looked into acquiring Vincent Jackson. They made a bold move in the trade for running back Marshawn Lynch. Pete Carroll is the type of coach who wouldn’t mind Moss being a little bit of a risk. At USC, Carroll worked with many different personalities and egos.

Washington Redskins: This would be a natural move to claim Moss on waivers if owner Dan Snyder had his way. At wide receiver, the Redskins have Santana Moss, Joey Galloway and a lot of no-names. Money wouldn’t be an issue, so if the Redskins don’t claim him, count them out. But Moss would make great sense. Donovan McNabb has a good deep arm. If he could get some healthy running backs, McNabb would work some play-action passes to Moss. The question is whether coach Mike Shanahan is on board.

Miami Dolphins: After adding Brandon Marshall, the Dolphins aren’t looking for another receiver, but they could put in a waiver claim to prevent him from going back to the New England Patriots. Even with Marshall, the Dolphins have been among the worst teams in the league for explosive plays, so they could justify the move from the offensive standpoint too.

New England Patriots: For economic reasons, the Patriots probably wouldn’t claim him, but if he’s available for about $450,000, how fitting would it be to bring back Moss? The Patriots fleeced the Vikings for a third-round choice, and they could end up with the player for nine games.

Kansas City Chiefs: A year ago, the Chiefs got some positive results picking up wide receiver Chris Chambers. Moss makes even more sense. The Chiefs are 5-2 and in a good position to win the AFC West. General manager Scott Pioli knows Moss from their days together in New England. Matt Cassel might not have the deep arm that works best for Moss, but Moss could make the Chiefs even more dangerous on offense if they make the playoffs.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/30701/several-possible-landing-spots-for-moss

Rochey18 wrote: »
    No way he goes to the Chargers. Smith dosnt bring players in like Moss.

they are missing Naanee , Floyd and Jackson for several more weeks. a number of losses more and it might not just be Norv exiting from San Diego . AJ Smith stubborn nature makes this an outside bet but ESPN says there is a boatload of claims off the wire , thats 10-15 to me and that probably means San Diego

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Can someone tell me why am i not allowed post on the soccer pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Can someone tell me why am i not allowed post on the soccer pages.

You need to have a minimum of 50 posts and then send a "request for access" its all in the stickies in the soccer forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I'd be very surprised to see Moss end up in SD, they are ranked number 1 in offence so there is little to be gained by adding him to the offence. Their issues are special teams and I cant imagine Randy being a gunner on kick returns!

I've really no idea where he ends up but if I was betting on it I'd probably be thinking in terms of Seattle or Chicago. Seattle need another WR to compliment Williams and Chicago need to give Cutler a threat down the field(well some protection is their pressing need!). Both teams would not be afraid of taking Moss, Pete Carroll has he has shown no problem taking on someone with issues and Lovie Smith needs to win now so the Bears cant be discounted.

Apart from them most of the other the teams of interest would probably shy away from Moss being a bad influence on young teams (Bucs, Chiefs etc) or Randy just wouldnt play for them because they are poor teams(Bills etc)

Being released by two teams in the space of a month doesnt bode well for a contender to sign you

frostie500 wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised to see Moss end up in SD, they are ranked number 1 in offence so there is little to be gained by adding him to the offence. Their issues are special teams and I cant imagine Randy being a gunner on kick returns!

I've really no idea where he ends up but if I was betting on it I'd probably be thinking in terms of Seattle or Chicago. Seattle need another WR to compliment Williams and Chicago need to give Cutler a threat down the field(well some protection is their pressing need!). Both teams would not be afraid of taking Moss, Pete Carroll has he has shown no problem taking on someone with issues and Lovie Smith needs to win now so the Bears cant be discounted.

Apart from them most of the other the teams of interest would probably shy away from Moss being a bad influence on young teams (Bucs, Chiefs etc) or Randy just wouldnt play for them because they are poor teams(Bills etc)

Being released by two teams in the space of a month doesnt bode well for a contender to sign you

there is a ton of interest in Moss which i am a little surprised at but Skins rams m fins , jets and pats could all make a play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its hardly shocking that there is plenty of interest in Moss tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I don't see him as a Bear. They have resisted TO on several occasions now and haven't gone out of their way to get any vetran wide outs. Their WR corps are okay, Cutler needs just a little more time and a bit more balance from their running game to get it to them.

I'll be shocked if he gets by the Rams. I think he is just so big for that team. He would stretch the field for them and give room for Steven Jackson to do his thing, its gives more room to Danny Amendola too who has struggled over the last few weeks.

They are on a bye week which gives Moss some time to settle in and get to know the system. Bradford has a big arm too and is well capable of taking shots.

He could go before them but if he goes by them I will be shocked. This team hasn't been in the playoffs for quite a while now and they have a real shot at it this year with a legit deep threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports adds another layer to the Moss story...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-mossbehavior110210

As is the team’s custom on Fridays, a local food establishment was invited to the training facility to serve a catered, post-practice meal in the locker room. In this case, a St. Paul restaurant that is a favorite of former Vikings center Matt Birk(notes). As the proprietors helped serve chicken, ribs, pasta and other dishes to Vikings players, Moss paced up and down the serving line and loudly expressed his displeasure with the offerings.
    According to one player who witnessed the scene, Moss yelled, “What the [expletive]? Who ordered this crap? I wouldn’t feed this to my dog!”
    Said the witness: “It was brutal. The truth is, he deserved to be cut after that. It was such an uncomfortable moment. You know that feeling where you just can tell someone feels so small? That’s what it was like being there.
    “This wasn’t a chain – it was a mom-and-pop restaurant, and you could tell it was their best stuff. They had a special carving station set up, and there were players and other support staff lining up to eat it. And [Moss] is at his locker saying, ‘You know, I used to have to eat that crap – but now I’ve got money.’ You just felt so sad for them. I had never seen anyone treated like that.
    “And by the way, the food was actually really good.”
    While Moss had his share of supporters in the locker room, some Vikings had grown disillusioned with his attitude. From the receiver’s uneven effort in practice to his displays of self-centeredness off the field, some veterans believed Moss was becoming a bad influence to young players like second-year wideout Percy Harvin(notes).
    There was also locker room speculation about Moss’ effort – or lack thereof – on two plays in recent games. With the Vikes facing a last-gasp fourth-down pass in a 28-24 defeat to the Packers in Green Bay two Sundays ago, quarterback Brett Favre(notes) threw a high pass in the back of the end zone that sailed over Moss’ head, though it didn’t appear as though the receiver made an effort to jump for the ball.

Looks to me like he was just trying to get waived, throwing hissy fits, telling the Patriots how much he misses them. Would you really want this guy in your locker room? He totally could have caught that pass for a TD too, the one where he drew the PI call. Guy needs to grow up.

Advertisement