Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vikings Waive Moss

Options
  • 01-11-2010 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Breaking news on NFL.com that the Vikings have waived Moss, seems odd so soon...

Childress told the team in meeting they waived Moss as Moss did not go back with the team to Minnesota. Moss was not in the meeting.

In theory could the Patriots take him back for free?? In theory.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Wow, i dont blame them tbh.

As a Pat's fan im not 100% sure i want him back, he is still very talented, but he's could be a cancer again in the locker room if he hasnt learned his lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He'll have to hit Waiver's first. However I'm not sure many teams would want him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

wtf? Is this a wind up? Is that jeremy beadle I see?

For suuuuuure?

(Serious post, why the hell trade for him and then release him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

As NFL.com are lazy to throw up something PFT have a tad more details on it:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/01/report-vikings-waive-randy-moss/
    Randy Moss' bizarre press conference Sunday night wound up being his farewell to Minnesota.

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi reports that the Vikings waived Moss on Monday. At his Monday press conference, Vikings coach Brad Childress mentioned that he allowed Moss to stay back in Boston for a few days before re-joining the team. Looks like he can stay there.

We have no reason to believe the story is not true, but PFT can report via a league source that Moss is not yet aware that he's been released.

Moss would now be subject to leave waiver rules and could be claimed by any team. The Bills would have the first crack at him because they have the worst record.

Lombardi writes that Childress inform the Vikings in a team meeting that Moss was out.

Perhaps there was more to the story of Moss not returning with the team on Sunday night. Maybe Moss' press conference frustrated Childress more than he let on and they say the direction his lack of cooperation with the team was going.

Either way, a Super Bowl hopeful just decided for the second time in a month that Moss was no longer worth all the trouble of keeping.

At least the Patriots got a third-round pick out of it.

DBIreland wrote: »
    In theory could the Patriots take him back for free?? In theory.

As Chucky said Waiver rules apply:
    Waivers
    An NFL player may be waived by his current team for reasons of performance or declining skill. Anytime a player is waived between Feb. 1 and the trade deadline (the end of the sixth week of the NFL season), the player is free to negotiate a new contract with any team. However, if a team waives the player after the trade deadline, he is subject to the waiver claim process--by reverse order of the NFL standings. Any player claimed in this capacity is granted additional rights based on whether he has a no-trade provision in the player contract. A player with a no-trade provision may become an unrestricted free agent immediately following that season. A player without a no-trade provision may become an unrestricted free agent following the next subsequent season. If a player without a no-trade provision is signed only through the current season, he may also declare for free agency immediately after the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I think there can be little question now that Moss has been less than stellar behind the scenes this year. And given last night's presidential address, he's not been all that together in front of the camera either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Normally the waiver wire doesn't exist for veterns, but apparently it does for everybody after the trade deadline.

I'd hate to see him go to the Colts or Jets...but any teams will take a massive risk of claiming him and paying him $6M if he doesnt want to play for them.

Since Pats have the best record at the mo, we are 32nd preference on the wire.

And at that rate their would be no point in putting in a claim and picking up his contract...we can negoitate with him as a free agent

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Can Moss refuse to be claimed by a team? Lets say the Jets claim him, can he say no? If he says no will he drop to unrestricted free agency?

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    Since Pats have the best record at the mo, we are 32nd preference on the wire.

And at that rate their would be no point in putting in a claim and picking up his contract...we can negoitate with him as a free agent

Be interesting to see if anyone actually claims him in the next 24 hours. I can see him becoming a free agent and no one claiming within the 24 hour deadline for waivers.

I personally don't want him back as a Pats fan. Dude has issues it seems.

DBIreland wrote: »
    Can Moss refuse to be claimed by a team? Lets say the Jets claim him, can he say no? If he says no will he drop to unrestricted free agency?

I dont think he can say No...but he could always have a another press conference where he askes himself Q's about whether he is happy to play for the Jets and see if he hits the waiver wire again.

Also the claiming team will only have to pay for the remainder of his $6m contract which is around $3.5m...still a huge financial and team chemistry risk

I saw this in a Vikings forum:
    ****, it's Monday and we're still being outcoached by Belichick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I actually think cutting Moss is one of the smarter moves Childress has done in a long time.

It's interesting he stuck around in NE, I'd assume he'd still have a house or some sort of residence in the area? If he were to still be there today it might hint at what his intentions are.

From the NFL.com report, when Childress told the team even some Vikings staff didn't know about it so this really was a bolt from the blue. Moss would have to said something to management after the game that prompted this or it'd make no sense whatsoever. If he clears waivers the Vikigns will have to pay the remainder if his current contract and he'll be able to make more money off a new one with a new team.

Could it be that he really does want back on the Patriots train, given his address last night? Stranger things have happened and Randy Moss is the sort of guy who has the ego (or 'balls' if you're a Moss superfan) to do something like this.

First rumours are Miami and Seattle are interested.

I dont see Randy's eyes lightening up at those prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Let the Bears pick him up for the last 8 games, he'll get to play Minny twice and the Pats another time...for the craic like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,769 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Be interesting to see if anyone actually claims him in the next 24 hours. I can see him becoming a free agent and no one claiming within the 24 hour deadline for waivers.

I personally don't want him back as a Pats fan. Dude has issues it seems.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Just think about it, Brady has learned to spread the ball the last two weeks. You bring him back in and Welker gets his space again anytime Moss is on the field. He says he loves the team, its quite clear now that he never looked to be traded in the first place. When he said its just business at the time of the trade its clear that the BB and the Front Office decided to cash in and get what they could for him knowing that all they would get if they held on to him to the end of the season was a 2012 5th round pick.

At this stage the Patriots have successfully turned a 4th rounder into a 3rd rounder and added a player(Branch).

Its all about space on the roster, if there is room I say get it done. Right now if you look at the Patriots wide receiver group we are just one injury away from being in serious trouble.
    If Welker or Branch went down there is nobody you would trust to come in. Edelman hasn't been seen since the Bills game and he has had very limited production in the couple of games we seen him in. Taylor Price hasn't look anywhere close to ready when we seen him in preseason and has been a gameday inactive every week. And Matthew Slater is the other wide receiver listed. Slater is going nowhere, he is a special teams ace but we don't ever want to see him on the field for an offensive snap.
    If Moss gets through the waiver wire, which I severely doubt he will, then he could renegotiate his contract because its clear he wants to be here and I'm sure he would do it.
    People saying he has issues, well maybe he has but there has never been anything but positive vibes about him from the Patriots camp. Every player said how great he was as a leader and player. Belichick often told people that he is the most intelligent receiver he has every worked with. In fact Belichick got angry with reporters at a press conference suggesting there were problems with Moss in the locker room after the trade. If we get him back for free on a reduced contract its a win win imo.

If Moss clears waivers, Pats would be able to get him on a Vet minimum since the Vikings will still be paying his $3.5m salary

Waive Claim Order:

Buffalo Bills - no point paying Moss $3.5m if they are not going to make the playoffs and they dont stand a chance of a long term contract.

Dallas Cowboys - No playoffs, no point

Carolina Panthers - No playoffs, no point

San Francisco 49ers - No playoffs, no point

Denver Broncos - No playoffs, no point

Minnesota Vikings

Detroit Lions - Highly doubt it

Cleveland Browns - Mangini is a bit of an idiot so you never know

Cincinnati Bengals - TO, Ocho and Moss...my god what a headache

San Diego Chargers - Possible, Turner is on the Hot Seat, even with Jackson coming back

Arizona Cardinals - Doubt it

Washington Redskins - Possible, decent QB and the badly need a WR

St. Louis Rams - Doubt it with a rookie QB

Oakland Raiders - Doubt it

Jacksonville Jaguars - Doubt it

Seattle Seahawks - Possible, Carroll is probably arrogent enough to believe he can control Moss

Philadelphia Eagles - Very possible, probably a good fit for Moss

Miami Dolphins - Possible

Chicago Bears - Possible, Martz is probably arrogent enough to believe he can control Moss

Tennessee Titans - Possible

New Orleans Saints - Doubt it, Sean Payton would want Moss in his locker room

Green Bay Packers - Possible

Indianapolis Colts - I doubt the Colts would want him in their locker room, but they are WR needy

Houston Texans - Possible

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Doubt it

Pittsburgh Steelers - Doubt it, he's the last thing the Steelers want, they have/had enough PR problems

New York Jets - Possibly to spite the Pats, but they dont need a WR and they have enough trouble getting it to WRs who have been there since training camp. Sanchez to befriend and control Moss, i doubt it

New York Giants - Possible

Kansas City Chiefs - Doubt it, smart mgt who wont take the risk

Baltimore Ravens - Doubt it, they dont need a WR

Atlanta Falcons - Doubt it, smart mgt who wont take the risk

New England Patriots - Wouldnt claim on waiver but sign him on a vet min the next day

Everybody on the list knows Moss wants to be a Patriot, they will be taking a risk signing him.

Of all the possibles, i could only see Moss being "content" in San Diego, Philly, Washington, Green Bay, Houston & NY

The more i look at it, somebody is going to take a chance.

• Advertisement

The 49ers are two games off joint top in their division with St. Louis up next, I wouldn't rule them out of the race for Moss or indeed the play-offs just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Syferus wrote: »
    The 49ers are two games off joint top in their division with St. Louis up next, I wouldn't rule thme out of the race for Moss or indeed the play-offs just yet.

Can't really see Moss going somewhere without a quality QB to back him up. Don't think he's looking to help out any rookies or underperforming QBs at this stage, he wants a Super Bowl ring and his best chance of getting that is with a competent, winning QB.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Can't really see Moss going somewhere without a quality QB to back him up. Don't think he's looking to help out any rookies or underperforming QBs at this stage, he wants a Super Bowl ring and his best chance of getting that is with a competent, winning QB.

I'd agree it's not a great fit for Moss, but who knows what'll happen if a team tries to snag him? Moss has been unpredictable at the best of times.

The Redskins on paper would seem a decent fit, but so did the Vikings!

Moss doesn't have a choice where he goes unless he clears waivers. Personally I can't see him getting past the Rams if he drops that far, they really have problems at WR.

Latest rumour...although Childress has said Moss has been waived, it hasnt been filed with the NFL...looks like ownersip could waive Childress before he waives Moss.

Endless entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

eagle eye wrote: »
    Moss doesn't have a choice where he goes unless he clears waivers. Personally I can't see him getting past the Rams if he drops that far, they really have problems at WR.

Teams will have a good idea if Moss wants to be there or not, so I can't see - for example - the Bills putting in a claim and getting a disgruntled WR for a year who will do more harm than good.

If he does go in waivers, I'd bet he ends up either in Washington or Kansas.

Teams will have a good idea if Moss wants to be there or not, so I can't see - for example - the Bills putting in a claim and getting a disgruntled WR for a year who will do more harm than good.

If he does go in waivers, I'd bet he ends up either in Washington or Kansas.

Well the Redskins are up before the Rams going by Hazy's list and its a real possibility too. I just can't see him getting past those two teams tbh.

After that the team that really stands out to me is the Titans. He would be perfect for them going on a bye week giving him time to settle in and get familiar with the playbook. With Kenny Britt's injury looking like keeping him out for a couple of weeks at least if not the entire season they would definitely pick him up I think. I doubt he gets to them though.

Jason LaCanfora backs up what Hazy is saying:

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora
    Sorry, want to make this totally clear. Moss was NOT on Monday waiver wire. NOT. NOT. Sorry (my kids are driving me nuts right now). 6 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
    Gonna state the obvious here, but this looks awful for the Vikings, and Chilly in particular. What a mess. 8 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Minnesota just waived the Vikings and they've been picked up off the wire by Los Angeles.

Advertisement