Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking at Bus Stops should be banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

and all the while this o.p will be standing at the bus stop inhailing toxic exhaust fumes. people like this will try to ban vehicles driving past them next. idiot people like this are taking the rights of people away.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Einhard wrote: »
    Burn the witch!!
    +1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Einhard wrote: »
    Burn the witch!!

At last a sensible suggestion.

/runs & grabs pitchfork.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Aldebaran wrote: »
    It would be the decent thing to do.

But then I've lost my spot in the queue. Fat chance I'd leave just for a smoke because one freedom fighter thinks it's the courteous thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I don't agree with the OP's sentiments (I am a non-smoker) but the one thing I do hate about smokers at bus stops is the discarding of their cigarette butts on the ground. (I know it happens in plenty of other scenerios/areas as well) but it really pisses me off. Of course, that is already banned I guess in the form of littering law. But it is so widespread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

It's your problem, you can move.

No, I'm pretty sure it's your problem. Nicotine addiction, see?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I agree that smokers can be irritating when you're forced to be close to them, but you'll come across much worse on buses :pac:

I have to say that the angry mob mentality against the OP reminds me of this... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

TheZohan wrote: »
    I find the smell of cheap perfume or people farting way more offensive, can we ban that too?

+ a big number.

I fucking hate women wearing too much perfume - just even walking past them and I'm brought back to what it was like attending Mass on a Sunday and having to sit in church breathing in that toxic crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I smoke, but only time I would do it under shelter is if no one is there. Common courtesy to move away a bit if people come.

The OP is right in saying that it is really annoying, especially if it is raining, the smell is even worse, hence I do not smoke in the rain!

I would not ban it, but if people actually think it is a decent thing to smoke under shelter with others around you, then you are a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

zenno wrote: »
    and all the while this o.p will be standing at the bus stop inhailing toxic exhaust fumes. people like this will try to ban vehicles driving past them next. idiot people like this are taking the rights of people away.

It's not a right to pollute other people's lungs with cancer.
    The only reason it's not banned is because of the high taxes the gov can get and the possibility of crime if it is banned.
    And in case you hadn't noticed, the world is trying to get rid of toxic exhaust fumes. I can't wait for Hydrogen to become more in use :D

• Advertisement

Bucklesman wrote: »
    No, I'm pretty sure it's your problem. Nicotine addiction, see?

I don't smoke, so, I don't have a problem. See?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

No buddy, take your death sticks and stand downwind of me. It's your addiction, you can move.

No buddy, it's a free society so you can move.
    What if there's a queue for the bus? Should I have to leave the queue just because you want to smoke?

Yes. See aboove. Move out of the queue and then you can enjoy the pristine air of Dublin city, free from all pollutants save those pumped out by selfish smokers who, we all know, club baby seals to death in their spare time, and don't believe in global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I don't smoke, so, I don't have a problem. See?

You'll never catch me see, coppers don't scare me seee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

OutlawPete wrote: »
    ...I fucking hate women wearing too much perfume - just even walking past them and I'm brought back to what it was like attending Mass on a Sunday and having to sit in church breathing in that toxic crap.

There is nothing worse than an old biddie with half her teeth missing, looking like a walking rubbish tip, that has been battered sixteen times over by an ugly stick, reeking of too strong a stench of some cheap perfume rubbish.

....but I won't go on any more about my mother-in-law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

It would be the decent thing to do.

the decent thing would be for YOU to move as it is bothering YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I smoke, but only time I would do it under shelter is if no one is there. Common courtesy to move away a bit if people come.

Exactly, it should just be common courtesy, a ban would be ridiculous. And btw, you're my favourite type of smoker! Haha. I have no issue with people smoking, so long as the smell doesn't get into my clothes and the smoke isn't going right into my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

They should just ban smoking altogether. I hate being at the bus stop, looking all nice to go out, and then some idiot comes along and smokes next to and then you smell like smoke :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

To be honest OP I get the bus every day and I'm a non smoker and this generally has never been an issue for me. Obviously if someone is blowing smoke in my face I'll say something but generally the smoke blows away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Ya know what I hate? People who decide to eat cheese and onion taytos at a bus stop, when there are loads of other people standing around waiting for their bus.
    We all have to stand there and inhale the horrible smell, you can't get away from it either because you don't want to walk too far away from the bus stop, plus there's often wind pushing the cheesy wafts in your face. It's even worse when it's raining and people are squashed under a tiny bus shelter. Seems to happen every time I get a bus.

I just think it's so rude and ignorant.
    Anyone else agree?

See, I hate the smell of cheese and onion tayto's.
    They make me feel sick.
    Everyone has something that annoys them.
    Do you want to ban people from wearing earphones, as I know someone that can't stand the noise of other people wearing earphones.
    Or I crack my knuckles a fair bit and some people hate that, should I be banned?
    Or young girls squealling about everything.
    So annoying.
    What about banning people talking on mobiles cause that can be so bad to have to put up with.
    Farting also should be banned.
    Or people who wear too much perfume/cologne.

In fact, anything that displays any form of individuality should be discouraged till we're all living in George Orwells worst nightmare, trooping around like the children Springfield elimentary when school uniforms were brought in!!!

If something that somebody else does annoys you, then you should be the one to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

OutlawPete wrote: »
    + a big number.

I fucking hate women wearing too much perfume - just even walking past them and I'm brought back to what it was like attending Mass on a Sunday and having to sit in church breathing in that toxic crap.

lol! :D

In fairness I agree with OP. I think if you're in public and smoking you should move away when you light up. I don't smoke any more but when I did, I would have just felt really uncomfortable smoking at a bus stop. The only thing was, whenever I lit up, a bus would invariably come!!! I miss that now!! :D

In Japan its illegal to smoke outside in public but you can smoke in restaurants. I was there during the summer and it just felt really wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The only reason it's not banned is because of the high taxes the gov can get and the possibility of crime if it is banned.
    And in case you hadn't noticed, the world is trying to get rid of toxic exhaust fumes. I can't wait for Hydrogen to become more in use :D

like i said move away if you don't like it and stop whinging. if someone like you opened their mouth to me at a bus stop complaining that i move out of the shelter into the rain you would have a serious problem on your hands. sticking your nose into other peoples business can be dangerous.

...Besides everyone knows that when someone sparks up a smoke the bus arrives. It's Murphys Law.

You fúckers should be thanking smokers!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

If something that somebody else does annoys you, then you should be the one to avoid it.

Or assholes could just stop being assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You do realise that cancer isn't actually contained in the cigarettes?

Ya know what I hate? People who decide to eat cheese and onion taytos at a bus stop, when there are loads of other people standing around waiting for their bus.
    We all have to stand there and inhale the horrible smell, you can't get away from it either because you don't want to walk too far away from the bus stop, plus there's often wind pushing the cheesy wafts in your face. It's even worse when it's raining and people are squashed under a tiny bus shelter. Seems to happen every time I get a bus.

I just think it's so rude and ignorant.
    Anyone else agree?

See, I hate the smell of cheese and onion tayto's.
    They make me feel sick.
    Everyone has something that annoys them.
    Do you want to ban people from wearing earphones, as I know someone that can't stand the noise of other people wearing earphones.
    Or I crack my knuckles a fair bit and some people hate that, should I be banned?
    Or young girls squealling about everything.
    So annoying.
    What about banning people talking on mobiles cause that can be so bad to have to put up with.
    Farting also should be banned.
    Or people who wear too much perfume/cologne.

In fact, anything that displays any form of individuality should be discouraged till we're all living in George Orwells worst nightmare, trooping around like the children Springfield elimentary when school uniforms were brought in!!!

Tayto won't give you cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Or assholes could just stop being assholes.

So nobody should ever be allowed to do anything as it may annoy somebody else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Tayto won't give you cancer

how do you know?

zenno wrote: »
    like i said move away if you don't like it and stop whinging. if someone like you opened their mouth to me at a bus stop complaining that i move out of the shelter into the rain you would have a serious problem on your hands. sticking your nose into other peoples business can be dangerous.

How is it your business if you do it in a public place where it affects other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Exactly, it should just be common courtesy, a ban would be ridiculous. And btw, you're my favourite type of smoker! Haha. I have no issue with people smoking, so long as the smell doesn't get into my clothes and the smoke isn't going right into my face.

:o I am? Yay! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

They should just ban smoking altogether. I hate being at the bus stop, looking all nice to go out, and then some idiot comes along and smokes next to and then you smell like smoke :mad:

I hate when drunken idiots ruin my night out by falling around the place. I hate when i have to side step vomit on the pavement on a Sunday morning. I hate when my wing mirrors are kicked in by said idiots. I hate that a huge proportion of road deaths are caused by drink. We should ban alcohol altogether!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement