Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking at Bus Stops should be banned

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Fine, lets ban smoking at bus stops.
    But can we ban applying-make-up-in-the-bus first?

From the smoke outside at the bus stop you can walk away. It is pretty much impossible to walk away from the make-up addicts in the bus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

inforfun wrote: »
    Fine, lets ban smoking at bus stops.
    But can we ban applying-make-up-in-the-bus first?

From the smoke outside at the bus stop you can walk away. It is pretty much impossible to walk away from the make-up addicts in the bus.

Has the point of this thread escaped you that much?? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

* shakes head in pity*
    Look, non-smokers have conquered the pubs. Look at them. They've become shíte. Now you want to sterilise the outdoors? Stay in your anaesthetised, syrupy, joyless, fart smelling emporiums that you've created for yourselves and leave outside to us.
    I have to say I agree with a fair bit of that. Not that primary smoking isn't bad for you. That's not in doubt, though like any substance the notion of dosage seems to be left out of the equation with all the hype. Someone who has two ciggies on a saturday night and that's their lot is not the same as a 40 a dayer as far as risk goes. Getting a whiff of ciggie smoke in passing will not give you lung cancer or much of anything else. If it does then you're the "weak" one and would be better off in a bubble. Of course manners comes into this. Don't be the muppet who blows smoke in peoples faces. That's out of order, but ffs a bit of common sense should apply across the board.

With some it's bugger all to do with the smoke itself, more a Pavlov's dog reaction to the thought of it. I've seen more than a few examples of that. One bloke who claimed his asthma was triggered by it* actually had a full on (self induced)attack when he saw someone light up in the room he was in. Bit of a problem though as it was one of those electric ciggies that only puffs out water vapour. When he was informed of this, his "asthma" magically eased up. Drama queen:rolleyes: A few weeks after that I was a BBQ and another one like that was waxing lyrical about how smoke makes her lungs close up dangerously(dramatic emphasis hers). So me being a c u next tuesday, pretended to light up, outdoors and in an existing miasma of BBQ petrol and burning meat fumes. Once again she started hyperventilating like the previous eejit and ran away to actually vomit. Another woman I know is a major drama queen on this score and again without logic. In her mind ciggies make her want to vomit, yet thinks the smell of pipe tobacco is "lovely" and has no effect on her. Brilliant. Twice the actual smoke, nicotine and tar and yet her stomach remains unmolested by nausea. Does not compute. I read on here a few months back where a few were whining about being in their cars and someone in a car in front of them was smoking with their window down and they got in a tizzy because they said they could feel the secondhand smoke coming in their vents. Sweet zombie Jesus, people like the above really need to get out more and yes I do think them weak minded.

*of course asthma can be triggered by smoke or any number of things, but I always wonder why have we far far more asthmatics today when less smoke and smoking is banned pretty much everywhere? Where were all the asthmatics when you could smoke in pubs, restaurants, cinemas, buses, even in hospital waiting rooms? :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Do all the 'antis' in this thread really get the bus??
    If they're so fond of the healthy living buy a bike!!:)
    (With apologies to those with genuine health isuues..)

Seriously though, I'm a smoker - and a fairly heavy one at that. However, in the company of non-smokers I will excuse myself or try to stay out of their way, and I won't smoke in a non-smokers house. I hate dirty ashtrays too!!
    Banning smoking at bus-stops is a non-starter IMO. That would effectively make Westmoreland St and a few more streets effectively non smoking areas!!!

I don't like Bankers, Politicians or Developers.... I'm off now to start a thread on banning them. See you all there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

gurramok wrote: »
    Why should an innocent child waiting for the bus have to move away because a selfish smoker is trying to kill them with poisonous fumes?

They are very few and far between if you listen to a lot of the posts on AH.

Most children are not innocent - they range between scummer newborns wailing on buses just to annoy other passengers and the little, five year old feckers giving you the finger and shouting abuse at you because you don't have sweets for them on Halloween. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

xzanti wrote: »
    Has the point of this thread escaped you that much?? :confused:

Well i suppose i should have read all 20-something pages before commenting.
    But i stopped after the fist 10 and posted.

What did i miss in the pages i didnt read that made my post pointless?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

inforfun wrote: »
    Well i suppose i should have read all 20-something pages before commenting.
    But i stopped after the fist 10 and posted.

What did i miss in the pages i didnt read that made my post pointless?

The OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

I smoke at bus stops and don't give a rats ass what anybody thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

We seem to have exhausted this topic. PM me if you want to add something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement