Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking at Bus Stops should be banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Hey if you don't like people smoking at bus stops you can always walk , buy a car , buy a bike , etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Agree with the OP. People smoking in bus shelters bugs me but you'll need some legislation to ban that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Agree with the OP. People smoking in bus shelters bugs me but you'll need some legislation to ban that.

such legislation would be unenforcable, how do you define the areas of a bus shelter when it only has one wall
    Like it or not a 'shelter' is outdoors, unless you ban smoking outdoors it wont happen
    Tbh, there's worse things than a slight smell of smoke, which is all it is, theirs no damage at such low levels. But I get that its irritating, when it comes to manners thats been covered well within this thread already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cmdr Keen wrote: »
    Why should we make do without a smoke? You stand in the rain if you don't like it tbh
    Because if a person is standing close to you under a bus shelter and they light up a cigarette, you're inhaling the smoke - obviously.
    smokie2008 wrote: »
    Know what I hate....when your standing at a bus shelter minding your own business and a car drives by releasing harmful CO2 into my face, Vehicles should be banned from passing people on the pavement :rolleyes:.........COP ON!!!!!
    Hardly comparable. What functional purpose like driving does smoking serve? I'm not holier than thou towards smokers btw - just don't see how there's any justification towards smoking in close proximity to someone under a bus shelter. A bus stop that has no shelter, smoke away - it's an open space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Dudess wrote: »
    Because if a person is standing close to you under a bus shelter and they light up a cigarette, you're inhaling the smoke - obviously.

Hardly comparable. What functional purpose like driving does smoking serve? I'm not holier than thou towards smokers btw - just don't see how there's any justification towards smoking in close proximity to someone under a bus shelter. A bus stop that has no shelter, smoke away - it's an open space.

I agree with ya. But its going to come down to manners at the end of the day.
    If one is an arsehole. They will smoke away not giving a feck about anyone.

If they where brought up, and not thrown up, they will see that it maybe upsetting someone and refrane from smoking or move downwind.
    Normal people and cu*ts. Two types of peeps

I smoked for years and gave them up. I recommend it .
    When I did smoke I would go out of my way to make sure the smoke was not going into someones face. Its rude and inconsiderate to say the least.

Even if the guy/gal beside the smoker smokes him/her self.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

When I was giving up cigarettes, one of the hardest things was standing at bus stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

at the end of the day alot of people enjoy tabacco and get great satisfaction from it. tabacco has been smoked for thousands of years. I think you anti-smokers should spend more time enlightning your lives than constantly bickering about trivial things like this. i.e grow up and expand your intelligence.

a human being is well capable of knowing the risks involved in intaking a substance of any kind but unfortunately we intake most bad chemicals every day without even questioning it. so called air-freshners/hairspray/perfume chemicals-deoderant/domestos/you name it it's all going into you on a daily basis wherever household or premises you go.

at least you do have decent people that will at least have the decency to move a bit away from another person as they do know that that person might not like smoke around them. this whole topic is shameful as the only thing it is doing is distancing people from people in a childish way.

respect costs nothing. and I and the smokers here know this and as such they do give space. so all you crybabies and uneducated non thinking anti-smokers should expand your thinking above the trivial and start dealing with the real issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭google faps

zenno wrote: »
    at the end of the day alot of people enjoy tabacco and get great satisfaction from it. tabacco has been smoked for thousands of years. I think you anti-smokers should spend more time enlightning your lives than constantly bickering about trivial things like this. i.e grow up and expand your intelligence.

a human being is well capable of knowing the risks involved in intaking a substance of any kind but unfortunately we intake most bad chemicals every day without even questioning it. so called air-freshners/hairspray/perfume chemicals-deoderant/domestos/you name it it's all going into you on a daily basis wherever household or premises you go.

at least you do have decent people that will at least have the decency to move a bit away from another person as they do know that that person might not like smoke around them. this whole topic is shameful as the only thing it is doing is distancing people from people in a childish way.

respect costs nothing. and I and the smokers here know this and as such they do give space. so all you crybabies and uneducated non thinking anti-smokers should expand your thinking above the trivial and start dealing with the real issues.
    Couldn't agree more with this post. Especially the bit about interning all non-smokers to the gretaer blasket island and burning them to the ground.

its as simple as this. If some gob****e is making ya gag and near puke in the morn with their putrid crap smelling smoke breath. (Yes, you smell of the brown). Ask them to stop.

If they dont. Remove the fag and flick it across the road.

Job done.

They will huff and puff about it. Maybe cough. But most are very unhealthy and harmless.
    Like sick Turtles who cant move very fast:D

gsxr1 wrote: »
    its as simple as this. If some gob****e is making ya gag and near puke in the morn with their putrid crap smelling smoke breath. (Yes, you smell of the brown). Ask them to stop.

Job done.

They will huff and puff about it. Maybe cough. But most are very unhealthy and harmless.

^^^ the height of ignorance. nonsensical comment.

this is for the nazi-anti-smoking campaign...relax and enlighten yourselves

• Advertisement

Wtf are you on about?! Some people would prefer if smokers did not spark up near them, no need for your insults. And lol at trying to compare smoking to inhaling air fresheners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

You should buy your own smokes and stop second hand smoking ya cheap feckers.

Wtf are you on about?! Some people would prefer if smokers did not spark up near them, no need for your insults. And lol at trying to compare smoking to inhaling air fresheners.

insults? WTF are you talking about. you are living in a make believe world. I have already explained myself in plain English all you parasites need to do is move away as well and then we will all be a mile away from eachother which would be a good thing instead of having to put up with comments like this. just wondering are you a member of the Green party by any chance ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭google faps

* shakes head in pity*
    Look, non-smokers have conquered the pubs. Look at them. They've become shíte. Now you want to sterilise the outdoors? Stay in your anaesthetised, syrupy, joyless, fart smelling emporiums that you've created for yourselves and leave outside to us.

well enjoy you're rants dude?ess at you're nearest bus stop because I seriously could not give a toss about you're primitive assumptions on smokers. as far as i'm concerned people have the right to choose and I think this is the part that you are unable to ingest. charlietango35 over and out

Nowhere did I say any of the sh1t you're accusing me of, and you can't even see where you're insulting people, so I guess you're maybe as dumb as your posts?

well enjoy you're rants dude?ess at you're nearest bus stop because I seriously could not give a toss about you're primitive assumptions on smokers. as far as i'm concerned people have the right to choose and I think this is the part that you are unable to ingest. charlietango35 over and out

did you learn how to write in colour today? Its savage cool. Just like smoking:pac::pac::pac:

hows that lung of yours anyways
    image2.jpg
    still givin ya a bit if jip.;)

Nowhere did I say any of the sh1t you're accusing me of, and you can't even see where you're insulting people, so I guess you're maybe as dumb as your posts?

dude?ess have a break have a kitkat or something goodby.. I don't mind you insulting me it means nothing
    so I guess you're maybe as dumb as your posts?

for the other commenter about the colour? first thing is my lungs are perfectly fine as i do 4 days a week in karate but i still love a smoke but thats just me. whats wrong with adding in a bit of colour are you racist. enjoy your boring life complaining about wasteful things. theres always a few spacers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

This thread is hilarious. Just shows how ignorant the majority of this country are. If you complain against anything your labelled a Joe Duffy caller or a Nazi. Smoking provides no benefit to anyone. In this day and age everyone knows it is bad for you, so anyone that smokes shows they are weak willed and/or could care less about themselves or anybody. I couldn't care less about people doing crack or drinking bleach, everyone to their own, but when it starts interfering with other people it has to be questioned. The example of neighbours playing loud music was used earlier in the thread, was a good one.
    And because everyone knows "smokers are jokers", any arguements they use are invalid. :pac:

• Advertisement

FrostyJack wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious. Just shows how ignorant the majority of this country are. If you complain against anything your labelled a Joe Duffy caller or a Nazi. Smoking provides no benefit to anyone. In this day and age everyone knows it is bad for you, so anyone that smokes shows they are weak willed and/or could care less about themselves or anybody. I couldn't care less about people doing crack or drinking bleach, everyone to their own, but when it starts interfering with other people it has to be questioned. The example of neighbours playing loud music was used earlier in the thread, was a good one.
    And because everyone knows "smokers are jokers", any arguements they use are invalid. :pac:

thats a terrible attitude to have against your fellow human being. FFS surely you have read a few comments from each individual on this topic ?

you are getting overheated, calling people that smoke weak-willed is not the case I myself like a smoke for relaxation purposes but i don't see myself as weak-willed. most smokers look after themselves very well but they just happen to like smoking. like i said before...people on this planet have smoked tabacco sinse the dawn of time and enjoyed it and we still do to this day. who are you or anybody else to change the course of history and in the process exsanguinate peoples rights to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

It's not that I hate the smell, it's the fact that it's dangerous to my health. You smokers don't seem to grasp that you're endangering other people's health by smoking around them.

Heres a quick solution if you have such a problem wit smokers at bus stops move to scotland where u can live your fantasy of no smokers at bus stops.like seriously ive seen many people who dont smoke at the bus station and they will still stand beside me!!if they want to move they are free to do so but they can fuk off if they think that I will move for them just cos they don't smoke.anyways once I blow the smoke out it basically goes away with the wind so I dont see how it would affect anyone?i think your getting too high on bus exhaust fumes tbh!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

you are getting overheated, calling people that smoke weak-willed is not the case I myself like a smoke for relaxation purposes

If you need a cigarette to relax you may have other problems, I can understand how people needing one feel relaxed after having a smoke but most non smokers feel that normally because they don't require them in the 1st place.
    most smokers look after themselves very well

A contradiction in terms? Most self harmers look after themselves well I'm sure until.........
    people on this planet have smoked tabacco sinse the dawn of time

What relevance has that with anything. People killed each other since the dawn of time, people believed the Earth is flat, the Sun is a god etc, are these positive things?
    who are you or anybody else to change the course of history and in the process exsanguinate peoples rights to choose.

Where do I say anything about the right to choose? Course of history? What are you on about mate?

did you learn how to write in colour today? Its savage cool. Just like smoking:pac::pac::pac:

hows that lung of yours anyways
    image2.jpg
    still givin ya a bit if jip.;)

Hows your heart from the crap thats added to food?also hows yer liver from tasty poison called alcohol?

Job done.

Erm the worst ting at 7 in the morning is the smell of rotten perfume this made me so sick and the sight of people scoffing there faces is a big turn off when your only out of bed but still I dont bitch and moan about it I deal with it and get on with my life .all people seem to do nowadays is moan about things like seriously find something else to do wit yer lives :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

ScumLord wrote: »
    Lol, this is why I smoke, I'm not addicted to them at all. What I am addicted to is seeing the self righteous non smokers get their knickers all twisted up around their eyeballs in a rage over something that has little or no effect on their lives if they don't decide to let it.

You're not addicted yet you're forking out your hard earned cash on them, fcuking up your lungs, ageing yourself prematurely and going around stinking like an ashtray.. just to get a reaction out of people you don't even know?

That's your call dude :)

With regards to the 'self righteous' comment.. I don't see what's self righteous about feeling uncomfortable around people smoking in your face.. I can't help the fact that smoking stinks and the smell turns my stomach.. However, when was the last time someone actually confronted you about it? In fact you probably wouldn't even be aware of peoples gripes if it weren't for these types of threads on Boards..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I have a medical condition.

smoking sets off my stomach and i start to feel really sick and feel really dizzy

sitting at the bus stop coming home from work the other day and 4 people in the bus shelter including myself. A woman sitting next to me decides to light up, I start to feel sick and got up and walked out behind the bus stop to avoid the smoke.

Yes it was pissing rain but i had to get away from it cos i felt soo sick.

I seriously fucking hate people smoking right into my face !

and amazingly i can walk with people beside me smoking and they blow away from me just to be nice (some people who i walk with don't know about my medical condition but they still don't blow in my face cos their just nice)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

jay93 wrote: »
    Hows your heart from the crap thats added to food?also hows yer liver from tasty poison called alcohol?

More than likely a lot better than your lungs, if you smoke regularly.

For the record, I couldn't give a toss if people smoke in public as long as they don't blow it directly into my face. The issue some people have at bus stops is this does occasionally happen, and its extremely unpleasant if you're not used to it.

Banning it would be ridiculous. Most smokers realise that its rude to smoke right beside someone. Unfortunately, there are inconsiderates in every walk of life. Smoking's no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

I have to take the bus a lot.. Can't afford a car you see..
    I'm an asthmatic.
    Someone smoking at the bus stop and letting the smoke blow into my face is more or less the same if there was a smoker sitting at the bus stop and I were to start burning rubber and letting the smoke blow into their face..
    It's never gonna happen! But, cigarette smoke is that bad for me if you get
    what I'm saying.
    Just saying anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Firehen wrote: »
    Banning it would be ridiculous. Most smokers realise that its rude to smoke right beside someone. Unfortunately, there are inconsiderates in every walk of life. Smoking's no different.
    Exactly, I don't want to see it banned, we've had enough of our choices taken away from us in recent years.. The last thing we need is more nannying..

Manners doesn't cost anything.. a little consideration for other people goes a long way..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement