Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque time

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Rebelheart wrote: »
    "We"? Ahem. Britain's wars ====>

In 1798 "We" WERE Britain.

...well, you know what I mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

In 1798 "We" WERE OCCUPIED BY Britain.

...well, you know what I mean.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

FYP.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

And let's not forget the "privilege days" which all civil and public servants are entitled to: each year they receive two extra paid days off, at Christmas and Easter. It originates in the glory days of the British Empire when they were given these days for their loyalty. When the first four public holidays were introduced in Ireland in 1871 they kept their 'privilege days' as additional days paid leave.

Government told to scrap 'privilege days'

Civil Servants take Easter 'privilege' holiday

Union in dispute over leave days

Yet more examples of people being paid for work they don't do. How many millions would scrapping that save us?

Who cares

WE AREN'T FIGHTING NAPOLEAN ANYMORE!

We didn't have any social security, fire brigade, police, etc, etc then either!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

it was abolished in 2002 or something, no one gets it if you started since then, but the people there before that do, and it will be gone next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

And let's not forget the "privilege days" which all civil and public servants are entitled to: each year they receive two extra paid days off, at Christmas and Easter. It originates in the glory days of the British Empire when they were given these days for their loyalty. When the first four public holidays were introduced in Ireland in 1871 they kept their 'privilege days' as additional days paid leave.

Government told to scrap 'privilege days'

Civil Servants take Easter 'privilege' holiday

Union in dispute over leave days

Yet more examples of people being paid for work they don't do. How many millions would scrapping that save us?

I get them and I'll keep them as long as I can. However, not all PS workers get them. I don't know what it means but I'm an officer of the board [when the HSE was different health boards,] people in the same building as me who are not "officers of the board" do not get them.

I'll keep them as they where part of the contact I signed when I started. I'm at the stage now that if people don't like it, tough. I don't mean this as an attack on you personally, but with all this finger pointing at the public service, my attitude has over the past year has change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

bluewolf wrote: »
    Who cares
    People who think we get two more holidays than them, which to be fair we do:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

But lots of places have one or two extra 'privilige' days for their employees (especially long-serving ones) over Christmas. I've worked in at least two (private sector) jobs where this was the case. It's not exclusive to the Public/Civil Sector

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

MazG wrote: »
    But lots of places have one or two extra 'privilige' days for their employees (especially long-serving ones) over Christmas. I've worked in at least two (private sector) jobs where this was the case. It's not exclusive to the Public/Civil Sector

Builders and tradesmen have some kind of "Builder's day" too. Although nowadays everyday is a day off for those guys unfortunately!

• Advertisement
Advertisement