Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque time

Options
  • 29-10-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭

I am fuming listening to the news.
    In the 90s, public sector moved from a cash wages system to issuing cheques. They then graciously allowed staff 30 minutes off a week to lodge said cheques in their banks.
    The year is now 2010. None of them are now paid by cheque. They want to keep cheque time...
    Really?

YOU AREN'T PAID BY CHEQUE ANYMORE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Talk to Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i'm sorry but did you expect the civil service to be reasonable? to live in the real world?

thought not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Pfft whats half an hour every two weeks?

Average PS pay = €46,000 a year, or €22 per hour assuming a 40hr week, so cheque time is €11 per employee.

Paid every fortnight, thats 26 payments pear year, €286.

Paid to ~250,000 public sector workers, €71.5m per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Danbo! wrote: »

Average PS pay = €46,000 a year, or €22 per hour assuming a 40hr week, so cheque time is €11 per employee.

And this is why our country is so great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Ah, its only money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

They're probably all checking their bank accounts during working hours.
    So double whammy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nothing like a bit of outrage in AH

Be assured OP that this is already sorted and it'll be gone next week once we enter November
    THE GOVERNMENT is to end the traditional practice of giving time off to civil servants to cash their pay cheques. Also to be reviewed are the additional privilege days off provided to staff at Christmas and Easter.

The Department of Finance told union leaders yesterday the fortnightly half-hour time-off, initially given to civil servants many years ago before direct electronic lodgments became common, would be eliminated from next month.

This arrangement, known as “banking time”, was ended for new staff in 2003, but remains in place for most Civil Service personnel.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/1023/1224281826796.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

That's that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

phill106 wrote: »
    In the 90s, public sector moved from a cash wages system to issuing cheques. They then graciously allowed staff 30 minutes off a week to lodge said cheques in their banks.
    The year is now 2010. None of them are now paid by cheque. They want to keep cheque time...
    Really?

Where does it say this?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Makes sense to end this defunct practise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Stop! Cheque Time!

U Can't Touch This!"

I love 90's rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Really?

When I worked in SDCC a few years back (maybe 3 years ago) for summer, myself and all other temp staff were paid by cheque (everyone else was paid directly into their accoutn). But as we were not full timers, we had to cash our cheque on our own lunch times...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im a Civil Servant and I agree that the bank time should be scrapped. It is worth an hour to me a month (get paid fortnightly) but in this day and age it is rediculous to have it. I think the CPSU are really kicking themselves in the foot by objecting to the removal of this time. I know that lower paid Civil Servants benefit more from it (they get it every week as they get paid weekly) but there is no excuse to keep it when we are going through reform.

Really?

But most people take at least that out of their week if not more anyway for doing stuff like going to the bank etc. Unless you have to be at your phone, at a counter. I would imagine most jobs public or private office type jobs anyway over look people slying away for a bit to get stuff done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Work that out to how many extra working days off, in total for the whole CS. I tried but I'm crap at maths and it seemed to run into years. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Work that out to how many extra working days off, in total for the whole CS. I tried but I'm crap at maths and it seemed to run into years. :D

If my maths is correct, it would pay the wages of 1,554 staff at the average 46k a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Of course you are missing the point,a lot of them would be doing f**k all anyway so it doesnt count as any extra waste.

When I say "a lot " I do not mean to tar all civil servants with the Lazy shiftless useless ba**ard brush. To the hardworking,productive,helpful and honest civil servants I hope neither of you were offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I've been in the CS since 2003 and have never had "bank time",it was terminated for all new entrants quite a while back.Haven't heard anyone complaining about it being taken away tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Haven't heard anyone complaining about it being taken away tbh.

The CPSU are.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1029/pay.html

It's bizarre that they would choose to fight this. Does the Croke Park agreement mean nothing to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,726 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Chances are you have one in your family or extended family. Get on to them and give out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SeanyM

For your information, that average is based on the combination of ALL grades of PS workers. PS workers work on a flexi system. Most higher grades dont use this system, or any clocking system, due to the impracticality of it in relation to the nature of their jobs ie, most higher grades attend meetings, do a lot of offsite work, travel etc and so cannot be expected to clock in and out if they are not always in the building, so this bank time really only affects the lowly grades, which are also the lowly paid. So you can scrap your little calculation there as these higher grades make up the bulk of that figure.

That measly half hour per fortnight is one of the few privileges of being a PS worker. You can all bitch and moan about them but the reality of it is that they were the only ones who did not benefit in the slightest during the boom, yet they are the very ones digging this country out of the pitiful hole it has found itsself in.

Its very easy to get a dig at the "highly paid" PS workers, but in reality the majority of them are on a pathetic wage. If you must take out yor frustration then at least aim it at the higher graded, and higher paid of the lot.

The average PS wage is nothing to write home about, certainly not something to gloat about. There is a minority on a ridiculous wage that is giving them all a bad name.

But the truth is that if the job is so fantastically paid, and apparently has so many perks (such as the ENORMOUS 12hrs PER YEAR banking time that they get on their clock) then why did nobody want the job during the boom?? Why did everybody choose instead the shiny shiny life in the private sector? While the private sector workers sat back laughing at the public sector, buying up properties, driving flash cars, and lapping up the luxury of bonuses and company paid nights out, the PS workers simply trudged on with their mediocre pay and their fan-bloody-tastic half bloody hour per fortnight bank time.

Get a grip people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Really?

Smokers probably spend that amount of time outside smoking every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vincentdunne

Hey, Why did'nt someone tell me I could take 30 minutes off to cash a non existant cheque??? You mean I have been missing out on this for the last 36 years? Jeez, there is no justice in this world.

By the way, we are paid by the month, and don't get 30 minutes off to cash anything. You are just being a very naughty boy (and silly, also)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

SeanyM wrote: »
    For your information, that average is based on the combination of ALL grades of PS workers. PS workers work on a flexi system. Most higher grades dont use this system, or any clocking system, due to the impracticality of it in relation to the nature of their jobs ie, most higher grades attend meetings, do a lot of offsite work, travel etc and so cannot be expected to clock in and out if they are not always in the building, so this bank time really only affects the lowly grades, which are also the lowly paid. So you can scrap your little calculation there as these higher grades make up the bulk of that figure.

That measly half hour per fortnight is one of the few privileges of being a PS worker. You can all bitch and moan about them but the reality of it is that they were the only ones who did not benefit in the slightest during the boom, yet they are the very ones digging this country out of the pitiful hole it has found itsself in.

Its very easy to get a dig at the "highly paid" PS workers, but in reality the majority of them are on a pathetic wage. If you must take out yor frustration then at least aim it at the higher graded, and higher paid of the lot.

The average PS wage is nothing to write home about, certainly not something to gloat about. There is a minority on a ridiculous wage that is giving them all a bad name.

But the truth is that if the job is so fantastically paid, and apparently has so many perks (such as the ENORMOUS 12hrs PER YEAR banking time that they get on their clock) then why did nobody want the job during the boom?? Why did everybody choose instead the shiny shiny life in the private sector? While the private sector workers sat back laughing at the public sector, buying up properties, driving flash cars, and lapping up the luxury of bonuses and company paid nights out, the PS workers simply trudged on with their mediocre pay and their fan-bloody-tastic half bloody hour per fortnight bank time.

Get a grip people.

Blue - Benchmarking

Red - Define a Pathetic wage

Benchmarking - was retracted

5yrs service and still on 28k and even with 40 yrs service at the lower grade will not go past approx 33k.

during the boom i had a friend who worked for quinn direct and with bonuses was earning about 40k pa, doing the same hrs as myself, and was only in the door.

But he chose big wages over job stability, yet is now bitching about PS workers. He had many a chance, as did everyone else, to join the PS, but chose not to as it seemed a pathetic choice compared to potential earnings in the private sector back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Get a grip people.
    The boom is over. We can no longer afford your services at the levels you are charging.

We would like to keep as many of you on as we can; we recognise that you provide valuable services and we want to retain as many of these as we can, but the prices we are willing to pay for them are now changed utterly. We are currently borrowing nearly 20bn each year to keep afloat and some people want to retain an extra 1/2 hour pay per fortnight to cash a cheque they no longer get.

Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

5yrs service and still on 28k and even with 40 yrs service at the lower grade will not go past approx 33k.

during the boom i had a friend who worked for quinn direct and with bonuses was earning about 40k pa, doing the same hrs as myself, and was only in the door.

But he chose big wages over job stability, yet is now bitching about PS workers. He had many a chance, as did everyone else, to join the PS, but chose not to as it seemed a pathetic choice compared to potential earnings in the private sector back then.

Since when was benchmarking retracted? It was enacted since 2002 with pay rises based on zero reforms in return. Plus they got increments based on no performance but on years served.

28k after 5 yrs? Welcome to the private sector, at least you have a solid gold pension and an unsackable job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Get a grip people.

You get a grip. They aren't paid by cheque any more, so "cheque time" is being phased out. It's perfectly logical and reasonable.

I'm completely confused as to 1. why it still exists when cheques were phased out ages ago and 2. how people can argue for it remaining in place.

a "gold pension" that we are now paying for 100% ourselves. which basically means we put by a little each payday for 40yrs to get it paid back to us when we retire. Woo-frickin-hoo.

yes we may have gathered a pitiful extra in our paypackets with benchmarking, but it has been taken back from us penny by penny over the last couple of yrs with reductions in pay.

no job is unsackable, but the only perk of this job is "job security". You all could have taken advantage of it, but didnt, and its too late to bitch about it now.

Basically all the big boom big spenders out there are looking for a scapegoat, and childishly latched on to the medias way of thinking.

dont believe everything u read in the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I worked there. I can tell you that didnt last long

Advertisement