Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SeanyM

No thanks. I enjoy working.

OH! oh oh oh! tou-frickin-che! u cut me deep man! anyway i gotta go, id love to sit and take the piss out of you all night but theres a huge PS party goin on funded by the government, diva fever are playin and i will DIE if i miss them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

SeanyM wrote: »
    OH! oh oh oh! tou-frickin-che! u cut me deep man! anyway i gotta go, id love to sit and take the piss out of you all night but theres a huge PS party goin on funded by the government, diva fever are playin and i will DIE if i miss them!

You work for the Public Sector - you take the piss every day - whether you're posting here or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Oh ****! please dont tell my boss i enacted my "sense of humour" mode outside of work hours or i'll be sacked :(
    I AM your boss:pac:

dvpower wrote: »
    I AM your boss:pac:
    Fúck that. I take it back. I'm just an unsecured creditor:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This highlights the reason why i want the IMF to officially take hold of this rotten cesspit

• Advertisement

This story reminds me of the British rail "spanish practice" of paying staff the cost it would take them to walk to the next signal box if they had to relieve staff there.

A "perk" that started in the 19th century, when there were no cars, the unions went on strike in the 1990's to retain it! They managed to keep "firemen" in diesel trains for a good many years as well.

These silly practices uncover some of the problems in the PS. They (their unions) don't quite seem to have joined the real world. But the problem is in management; any decent management would, at the stroke of a pen, eliminate this benefit and many like it; like the privilege days that many staff get. At this stage in the game these should all be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

that's right, let's all bash each other over an apparent 12 hours per annum perk that many, if not most, don't even get whilst the real scum in the Dáil pay themselves a minimum of €61 per day just to turn up, or €2.3m in expenses when the Dáil isn't even sitting

see, I can be sensationalist too :P

Absurdum wrote: »
    that's right, let's all bash each other over an apparent 12 hours per annum perk that many, if not most, don't even get whilst the real scum in the Dáil pay themselves a minimum of €61 per day just to turn up, or €2.3m in expenses when the Dáil isn't even sitting

see, I can be sensationalist too :P
    That's right. Let's ignore all other reforms until the political system is sorted out.
    Obfuscation, thats the trick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

But the truth is that if the job is so fantastically paid, and apparently has so many perks (such as the ENORMOUS 12hrs PER YEAR banking time that they get on their clock) then why did nobody want the job during the boom??

Lots of jobs are well paid or have perks, it doesn't mean everyone wants them :rolleyes:
    Catch me being a taoiseach!

a "gold pension" that we are now paying for 100% ourselves. which basically means we put by a little each payday for 40yrs to get it paid back to us when we retire. Woo-frickin-hoo.
    Ehm... no you aren't. Not if you're in DB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

oh sorry i forgot to reply to your other question, no i honestly have not heard any objection to the retraction of bank time. it really isnt that big a deal, i think that yet again the media are putting it out there to turn the public against us yet again.

Its a big deal because it proves 2 things:

1. The unions were taking the absolute piss when they said redundancies weren't needed as sufficient savings could be made by changing work practices and being more efficient. They have now proved they didn't mean a word of this and have no intention of getting rid of waste/inefficiency in the PS.
    2. The government therefore has to step in at this stage and rip up the croke park agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Didn't read the whole thread, so hope I'm not repeating, but...

Why the hell would they pay salaries fortnightly? Its 2010. They should be paid monthly and it would cut the cost of administering and handling the payrolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Didn't read the whole thread, so hope I'm not repeating, but...

Why the hell would they pay salaries fortnightly? Its 2010. They should be paid monthly and it would cut the cost of administering and handling the payrolls.

Yep its just another special privilege the PS get at the taxpayers expense. There would be a huge saving by paying them monthly.

the_syco wrote: »
    When I worked in SDCC a few years back (maybe 3 years ago) for summer, myself and all other temp staff were paid by cheque (everyone else was paid directly into their accoutn). But as we were not full timers, we had to cash our cheque on our own lunch times...

That's weird, I definitely got my wages paid into my account back in 2004 when I was in SDCC for a summer job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

lolcountry

Dónal wrote: »
    That's weird, I definitely got my wages paid into my account back in 2004 when I was in SDCC for a summer job.

I've had my wages paid directly to the bank since 1979!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

And life is not as simple as we needed your services but now we dont. These workers have families to support, mortgages/bills to pay. Its not as simple as bye bye! God how i wish your mother/father/sister/brother/son/daughter was a PS worker who got the scak.

Attitudes might change then eh?

You don't say! Come into the real world where people are losing their jobs every fucking day and don't expect us to cry for you. A lot of people here have a mother/father/sister/brother/son/daughter who have already gotten the sack. In fact, some families have faced more than one person in the family losing their jobs and having to go down to the Social Welfare offices to be faced by people like you looking down their noses at the social welfare scroungers who are keeping them in a job. Why on earth should your sector be any different. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Check it out...

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Having worked in public and private sector, I'm not goign to get into that debate - there are pros and cons to every job - but I still don't see an answer the question as to why people should object to it being scrapped.

Same here, I think it's simply a case that because it was given, "it can't be taken away" regardless of how obsolete it has become. The fear being it becomes the "thin end of the wedge" of reducing other benefits that could be still really worth having.

I'm expecting the public sector to shrink in the future, simply because the government revenue shrinks and they are unable to afford to pay for the required services, either that or they drive wages down to match equivilant (falling) private sector wages.

It's ironic when you think about it! In the past (1970's) it used to be the public sector workers who were jealous of their private (strongly uionised) counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I'm expecting the public sector to shrink in the future, simply because the government revenue shrinks and they are unable to afford to pay for the required services, either that or they drive wages down to match equivilant (falling) private sector wages.

Both, I hope - They need to cut the numbers in some departments and they need to reduce the average wage of those who remain.

• Advertisement

Up to 5000 redundencies (or untill the redundancy fund runs out), announced today, start of the greak shakedown!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vincentdunne

Jeez, you are all going to hate then??? Find another scapegoat? Watch out if you are jewish. (yes, it's HITLER time!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

phill106 wrote: »
    I am fuming listening to the news.
    In the 90s, public sector moved from a cash wages system to issuing cheques. They then graciously allowed staff 30 minutes off a week to lodge said cheques in their banks.
    The year is now 2010. None of them are now paid by cheque. They want to keep cheque time...
    Really?

YOU AREN'T PAID BY CHEQUE ANYMORE!

I hear the private sector get paid in cash,thus avoiding any tax and they often bolster thier wages by stealing from thier employers,cooking the books and making fraudulent claims.

There have also been cozy arrangements with politicians,sub contracting and employiong illegal labour.

I've also heard of drug dealing going on in private sector places of work as well as bullying,robbery and intimidation..I'm sooo angry right now..no wonder the Celtic Tiger failed!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

(yes, it's HITLER time!)

Hammerzeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Degsy wrote: »
    I hear the private sector get paid in cash,thus avoiding any tax and they often bolster thier wages by stealing from thier employers,cooking the books and making fraudulent claims.

There have also been cozy arrangements with politicians,sub contracting and employiong illegal labour.

I've also heard of drug dealing going on in private sector places of work as well as bullying,robbery and intimidation..I'm sooo angry right now..no wonder the Celtic Tiger failed!!:mad:

Do you see the difference between the management explicitly permitting an exploitation of the system, and exploiting the system where there is a punishment if caught? Do you see that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

phill106 wrote: »
    I am fuming listening to the news.
    In the 90s, public sector moved from a cash wages system to issuing cheques. They then graciously allowed staff 30 minutes off a week to lodge said cheques in their banks.
    The year is now 2010. None of them are now paid by cheque. They want to keep cheque time...
    Really?

YOU AREN'T PAID BY CHEQUE ANYMORE!

In 1798 income tax was introduced to raise funds to defeat Napolean. Napolean was eventually defeated.
    The year is now 2010. They want to keep charging us income tax.
    Really?

WE AREN'T FIGHTING NAPOLEAN ANYMORE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

And let's not forget the "privilege days" which all civil and public servants are entitled to: each year they receive two extra paid days off, at Christmas and Easter. It originates in the glory days of the British Empire when they were given these days for their loyalty. When the first four public holidays were introduced in Ireland in 1871 they kept their 'privilege days' as additional days paid leave.

Government told to scrap 'privilege days'

Civil Servants take Easter 'privilege' holiday

Union in dispute over leave days

Yet more examples of people being paid for work they don't do. How many millions would scrapping that save us?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

In 1798 income tax was introduced to raise funds to defeat Napolean. Napolean was eventually defeated.
    The year is now 2010. They want to keep charging us income tax.
    Really?

WE AREN'T FIGHTING NAPOLEAN ANYMORE!

"We"? Ahem. Britain's wars ====>

Rebelheart wrote: »
    And let's not forget the "privilege days" which all civil and public servants are entitled to: each year they receive two extra paid days off, at Christmas and Easter. It originates in the glory days of the British Empire when they were given these days for their loyalty. When the first four public holidays were introduced in Ireland in 1871 they kept their 'privilege days' as additional days paid leave.

Government told to scrap 'privilege days'

Civil Servants take Easter 'privilege' holiday

Union in dispute over leave days

Yet more examples of people being paid for work they don't do. How many millions would scrapping that save us?

I went to get a bag of chips recently at 4.30pm only to be told the chipper didnt open til 5 pm!!!

5pm!! I had a whole day's work done by 4 and thse lazy bastards are only getting up out of bed!!

This is an absolute disgrace..how can the private sector be so complacement about its opneing times when there's people who want to spend money??

• Advertisement

Both, I hope - They need to cut the numbers in some departments and they need to reduce the average wage of those who remain.

Why..to keep spending 670 million a year on this?

Advertisement