Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokémon BW Players Thread SPOILERS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Banjo wrote: »
    Well, if it's only NPC items you can't steal, you can still nick stuff off the wild Pokemon, right?

Right?
    I've managed to nick a few Black Sludges off the large bin bag Pokémon, so yes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've managed to nick a few Black Sludges off the large bin bag Pokémon, so yes
    Phew, I was seriously worried you couldn't steal wild Poke-items there.

Can 100% confirm that random shinys are in BW, found this a whole 5 minutes ago:
    510_s.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The first boards.ie shiny in B&W! Hurray!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

And I still have yet to find a single shiny in HG.. :(

• Advertisement

Denny M wrote: »
    And I still have yet to find a single shiny in HG.. :(
    Same in HG, no shiny for me other than the Gyarados.

Who's that Pokemon?
    black-white-starter-names-coming.jpg

Gaah double post, but I didn't want to put this in the plush thread as it's obvious spoiler image. Oh well, plush final evos!

p101112_01_pic01.jpgSource in Japanese

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So how's everyone getting in in B&W?

I'm currently at victory road after getting the 8th badge. Might change my team up a bit as it's very ground type orientated. Any good recommendations for the elite 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just finished victory road this afternoon. Bring your Strength HM'er along. Not 100% necessary, but makes any future exploring quicker. Surf comes in handy too but again, not required to get to the top.

Also, if you hunt around the Emo-Dragon that you might have seen in the last Gym is knocking around. They're buggers to find (only seen one so far) but they're there. No idea if they're any good mind...

Not sure what to bring along either, my team is heavy on the Darks which can't be good. Not that I'm racist. Quite fond of my red-headed craggy dragon that I found just before the 8th gym and who tore that gym leader a new one.

Just finished victory road this afternoon. Bring your Strength HM'er along. Not 100% necessary, but makes any future exploring quicker. Surf comes in handy too but again, not required to get to the top.

Also, if you hunt around the Emo-Dragon that you might have seen in the last Gym is knocking around. They're buggers to find (only seen one so far) but they're there. No idea if they're any good mind...

Not sure what to bring along either, my team is heavy on the Darks which can't be good. Not that I'm racist. Quite fond of my red-headed craggy dragon that I found just before the 8th gym and who tore that gym leader a new one.

Yeah I have surf and strength on 2 of my Pokémon on my team anyway so I should be fine. I'll have a look around for him but I also caught one of those dragons before the last gym so I'm happy enough with him for a dragon type! I was going to use him last in the last gym with his dragon claw to just so I could chip away with the others then bring him out to destroy. Turned out I didn't need him as the gym was very easy!

Anyone else think the wild pokémon encounter rate is very high though? Can be quite annoying if you forgot to stock up on max repels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Well I finished the Elite 4 on stream a few days ago, and by god, there's enough twists and turns and deviances from the norm you wouldn't know!

The main thing about the E4 though is that they're not as tough as previous incarnations. Fighting guy uses only pure Fighting and all the others have secondary typings you can exploit.

As for 'mons, at this stage it's evident who's good and who's bad. Early 'mons are actually quite bad right now and even your gifted elemental monkey will have problems. Then again it's hard to find stuff with good base stat totals in this generation.

Yeah I finished it there last night too. A bit disappointed by the difficulty level but wow was I impressed after beating the 4 guys! By far the best looking game on the DS! Also had a wtf moment when catching Zekrom. First encounter, got it's health in the red, threw 1 dusk ball and caught it. I was like, ummm is that it?! I was expecting a bit more of a challenge. I also found it's easier to catch Pokémon than previous games just in general.

But yeah! Now that I got the E4 out of the way it's time to explore, trade, random wi-fi battle and have some fun!

Also had a wtf moment when catching Zekrom. First encounter, got it's health in the red, threw 1 dusk ball and caught it. I was like, ummm is that it?! I was expecting a bit more of a challenge.

I was a little surprised as well when I found out Resh/Zek have a catch rate of 45! (Same as Dialga/Palkia!)

Heh, I remember how easy it was to catch Palkia, once caught it in one turn using a Quick Ball.

I also found it's easier to catch Pokémon than previous games just in general.

I've found on a couple of occasions I've caught 'mon on the first wiggle of the ball - and I'm not paralysing, sleeping or false swiping them yet - which I don't remember ever happening on prev gens. On the other hand though, I've accidentally OHKO'd a lot of basic/unevolved critters by mistake just because the wild encounter levels get so high, but the unevolved wildies don't stack up well against a well trained crack poké-unit

Still dithering over a team for the E4... I always overthink this bit.... Quick question : Did you go in blind and hope for the best or did you use a Hiragana translator and Bulbapedia to figure out what was being sent out against you so you could type match?

Still dithering over a team for the E4... I always overthink this bit.... Quick question : Did you go in blind and hope for the best or did you use a Hiragana translator and Bulbapedia to figure out what was being sent out against you so you could type match?

I went in blind with the exception of being spoiled by Bulbapedia navigation templates telling me who the Elite Four actually consisted of and knowing their primary types as those too were spoiled seeing as their backgrounds were their type colours... So, no, had no idea what was being sent out against me other than trying to guess what they could have.

I went in blind too. Took my strongest 'mon with me, stocked up on medicines and hoped for the best!

Also when you catch a pokémon in just one shake it's a critical catch, just like you have critical hits and stuff. I only found out when buzzthebatgirl told me :P

Going into the E4 blind is the best way :)

I'm currently preparing for VGC 2011. By looking at the useful playable Pokemon, it would seem that having a fast Taunter, Genie with Imprison, big power fighting type move and a good Ice Punch/Ice Beam dude will go a long way.

I love critical catches! They are so random and don't always catch, but the whoosh is amazing!

Seriously, they let you just waltz right into the post-game with whatever you had in N's Castle and let you just get demolished by 50+ wilds and Trainers with 65's?!?!

Yep :( it's like "elite 4, pah! The eastern side is where it's challenging!"

On another note, I've been having fun with the gts negotiation. Although I don't have much to trade so people keep giving me sad faces :(

• Advertisement

Dare I ask... what is GTS negotiation?

HAven't had time to hit the E4 with Christmas car-parks eating all my spare time but I'll close my eyes and give it a bash at lunch...

Winter set in over the weekend though, and I'm pissing away a lot of time trying to catch one of those angry chandeliers. I've accidentally critical-one-shotted two of the buggers already, and they're rarer than girls with covered knees in newcastle.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Seriously, they let you just waltz right into the post-game with whatever you had in N's Castle and let you just get demolished by 50+ wilds and Trainers with 65's?!?!
    I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that before.....

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that before.....

Yea, but the main issue is the lack of linearity with the difficulty level in that sense. It goes straight from the max Lv54 with Geechisu with nothing interim and just plonks you straight into National Dex 65's. At least the northern island in D/P/Pt was somewhat linear in level scaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

If you're reading this, you'll end up single

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Phantasos

For people that have played the game (waiting for the EU release in 2011 or 2030 or whatever, le sigh) I have a question:

What pokemon did you unexpectedly grow to love (or hate) through gameplay?

Dare I ask... what is GTS negotiation?

It's like a live trade with someone. You offer up 3 Pokémon to trade and they offer up 3. If both people are happy you pick one of theirs and they pick one of yours and so you trade :) There's no proper communication between players though, you can only use a smiley face, a sad face, a love heart and an exclamation mark to show your approval or disapproval of the other persons offerings. Definitely give it a try :) I've gotten a lot of previous gen Pokémon from it as I don't have Japanese games to trade over my ones to White.
    TheChrisD wrote: »
    Yea, but the main issue is the lack of linearity with the difficulty level in that sense. It goes straight from the max Lv54 with Geechisu with nothing interim and just plonks you straight into National Dex 65's. At least the northern island in D/P/Pt was somewhat linear in level scaling.

Although the 'mon are much higher levels they don't seem to have great moves or stats as is the same with the trainers 'mon.
    The only trainer that should pose a bit of difficulty after the E4 is Cynthia
    Phantasos wrote: »
    For people that have played the game (waiting for the EU release in 2011 or 2030 or whatever, le sigh) I have a question:

Emm, I've not really gotten attached to anything this year. I found the crocodile to be a really great addition to my team and he really pulled his weight. Same with red-headed dragon and the doggie. Sorry I never bothered to learn the new names :o

Phantasos wrote: »

My favourite 5th Gen Pokemon became the gangsters:
    viewtopic.php?t%3D57289%26start%3D1625%26sid%3D6608a5947bf193a30e98d2e1c1011e55&t=1&usg=AFrqEzeEkuykVOISD2R9Mzl2OrlPBMcskg
    I've even got one trained up for VGC2011

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

i will bw waiting till it comes out in Europe but i have a question of the new pokemon is there any resemblance to real animals?
    why because its the one that i loved from the start are the ones that resemble real animals except ratata and zubat

seanand wrote: »
    i will bw waiting till it comes out in Europe but i have a question of the new pokemon is there any resemblance to real animals?
    why because its the one that i loved from the start are the ones that resemble real animals except ratata and zubat
    Should answer that question:
    &t=1&usg=AFrqEzeBf2E-5uy2NEAkur76pMe9jbIpsg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

ya but theres too many bird types like that ie pidgie hoothoot starie

Advertisement