Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokémon BW Players Thread SPOILERS

Options
  • 25-10-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

For those of us that have Pokémon Black and White here's a thread to chat, share info, organise trades, post news and other BW stuff without spoiling the game for those that don't have it or want to wait :D

I mentioned this to El Nick earlier today, but for those of us using the Global Link Website, there are two passwords available for it.

From the main log in menu, hit the big orange button in the bottom right:
    キャンペーン(Campaigns Menu).

Click on the one that says Pikachu C-Gear (ピカチュウis Pikachu) and copy and paste in this password: ゆめのせかい

To change your C-Gear skin click on the red Pokéball with the DS on it, click on the C-gear skin, Pokédex skin or Musical Song you want, then click on the button on the top right. When you sync back to your DS game you will have the selected items in your game

To get the Croagunk with the ability Poison Hand (Poisons on Contact), copy and paste this password: コロコロであおう

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Cheers for the headsup on the Croagunk. I've never been a big fan but now that they can have the Touch Of Death I'm intrigued :)

How do you actually get the thing off the DreamWorld though? Is it downloaded at your next sync automatically?
    I hope not.
    I've a feeling I may have lost mine - I took Wiket, who at this point is clinically narcoleptic, out of the DreamWorld last night after entering the Croagunk code and feeding a female DoDuo to the Hungry Tree God. After 40 minutes of WiFi churn it still hadn't downloaded my hapless little Hooterii pal, and then the battery went. Plugged in, reconnected, Wiket came back in about 2 mins but there's no sign of a DoDuo or a Croagunk.

Oh hungry tree!
    You took my Oran Berry,
    We had a deal,
    You got a free meal,
    And I,
    Nothing.

So what does your team look like?
    I've just got the 4th badge, currently my core team is :
    Viper - L27 Janovy (Smug snake with legs)
    Teebo - L28 Haderia (Scotty dog)
    Nymph - L26 Hahakurimo (Leafy mantis)
    Farns - L24 Hatooboo (Turkey pidgeon)
    Xen - L22 Munna (psychic elephant cushion)
    Pando - L27 Mogurew (Mole)

but I have a couple of subs - one of those ground/dark gators (who was less useful in the Electric Gym than I thought - those Emongas are a pain in the hole to hit), a selection of elemental monkeys and one of those yokes that looks like a cross between a pebble and an erogenous zone. Also I got a Zorua off the GTS and am training him up with a Lotad and one of those cosmonaut-faced tadpoles. They're not as awesome as the hype might make you think...

Does Zorua always take on the appearance of the last 'Mon in your team until a punch is landed?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

When I entered in the Croagunk password, it was accepted and then I got a screen where I clicked a bush and Croagunk appeared. From then on it was on my Noticeboard and downloaded during my next sync. Have a look in the High Link, it might already be waiting for you.

I've already finished up on the story mode, I'm spending my in-game time EVing, GTS Live!, and upping the numbers of Zorua in the wild.

My in-game party was:
    Rage, the ugly red headed dragon
    Vince, the Victini
    Pants the Loyal. Punk Gangser trousers dude
    iSmug the Grass Snake Starter
    Jason the "Get a Hair cut" Hippy Monkey
    Buzz the Happy Bat

Pants has been the most awesome.com, he still hangs around with me, babysitting the lower levelled 'mon

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

So for those playing the game, is there many 3v3 battles or 2v2 for that matter...

Also, just looking at all the starters stats and there not as good as the previous generations, are they any good at all cause there move pools look limited too :L

Had a couple of 2v2s - including maybe 2 random encounter ones - but no 3v3s so far. Don't know if they feature in the solo game. Or maybe I've just not looked hard enough. Actually now I think about it it's surprising how often 2 guys challenge you (or you and another friendly character) and it doesn't result in a 2v2 battle...

My apologies to the Hungry Tree God - it sent me my Croagunk last night. Looks like it ate my Doduo though....

Have one of those punky flasher/trouser droppers in the box, might give him a run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Wait, hang on...

So am I correcting in saying that you're not allowed access the eastern part of Isshu's "ring" of routes and cities until you've beaten the Elite Four - thus making the entire continent a directly linear route to Victory Road?

This game has disappointed me...

• Advertisement

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Wait, hang on...

So am I correcting in saying that you're not allowed access the eastern part of Isshu's "ring" of routes and cities until you've beaten the Elite Four - thus making the entire continent a directly linear route to Victory Road?

This game has disappointed me...
    Yes, but trainers at the eastern side have 'mon at Levels 60-80

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Would that not, kinda, make it like Gold/Silver and its remakes, where you couldn't get to Kanto until you beat the Elite Four?

I see no one dared to comment on my remark of the new starters. Are they as bad as they look stat wise?

Can't comment on proper battling, but the Grass starter is unspectacular and one-dimensional so far in-game (mine is has boosted Special Attack at the expense of Attack - mild or modest? - so sticking with SP attacks has left me very grass-centric). Planning to run mine with Leech Seed, GigaDrain, Ice Beam and Toxic eventually because I'm unimaginative and am in denial about the mediocre defense stats. The other two look a bit more interesting.

Damnitt. I crippled my Munna by swapping Psybeam for that crappy psychic attack that only hits Mons of the same type as the user. God, I hate playing without access to Bulbapedia. Had to spend the whole day catching a new one and training it up...

Denny M wrote: »
    Would that not, kinda, make it like Gold/Silver and its remakes, where you couldn't get to Kanto until you beat the Elite Four?

Yes, but at least Kanto's not as obvious on the map as the Eastern half of Isshu, where they just put construction workers in front of the gate on Route 16 to stop you advancing.
    Banjo wrote: »
    Damnitt. I crippled my Munna by swapping Psybeam for that crappy psychic attack that only hits Mons of the same type as the user. God, I hate playing without access to Bulbapedia. Had to spend the whole day catching a new one and training it up...

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Synchro_Noise_(move)?

• Advertisement

^ yes, that one. Can't see what situations it'd be terribly useful since most of the users will be of type Psychic, so you're unlikely to do even normal-effective damage with it.

Firstly: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mirror_Type_(move)

Secondly: Synchro Noise isn't limited to Psychic types as you can see. Under normal circumstances, 7 'mons would hit Normal-types and 4 would hit Flying-types for neutral damage.

. I crippled my Munna by swapping Psybeam for that crappy psychic attack that only hits Mons of the same type as the user. God, I hate playing without access to Bulbapedia. Had to spend the whole day catching a new one and training it up...
    If you have an iPod/iPhone/Android phone then search the store for an App called Lukomon by Kombo Studio. It costs about €4, but it's an offline Bulbapedia for Gen 3 to Gen 5 games WITH IV Calculator (not Gen 5 compatable just yet). Also does a MoveDex and ItemDex built in and detailed locations (again not fully up to Gen 5).

@SamIAmNot: I noticed that my iSmug wasn't pulling her weight once she hit the Lv40 mark. I don't know about the other starters in-game though.....

Firstly: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mirror_Type_(move)

Secondly: Synchro Noise isn't limited to Psychic types as you can see. Under normal circumstances, 7 'mons would hit Normal-types and 4 would hit Flying-types for neutral damage.

Neutral damage! Hold the front page!
    Granted it's not as useless as I make it out to be but it's at best a highly situational move and has questionable value in the solo game.
    i think I'm missing the point with Mirror Type unless you're suggesting that I should keep my old Munna because it's about to be attacked by a horde of angry Staryu. I knew my in-game bespectacled chum was planning something big but staryu? The fiend!

I'm disappointed to hear the grass starter doesn't get any better. I'm about to hit the Ground gym, so I guess Viper is about to have his blaze of glory before vanishing into boxed-up obscurity :(

I'm becoming quite fond of my pants dropping punky fighter thing. Thanks for the tip Buzz!

I'm becoming quite fond of my pants dropping punky fighter thing. Thanks for the tip Buzz!
    It's all about the pants...

55kLt.gif :pac:

What does everyone have against Smug at higher levels? It has the combination of Leaf Blade and Coil Around, what more do you need?

Well, when you put it that way, an Adamant Smugleaf :)

Personally I don't like inaccurate attacks - I'd be interested to see exactly how Coil affects the hit-ratio of moves like Slam or Iron Tail - and the movepool seems to me a little narrow with the non-grass attacks tending to be either low-powered or inaccurate. Given the choice I can't see why you'd pick this over any other grass starter, let alone any other 'Mon.

In-game, grass is the least effective starter type for the gyms, and with it being the best looking of the 3 starters but there being little in the learned-move pool to give your Smugleaf a wider role in the team it's natural that people be disappointed.

I'd be interested to see exactly how Coil affects the hit-ratio of moves like Slam or Iron Tail

Every increase to the Accuracy stat increases it by 33%. So, one use of Coil Around + Slam = 75% * 4/3 = a guaranteed hit, as well as the 50% boost to physical Attack and Defense.

What does everyone have against Smug at higher levels? It has the combination of Leaf Blade and Coil Around, what more do you need?
    Lack of full coverage bothered me, Coil Around and Leaf Blade fails at KOing other grassies, birdies etc. All Dragon Tail does is put Smuggy into delay before attacking, in my case usually getting itself killed before actually killing anything. Would it be so hard for it to get something like....um Poison Jab for coverage?

I wish that smug was better. I was torn between him and the water guy. Guess I know who I'm picking now :)

• Advertisement

Finally had a go of the breeding centre last night. It's such a simple little change but I love the way the guy just shouts at you when you go by and there's an egg to collect. No more dicking about with tapping the Poketch or crossing over the nearest route boundary a billion times.

Incidentally, a bit of hunting on the GTS with a box full of Pokabu means I now have females of the 3 starters if anyone who doesn't go along to the meetups and was hithertofore too shy to ask for one is looking for one. Can't promise the moves will be anything more than standard though...

Here, there's a house after the 4th Gym before the magnetic cave where there are a bunch of seasonal charts on the wall and trees behind glass. I figured out enough to show them one of those Deer who change with the seasons, and now when I go into the building they have one of their own running around. Is there a point to this or something else I need to do to unlock some awesomeness?

Anyone know where the Name Rater is? I usually chicken out of conversations that end with a Yes/No that displays your current team in case I swap my deluxe Tadpole/Cosmonaut for an Onix...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The name rater is in Hiun city. Cant remember which building he's in but it's one of the apartment blocks on the ground floor. He's an old man so shouldn't be too hard to find!

Game finally arrived on thursday!! Having a bit of trouble with the 4th gym leader, the electric one. Those flying-electric pokémon are so annoying 'cos I can't hit them with ground attacks. More levelling up needed!

Cheers - I'll go look for him.

It's not just ground attacks, the little bastards dodge EVERYTHING! (at least I think that's what's happening... their health doesn't go down and there's a lot of japanese text) Having said that, the dark/ground Crocodile should be able to hand out a bitey/crunchey beatdown and I think your Rockgina should have evolved by then - not only does it look less vulgar but it can rockblast through Emongas like a knife through a squirrel.

Took me weeks to get to that gym... how do you people get through the game so quickly? Things are moving a tiny bit faster since I got the free Lucky Egg (thank god I don't have to hunt chanseys for them any more) but jaysus - training up to a Gym-take-on-able level is sloooow (I tend to aim for 5 levels above where I was for the prev gym so for example I'm grinding my team to 35 for the 6th gym. Is that overkill?)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

They have high speed too so that doesn't help. Also that annoying u-turn electric move is very annoying :mad: I've been training up the croc alright so I'll just have to keep working away at it!

Oh goody, I'm not the only person to find Emonga to be the most annoying piece of **** ever invented!!!

The_Dark_Mouse_by_raizy.png

Finally broke the 60cm barrier in the ice cream scoop minigame on Dreamworld. Alas, nothing magical happens

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
    Generation V
    Thief no longer steals non-player character's Pokémon's items permanently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well then.. That makes Thief pretty bloody pointless outside of stealing a Berry in battle..

• Advertisement

Well, if it's only NPC items you can't steal, you can still nick stuff off the wild Pokemon, right?

Right?

Advertisement