Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

outforarun wrote: »
    The forerunner 110 shows current total time. So the first part is easy, hit stop when I see distance 0.80. Then if I want say a 90 second recovery I'd need to add 80 seconds to the next time I see on the Garmin (total time is invisible for 10 seconds after lapping). This might be doable for one or two intervals but I just know I'd be be twisted silly trying to remember when to press the lap button after 4 or more intervals.

You registered for Cork yet? Only 54 days to go :eek:

Instead of distance then you could use 3mins as your interval length. Follow this up with a 2:30 or even 2:00 recovery just so as to allow for ease of calculations. This would effectively give you the same workout and you wouldn't have to worry about distances - just pace and time.

As for Cork, I regged on the last day of paper entries thereby getting an extra €5 off entry, so ya, I've entered a long time ago!!:D

54 days to go actually seems like loads of time for me seeing as I've already done so many LSRs at this stage.
    I will be looking to add MP pace segments to all LSRs from now on and intend much more speedwork than up to now.
    ...maybe 54 days really isn't all that long afterall!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You may not be an expert but you're definitely meno scemo than me ;)
    Wow, Finally someone has got the old user name :D Well done, I see you have picked up the lingo. What do you be doing over in Milan btw?
    The forerunner 110 shows current total time. So the first part is easy, hit stop when I see distance 0.80. Then if I want say a 90 second recovery I'd need to add 80 seconds to the next time I see on the Garmin (total time is invisible for 10 seconds after lapping).

Now just to prove my menoscemo-ness ;)

You can set your forerunner so that the time shown is the total lap time, instead of the total overall time.
    To do this: menu> settings> datafields> (choose number of fields) > time> Time-Lap.

Thus every time you press the 'lap' button the time displayed goes back to zero while the overall time is still being recorded in the background.

I generally set my time to 'Lap time' before interval sessions to help me guage pace and recovery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

belcarra wrote: »
    Instead of distance then you could use 3mins as your interval length. Follow this up with a 2:30 or even 2:00 recovery just so as to allow for ease of calculations. This would effectively give you the same workout and you wouldn't have to worry about distances - just pace and time.

Yip, menoscemo mentioned the same, this could be the way to go alright.
    As for Cork, I regged on the last day of paper entries thereby getting an extra €5 off entry, so ya, I've entered a long time ago!!:D

On the ball. I'm too superstitous to have entered so soon, feels like tempting fate and I'd definitely pick up an injury the day after. Will bite the bullet in the next few days.

I will be looking to add MP pace segments to all LSRs from now on and intend much more speedwork than up to now.
    ...maybe 54 days really isn't all that long afterall!:cool:

Looking forward to seeing how your speedwork and MPs go.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Wow, Finally someone has got the old user name :D Well done, I see you have picked up the lingo. What do you be doing over in Milan btw?

Lived here for about 4 years all told and the OH is a native. So I'm always back and forth. Normally I get some good warm weather running in. Not this time!
    Now just to prove my menoscemo-ness ;)

You can set your forerunner so that the time shown is the total lap time, instead of the total overall time.
    To do this: menu> settings> datafields> (choose number of fields) > time> Time-Lap.

Unless I'm really piu scemo than I think, I cannot find datafields anywhere under settings. I think with the 110 you're mostly stuck with the default fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

On the ball. I'm too superstitous to have entered so soon, feels like tempting fate and I'd definitely pick up an injury the day after. Will bite the bullet in the next few days.

Look at it this way...The day after registering for a race way in advance is the best day to get injured! Plenty of time to recover for the training and race itself!!

Anyways, Edinburgh was ruled out fairly early in the process so Cork was the obvious target for me after that. From then onwards it was always gonna be my priority for the first half of the year. Although, now I'm trying to settle on plans for the second half...must look into getting early bird price for Dublin soon!!:D

• Advertisement

Unless I'm really piu scemo than I think, I cannot find datafields anywhere under settings. I think with the 110 you're mostly stuck with the default fields.

yeah, I have a 405. I have heard people say that the 110 doesn't have as many features, yet I know loads who use then 110 for 'proper' interval sessions. I have even seen a guy time the 1 min recvovery with his at the club. Not sure how to set it up though :o

I knew this would happen, I got less satisfaction out of my interval session today now that my interval structure has been largely discredited in recent posts here and in the main ARTs forum. Ah well.

I was lazy this morning and opted to run in the afternoon instead. This was a mistake. While the morning was fresh and even chilly, the afternoon was very humid and close. A storm brewing somewhere. I was sweating much more than usual after my warm-up and my legs felt sluggish and heavy. Thick air weighing down.

First fast 800 was a 3:19 and it didn't feel easy. I was going to be in for a long day. Already during the second fast 800 I was thinking that today's session could be my first fail of this training cycle. But instead the effort seemed to plateau and maybe only the last 100 to 200 meters of each fast 800 felt tougher than the previous fast 800. Times are consistent: 3:16, 3:17, 3:18. Two more intervals to go and I feel a bit like during my last interval session that yes this tiring but if I had to I probably could tag on an extra fast 800 at the end. I reckon when I do try out a 'proper' interval session after Cork I'm in for a rude awakening. 3:17 and a 3:16 to finish. Good timing because gusts of wind have arrived bringing some nasty rain with them.

Pasta at lunch and pasta in the evening in preparation for tomorrow's 20 miler.

Warm-up 2.23M @ 9:00 (400 miles for the year)

Recovery / Interval
    3:59 (8:02) / 3:19 (6:42)
    4:13 (8:30) / 3:16 (6:35)
    4:12 (8:27) / 3:17 (6:38)
    4:15 (8:35) / 3:18 (6:40)
    4:11 (8:26) / 3:17 (6:36)

4:11 (8:26) / 3:16 (6:36)
    Averages
    4:10 (8:23) / 3:17 (6:36)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/167639099

Warm-down 1.15M @ 8:32

Week 13 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to 9:00 |5.01| 9:05
    Steady 10M @ 8:30 to 8:00 |10.07| 8:14
    Intervals 6x800 @ 6:45 to 6:15 with recovery 800s at 8:30 to 8:00|6x800| 6:36 with recs @ 8:23
    LSR 20M @ 9:00 to 8:45||

Sessions Completed / On Target / DNS / DNF / Remaining |Session Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    46 / 46 / 05 / 00 / 28 |24.44 / 71.27 / 375.86

9 laps of the park this morning. Legs were stiff enough from yesterday but not as bad as I'd feared and I soon settled into a nice rhythm. No where near as humid as it was yesterday, it's overcast and damp. It's marathon day tomorrow in Milan and there are quite a few serious looking runners about. I find it easy today to keep on pace and I just settle back and watch the park-life: games of football, games of tennis, horses galloping (there's a race course running along side the park), kid learning to cycle, joggers and runners and dog-walkers. There's a running class going on with about 20 newbies, the instructor is telling them that today they are going to learn how to run, looks very well organized.

During the run I take two gels, I take a 90 second break to empty bladder behind a tree, stop once to fill water bottle from one of the many fountains. My legs feel grand for the full distance. Feel a bit sore around the groin area for the last 4 or 5 miles.

Had a glorious 2 hour, belly full, semi nap on a comfy sofa in the afternoon. This evening legs feel a bit tired yes but nothing out of the ordinary. That's week one of 5 peak weeks completed.

M01 8:44
    M02 8:46
    M03 8:38
    M04 8:51
    M05 8:46
    M06 8:52
    M07 8:45
    M08 8:45
    M09 8:46
    M10 8:45
    M11 8:47
    M12 8:43
    M13 8:49
    M14 8:42
    M15 8:48
    M16 8:45
    M17 8:53
    M18 8:41
    M19 8:44
    M20 8:45

Total 20.11M @ 8:46

Week 13 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to 9:00 |5.01| 9:05
    Steady 10M @ 8:30 to 8:00 |10.07| 8:14
    Intervals 6x800 @ 6:45 to 6:15 with recovery 800s at 8:30 to 8:00|6x800| 6:36 with recs @ 8:23
    LSR 20M @ 9:00 to 8:45|20.11| 8:46

Sessions Completed / On Target / DNS / DNF / Remaining |Session Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    47 / 47 / 05 / 00 / 27 |44.55 / 91.39 / 395.97

It's marathon day tomorrow in Milan and there are quite a few serious looking runners about.

I was going to ask you about this before but you have jogged my memory. Have you ever considered running Milan Marathon? I remember reading an article in Running times listing the fastest marathons in the world and Milan was right up there amongst Berlin, Rotterdam, Amesterdam etc.

I Have you ever considered running Milan Marathon? I remember reading an article in Running times listing the fastest marathons in the world and Milan was right up there amongst Berlin, Rotterdam, Amesterdam etc.

Yeah I've considered it a few times and I probably will end up doing it at some point. It doesn't surprise me to hear that is one of the fastest, Milan is very very very flat and you could count on two hands the number of mornings in a year that have wind worth mentioning. April is also a good month weather wise, you would be unluckly to hit an exceptionally hot or humid day. Yesterday morning it was fresh and raining. Note you need to get a medical cert giving you an all-clear to run. There's also a popular HM in Milan every March, 'Stramilano'.

• Advertisement

Haven't had an opportunity to update in a while. Week 14 started at 6am on Wednesday morning. I could hear rain out all night, then when I stepped out onto the road it had stopped. Nice one. One mile in and it was pouring again. Nice and breezy as well. Good Morning.

Legs felt very stiff for the first mile and a half of this one, I was glad to be running recovery pace. Legs gradually came to life. Passed 400 miles of marathon training. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about what is a low mileage marathon plan. Here's hoping that the quality of the runs will balance out the low quantity.

In out of the rain.

M01 9:17
    M02 8:59
    M03 9:17
    M04 9:07 (400 miles of marathon training)
    M05 9:02

Total 5.12M @ 9:10

Week 14 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to 9:00 |5.12| 9:10
    Steady 6M @ 8:30 to 8:00 ||
    Tempo 10M @ 7:30 to 7:00||
    LSR 12M @ 9:00 to 8:45||

48 / 48 / 05 / 00 / 26 |5.12 / 96.51 / 401.09

Had to bring the little one to A&E Wednesday night, (bump to the head - she's grand now, not a bother on her, I wonder can you get baby helmets) didn't get home until gone midnight. That put paid to any plans to run Thursday morning. Ran this morning instead. I'm very happy with my discipline for these early runs, getting out of bed and out the door isn't really a problem. There is always a voice in my head protesting and trying to persuade me back to bed (back to sofa) but I've become expert at ignoring it.

Funny run this one, the first two miles it felt tough enough to stay under 8:30 pace, the next two miles it felt very hard to stay slower than 8:00 pace. The last two miles were grand to manage. Finished feeling good. Both heels were sore this morning for the first half mile. I have to put hand up here and admit I've been neglecting heel specific stretches over the last while. Need to remedy that.

Tomorrow is a biggie. I'll be trying to dip under 75 mins for 10 miles in training. That'll be a first. I'm pretty confident I have it in me but I know I'll have to put in the effort.

M01 8:24
    M02 8:10
    M03 8:08
    M04 8:05
    M05 8:24
    M06 8:26

Total 6.01M @ 8:17

Steady 6M @ 8:30 to 8:00 |6.01|8:17

49 / 49 / 05 / 00 / 25 | 11.13 / 102.51 / 407.10

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Tomorrow is a biggie. I'll be trying to dip under 75 mins for 10 miles in training.

Do that and you will be flying! A real proof of progress. Best of luck.

:) New Garmin 10.00 Mile PB of 1:13:15 :)

Did a very good job of not thinking too much about this one beforehand. I just got on the gear and headed out as if were any other run and not an unofficial 10 mile PB effort. Couldn't find an empty water bottle around the house so bought a Powerade enroute to the Park. Wasn't concerned that I hadn't run with Powerade before.

Get to my usual starting point. I have a new 10 miler mapped out in my head, that should bring me back to this starting point and so complete the loop. My route ends up being 10.08 miles. You get good at guessing distances after a while.

Miles 1 to 5 in 36:26
    Head up Chesterfield and everytime I check I'm at 7:20 pace. Instead of looping back around by the Papal Cross as I normally do, I turn left at the bicycle path before the Phoenix, and head down toward the cross before turning right and heading back onto Chesterfield at the Phoenix. the earlier turn off Chesterfield helps to break up the constant incline. Mile one shows at 7:19. I'm running a mental split against 7:30 pace, so that's 11 seconds up already. Continue up Chesterfield. Two weeks ago 7:0X pace felt 'comfortable' around here. I'm not running as fast today but mile 2 logs at 7:22 and it feels fine. 19 seconds up. I'm happy to leave the ascent behind and turn left down Ordnance.

Pace picks up and effort reduces a bit. remind myself that I don't need to try and run as fast as possible, just keep it tipping away under 7:30 pace. Mile 3 is a 7:15 putting me 34 seconds up. Over half a minute up after just three miles, am I going out too quick? Mile 4 is pretty much all downhill. I'm conscious that my legs feel good, I try a little mental deception telling myself that I'm one of those really fast runners for whom this is an easy pace run and that it'll be easy to maintain. Easier to fool myself like this on the downhills. Mile 4 is a nifty 7:13, now 51 seconds up.

Someone has the nerve to stop their car to ask me directions just at the top of the hill after the Chapelizod Gate. Blurted out quickest directions ever, take them or leave them and I continue on my way. I mean really couldn't they see I was in the zone :rolleyes: Watch the Garmin at the end of mile 5, it logs a 7:16, 65 seconds up. Half-way there and well on target.

Miles 6 to 10 in 36:48
    The start of the second 5 miles is the section I expect to be the toughest as it includes the rise up Wellington and another ascent up Chesterfield until the same cycle path as one mile 1. In fact mile 6 is the first time I find myself having to up the effort, I see a 7:3X on the watch and even though I know I have over a minute in the bank I'm determined to stay fast side of 7:30 for each mile. Mile 6 is 7:21, 74 seconds up. Turn down the cycle path. There's some sort of charity run starting up round here, lots of people gathering. I feel the pace increasing again as I turn past them and turn clockwise onto the path around the playing fields.

Lungs are working now, but I still feel good. Mile 7 is the fastest of the day at 7:11 and I'm 90 seconds up. barring disaster I'm happy I'll come in on target now. Mile 8 is the toughest mile. I turn right along the cycle path by the fort and face straight into a strong head-wind. Lean into this and tackle the slight incline up as far as the hospital. It took effort here to stay under 7:30. I log a 7:29, slowest mile of the day. 91 seconds up. Turn left down the hill then right along the narrow path that runs just below the hospital, then left again down towards the Chapelizod Gate and back up the hill after the gate for the second time today. Not as easy second time round. Mile 9 is 7:25, 96 seconds up.

And I'm onto the last mile, which includes the run down Military Hill. Allows me to catch my breath before a final effort back up Wellington to complete my loop and 10.08 miles in 1:13:51. I went through 10.00 point in 1:13:15.

Really thrilled with this, not least because I feel I honestly could have gone faster. Overall average pace for the run was 7:20, a whole 30" a mile faster than the fast end of PMP pace (7:50 to 8:00). Maybe it was the Powerade ;)

A 1:13:15 10 miler has me down for a 3:25:10 marathon on McMillan. Where do I sign?

Warm-up 1.01M @ 9:16

M01 7:19
    M02 7:22
    M03 7:15
    M04 7:13
    M05 7:16
    M06 7:21
    M07 7:11
    M08 7:29
    M09 7:25
    M10 7:21

Total 10.08M @ 7:20

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/170461033

Warm-down 1.18M @ 8:59

Steady 6M @ 8:30 to 8:00 |6.01|8:17
    Tempo 10M @ 7:30 to 7:00|10.08|7:20

50 / 50 / 05 / 00 / 24 | 23.40 / 114.79 / 419.38

Legs felt good Saturday afternoon and evening. But they were stiff this morning. Was up about 90 minutes before I was due to run today and that helped loosen them out a bit. Decided to wear two layers on top just to feel cosy.

Mile one today was a slow effort, legs weren't happy. They soon came round though. Pacing was a bit erratic today. First mile was a 9:19, then I overcompensated on mile 2 with an 8:34 mile 2. My route this morning took me round a full lap of the Park, up behind zoo, in out Castleknock Gate, down around the Upper Glen Road, S-bends back to Wellington, then a second loop up to the Phoenix, down Acres Road, along the playing fields to the fort and then out Park Gate and home. When the sun was out it was warm, when it wasn't it was cold. Completed the distance without any hiccups, but I was aware all way round that I was running on tired legs. Glad to tick this one off.

Bought a second pair of Nimbus in Champion Sports this weekend. I've over 400 done on the current pair and they still feel grand to be honest. I'll bring up the 500 in them and then start to break in the new pair.

M01 9:19
    M02 8:34
    M03 8:46
    M04 8:47
    M05 8:48
    M06 8:40
    M07 8:44
    M08 8:54
    M09 8:38
    M10 8:44
    M11 8:52
    M12 8:46

Total 12.09M @ 8:48

Steady 6M @ 8:30 to 8:00 |6.01| 8:17
    Tempo 10M @ 7:30 to 7:00|10.08| 7:20
    LSR 12M @ 9:00 to 8:45|12.09| 8:48

51 / 51 / 05 / 00 / 23 | 35.49 / 126.87 / 431.46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

:) New Garmin 10.00 Mile PB of 1:13:15 :)

Good running, told you that you'd do sub 75 mins easy for ten miles. Say you could take two mins roughly off that under race circumstances. You'll be running sub 70 mins sooner or later.

slowsteady wrote: »
    Do that and you will be flying! A real proof of progress. Best of luck.

Thanks man. I read this after I'd completed my run and it felt like an extra pat on the back :)

tang1 wrote: »
    Good running, told you that you'd do sub 75 mins easy for ten miles. Say you could take two mins roughly off that under race circumstances. You'll be running sub 70 mins sooner or later.

Thanks again tang1. Sub 70! Don't be putting mad ideas in my head :D, that's an average pace beginning with a 6. :eek:

Thanks man. I read this after I'd completed my run and it felt like an extra pat on the back :)
    Good to watch solid training giving results. Warm weather training in foreign parts, prescription for us all:p. Well done again.

Had to head west for work on a 7:30 train yesterday morning, so opened week 15 earlier than usual with a 5:34am run. 5 easy miles at 9:08 pace. Unremarkable run really. The positive I take from it is that the legs don't seem to be suffering after last weekend's fast 10 miler.

I remember there was a time when I would have balked at the thought of running 9 minute miles, find now instead that I really enjoy it. A pressure off run to start the week.

M01 9:17
    M02 9:01
    M03 9:05
    M04 9:03
    M05 9:14

Total 5.11M @ 9:08

Week 15 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to 9:00 | 5.11| 9:08
    Steady 10M @ 8:30 to 8:00 ||
    Intervals 6x800 @ 6:45 to 6:15 with recovery 800s at 8:30 to 8:00||

52 / 52 / 05 / 00 / 22 |5.11 / 131.98 / 436.57

• Advertisement

This morning's session was more a mental challenge than a physical one.

Got back late last night and there was just a niggling little doubt that I'd have the will-power to get up for this one. Alarm sounds at 4:50am. I have a 15 minute snooze set and at 5:05am it's me versus the sofa. I can't run tomorrow cause I'm on single-dad duty so it's now or never. C'mon. Nothing. It's dark and I can hear the rain outside. C'mon. I regress to a 10-year-old me and ask myself What would Paul O'Connell say? C'mon, get up out. It works :o. Up and on with the gear and before I know it I'm running, at 5:24am, my earliest ever run.

It's pretty miserable out. Wet and windy. I play a mental game where each mile is a lap, so when I've covered 1.01 miles I tell myself I'm on lap 2 of 10. Lap 2 sounds further than 1.01 miles. Just keep the head down and the legs turning. Thoughts turn to the fact that I'm on week 15 of training already. Can't believe that I'm that far in, it's flown by. It doesn't seem as though I've been as immersed in training as it did this time last year and I reckon that is mostly due to the 4 day week schedule. That extra rest day does take weight of the running week. I remind myself that I walk over 4 miles every weekday so it's not complete rest.

The mostly downhill stretch of my loop doesn't provide as much relief as normal today because of a squally headwind. Legs feel good though and I never find I have to push the pace, had to put the brakes on a little bit at times. Bottle-hand starting to go numb. Once I complete 6.01 miles and find myself on lap 7 it gets easier, the back of the run was broken. It was bright out now and felt more awake. Finished comfortably.

Really pleased with myself for ticking this one off, not often I have 10 miles in the bag before 7:00am. Legs behaved for the rest of the day.

M01 8:24
    M02 8:10
    M03 8:07
    M04 8:07
    M05 8:11
    M06 8:18
    M07 8:17
    M08 8:13
    M09 8:20
    M10 8:15

Total 10.13M @ 8:15

Steady 10M @ 8:30 to 8:00 | 10.13| 8:15
    Intervals 6x800 @ 6:45 to 6:15 with recovery 800s at 8:30 to 8:00||

53 / 53 / 05 / 00 / 21 |15.24 / 142.11 / 446.70

Alarm sounds at 4:50am.

My alarm is set for 5:50am normally, but for WORK. Fair dues having the mental strength to get up and out.

After that PBs will be no problem:)

slowsteady wrote: »
    My alarm is set for 5:50am normally, but for WORK. Fair dues having the mental strength to get up and out.

After that PBs will be no problem:)

Thanks man. Where has our beautiful March gone? The last week it's been tough to get out at any hour. Rain, wind and cold.

Legs were tired for this one yesterday. Didn't feel up for it at all. Cold and breezy out so treated myself to my hi-vis and a pair of gloves. Warm-up over to the playing fields. Switch to metric and away I go.

The first interval wakes me up and I feel better. But there's an annoying wind as I head from the cross to the fort. I blame it for a slower than usual 3:21. Second interval is my fastest ever (I think) at 3:10, wind doing me a favour on this one. Legs still feel sluggish however and I've a suspicion that they're going to stay that way. Spot a group of runners to overtake on interval 3, log a 3:14. Then the wind and my tired legs start to sap my energy. Interval 4 at 3:19. During interval 5 I seriously think of not doing a 6th. Interval 5 logs at 3:18. Ok one last effort, into the wind. Finish with a 3:20. Just happy to be finished. Slow run home. Fast 800s were the same as last time-out at 6:36 average, recovery 800s a little faster at 8:11.

Warm-up 2.35M @ 9:37

Recovery / Interval
    4:01 (8:05) / 3:21 (6:46)
    4:09 (8:21) / 3:10 (6:23)
    4:04 (8:12) / 3:14 (6:31)
    3:59 (8:01) / 3:19 (6:41)
    4:01 (8:07) / 3:18 (6:38)
    4:08 (8:20) / 3:20 (6:42)
    Averages
    4:04 (8:11) / 3:17 (6:36)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/173009116

Warm-down 1.92M @ 9:27

Intervals 6x800 @ 6:45 to 6:15 with recovery 800s at 8:30 to 8:00|6x800| 6:36 with 8:11 recs

54 / 54 / 05 / 00 / 20 |25.48 / 152.35 / 456.94

Haven't enjoyed this week's running.

Early start on Wednesday because I was catching a 7:30 train. Earlier start on Thursday for 10 wet windy and cold miles. Tired legs and more wind yesterday. Went to bed last night hoping for a sunny Sunday morning. No such luck. Very very windy out. I wasn't going to get much enjoyment from 20 miles in this. Gear on and head out.

Over to the Park, two full laps plus a third lap where I run down the length of Chesterfield, gate to gate, and home. Running up behind the zoo I was facing into a ridiculous headwind. Was able to get some respite round the Glen Road side of my laps. Happy to take a gel after 7 miles, green apple flavour Power-Bars that I picked up in Milan. Tasty. The hardest part of the lap is from the Kyber up and around till after the zoo. Lots of runners out despite the gales.

Coming up to mile 14 I reach for my second gel to discover it's no longer in my pocket :eek:. Say some choice words, I'd been looking forward to that for the last 2 miles, some comfort on this chore of a run. I had been planning on heading up Chesterfield and lapping down the Kyber, now I change my plan and continue up behind the zoo for a third time. The hope is I'd dropped it somewhere along the zoo road and that I'd find it. I don't.

Ok, now I'm going to find out if these gels make a difference or not.
    I think they do! I think at first maybe it'll just feel tougher in my head, no placebo. Instead today the last 3 miles felt much tougher than the last three miles 2 weeks ago. Even though they were mostly downhill, my legs were protesting. And I was hungry. Started thinking more and more about food and couldn't wait to get home.

I'll have to come up with a better plan for carrying three gels on marathon day. I'm thinking maybe safety pin on my shorts. We'll see.

Anxious now about the peak session of peak training, coming up in 2 Sundays. A 22 miler with 8 PMP miles at the end. So much so that I'm thinking about replacing the planned 6x800s for the day before, with and easier 6 or 8 mile steady run.

Glad to finish this one. Glad to finish this week.

M01 8:55
    M02 8:32
    M03 8:47
    M04 8:47
    M05 8:48
    M06 8:47
    M07 8:55
    M08 8:58
    M09 8:46
    M10 8:49
    M11 8:46
    M12 8:39
    M13 8:55 (500 miles for the year)
    M14 8:52
    M15 8:42
    M16 8:40
    M17 8:37
    M18 8:50
    M19 8:45
    M20 8:49

Total 20.37 @ 8:48

Intervals 6x800 @ 6:45 to 6:15 with recovery 800s at 8:30 to 8:00|6x800| 6:36 with 8:11 recs
    LSR 20M @ 9:00 to 8:45|20.37| 8:48

55 / 55 / 05 / 00 / 19 |45.85 / 172.72 / 477.31

Registered for Cork last night.
    Also signed up for the race series 5M, 10M and HM. Plan for the 5M is to either pace my sister around (she's only been running a few months). Or if she doesn't show I'll see how I feel on the day, it'll be 26 days after the marathon. A day recovery per mile in Cork.

This midweek the only days I can run are today and tomorrow. Up early this morning. Take runners in from the balcony where they'd been soaked on Sunday. They've dried up and I think to myself it's not too bad out for a run. My run starts at 6:03 as do the first drops of rain. I think it's been raining ever since. I'm not adverse to wet running, I like it, but not all the time. I can't remember the last time I had a sunny run.

Legs weren't up to much more than the prescribed 5 miles at recovery pace this morning. They're still tired from the weekend. Only two weeks of training (including this one) left before I start to taper. The more I think about it the more I think it's clever to drop the intervals I have planned for the day before my 14+8 LSR Sunday week. I'll do a 6 mile steady instead I think. I have a 10M, 6M and 5M tempos still to complete and I think that should be enough speed work between now and Cork.

M01 9:28
    M02 9:08
    M03 9:19
    M04 9:21
    M05 9:14

Total 5.12M @ 9:18

Week 16 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to 9:00 | 5.12 | 9:18
    Steady 6M @ 8:30 to 8:00 ||

56 / 56 / 05 / 00 / 18 | 5.12 / 5.12 / 482.43

My system said enough is enough this morning, two nights of < 5 hours sleep were not appreciated. No conscious thought was permitted at 5:30 when the alarm sounded - killed the alarm in 1 second flat and slept till 7:15, lovely.

Now I've got to work some diplomacy to see if I can negotiate a run Friday evening. Otherwise the 5 DNS on my table above will switch to 6. I don't want that.

Diplomacy worked and I negotiated a run for this evening. This is the second evening run of this training plan and on both runs the legs felt heavy and stiff. Heavy footfall as well this evening. I reckon the body is just not expecting to run at this time of the day. Mentally I was up for this run after a couple of days without clocking any miles, legs just weren't interested. First three miles were unenjoyable, the last three miles were bearable. Bit concerned now about tomorrow's 10 mile tempo. Hopefully legs will have more zip in the morning.

M01 8:04
    M02 8:26
    M03 8:25
    M04 8:18
    M05 8:19
    M06 8:23

Total 6.00M @ 8:20

Steady 6M @ 8:30 to 8:00 | 6.00 | 8:20

57 / 57 / 05 / 00 / 17 |11.12 / 11.12 / 488.43

• Advertisement

:) New Garmin 10.00 Mile PB of 1:13:00 :)

I wasn't at all confident heading into this one. Legs felt as heavy as they ever had during yesterday evening's 6 steady miles. I was braced for a hard morning's work. Trotted over to the start of my 10 mile loop. Legs felt better than I thought they would but I still wasn't convinced they'd be up for the task. No need to be breaking any records, just need to finish with an average pace no slower than 7:30.

Miles 1 to 5 in 35:59
    Went out too fast. But I was running on feel and I felt surprisingly good. I really like the diversion down along the cycle-path before the Phoenix, it breaks the Chesterfield drag and makes the opening miles less daunting. First mile is 7:08 and I feel good but I'm aware that I might pay for this later. Half-hearted attempts to slow down follow, but mile 2 is still a nifty 7:13. These miles are mostly uphill so I really should be content with 7:2X pace. Instead on mile 3 as I approach the turn onto Ordnance Road I'm travelling uphill at 6:5X pace. So this is what sub-3 pace feels like. Ease off and close mile three with another 7:08. Still feeling good. I let downhill mile 4 do the work for me and log a 7:09. Mile 5 starts at Chapelizod Gate and finishes at the foot of the Kyber. This is the first mile that I feel I have to work to keep the pace up. I think after ascending the hill from Chapelizod you're fooled into thinking Military Road is flat, but it's not really and the S-bends don't allow you much opportunity for a breather. The descent down to the Kyber allows me clock a 7:18. Slowest mile of the opening 5. Halfway there, but I correctly suspect that there'll be no negative spilts today.

Miles 6 to 10 in 37:01
    I like this 10 mile route, I think there's a good mix of ups and downs, and the second ascent up toward the Phoenix from the bottom of Wellington is always a challenge. I find a nice rhythm and the drag isn't too difficult. Post a 7:28, that's fine. Happy to turn onto the cycle path and head round the playing fields. Mile 7 is a 7:14. No headwinds as I run back up toward the hospital, but I'm starting to tire, and I'm worried about the second ascent up from Chapelizod. Mile 8 is a 7:23. Only two to go. I know I'm up on my time of two weeks ago, lets see if my current effort will let me improve on it. I'm not too worried if I set another Garmin PB or not, I'm happy that barring disaster I'll complete the session on target. Second ascent up Chapelizod isn't too bad. Home-straight. Mile 9 is another 7:28. Keep the head down until I get round the S-bends, looking forward to the descent down to the Kyber. Bit of wind to contend with here. Last push up Wellington and complete the loop in 1:13:22. That's a record for the loop. Well pleased with that performance.

Only later when I load up the details can I confirm a 15" Garmin PB for 10.00 miles. Completed in 1:13:00. I'll find that extra second and hopefully some more in the Frank Duffy.

That's the last heavy speedwork session completed. I've decided not to do speed work next Saturday and focus my efforts on Sunday's 22 miler. I'm happy with these two 10 mile tempos, but I'm not getting carried away. Last year I also logged two Garmin PBs for 10 miles but missed out on the big goal on marathon day.

With my warm-down today I've brought up 500 miles on my current Nimbus. They still feel fine. Have to decide if I should start my new pair or maybe risk continuing with current pair; right to the finish line?

Quick check on McMillan now has me at 3:24:28.

Warm-up 1.26M @ 9:09

M01 7:08
    M02 7:13
    M03 7:08
    M04 7:09
    M05 7:18
    M06 7:28
    M07 7:14
    M08 7:23
    M09 7:28
    M10 7:26

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175051040

Total 10.05M @ 7:18

Warm-down 1.12M @ 9:04 (500 miles of marathon training)

Steady 6M @ 8:30 to 8:00 | 6.00 | 8:20
    Tempo 10M @ 7:30 to 7:00| 10.05 | 7:18

58 / 58 / 05 / 00 / 16 |23.56 / 23.56 / 500.87

Advertisement