Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

:) Runner's High.

The gorgeous weather outside made up my mind for me, today's run would be a 14 miler instead of the scheduled 10 miler. I'm conscious that I missed two runs at over half-marathon distance and I wanted to get one of them back. My right foot/ankle was still a bit sore this morning and I was a little concerned. Felt like I got knock on it more so than something being sprained or pulled. Told myself I'd drop back to 10 miles if it started to play up.

After 200 yards I'd forgotten all about it. My official 14 mile route is the route I'd choose to run with any running friends I might have staying. Especially on a glorious morning like this morning. Over to Phoenix, up behind the zoo (wolves this morning), up to the Castleknock roundabout, out and back in the gate, down Chesterfield, sun in my face. Down Ordnance and the Upper Glen Road, round the s-bends, down Military Road and up Wellington before turning back up Chesterfield. Turn left at the Phoenix and down for a lap of the playing fields before heading back down by the hospital for another run toward Wellington. Out Park Gate and home completing 14.08 miles.

Highlights of today's run: left-knee and hip giving some twinges for most of mile 5. But thankfully it passes. Take a gel at mile 7. I'm using Power-Bar gels. A strong attack on the taste-buds (mango and passion-fruit) but I like it. They're a pain to open though. I started my attempts to rip the top off at 6.6 miles, took me all of 0.4 of a mile to open it. Might try a tiny scissors cut before the run next time. On mile 10 - heading down Acres Road, clear blue sky, warm sun, fresh breeze, only sound is my footfall the swish-swish of my short-sleeve hi-vis and a crow cawing off somewhere to my right. Another snap-shot moment of why I love running.

Slow down near the end cause I've been toying a little too much with the fast side of 8:45 and I want to stay on target overall. Which I just manage. Feel good when I finish and could have gone on for further. I'll have the opportunity (touch-wood) next week when I push up to 16 miles. I'm going to add an exploration of Farmleigh, onto today's route, I've never ran in there.

Right foot still a bit sore, but no worse than this morning. I even got some sunburn this morning.

M01 8:45
    M02 8:38
    M03 8:41
    M04 8:52
    M05 8:48
    M06 8:42
    M07 8:44
    M08 8:46
    M09 8:40
    M10 8:37
    M11 8:46
    M12 8:43
    M13 8:56
    M14 8:51

Total 14.08M @ 8:45

Week 9 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to max 9:00 |5.13 | 9:07
    Steady 5M @ 8:30 to max 8:00 |5.07 | 8:22
    Tempo 6M @ 7:30 to max 7:00 |6.00| 7:18
    LSR 10M or 14M @ 9:00 to max 8:45 |14.08|8:45

Sessions Completed / On Target / DNS / DNF / Remaining |Session Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    31 / 31 / 05 / 00 / 43 |32.72 / 50.96 / 239.33

Had only 5 hours sleep last night but found it not too hard to get up and out this morning. Nice and mild and I think for the first time this year I went in just t-shirt and shorts.

Start the week with a luxury 9:26 pace mile, then just fall into an easy 9:0X pace for the rest of the run. Heels and calves are much improved, still some stiffness in the left heel but not as bad as it has been. I'm giving credit to the specific stretches I've started and to these 9 minute miles.

This week is a tough enough week; a 9 miler awaits in the morning, I'll need to be out by 5:30 so got to get to bed soon. Then Saturday's 9 mile tempo is looming. I have a feeling I'll find it easier to stay at 7:2X pace than I did last Saturday.

M01 9:26
    M02 9:05
    M03 9:08
    M04 9:03
    M05 9:08

Total 5.11M @ 9:11

Week 10 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to max 9:00 |5.11 | 9:11
    Steady 9M @ 8:30 to max 8:00 ||
    Tempo 9M @ 7:30 to max 7:00 ||
    LSR 16M @ 9:00 to max 8:45 ||

Sessions Completed / On Target / DNS / DNF / Remaining |Session Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    32 / 32 / 05 / 00 / 42 |5.11 / 56.06 / 244.43

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just noticed that 3 days have passed since you last ran and started wondering if today's recovery run was of any actual use?? Would you be better off doing this the day after a tough session (LSR or Intervals) rather than the wait as you run the risk of potentially turning the recovery run into junk miles, i.e. No training benefit??

You may have your reasons but thought I'd ask...

That tempo run looks like it could be tough enough!!

belcarra wrote: »
    Just noticed that 3 days have passed since you last ran and started wondering if today's recovery run was of any actual use?? Would you be better off doing this the day after a tough session (LSR or Intervals) rather than the wait as you run the risk of potentially turning the recovery run into junk miles, i.e. No training benefit??

You may have your reasons but thought I'd ask...

That tempo run looks like it could be tough enough!!

I hear you. Only last week I wrote here: "I realise I'm not really recovering from anything immediate on these runs but they do work as a nice way of easing me into a new week's running."

I've committed to a 4 day running week and I don't want to change that for this plan, I'm genuinely curious to see how I progress. Then the problem is that I have two windows in which I can run - weekend mornings at a respectable hour and weekday mornings at silly time. The weekday mornings I don't want to do anything too hard so the hard work, tempos, intervals, long runs are all done over the weekend. Overall I'd prefer to do two blocks of 2 days running during the week rather than 1 block of 3 days and a standalone day. This rules out tagging a Monday morning recovery run onto the weekend.

I agree with you. It's not ideal but it's the formula that I feel happiest with. I hope my recovery run (or more accurately my recovery pace run) is not junk miles. I generally find that the legs feel better the day after recovery than the day before.

A new earliest run for me hitting the start button at 5:34am. Two layers on top this morning, but no gloves and man did I regret it. After 2 or 3 miles my right hand (bottle hand) was starting to hurt with the cold. Rest of the run I was swapping bottle from hand to hand and making a fist to try warm the free hand. Felt I paced this one well. I was very aware that it was after a 8 mile midweek steady run that I picked up my recent injury and I was determined to stay at 8:2X pace. I felt fine for all 9 miles. To be honest any discomfort I felt was from my cold-numbed hands.

It's nice to run through the dawn. When I started the session there was a hint of light to the east, but looking west it was dark. Each of the 5+ loops I ran was brighter than the last. Traffic getting busier on each loop, street-lamps turning off as I pass underneath. I finish and it's pretty much full daylight.

Struggled to turn the key to get back in home. Couldn't unlace my shoes and my hands hurt in the hot water of the shower. Also got a nosebleed and had to cut stretches short. Often get nosebleeds in cold weather.

So far no late pains or aches in legs.

M01 8:33
    M02 8:27
    M03 8:26
    M04 8:20
    M05 8:22
    M06 8:23
    M07 8:27
    M08 8:21
    M09 8:39

Total 9.06M @ 8:26

Steady 9M @ 8:30 to max 8:00 |9.06| 8:26
    Tempo 9M @ 7:30 to max 7:00 ||

33 / 33 / 05 / 00 / 41 |14.17 / 65.13 / 253.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

outforarun wrote: »
    A new earliest run for me hitting the start button at 5:34am.
    It's nice to run through the dawn. When I started the session there was a hint of light to the east, but looking west it was dark. Each of the 5+ loops I ran was brighter than the last. Traffic getting busier on each loop, street-lamps turning off as I pass underneath. I finish and it's pretty much full daylight.

Struggled to turn the key to get back in home. Couldn't unlace my shoes and my hands hurt in the hot water of the shower. Also got a nosebleed and had to cut stretches short. Often get nosebleeds in cold weather.

Sounds tough, even though the compensation is the dawn. Trouble is, with the clocks going forward, you are going to lose the pleasure for a few weeks. I want to do something similar, 7am on Sat/Sun is no problem but don't have the willpower during the week as I need to be on the road for work at 7am and to fit in a run, shower, etc would mean a pitch black start.

slowsteady wrote: »
    Sounds tough, even though the compensation is the dawn. Trouble is, with the clocks going forward, you are going to lose the pleasure for a few weeks. I want to do something similar, 7am on Sat/Sun is no problem but don't have the willpower during the week as I need to be on the road for work at 7am and to fit in a run, shower, etc would mean a pitch black start.

I don't need to leave for work until 8:15 so I'm lucky in that regard. Gives me time to run, stretch, shower, and then get myself and the little-one ready to go.
    I wouldn't be doing morning runs if I had to head to work at 7am.

Thursday morning's 9 miles and yesterday's 9 miles seemed seasons apart. Felt like a 20 degree swing. Headed out yesterday in just t-shirt and shorts. Trotted across to the Park trying not to dwell too much on the 9 mile tempo task I'd set myself. Get to my usual starting point, reckon that my usual loop of the Park with two laps of the playing fields added on should bring up 9 miles. It does almost spot on but for a few metres. Off I go.

First time I look at watch it reads 6:57 pace. Brakes on. I settle into 7:20 pace and it feels good. First mile is 7:20. I leave Chesterfield and head down the cycle path toward the playing fields, speed picks up here as it's almost all downhill. Mile 2 is a 7:14. faster than I'd intended but the effort felt right. I'd be happy with 7:30 pace overall and I start to keep split times in my head, I'm 26" up already. I'm noticing how hot it is, keeping my hands warm was my biggest concern on my last session, how could that be just two mornings ago? Mile 3 is another 7:20 which puts me 36" up. I feel more tired this morning than I normally do after 3 miles at tempo pace, I reckon it may be the heat, or maybe it's just the thought that I have to manage another 6 miles at this pace. Complete mile 4 again in 7:20. Head up Acres Road into lap 5 which is all uphill. Right ankle twinges for a few paces by the Papal Cross. Head back up Chesterfield and log mile 5 at 7:26 pace. Turn down Ordnance and keep the pace constant. Mile 6 is 7:24 pace. I make a point of checking my 10K time, it's 45:35. I'm pleased with that as part of a 9 mile run. Mile 7 feels tougher than I'd hoped it would be, despite it being the most downhill mile of the loop, 7:26. Legs are tiring a bit now. At the bottom of the hill by the Chapelizod Gate the Garmin reads 7:17 pace. By the time I crest the hill onto Military Road it reads 7:30. It's not easy to hold that pace and mile 8 is the slowest of the morning at 7:31. I catch my breathe a bit heading back down toward the Kyber and then it's a final push up Wellington and complete the loop with a 7:29 lap 9.

I'm pleased with a total pace of 7:24. I had to work for it over the last 3 miles which are normally 'easy' enough. Glad to bank this run, it also confirms to me that a sub 1:15 is long overdue for 10 miles.

Trot back home to bring me over 11 miles for the day.

Warm-up 1.25M @ 9:14

M01 7:20 (+15m)
    M02 7:14 (-14m)
    M03 7:20 (+8m)
    M04 7:20 (-7m)
    M05 7:27 (+21m)
    M06 7:24 (-1m)
    M07 7:26 (-21m)
    M08 7:31 (-5m)
    M09 7:29 (-2m)

Total 9.00M @ 7:24

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/161523294

Warm-down 1.18M @ 9:06

Tempo 9M @ 7:30 to max 7:00 |9.00|7:24

34 / 34 / 05 / 00 / 40 |25.60 / 76.56 / 264.93

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

it also confirms to me that a sub 1:15 is long overdue for 10 miles.
    [/Table]

Been keeping an eye on your log and your more or less knocking out same times as myself. Sub 75 mins will be no bother 2 you over 10 miles.

Where has this weather come from? This is March!

Complete my 40th session (ok I missed 5 with injury), 39 to go. Over half-way there :eek:

Head out just after 9:00. Legs are tired from yesterday. I hope they loosen up over the first few miles otherwise it's going to be a long day. Joined by a mate from work at Heuston. He's running off 3 hours sleep and doesn't feel great. We head up behind the zoo. Settle into a comfortable pace and my legs start to loose the tiredness from yesterday. Mates legs seem to be going the opposite way and it's clear he's not enjoying this. He waits at the Castleknock roundabout while I head up to Castleknock Gate and back. Then we pop over to Farmleigh. gate is shut though so we follow the dirt track that runs along side the wall down to Knockmaroon. Haven't been down here since the HM in 2010. Take the Lower Glen Road back up to my usual loop. Mate has to stop to empty bladder. Then a few 100 yards later he pulls up complaining of pains around bladder. I pause watch for 30 seconds or so. He manages to resume but has to abandon ship at the Chapelizod Gate. That's a nice walk home he has.

I'm on my own. Take a gel at 7 mile. I'd given the gel a slight snip with a scissors before heading out and that really did the trick, took just 10 seconds to open. I tip along arriving back at Wellington and I turn up Chesterfield, Legs feel good, form is good, enjoying the weather even if I would have turned down the temperature a bit if I could. Worried I'm going to be burned after this. Turn at the Phoenix down to the playing fields. There's a girl doing laps here at a fair pace, to my eye looked like 6:00 pace. I leave the fields by the Fort deciding to head up the Kyber. The pace drops but it's not a struggle and before I know it I'm back onto the playing fields. She's still lapping, same pace. I go down Acres Road and rejoin Military Road.

Back around to Wellington and leave the Park. Legs are a bit tired now but I never worry about not maintaining pace. In and around IMMA. The Lower Glen Road seems a long time ago. And home, 16.08 miles in 8:51 pace.

Guzzle down half a litre of Tropicana. I need to get a 750ml water bottle for these longer runs. A good weeks running. No niggles and touchwood legs seem fine.

Next Wednesday and Thursday I'm away with work and I'll be doing a Dolph Lundgren, i.e. running on treadmill in Russia. I've never run on a treadmill before, never been in a gym before. Curious to see if treadmills are as terrible as some people claim they are.

M01 9:08
    M02 8:45
    M03 8:54
    M04 8:45
    M05 8:55 (300M for the year)
    M06 8:59
    M07 8:41
    M08 8:50
    M09 8:41
    M10 8:44
    M11 8:46
    M12 8:56
    M13 8:45
    M14 8:52
    M15 8:47
    M16 8:50

Total 16.08M @ 8:51

Tempo 9M @ 7:30 to max 7:00 |9.00|7:24
    LSR 16M @ 9:00 to max 8:45 |16.08|8:51

35 / 35 / 05 / 00 / 39 |41.69 / 92.65 / 281.01

• Advertisement

Week 11 started on a treadmill in Moscow this morning. My first ever treadmill run. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Thought it was very uncomfortable at first before noticing I wasn't running on my heels! Took me a while to figure out the settings and to figure out if I was running kms or miles. A funny kind of run, starting too slow then ending too fast. Logged 8km in 9:?? pace, but I'm calling it 5 miles because of some messing about at the start. Worked up a decent sweat. I hope to have better run on treadmill tomorrow. But I'll be glad to get back to Phoenix.

Tough enough week ahead to end the build-up phase of training. Looking forward to Sundays 12+6.

Week 11 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to max 9:00 |5.00 | 9:??
    Steady 9M @ 8:30 to max 8:00 ||
    Intervals 5x800 @ 6:45 to max 6:15 with rec 800s @ 8:30 to max 8:00||
    LSR 12M + PMP 6M @ 9:00 to max 8:45 + 8:00 to max 7:50 ||

36 / 36 / 05 / 00 / 38 |5.00 / 97.65 / 286.01

tang1 wrote: »
    Been keeping an eye on your log and your more or less knocking out same times as myself. Sub 75 mins will be no bother 2 you over 10 miles.

Thanks, tang1. I hope you're right. I should get an even better indicator when my tempos peak at 10 miles over the coming weeks.

Haven't had a decent opportunity to update log over the last days. I need to load Garmin details for the weekend's running. I'll update Saturday and Sunday sessions this evening.

Last Thursday morning the bed won and I postponed my steady run until Friday, setting myself up for three consecutive testing runs.

So Friday morning I run my second treadmill session just gone 6am. I get the impression that I take more strides while on the treadmill but the effort seems to be less. Did 14.5 kilometres (9 miles) in 1:16:36, that's 8:30 pace on the button. I definitely sweat more being inside. Watched silent eurosport news looping over and over. Treadmill stopped once I hit the hour mark. Restarted quickly and luckily it kept measuring total distance. Glad to get this one finished and hopefully won't need to go near a treadmill for some time. Again not as bad as I thought it would be, but certainly no subsitution for the Park. Legs feeling fine.

Steady 9M @ 8:30 to max 8:00 |9.00| 8:30
    Intervals 5x800 @ 6:45 to max 6:15 with rec 800s @ 8:30 to max 8:00||

37 / 37 / 05 / 00 / 37 |14.00 / 106.65 / 295.01

Wasn't feeling it during the warm-up over to the playing fields and feared the worse for this one. Set the Garmin to km with autolaps of 800m. Off I go. This is the first time I try to run 5x800, one more than my usual quota. I'm also aware that I've a tough 18 miler planned for Sunday. So I make an effort to keep it handy for the opening intervals. Target pace is 6:15 to 6:45. The first two intervals are 3:19 and 3:20. I'm not as tired as I usually would be at this stage. The third interval is another 3:19. On the 4th interval I must have unconsciously decided I could speed up, I log a 3:13 yet it felt 'easy'. The last interval is the last interval so I keep up the speed and log another 3:13.

I could have added at least another 800m interval to this session so I'm very pleased with how things went. Holding back on the first intervals made the final 2 much easier. Next time out I'll be running 6x800.

In a way it's easier to hold a pace when running metric, the pace fluctuates less on the Garmin.

Warm-up 2.42M @ 9:14

Recovery / Interval
    4:01 (8:06) / 3:19 (6:41)
    4:10 (8:25) / 3:20 (6:44)
    4:10 (8:23) / 3:19 (6:41) (300 miles of marathon training)
    4:09 (8:21) / 3:13 (6:28)
    3:59 (8:01) / 3:13 (6:30)
    Averages
    4:06 (8:15) / 3:17 (6:36)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/164211508

Warm-down 2.18M @ 9:16

Intervals 5x800 @ 6:45 to max 6:15 with rec 800s @ 8:30 to max 8:00|5x800|6:36 with rec 8:15

38 / 38 / 05 / 00 / 36 |23.57 / 116.22 / 304.59

This was the one I was looking forward to all week but dreading at the same time. To make things worse I could feel Friday and Saturday's efforts heavy in my legs. Had plans for the morning so I started this run much later than usual at 13:00.

The planned route was a full lap of the Park including an excursion round Farmleigh plus another lap of the Park with out Farmleigh. Home to park and Park to home would bring up 18 miles.

I'm kind of glad that the bright sunshine of the morning has mostly disappeared when I set out. That said whenever the sun does make an appearance it is welcome. Legs are heav over the opening miles. On mile one I need to dodge some traffic and tweak something in the groin while doing so. Careful. Up behind the zoo and up to the Castleknock Gate. Then back down to Ordnance and I turn into Farmleigh. Lots of traffic today for a Japanese Fair. It's 5 miles to Farmleigh House door to door. Have to pause the watch for a few seconds to negotiate the crowds by the car-park. another 30 second pause when I bump into an ex-colleague of mine. Glad to exit Farmleigh. Head down my the lake around Lower Glen Road. 7 miles as I ascend up past the lake and I take the first of today's gels. Snipped with a scissors earlier so easy to open. I continue to tip around the usual outer loop and hold target pace well. Start into second lap of Park. Re-spot a few runners along the way who are lapping the other way round.

Start anxiously looking at Garmin as I approach the 12 mile mark. Six miles at PMP feels like it's going to be a big ask. Not sure what to expect. Beep. Increase stride and cadence smoothly. The step up in pace feels good, it feels like I expend minimum effort to increase pace into 7:5X. Now lets see how I get on holding it. I'm determined to stay at 7:5X. I see this as pace training for marathon day. First two miles are fine: 7:51 and 7:53. Admittedly the miles are mostly downhill. On Upper Glen Road I take gel number two and pretty much finish my water. Two gels are ok to carry in my pocket, need to decide how I'll carry three on race day. Third PMP mile is another 7:51. I feel ok. Energy levels feel good. The legs do feel tired but I remind myself that I'm carrying yesterday's intervals and Friday's 9 mile treadmill run. I find that if I don't concentrate the pace slips to 8:0X. So every so often I need to push a bit. I'm not in a comfort zone. The last three miles are progressively faster: 7:55, 7:52 and 7:50. And I'm home.

Happy that my breathing is fine. Happy that I could have continued at 7:5X for a while longer. Happy with my pacing. Happy that stomach dealt ok with two gels. I'd had a bowl of porridge and a croissant in the morning. Happy that I've added these LSR/PMP runs into my schedule, apart from the fact that they are an enjoyable challenge, they do give me some confidence in PMP pace. Remind myself however that 5 of the 6 miles were net downhill, though they did see me up from Chapelizod, up around the S-bends, up Wellington and a net ascent of 11ms on the final mile.

Welcome step-back week now before peak training begins.

M01 8:45
    M02 8:36
    M03 8:50
    M04 8:46
    M05 8:55
    M06 8:39
    M07 8:50
    M08 8:51
    M09 8:44
    M10 8:45
    M11 8:36
    M12 8:52
    M13 7:51 (-1m)
    M14 7:53 (-12m)
    M15 7:51 (-23m)
    M16 7:55 (-2m)
    M17 7:52 (-14m)
    M18 7:50 (+11m)

Total 18.07 @ 8:28
    (12M @ 8:46 + 6M @ 7:52)

Intervals 5x800 @ 6:45 to max 6:15 with rec 800s @ 8:30 to max 8:00|5x800|6:36 with rec 8:15
    LSR 12M + PMP 6M @ 9:00 to max 8:45 + 8:00 to max 7:50 |18.07|12M @ 8:46 + 6M @ 7:52

39 / 39 / 05 / 00 / 35 |41.64 / 18.07 / 322.66

Was a single Dad for a bit this weekend which means that this week's running consists of a 4 day block. Day 1 started just gone 6 this morning. This is the first time I've run on the road at this hour since the clocks changed and I wasn't expecting it to be as dark as it was. It was tough to get up and out.

5 cold hand miles. The legs are fine, some minor feedback from both ankles but nothing out of the ordinary.

Tomorrow a rarity; an evening run.

M01 9:35
    M02 9:02
    M03 9:06
    M04 9:13
    M05 9:09

Total 5.11M @ 9:14

Week 12 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to max 9:00 |5.11| 9:14
    Steady 5M @ 8:30 to max 8:00 ||
    Tempo 6M @ 7:30 to max 7:00||
    LSR 10M @ 9:00 to max 8:45||

40 / 40 / 05 / 00 / 34 |5.11 / 23.17 / 327.76

This evening 5 miles at 8:23 pace felt tougher than the last 6 miles at 7:52 pace from Sunday's 18 miler. The reason I think is easy, I was up this morning on an airport run at 4:45 having grabbed maybe 3 hours of sleep. Was in the office for 7:15am and didn't get out until 18:45. I really didn't fancy this one. Glad in the end I went out and glad to see the back of this one. No specific tweaks or twinges just generally the legs weren't up for it. One of those runs where I'm thinking 26.2 miles at 7:5X pace, yeah right.

Going to head to bed shortly. Hoping that a full 8 hours will put me right for the morning's fast 6 miler.

M01 8:07
    M02 8:33
    M03 8:25
    M04 8:20
    M05 8:30

Total 5.06M @ 8:23

Steady 5M @ 8:30 to max 8:00 |5.06| 8:23
    Tempo 6M @ 7:30 to max 7:00||

41 / 41 / 05 / 00 / 33 |10.16 / 28.23 / 332.82

What a difference 8 hours sleep can make.

Felt refreshed when I woke, despite a slightly sore throat. Legs felt ok but I was still bracing myself for a difficult morning's work. Trotted over to Phoenix picking up a mate on the way. He runs slower than I do but fancied a workout this morning. He knows the 6 mile route I do so the idea was that he would stick with me to the Phoenix and then I'd do my little Papal Cross loop while he continued around the main loop at his own pace.

This plan did me a favour and ensured that I didn't hare off on the first mile. A controlled 7:28. We part ways at the Phoenix. I notice my pace increasing almost immediately :rolleyes:. Round and back up Chesterfield. Mile 2 logs at 7:12. Now normally I start to feel the ascent in the legs on mile 3, today not so, I still feel fresh. It doesn't feel like I'm running fast but each time I glance at the Garmin it's telling me 7:0X. Running through the Madhatter's to the sound of 'Right-on-time, R-r-right-on time'. I take this as a good omen. Miles 3 and 4 today (7:08 and 7:09) are the two most comfortable miles I have ever run at this pace. When the sun comes out it's gorgeous, enjoying this run. I have to overtake a group of 4 runners as they go up the hill after Chapelizod so the pace is still strong. Catch-up with my mate as we enter the S-bends. I thought I'd catch him sooner, and he expected to see me sooner as well. I push on, see you in a while. Mile 5 is 7:12, and without feeling like I was really pushing mile 6 logs at 7:15. That's 6 miles in 43:27, 7:14 pace. This felt much easier than I'd expected. Mate arrives only about 2 minutes later, well pleased with his own run, which involved running through a stitch at one point.

I must aim to get more sleep.

Warm-up 1.27M @ 9:12

M01 7:28 (+15m)
    M02 7:12 (+7m)
    M03 7:08 (+1m)
    M04 7:09 (-21m)
    M05 7:12 (-6m)
    M06 7:15 (+3m)

Total 6.00M @ 7:14

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/165527503

Warm-down 1.19M @ 9:08

Tempo 6M @ 7:30 to max 7:00|6.00| 7:14

42 / 42 / 05 / 00 / 32 |18.63 / 36.69 / 341.28

Legs were really tired and stiff for the first few miles this morning. I haven't run four consecutive days in a while. It was only after mile three when I'd left Chesterfield behind did I start to settle into this one. Overcast, grey and breezy and not a lot of other runners out this morning. Happy to finish this one. Legs have been fine since, glad of a rest day tomorrow.

So today's run closes the 12 week build-up stage of training. Overall I'm happy with progress to date. Sorry to have missed 5 sessions (which included Ballycotton) with injury. Happy to have made pacing adjustments to try avoid a repeat injury. I'm happy that I'm now 'comfortable' at sub 7:30 pace. Last weeks 18 miler with last 6 miles at PMP served as a nice confidence booster.
    Still have a lot of work to do and it begins next week. Sunday the first 20 miler.

M01 8:50
    M02 8:41
    M03 8:49
    M04 8:53
    M05 8:47
    M06 8:45
    M07 8:51
    M08 8:47
    M09 8:43
    M10 8:45

Total 10.14M @ 8:47

Tempo 6M @ 7:30 to max 7:00|6.00| 7:14
    LSR 10M @ 9:00 to max 8:45|10.14| 8:47

43 / 43 / 05 / 00 / 31 |28.77 / 46.83 / 351.42

First week of a 5 week block of peak training began this morning in Milan.
    When I started the run it was hazy and breezy and I was glad I'd packed my long-sleeve running jacket. Then in the space of 10 minutes the sun burned through the haze and it was suddenly very warm. Ran my usual Milan circuit which is nearly snooker table flat. Knees were giving a little bit of feedback at the start, but by the end of the run they'd quietened down and my legs felt much better than before the run. Touch and go moment when stretching when one of those tiny excuses of a dog starts yapping and dancing round my ankles. At least it's owner apologized.

I've attached a slightly revised plan. I've decided to swap the 10 mile tempo sessions with my 6x800 interval sessions. This way I do an interval session the day before I do my 20 milers. I find that while intervals can be tough on the lungs, they don't seem as tough as on the legs as a constant long tempo run. Especially as I won't be going flat out during my intervals, I'll be keeping them between 6:15 and 6:45 pace. The recent 18 miler I did (with the last 6 miles at PMP) was I feel a successful session and was done 24 hours after an interval session. I've also distributed 3 extra miles across by step-back weeks during peak training.

M01 9:04
    M02 9:08
    M03 8:59
    M04 9:06
    M05 9:04

Total 5.01M @ 9:05

Week 13 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to 9:00 |5.01| 9:05
    Steady 10M @ 8:30 to 8:00 ||
    Intervals 6x800 @ 6:45 to 6:15 with recovery 800s at 8:30 to 8:00||
    LSR 20M @ 9:00 to 8:45||

44 / 44 / 05 / 00 / 30 |5.01 / 51.85 / 356.43

• Advertisement

Intervals 6x800 @ 6:45 to 6:15 with recovery 800s at 8:30 to 8:00
    Not sure about the 800m recovery period for these sessions. They seem too long. I know you want to maintain some energy for the LSR the next day but you may end up only 'half doing' the interval sessions?
    Would you be better off doing the recovery run from 50%-90% of the time taken to do the interval itself (as P&D state)?

Also, the recovery speed itself may be a little fast...I would normally fall into actual recovery run pace for these portions so as the HR can properly fall back down to a reasonable level before the next Interval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

belcarra wrote: »
    Intervals 6x800 @ 6:45 to 6:15 with recovery 800s at 8:30 to 8:00
    Not sure about the 800m recovery period for these sessions. They seem too long. I know you want to maintain some energy for the LSR the next day but you may end up only 'half doing' the interval sessions?
    Would you be better off doing the recovery run from 50%-90% of the time taken to do the interval itself (as P&D state)?

Also, the recovery speed itself may be a little fast...I would normally fall into actual recovery run pace for these portions so as the HR can properly fall back down to a reasonable level before the next Interval.

+1 on this. My new coach has me doing only 200m recovery on 800's :eek: but the standard would be 50% of the interval time.
    Also i agree that the pace of the recovery is irrelevant, you should be going as slow as you need to. The object of these sessions is to run the intervals as fast as possible. The pace on the recoveries should therefore be very slow.

Belcarra Menoscemo

Thanks guys for the comments regarding my interval sessions.

I've always been very aware that mine aren't standard interval sessions. I blame the forerunner 110, I can't set up a standard interval session with it and I don't have a track handy on which to run a standard interval session. So it just seemed easy to set the watch to 800m laps and run with the beeps. I hoped I could 'get away with' this invention. The recovery time is longer than a standard recovery time I know but as Belcarra mentions I don't run it very slow and I think by the end of a 'recovery' 800 the heart-rate is recovered and ready for the next interval.

I hear what you're saying and I'm not challenging it. With my non-standard approach to intervals, what benefit do you think I could be losing out on? Even though it is non-standard I like to think that there is validity in my approach, with it:
    • my lungs are given a good workout, I feel my breathing on these sessions more than any other session.
    • I feel 'recovered' at the end of a recovery 800
    • I note improvement from session to session: i.e, my fast 800s get faster and my recovery 800s also get faster as in I feel 'recovered' more quickly. I think this last point is important no?
    I reckon as soon as I upgrade Garmin I will attempt standard interval sessions and then I'll have something to compare my non-standard intervals against.

Thought I might have to upgrade earlier than planned today after a heavy rain 10 miler. Details to follow this evening.

B
    • my lungs are given a good workout, I feel my breathing on these sessions more than any other session.
    • I feel 'recovered' at the end of a recovery 800
    • I note improvement from session to session: i.e, my fast 800s get faster and my recovery 800s also get faster as in I feel 'recovered' more quickly. I think this last point is important no?
    I reckon as soon as I upgrade Garmin I will attempt standard interval sessions and then I'll have something to compare my non-standard intervals against.

The idea is to stimulate race conditions without doing the race. By doing shorter recoveries you teach your heart to recover quicker (in terms of Heart rate), but at the same stage you aren't giving the legs a chance to completely rid themselves of lactic acid. Running on tired, lactic filled legs is what you will have to do in the race afterall. Since you are doing your recovery 800m Jogs slower than the intervals, you are actually getting about 130% recovery in terms of time. This is way too much. Compenasting by giving making yourself do the recoveries faster is just going about it arseways IMO.

Have you got a 800m distance marked out? You'd be better off just hitting the lap button manually at the start/finish of each 800m interval. Give yourself a 1-2 min jog recovery (either jogging or walking) and get back to the end point of the last interval, hit 'lap' again and do the 800m backwards.

In my club the lads just take 1min breathers at the end of each interval. so you reach the end. stop the watch. take 1 minute and run back.

Either the short rest or 50% of interval time jog/walk would be more effective ways for you to do those sessions.

menoscemo wrote: »
    By doing shorter recoveries you teach your heart to recover quicker (in terms of Heart rate), but at the same stage you aren't giving the legs a chance to completely rid themselves of lactic acid.

Ok that makes sense when you seperate leg recovery from heart recovery. I don't have an 800 metre distance marked out, but in fairness it shouldn't be difficult to do. The park in Milan where I'm running this week has straights that I'm sure are longer than 800ms. I'll choose a starting point (rubbish-bin, lamp-post, whatever) run 800 and leave down some sort of marker. Then try what you're suggesting, manual lap button and say 90 seconds jog/walk before running back from the marker. This would be easy to do at the playing fields in Phoenix as well, the non-Kyber side is a straight run greater than 800ms.
    you are actually getting about 130% recovery in terms of time. This is way too much. Compenasting by giving making yourself do the recoveries faster is just going about it arseways IMO.

not so much making myself do the recoveries faster as finding I'm able to do them faster, i.e. getting my breathe back without having to run the 800 as slow. Arseways maybe, but still going about it? Say over a period of time I do 10 sessions of my non-standard intervals. On session 1 my average fast-interval is 3:20 and my average recovery interval is 8:25, by session 5 they've become 3:10 and 8:15 and by session 10 they read 3:00 and 8:05. Surely this is progress and would be beneficial in a race environment?

I'm curious and I'm going to try a standard interval session this week. I suspect I'll find it's tougher than my own interval sessions. Belcarra made the valid point that I want to maintain some energy for the LSR the day after. I'll see how I feel on my 20 miler. Based on that I may revert to my own intervals next time out. I've mentioned a few times in this log that the logistics of my running week aren't ideal and I find myself doing speedwork on Saturdays and endurance work on Sundays. I might be sacrificing the benefits of a pure interval session, but by doing my 'softer' intervals (and provided that I'm seeing improvement in the interval times, fast and recovery) maybe I'm allowing my speedwork and endurance sit more comfortably together?

not so much making myself do the recoveries faster as finding I'm able to do them faster, i.e. getting my breathe back without having to run the 800 as slow. Arseways maybe, but still going about it? Say over a period of time I do 10 sessions of my non-standard intervals. On session 1 my average fast-interval is 3:20 and my average recovery interval is 8:25, by session 5 they've become 3:10 and 8:15 and by session 10 they read 3:00 and 8:05. Surely this is progress and would be beneficial in a race environment?

I'm curious and I'm going to try a standard interval session this week. I suspect I'll find it's tougher than my own interval sessions. Belcarra made the valid point that I want to maintain some energy for the LSR the day after. I'll see how I feel on my 20 miler. Based on that I may revert to my own intervals next time out. I've mentioned a few times in this log that the logistics of my running week aren't ideal and I find myself doing speedwork on Saturdays and endurance work on Sundays. I might be sacrificing the benefits of a pure interval session, but by doing my 'softer' intervals (and provided that I'm seeing improvement in the interval times, fast and recovery) maybe I'm allowing my speedwork and endurance sit more comfortably together?

Look, I'm far from an expert you're questions are too complicated :pac:

I just don't see the benefit of guaging fitness in terms of the speed of your recovery jogs when you are taking 130% recoveries.

Yes it is much tougher to do the intervals when the recoveries are shorter. But the point of these sessions is that they are hard and that you run the intervals as fast as possible.

I am sure you are getting some benefit from your strategy but not as much as you could be getting if you did them in a standard fashion.

BTW The intervals don't have to be exactly 800m. You could just find a flat loop and do them as time. e.g 3 minutes hard, 90 seconds easy x 6. You can still judge the pace of the hard sections when you upload your data.

I think you should maybe ask one of the more expert guys (e.coli etc) to give you some more solid advice.

Session 50 already :eek:

Dawdled this morning. Looking out the window at relentless bucketloads of water falling from the heavens. I've had a sore throat and cough for the last few days - this is really going to help me get over that.

Zip up and head out. Settle into a pace that's faster end of my steady range. I think it's just me wanting to get in out of the rain. Normally I'm a fan of wet running but this is just silly this morning. Rain where you know that after a less than a mile you'll be as wet as you could possibly be. For half of each loop I'm running into a strong wet wind, t-shirt and zip-top are stuck to my chest. Fair bit of hacking and spitting as I complete the loops. On a positive side my legs feel good. If I compare this to last week's 5 miles steady (admittedly I'd much more sleep today) it felt much easier running twice the distance and a bit faster.

At the start of mile 9 I notice the display of my Garmin has almost completely faded. I tuck it under my sleeve and run the last two miles mostly blind. When I finish the run the display looks good again. However the store button isn't responding. Great. After my shower I manage to store the run details. An hour or so later and the watch looks to be in some trouble. The light is permanently on and the display is a mad mish-mash of details. Great. I leave it dry for a few hours but when I connect to PC the device I'm told has malfunctioned. Al the same the display shows the charging bar. After about an hour of charging I successfully find the device and manage to load run details. Seems like the charging brought it back to life. It's been switched off and sitting in a bowl of rice since this afternoon. Hopefully it'll be back in action proper tomorrow.

M01 8:12
    M02 8:23
    M03 8:10
    M04 8:10
    M05 8:11
    M06 8:15
    M07 8:12
    M08 8:10
    M09 8:20
    M10 8:15

Total 10.07 @ 8:14

Week 13 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:30 to 9:00 |5.01| 9:05
    Steady 10M @ 8:30 to 8:00 |10.07| 8:14
    Intervals 6x800 @ 6:45 to 6:15 with recovery 800s at 8:30 to 8:00||
    LSR 20M @ 9:00 to 8:45||

45 / 45 / 05 / 00 / 29 |15.08 / 61.92 / 366.51

Look, I'm far from an expert you're questions are too complicated :pac:

I am sure you are getting some benefit from your strategy but not as much as you could be getting if you did them in a standard fashion.

I think you should maybe ask one of the more expert guys (e.coli etc) to give you some more solid advice.

You may not be an expert but you're definitely meno scemo than me ;)

I've had second thoughts, just entering peak training so I'm going to stick with my intervals till the end of this training plan. I'm a bit wary of making this change at this point. I do think I am getting benefit from these sessions maybe mostly in the fact that it allows me get speedwork done without jeopardising a long run that follows in 24 hours.

Going to wait till after Cork before I try standard interval sessions. Probably will do it like you suggest 3 mins fast then 90 seconds recovery. Or maybe I could just set the Garmin to 400m laps and do two fast then one recovery. I'll see.

I think the important thing is to keep the easy days easy and the hard days hard - No room for much in between.
    I agree you might be better off sticking to your guns til Cork and then maybe try something different for the next training cycle.

Regarding the intervals though...not sure I understand the issues with the interval distances...
    I just hit the lap button to start the interval, keep an eye on the distance and hit it again when I finish. Then jog slowly until the timer has ticked away to my full recovery time and go again for my next interval...

e.g. for 800m intervals:
    Hit Lap @ start, run for 800m (approx 3:10), hit lap again to clock the interval data. Then jog out and back so that my recovery time elapsed is 2:40 (85% of interval time (3:10)). Then repeat for the second interval and so on...
    N.B. The 2:40 recovery time could be any value between 50% and 90% of interval time.
    Perhaps I'm missing out on something?

• Advertisement

The forerunner 110 shows current total time. So the first part is easy, hit stop when I see distance 0.80. Then if I want say a 90 second recovery I'd need to add 80 seconds to the next time I see on the Garmin (total time is invisible for 10 seconds after lapping). This might be doable for one or two intervals but I just know I'd be be twisted silly trying to remember when to press the lap button after 4 or more intervals.

You registered for Cork yet? Only 54 days to go :eek:

Advertisement