Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You know what the bubonic plague was? You know why it spread so fast? Because superstitious Christians used to kill cats, which led to a massive increase in rat populations. These rats were everywhere and spread the plague like wildfire. Want to reconsider your statement?

Dogs hunt rats, rats will fight cats. I don't know where the idea of country people hating cats came from for some people here, but traditionally having a cat or cats around the house would be of obvious use in minimising the mouse population. Just silliness from a load of townies tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't dislike cats, but I prefer dogs. The main reason I've grown to not like cats so much is because people think it's ok to let them roam, and I wind up with a cat sitting on my back wall at 3am staring at my dogs and winding them up so they bark, but it's the dogs that the neighbours get píssed off at.

Just keep your cat indoors, or in your garden, so it doesn't wind up my dogs and shít in my garden and we'll all get along famously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Kiera wrote: »
    I'm 31, of course i have.

And how did you get on?:confused:

You had said you had a hatred of the beautiful furry silky coated creatures, I think you should go to a self-help club for felinephobia or maybe talk to one to see how you get on? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Can't say I mind cats...

Kittens are cute too - one was abandoned by its mother recently next door to me (strays we believe) while the other kitten was taken away. Neighbour was away so I had to keep hopping over the wall with milk. Looked suspicious but didn't want it to die.

It's disappeared now but hopefully better off.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Dogs hunt rats, rats will fight cats. I don't know where the idea of country people hating cats came from for some people here, but traditionally having a cat or cats around the house would be of obvious use in minimising the mouse population. Just silliness from a load of townies tbh.

I used to live in Phibsboro and my cat would bring in dead baby rats every once in a while. Cats might have problems with full grown rats but they'll kill a baby/juvenile no problem. Plus cat urine is usually enough to scare off most rats. Also, cats usually spend most of their time (if not all of their time) outside, dogs are usually stuck in the house or attached to a lead/chain or stuck behind a fence.

• Advertisement

Crosáidí wrote: »
    I dislike Cats cause i feel they're disloyal

Theres a stray cat on the road and the fúcking thing is fearless would sit in the middle of the road and stare you down, even after beeping and him and revving the engine he still doesn't budge

Have you ever thought that the cat might be deaf? A fair few cats are, they have a hard life. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Got to love pussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

You know what the bubonic plague was? You know why it spread so fast? Because superstitious Christians used to kill cats, which led to a massive increase in rat populations. These rats were everywhere and spread the plague like wildfire. Want to reconsider your statement?

In my experience certain breeds of dogs make better rat killers. I like cats , I do not hate them but to suggest that they are more valuable or useful than dogs is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Earthhorse wrote: »
    How many hamsters do you see sat with a homeless person?

Yet, they are not reviled in the way cats often are.

Case re-opened.

Newly liberated Hamsters don't survive long enough in the Irish urban environment to befriend a sherry addled wino who would probably only accuse it of being a thieving pixie.

But what are the key factors in play here when we consider the arduous and treacherous plight of freshly emancipated Hamsters in Ireland?And where do we stand in Europe in terms of Freeagent Hamster welfare standard.

Orla Guerin has this report................

" After escaping from a North Co Dublin Pet Shop,Nibbles McNulty and 11 of his friends thought the world was their oyster.They were soon to find out it was more like a shark infested reef.
    Because their escape was delayed they were forced to negotiate the bustling streets of Malahide at morning rush hour.Dubarry soles and Gucci heels reigned down like archer hail.Three of the Hamsters didn't even live long enough to see the other side of Main St Malahide.No passers by stopped to help,one going as far as running down the street screaming "rat rat" hysterically."

* I'm leaving out most of the rest because it's too disturbing.But the end is rather poignant and needs to be read.

"Finally,after an odyssey to belittle both Joyce and Homer, Nibbles the only survivor of the original "Fuzzy Dozen" stepped off a DART at Tara St,and boldly strode into the roaring canyons of Dublin City.

That night he slept in Merrion Sq where he befriended a homeless many called Rashers McGinty who looked suspiciously like John Delaney of the FAI.McGinty rented out his left coat pocket to Nibbles for a fair rate and it seemed like the sky was limit.

When McGinty awoke the next morning Nibbles was dead, slain in the dead of night by a cat from Hatch street known only as Tiddles.

Today in Ireland there are some Hamsters who have made it and now live with a homeless person, but most are afraid to give their story.The sheer danger of the world and the nemesis of cats prowling it means that for now they feel safer if not content with hiding in the shadows."

I hope this explains things a bit better for you.Your simple logic is...., well .... too simple.Understand,research, then comment.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't think some people understand that being a companion is the main purpose of a pet sometimes. Would you abondon your friends if they didn't have something you could use them for?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't think some people understand that being a companion is the main purpose of a pet sometimes. Would you abondon your friends if they didn't have something you could use them for?
    If my friends only showed up at my house for food I'd show the the door pdq. Any 'outdoor' cats I've known treat the house like a hotel.

I also find it hilariously annoying that the very same people who claim that it's cruel to keep a cat indoors also claim it's cruel for a dog to sleep outdoors. Double standard, or what?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

kylith wrote: »
    If my friends only showed up at my house for food I'd show the the door pdq. Any 'outdoor' cats I've known treat the house like a hotel.
    My cats are "outdoor cats" but spend loads of time inside, usually wake up to one of them asleep beside me in bed.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I hope this explains things a bit better for you.Your simple logic is...., well .... too simple.Understand,research, then comment.

Yes, your made up, bullshit argument helped clarify everything, thanks for posting it. You see, the points is that the facts that cats don't shack up with homeless people is no reason to revile them. Substitute rats, snakes or whatever domestic pets would survive outside the home if it helps explain things a bit better for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Cats rock:

They're far more affectionate than people believe

It's great when they piss all over the garden of annoying neighbours.

They provide an endless source of mirth when they chase female householders all over the place with dismembered rodents

And if I die in the house and she eats my face off, what of it? What kind of dopey craven animal would ignore a perfectly edible corpse out of loyalty to a dead person?

Cats rock.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I also find it hilariously annoying that the very same people who claim that it's cruel to keep a cat indoors also claim it's cruel for a dog to sleep outdoors. Double standard, or what?

I suspect that people who don't keep their cat exclusively indoors still let it inside for food and shelter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

gurramok wrote: »
    And how did you get on?:confused:

You had said you had a hatred of the beautiful furry silky coated creatures, I think you should go to a self-help club for felinephobia or maybe talk to one to see how you get on? ;)

I think i'll give it a miss and keep my own opinion. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Catflaps solve that problem .

This thread might be a resurrection of the quote to newcomers '' what's your preference , cats or dogs '' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Well, cats are nocturnal so it's pretty normal to let them out at night.

gurramok wrote: »
    Have you ever thought that the cat might be deaf? A fair few cats are, they have a hard life. :mad:

Blind and stooooopid also perhaps?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I dislike cats, not hate, just dislike. I've always been a dog person, I prefer the affection I can get from a dog to a cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Cat burglers don't just steal cats...

Kiera wrote: »
    I think i'll give it a miss and keep my own opinion. ;)

Don't be shy, try meet a few cats to help yourself show the love.
    Blind and stooooopid also perhaps?

Don't think so. You wait on their permission to drive your car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

cats=cooler than dogs.
    why?
    1. cats do what they want to do, dogs are silly, they do what the owner wants them to do. Idiots. Okay, friendly idiots.
    2. they are independent. You don't have to go shoveling **** off the streets. You don't have to bring them out for ****s.
    3. They are much cleaner than dogs. They clean their fur everyday and are much less likely to get disgusting germs into their bodies, like dogs (the animals who like to roll around in mud and **** all day long)
    4. They have style. A dog is like a big mess. A cat is slick and does what the fcuk it wants to do.

Cats>Dogs

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yes, your made up, bullshit argument helped clarify everything, thanks for posting it. You see, the points is that the facts that cats don't shack up with homeless people is no reason to revile them. Substitute rats, snakes or whatever domestic pets would survive outside the home if it helps explain things a bit better for you.

Hey, I'm just representing for the hamsters out there.We do people rvile hamsters.Why are they the butt of every joke?Cats do alright for themselves.

I saw a homeless guy with a pet bird before.A wild one that had been tamed somehow.Not sure what type but it was greenish brown with a black beak and pretty small, like a robin.

Cats dogs and birds are probably the only realistic pets for an urban homeless person.
    Birds are generally to wild and cats just aren't into it.
    Dogs on the other hand are up for whatever and are the most likely pet to be able to help/defend you if you need it.They are your friend.Cats are more like Creditors that actually haven't given you any money but nonetheless expect payment.

newmug wrote: »
    Where do you live? Its probably just a problem in your area. I havent seen a stray dog on the roads in all the 2000's.

Not sure if it would be wise to reply to that publicly. Suffice to say if it'll kill a bunny, it'll kill a pussy;)

Would you prefer 177 lollipops or 22 lollipops if say, you were going to ......... a lollipop festival or something?;)

Or would u bring "skittles"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I love peeling a cat off the wheel of my car

Devil08 wrote: »
    I love peeling a cat off the wheel of my car
    Even more than sticking him to the tyre in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I love my kitties. Biggest reason at the minute; they come ready house trained. Nerves are almost shot training our new puppy (shes lucky shes cute).

Charlie and Lola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Woof. WOOF!! Grrrr...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I love my kitties.

Charlie and Lola

They would look nice in a cage with a python snake..

Advertisement