Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

gbee wrote: »
    But will kill your garden birds what you've been feeding for decades.

Admittedly this is not on as - unlike cats - the quantifiable contribution that the robin and blue-tit have made to human society down the millennia is immeasurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Yes, cats are durty and aloof! But this is not enough to make me hate 'em. You can not deny that cats are gorgeous, cool and well, worthwhile pets!

However! I leave it to others more patient and enlightened than me to herd cats! Becauase cats are naughty! Yes! and bloomin well infuriatin' creatures!

But thats the POINT! They're cats! They were sent tp thwart us humans! If you dont get that, then you dont get cats!

I like cats (from afar!!!!:P)

AND

I also love dogs!

HOW? can it be that some people think to love one is to hate the other?

I love CATS AND DOGS !!!

So THERE haters!!! :mad::pac::pac::pac::pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I hate cats their sly and disloyal
    I'm a dog lover maybe its the way I was brought up my whole family hates cats.I would never harm them ever

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

kylith wrote: »
    They're actually crepsicular (sp?) which means that they're active at dawn and dusk which is exactly when you're supposed to keep them in so that they don't decimate the local fauna.

Fair enough, but your original point was about a double standard, not fauna, so it's not a double standard really, because the cat will do quite well for himself outside.
    Cars are useless.
    Case re-closed, nails put in and buried somewhere you can's find it.
    (Unless you have a dog)

Cars are vehicles, not animals.

Case re-re-opened due to the incompetent re-closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Curse my voluptuous digits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Its sickening the amount of people I know who believe its ok to be cruel towards cats.

Personally I love cats. They are soft, warm, furry and not smelly.

"ah sure its only a cat" is the usual response when someone tells a "hilarious" story about cruelty towards cats:mad:

People need to realise that cats feel pain too and its unacceptable to be cruel towards any animal. The local SPCA in my area have dealt with unbelieveable forms of cruelty, one cat was actually nailed to a pole. There are horrible horrifing stories about cats being thrown onto bonfires etc.

I dont understand why there is such a patalogical hatred of cats in this country but there is! It needs to end.

Its sickening the amount of people I know who believe its ok to be cruel towards cats.

Personally I love cats. They are soft, warm, furry and not smelly.

"ah sure its only a cat" is the usual response when someone tells a "hilarious" story about cruelty towards cats:mad:

People need to realise that cats feel pain too and its unacceptable to be cruel towards any animal. The local SPCA in my area have dealt with unbelieveable forms of cruelty, one cat was actually nailed to a pole. There are horrible horrifing stories about cats being thrown onto bonfires etc.

I dont understand why there is such a patalogical hatred of cats in this country but there is! It needs to end.
    Their piss and ****e smells putrid.
    They shed everywhere and continually.
    They wreck everything.
    They serve no purpose.

They killed Tommy in trainspotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The main problem with cats is the horrible smell that Tom cats can leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

ScumLord wrote: »
    If you neuter them young then they don't spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Their piss and ****e smells putrid.
    They shed everywhere and continually.
    They wreck everything.
    They serve no purpose.

They killed Tommy in trainspotting.
    Dogs are like that too.

• Advertisement

Teutorix wrote: »
    Dogs are like that too.
    I mostly hate them because of the Tommy thing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

newmug wrote: »
    I only ever shot a dog once, to put him down. Cant remember the last time I saw a stray dog, its fairly rare. Dogs stay with their owners.

6500 stray dogs were killed in the Pounds last year - you must be blind !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Discodog wrote: »
    6500 stray dogs were killed in the Pounds last year - you must be blind !
    Not really strays when they were abandoned. Dogs dont stray, they get abandoned and thats sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

I guess I could tolerate a pet cat

If I bought it from a Taxidermist.

But seriously folks, anyone out there ever eat cat on your travels?If so, and you thought it was OK would you,noting the pestilent proliferation of these snidey conniving beasts in Ireland, consider eating them here.

Perfect for the BBQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Keptic

Yes, cats are durty
    Maybe I haven't seen a lot, but in fairness I have never ever seen a cat eating it's own sh*t, licking other cat's knob or shagging another male cat up the bum - as opposed to dogs.

Keptic wrote: »
    Maybe I haven't seen a lot, but in fairness I have never ever seen a cat eating it's own sh*t, licking other cat's knob or shagging another male cat up the bum - as opposed to dogs.

Me neither.I've seen plenty of people do those things though.Most of them were probably cat owners

I shot a cat in Marino
    Just to watch him die.

I shot a cat in Marino
    Just to watch him die.

Well done Johnny Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If they are locked in a house by accident, you may need to sell out or get a fumigation team.

They are aloof and independent. I think we like animals to be submissive and obedient, not to act like a smart arse who thinks they're cleverer than you.

Possibly a throwback to a bygone age when animals were seen purely as paychecks and or had to serve a purpose. I know a guy from a farming background who still thinks the idea of keeping an animal about the house, purely as a pet, is a completely crazy idea! If they arent going for slaughter, or chasing sheep around a field for ya, they are a waste of time. Cats would fit this bill bigtime!

I like cats myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I shot a cat in Marino
    Just to watch him die.

Did you feel matcho after it considering you just killed the pussy?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

OisinT wrote: »
    If you neuter them young then they don't spray.
    Not really an option for everyone else that doesn't have cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Keptic

Me neither.I've seen plenty of people do those things though.Most of them were probably cat owners
    Based on commonly known cat:dog lovers ratio (of which you seem to be a perfect example) and spiced with concept known as a "probability theory" your logic simply and utterly fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ScumLord wrote: »

better than the smell of a stoner after a tom pisses on his corpse

Tigger wrote: »
    better than the smell of a stoner after a tom pisses on his corpse

What have you against blokes?:mad: We have rights too ya know! :mad: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A lot of people on this thread clearly do not have the foggiest notion of what they're talking about. But it's AH...

gurramok wrote: »
    What have you against blokes?:mad: We have rights too ya know! :mad: ;)

i'm a bloke?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Dudess wrote: »
    A lot of people on this thread clearly do not have the foggiest notion of what they're talking about. But it's AH...

Yes. so familair AH where half of the superior in-crowd clique look down on the other half of red top reading, philistine hoardes.

Business as usual in AH indeed :rolleyes:

Tigger wrote: »
    i'm a bloke?

Maybe, maybe not. What you said is discriminatory against blokes feline or human!

Since when did male piss stink? :eek: :mad:

no :
    dead stoner stinks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yes. so familair AH where half of the superior in-crowd clique look down on the other half of red top reading, philistine hoardes.

Business as usual in AH indeed :rolleyes:
    The clique/in-crowd stuff is all in your head, and I stand by what I said: there are plain mistruths being spouted here about cats - there's no viewing anyone as a philistine by me.

Advertisement