Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking to be made illegal while driving??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Bonito wrote: »
    Sorry but this post is doing my tits in. The OP's thread title clearly shows he's asking is it true. That's why there's a god damn fúcking question mark in the title.

Go back and read the 1st post and stop trying to make yourself look intellectually superior 'cause you're having the absolute opposite effect.

The OP implied nothing but asked something. Fact. End of.

Now now, no need to be hostile.. My first post on the topic stated where the source of this had probably come from. In no way was my post making me seem intellectually superior. If it did Bonito maybe you have an inferiority complex or something.. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

absolute bullsiht. I fcuking hate this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Sean^DCT4 wrote: »
    haha.. This is a complete mis-interpretation. Apparently, and I quote, this was discussed on The Adrian Kennedy Phone Show last night.

Where you got the government from I don't know.. Anyway, let's face it the government will not and could not enforce a law like this.
    If you had bothered to listen to the topic on the radio you would not have originally implied that the government were planning on introducing this.

Also, the thread title "Smoking to be made illegal..??" definitely implies that you, the OP, are implying that the government are planning on legalising this.

Topic and thread fail. lol :pac:
    Now now, no need to be hostile.. My first post on the topic stated where the source of this had probably come from. In no way was my post making me seem intellectually superior. If it did Bonito maybe you have an inferiority complex or something.. ?

You read the 1st post then dived in to the thread. Next time read the posts. The OP never implied anything, they asked if anybody else heard anything.

You mentioned the government and how they could never implement it, not the OP.

You then made the implication that the OP implied the government were bringing this in. Which is incorrect.

You dived in and acted like a díck and tried making the OP look thick and even laughed at him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Might as well ban:
    • Advertisements on Billboards
    • Hot women to leer at
    • The Radio + CD Player
    • Carrying passengers since, you know, they talk to you.......unless they ban talking too
    • Sunroofs, especially the ones that manually have to be opened.
    • Stickers on cars because another driver will read it and smash into a horde of orphans
    Fùck it, just ban roads altogether and get everyone back to scaling walls in fields on their way to work.

Anywho, why is there such shock? This "ban" has been brought up countless amounts of times, especially in Britain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

rubadub wrote: »
    if I was driving along with a lit candle I would expect a garda to say something.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Not a small birthday cake candle!......

I'm just curious now.

But why the in name of Christ would you drive around with a lit candle in your hand?

FFS

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    I'm just curious now.

But why the in name of Christ would you drive around with a lit candle in your hand?

FFS

Probably because you're not using your headlights to "save" the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Delighted :D

Too many people driving around while lighting up with no hands on the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Lapin wrote: »
    I'm just curious now.

FFS

Ha ha good one, maybe the lights on the car are f****d or something lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If it will stop the ruddy bastards from throwing half lit cigarettes onto my windscreen them I'm for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I don't smoke but I think this proposal is absolutely crazy. What next? Will they ban Farting while driving? Or perhaps Coughing while driving? Big Brother just fcuk off please will ya and leave people with some freedom ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

curlzy wrote: »
    BIGOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIGOTIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Fùck it, just ban roads altogether and get everyone back to scaling walls in fields on their way to work.

Good thinking. You are well on the way to becoming a politician. However, you are showing some signs that you haven't quite learned enough yet.

"Scaling walls on their way to work??" Surely you realise that scaling walls is potentially dangerous? In addition, you might fall on another worker, and then what? What if you fell upon such a person while using a hand held mobile 'phone?

And banning roads altogether? Well, that would make John Gormless happy no doubt as it would stop products getting to Tesco and so eliminate the waste packaging problem (and the Porbeg incinerator). However, that would mean products getting to the local shop in small quantities on the back of donkeys, and now we have other problems -- donkey s**t all over the place (see Gap of Dunloe) and people getting run over by donkeys while their owners were using hand-held.... etc etc. Then we will also have to provide speed cameras to ensure that the donkeys do not exceed a speed of 2 kph for safety reasons.

Instead, when you present your first bill on the floor of the Dail, you might consider:

Living is potentially dangerous. It is the only human activity that has a 100% mortality rate, and statistically the highest mortality occurs between the ages of 30 and 100. Therefore, propose a bill that living beyond 30 is banned, and anyone attempting to do so will be fined €50 billions and/or imprisoned for life (thus solving our current financial problems and removing the need for state and public sector pensions --a major saving there), and ensuring that those in government have even less experience of life than those already there.

I offer those thoughts to you free of charge since I want to be seen to support new political initiatives. I shall expect my due reward when you become a minister.

Best regards for your future

ART6

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

ART6 wrote: »
    I shall expect my due reward when you become a minister.

I would give you your award in a brown envelope but, alas, health & safety regulates procedures in case of a paper cut which could lead to a costly and lengthy court battle for state compensation.

The state simply cannot afford to lose money in such troubling times.....

<_<

>_>

*Hands award in black bag*

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Fcuk, what about rolling....?:cool:

Anyway it's bullsh!t, if you can't drive a car whilst performing a simple extra task like smoking or eating an apple then you should get the fcuk off the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

mal1 wrote: »
    I concur. One positive side is that it might reduce littering. Smokers are a wild messy lot. Always throwing fags out the window.

And in fairness, if you don't mind smelling like a chimney then you're probably not a careful driver...so how about we ban smokers and not smoking.
    Are you for real?

I'm also unsure why your chimney smells like tobacco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Take THAT you evil smokers! Muhahhahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Next it will be picking your nose while driving.

Imagine going to court to defend yourself against th ticket and 2 penelty points for dragging the guts out of your nose while the Garda holds a picture of you doing it?

Lol, your honour, i wasnt picking my nose, its now the recession and i was merely checking to see if my dinner was cooked before i go home.

Wife and kids gotta eat dammit!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Are you for real?

I'm also unsure why your chimney smells like tobacco

Yeah, i bet Schumacher & Hamilton don't smoke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yeah, i bet Schumacher & Hamilton don't smoke..

If you can't make the distinction between driving and racing then you shouldn't be on a public road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I concur. One positive side is that it might reduce littering. Smokers are a wild messy lot. Always throwing fags out the window.

And in fairness, if you don't mind smelling like a chimney then you're probably not a careful driver...so how about we ban smokers and not smoking.

so how about we ban smokers and not smoking????????????
    as a smoker i find that comment very uncalled for.we pay enough tax on them as it is and same goes for banning them in pubs to every one thought the pubs would be packed with non smokers now you go to a pub and what folk are in there are all out side smoking not a non smoker to be seen. well no one will tell me to put out a cig in my own car never..

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

apparently (according to the ad ) you're four times more likely to have an "accident" if your driving while on the mobile.

Anybody know how likely you are to have an accident while driving in general?

I imagine the chances are almost zero. Therefore- four times zero is zero. A load of BS.

They don't classify the seriousness of the accident either. You could be killed, kill someone else or just break your headlight.

The whole road safety thing is getting out of hand.

I hate smoking but if this ban is true then its a new low. It must be more dangerous to drive a car load of kids in one of those horrible people carriers then drive while smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Frogeye wrote: »
    apparently (according to the ad ) you're four times more likely to have an "accident" if your driving while on the mobile.

Anybody know how likely you are to have an accident while driving in general?

I imagine the chances are almost zero. Therefore- four times zero is zero. A load of BS.

They don't classify the seriousness of the accident either. You could be killed, kill someone else or just break your headlight.

The whole road safety thing is getting out of hand.

I hate smoking but if this ban is true then its a new low. It must be more dangerous to drive a car load of kids in one of those horrible people carriers then drive while smoking.

Just wait for the Greens ban radio/cd players in cars comes into effect. Those guys should be fitted with BS meters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

**** THE *****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Just wait for the Greens ban radio/cd players in cars comes into effect. Those guys should be fitted with BS meters.

yea them greens have destroyed this country cant do this, cant do that, use this over priced light bulb, and not that one,wont be long before we are all back on the horse and carts. and il open a shebeen and il call it steptoes,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

snyper wrote: »
    Next it will be picking your nose while driving.

Nah, snot is not going to burn the bollix off you if it drops, causing an instant uncontrollable physical reaction to stop the pain at the expense of the control of the car.

Also, one point which hasn't been brought up here.
    Do smokers smoke at night while driving ?
    That would blind their night vision momentarily.

I just wish this law could be extended to pedestrians who aren't smoking within a 3 metre range of a cigarette friendly bin.

Smoking is as reckless as drinking a beer while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭andrew cross

I CAN NEVER FIND MY FAGS WHEN IM DRIVING AND ON BOARDS SORRY HAVE TO GO CHANGE GEAR WHERE MY BOTTLE OF JACK DANIELS IF I WAS A MINISTER IN THE BACK OF A MERC ,I WOULD NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT LAWS. ,WHERES ME FAGS F*CK:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Is this law being discussed to stop people smoking in cars with children as passsengers, not to ban smoking while driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I'm sure it will be as successful as the mobile phone ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Fcuk, what about rolling....?

That's easy enough. You just put the skin on the middle bit of the steering wheel & place your tobacco on it, then hold the steering wheel with your knee as you roll & lick the paper.

It's easily enough done on a straight stretch.

I wouldn't recommend it on corners though - the tobacco has a tendency to end up on the floor of the car.

Advertisement