Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking to be made illegal while driving??

Options
  • 22-10-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else hear about this on the news this morning? Aparently the government are trying to illegalise smoking while driving because thay said its a distraction........... In other words it's just another reason for fining people!!!

Thoughts on this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It's bollox without proof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They should outlaw blinking while driving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No it's just females smoking their partner's 'pipe' while driving thats outlawed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Not in favour of it personally, but if operating a phone can be deemed a hazardous distraction, then surely smoking must be too.

Along with listening to the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

More distractions from doing something useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I don't even smoke, and I think this is bull****.

Not in favour of it personally, but if operating a phone can be deemed a hazardous distraction, then surely smoking must be too.

You don't have to punch numbers into a cigarette to use it. It's also a habit so you barely need to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

It really is Bull****. If anything it will make drivers (who smoke) more stressed behind the wheel, I get road rage from time to time and not being allowed to smoke will just P**s me off even more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

But if they ban it, how will I look cool whilst driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

Quick, someone call Denis Leary....

This has to be a wind-up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am shocked it has taken so long. Phones are banned, I have heard of people fined for eating an apple or bar in a car while driving. Fundamentally speaking you are holding a lit object in your hand, if I was driving along with a lit candle or those car cigarette lighters I would expect a garda to say something.

I have seen a mate drop a cigarette in a car onto their lap and have to brush it off, if this was a bar or phone dropped it is far less of a distraction.

rubadub wrote: »
    I am shocked it has taken so long. Phones are banned, I have heard of people fined for eating an apple or bar in a car while driving. Fundamentally speaking you are holding a lit object in your hand, if I was driving along with a lit candle or those car cigarette lighters I would expect a garda to say something.

I have seen a mate drop a cigarette in a car onto their lap and have to brush it off, if this was a bar or phone dropped it is far less of a distraction.

Then dont drop it...... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I concur. One positive side is that it might reduce littering. Smokers are a wild messy lot. Always throwing fags out the window.

And in fairness, if you don't mind smelling like a chimney then you're probably not a careful driver...so how about we ban smokers and not smoking.

rubadub wrote: »
    A candle is ten times the size of a cigarette and doesn't relieve stress like a cigarette does. All you'll be doing is encouraging nicotine addicts to drive faster so they can have a ciggy at the end of they're journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It really is Bull****. If anything it will make drivers (who smoke) more stressed behind the wheel, I get road rage from time to time and not being allowed to smoke will just P**s me off even more!!

From reading above I reckon you get Boards rage too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

mal1 wrote: »
    I concur. One positive side is that it might reduce littering. Smokers are a wild messy lot. Always throwing fags out the window.

And in fairness, if you don't mind smelling like a chimney then you're probably not a careful driver...so how about we ban smokers and not smoking.

That some sized brush you got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

ScumLord wrote: »
    You don't have to punch numbers into a cigarette to use it. It's also a habit so you barely need to think about it.

When I use to smoke while driving the amount of times I nearly caused
    an accident by either dropping ash or the cigarrette, it can be quite
    dangerous to smoke while driving, think it is great that this will happen !!

Well, after seing someone zigzaging along the road while trying to retrieve the fags and a lighter out of their pocket and light up, all I can say is, about time too.

You can't do anything else while driving so why should smoking be exempt!

Anyway, it'll make secondhand cars cleaner, secondhand cars full of secondhand smoke really stink!

A candle is ten times the size of a cigarette and doesn't relieve stress like a cigarette does. All you'll be doing is encouraging nicotine addicts to drive faster so they can have a ciggy at the end of they're journey.

Good point, have you ever been in a car when the driver really needs to use the bog???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

There are existing laws which can be used against drivers who 'zig-zag' all over the road.
    No need for another law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Smoking when driving is definitely a distraction, same as changing the radio station or a CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Argumentative kids are the biggest distraction whilst driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

Texting is a habbit for me. I dont even have to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A candle is ten times the size of a cigarette
    Not a small birthday cake candle! My point is that if they think phones are such a distraction then surely lit cigarettes must be too. If dropped on your lap it would obviously be a distraction, it also makes you less effects dexterity as fingers are taken up.

If smoking was only discovered today and was somehow made legal then I would still think people would say "you're mad to go around driving one of those ignited yokes in your hand."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-335291/Pipped-Woman-driver-fined-eating-apple.html
    A nursery nurse who was stopped because she was holding an apple while driving was fined yesterday following a prosecution which her solicitor described as "nonsensical".

He also criticised Northumbria Police and the Crown Prosecution Service for ordering aerial photographs, a video shot from the force aircraft and a video recording from a police car be produced for the trial which lasted more than two-and-a-half hours.

But South Tyneside Magistrates ruled that Sarah McCaffery, 23, of Hebburn, was not in proper control of her Ford Ka as she negotiated a left hand turn with an apple in her right hand.

She was fined £60 and ordered to pay £100 costs at the 10th court hearing into the case which started at 8.20am on December 4 2003 when she was pulled over by traffic officer Pc Lee Butler in Monkton Lane Hebburn.

The officer, who has 10 years' experience, told the court he was sat in his stationary patrol car when he saw a woman driving with her right hand by her face and believed she may be using a mobile phone.

He stopped her and discovered she was holding an apple. He then issued her with a £30 fixed penalty ticket. He said the defendant did not say anything at the time.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-335291/Pipped-Woman-driver-fined-eating-apple.html#ixzz135dnCW8Q

moco wrote: »
    Smoking when driving is definitely a distraction, same as changing the radio station or a CD.

So should radios be banned from cars then??

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Argumentative kids are the biggest distraction whilst driving.

Not as much as argumentative boyfriends.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I suppose that really depends on where you put it.:eek:

So should radios be banned from cars then??

No

moco wrote: »
    No

My point exactly...

And another thing to ask is will passengers be allowed to smoke? Cause that would be even more irritating!! lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

It makes sense.

Advertisement