Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking to be made illegal while driving??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Did anyone else hear about this on the news this morning? Aparently the government are trying to illegalise smoking while driving because thay said its a distraction........... In other words it's just another reason for fining people!!!

Thoughts on this???

I think the government would be better advised to try and enforce the laws that are already in place, rather than thinking up new ones everybody will ignore just like the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

flash1080 wrote: »
    It makes sense.

Any reason for your answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

If part of a radio falls on to your lap, it won't burn da bollix off ya - which can be quite a distraction I imagine.

So no, you can't compare changing the radio with smoking.

Also, people who listen to the radio, don't throw out the radio on the side of the road when they're finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

They can ban it if they want. It won't stop me smoking in the car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Rumour has it the NCT boys are gonna use their windows tints measuring tool to check your driving shades aren't too dark either... :D

No smoking, No shades... baseball caps next

• Advertisement

Rumour has it the NCT boys are gonna use their windows tints measuring tool to check your driving shades aren't too dark either... :D

No smoking, No shades... baseball caps next

TBH I wouldnt be surprised, anything for the government to get more money of the average joe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

Just ban everyone from driving and get it over with, we all know its eventually gonna come to this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

So where are the stats for cigarettes being a factor in accidents?
    Are they just basing this on annecdotal hear say that it must be a dangerous distraction because smoking kills or what?

Maybe the OP misheard this whole story. After Decembers budget you can't smoke whilst driving cos we wont be able to afford both with green carbon taxes n the like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I don't smoke, so it doesn't affect me.. Still think it's a load of fat donkey though.

Keith186 wrote: »
    So where are the stats for cigarettes being a factor in accidents?
    Are they just basing this on annecdotal hear say that it must be a dangerous distraction because smoking kills or what?

Maybe the OP misheard this whole story. After Decembers budget you can't smoke whilst driving cos we wont be able to afford both with green carbon taxes n the like!

I missed the start of the story but when i got into work a few other guys said they heard the same thing, so i satrated this thread to see if anyone had heard it too and what their thoughts on it are...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

reeta wrote: »
    When I use to smoke while driving the amount of times I nearly caused
    an accident by either dropping ash or the cigarrette, it can be quite
    dangerous to smoke while driving, think it is great that this will happen !!
    i would think you would exercise common sense and just stop doing it after the first time...

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

My point exactly...

And another thing to ask is will passengers be allowed to smoke? Cause that would be even more irritating!! lol

I don't think either should be banned, I just think people should have a bit of cop on. Somebody I spend a lot of time in the car with will fiddle in his pockets for cigarettes/change the CD/text while hurtling down a motorway at 120kmph. Stuff shouldn't have to be made illegal for people to stop doing it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

moco wrote: »
    Not as much as argumentative boyfriends.:mad:

I agree. I was going to add argumentative OHs. Nothing worse than being nagged whilst driving.

I don't think either should be banned, I just think people should have a bit of cop on. Somebody I spend a lot of time in the car with will fiddle in his pockets for cigarettes/change the CD/text while hurtling down a motorway at 120kmph. Stuff shouldn't have to be made illegal for people to stop doing it.:rolleyes:

Could not agree more, common sense says if you're gonna smoke while driving, take them out of your pocket before you start the drive. It's not like theres nowhere to put a box of smokes within your reach while behind the wheel (which isn't awkward to get them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Is there any evidence that suggests smoking is a genuine distraction, like using a mobile phone?

If there is I have no problem with the measure, as it doesn't really detract from one's liberties. You can still drive. You can still smoke. Just not at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

there trying to outlaw driving while driving aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Most people don't have the cop on to stop doing stupid things so they have to be forced to stop.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Is there any evidence that suggests smoking is a genuine distraction, like using a mobile phone?

If there is I have no problem with the measure, as it doesn't really detract from one's liberties. You can still drive. You can still smoke. Just not at the same time.

Good question, if the RSA was to release an official document that proved smoking is a distraction and causes accidents i'd take it in and prob have a different attitude, but never once have i heard of a ciggy being the cause of an accident

Overature wrote: »
    there trying to outlaw driving while driving aswell

I'm tellin ya they'll prob try to outlaw talking while driving too!! Every car will have to have partitions in them so you cant interact with your passengers.

Why dont they put the focus on the real crimes that are being committed around the country, if smoking in a car is all theyre worried about then there's a serious problem!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Are you sure it was the 'government' suggesting this, and not just one of the mentalists from ASH or another of the anti-smoking groups?
    They've been banging on about this for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I was a passenger in a car been driven by a smoker. We almost crashed into another car as he was searching for his lighter. Only for the fact that I yelled 'Stop!' did we manage not to collide with the car in front.

And as a motorcyclist, there's been two occasions where lit cigarettes have been flicked out of car windows and landed on me. The 2nd time, it burnt a hole in my leggings and they had to be replaced at a cost of €160 to me.

Oh, and anything the discourages people from slowly killing themselves and increasing everyones health insurance costs gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

ScumLord wrote: »
    You don't have to punch numbers into a cigarette to use it. It's also a habit so you barely need to think about it.

I know.
    I'm sure all of us here could operate a phone without thinking about it.

Alas...

Good question, if the RSA was to release an official document that proved smoking is a distraction and causes accidents i'd take it in and prob have a different attitude, but never once have i heard of a ciggy being the cause of an accident

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/838249-dropped-cigarette-caused-kent-car-death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

rubadub wrote: »
    I am shocked it has taken so long. Phones are banned, I have heard of people fined for eating an apple or bar in a car while driving. Fundamentally speaking you are holding a lit object in your hand, if I was driving along with a lit candle or those car cigarette lighters I would expect a garda to say something.

I have seen a mate drop a cigarette in a car onto their lap and have to brush it off, if this was a bar or phone dropped it is far less of a distraction.

Have you ever drank water or a soft drink whilst driving? I know I have and reaching over for water, unscrewing the top off and drinking it is a hell of a lot more dangerous than having a cigarette.

Of course this is the perfect opportunity for anti-smokers to crawl from underneath whatever stone they're hiding and ride their high-horse.

The government could introduce mandatory refresher courses for drivers to make the roads safer, not come out with more crap ideas like this. But then again what the hell would they know about real life, they have their chauffeur driven cars paid for by you and I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I was a passenger in a car been driven by a smoker. We almost crashed into another car as he was searching for his lighter. Only for the fact that I yelled 'Stop!' did we manage not to collide with the car in front.

And as a motorcyclist, there's been two occasions where lit cigarettes have been flicked out of car windows and landed on me. The 2nd time, it burnt a hole in my leggings and they had to be replaced at a cost of €160 to me.

Oh, and anything the discourages people from slowly killing themselves and increasing everyones health insurance costs gets my vote.
    i was in a van with a friend who was tricking with the radio, only for i shouted "Stop!" we would have crashed. should we remove all radios?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So should radios be banned from cars then??

Was about to mention it. Next it will be radios that will be banned or at least the ones with the small buttons :pac:

I dont smoke myself but I've seen dropping cig ash distract drivers but never seen or heard of accidents where cigarettes were a distraction or contributing factor. I think the measure is OTT.

Now they're valid points which make sense so from your point of view i can see thats its not necessarily a bad thing....... I will say that if I am throwing butts out the window I will always check for a biker cause a few of my friends drive bikes and theyre always talking about it

Adam wrote: »
    i was in a van with a friend who was tricking with the radio, only for i shouted "Stop!" we would have crashed. should we remove all radios?

As was aid before, if people were just a little more willing to use their brains, we wouldn't need much of the legislation we've already got.

Shenshen wrote: »
    As was aid before, if people were just a little more willing to use their brains, we wouldn't need much of the legislation we've already got.

My thoughts exactly!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Chorizo

Smokers are not a messy bunch. I have never thrown a cigarette butt out my window. Always put it in the ash tray. The reason its there. And i go mental at people who do just throw it out and it hits my car :mad:.

Anyway, they will not enforce this. Same as they dont enforce throwing them out the window. I have even seen garda do this. Just another scare tactic to keep us in order. Shut up slaves!

Advertisement