Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Man 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Saw this last Friday, I loved it. It would've been nice to see some Iron Patriot action, but this movie was like on armour action all over! Hopefully it'll happen in a later Avengers/IM movie.
    The Mandarin twist was great (and I'm a big fan of the source material). I'm just glad these movies can still surprise me! As far as I'm concerned, Killian was the Mandarin. Guy Pierce was a great villain in any case, his perpetually smug expression was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MGWR wrote: »
    They did bother with the backstory of both Maya Hansen and Aldrich Killian, albeit heavily altered; that took a good bit of the movie, and it could have been used for the Mandarin proper (you know, Iron Man's arch-enemy and all).

And no, SHIELD has never been all-seeing. Stuff like Makluan technology would be impervious to whatever they were using. Never mind that AIM and HYDRA are quite adept at keeping SHIELD at bay themselves, and they're only scratching the surface of what the Makluans were capable of.

Now if the Mandarin was shown at the end scene of the movie moving things behind the scenes indeed, instead of that superfluous scene between Stark and Banner that also lowered my opinion of the movie, that would have sent things into the stratosphere and redeemed the whole movie as a whole. But instead, we got what we got, and Disney seems to be of the opinion that they can throw what they please at the public.

The Mandarin would have needed a hell of a lot more screen time than Hansen and Killian had in the beginning. In fact, enough of the film would have to be dedicated to him to cause problems with Stark's character arc in the film. It just wouldn't be workable without cutting into either character.

Unless an arch-nemesis's origins are directly related to the heroes origin, comics will have many story arcs to explain who they are. But in a film, you get 15, maybe 20 minutes max. And that has to be inter-cut with the heroes arc, as no studio would be stupid enough not to have Robert Downey Jr on screen for so long. The Mandarin of the comics would be a hell of a struggle for any writer to get into a third film.

They could have kept the type of character he was in the film without
    revealing who he is and not having Killian as the antagonist
    , but then you're left with a character who's incredibly similar to the terrorist in the first film.

You also have to factor in that the writer's and studio know where the series is going and we don't. The Mandarin may not figure into it, so is of no use to them as the continued arch-nemesis of the comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Back from seeing it and it's a pretty good film for the most part. Nice to see a weaker side of Downey Jr. as Iron Man.

However I felt
    the film went downhill after the Mandarin twist. I admire the twist in a way because it took me a bit by surprise. Kingsley's weird way of talking was annoying though, so I'm glad there was a reason for it. After the reveal however, I felt a lot of the menace went out of the film. As much as I like Pearce as an actor, his character didn't have anywhere near as much danger about him as the Mandarin did. It just seemed yet another scientist-with-powerful-weapon-holding-the-world-to-ransom storyline.
    I didn't really mind the whole fire breathing thing in the scientific sense, it's Marvel after all, I just thought it was a little stupid. Also the whole shadows on the wall after the attack was very cartoony and a bit ridiculous

The story had a nice flow to it though, but let down by overlong end battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Snorefest.

Corholio wrote: »
    Also the whole shadows on the wall after the attack was very cartoony and a bit ridiculous

Just on that bit, it happened after Hiroshima, so it's not that unrealistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

humanji wrote: »
    Just on that bit, it happened after Hiroshima, so it's not that unrealistic.

I should have furthered what I meant. It seemed everyone in the blast had a shadow, i doubt thatd happen unless everyone was standing by the wall. Just seemed a silly way to help figure out about the bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Went to see this yesterday, after seeing the first 2 just within the last few days, absolutly epic superhero movie - 2nd to TDKR imho tbh - and the intro song was just the icing on the truly fun nostalgic music cake :D:) Best movie of the three methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Went to see this yesterday, after seeing the first 2 just within the last few days, absolutly epic superhero movie - 2nd to TDKR imho tbh - and the intro song was just the icing on the truly fun nostalgic music cake :D:) Best movie of the three methinks!

Without a doubt Candy, I taught part 1 was good thanks to Downey Jrs performance. Part 2 was a mess but the Third one was a great piece of blockbuster fun with another great performance from Downey(his friendship with the little kid was wonderful) and Guy Pearce and Sir Ben Kinglsey
    how he was just a pawn in the whole scheme of it and was just a drug up stage actor was fun
    . The last 15 minutes were fun. I wouldn't put it above any of Nolan's batman films or the avenagers but it was a great fun ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Looper007 wrote: »
    Without a doubt Candy, I taught part 1 was good thanks to Downey Jrs performance. Part 2 was a mess but the Third one was a great piece of blockbuster fun with another great performance from Downey(his friendship with the little kid was wonderful) and Guy Pearce and Sir Ben Kinglsey
    how he was just a pawn in the whole scheme of it and was just a drug up stage actor was fun
    . The last 15 minutes were fun. I wouldn't put it above any of Nolan's batman films or the avenagers but it was a great fun ride.

Exactly right there :)
    Just have to post this, tis been back in my head since Ive seen the movie and forgot how much Ive loved it and the nostalgia that it provoked! Que dancing in the cinema seats as it started :D:o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,847 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ The thing is, as soon as I heard this song, I realized that I both had no idea where this movie was going to go, so be prepared; and also, that I would probably like this Shane Black fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Overheal wrote: »
    ^ The thing is, as soon as I heard this song, I realized that I both had no idea where this movie was going to go, so be prepared; and also, that I would probably like this Shane Black fella.

Watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang if you haven't already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 ConnorHunter

Words fail me as to how disappointing IM3 was , from what was a good action movie franchise, came a cash cow ... I appreciate the story line, and the general direction they will go now with it, but it really just didnt hit the spot for me at all !!

I will see this movie definitely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Kevin Feige mentioned in a Q and A tonight that we haven't seen the last of Extremis in the movies

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Heard a news story this morning that they're looking for replacements for RDJ in future Iron Man endeavours due to a ever increasing paycheque by RDJ (was $50M for Iron Man 3).

Favourite is Colin "and all and anyways" Farrell! :rolleyes:

Others being mentioned include James Franco, Bradley Cooper and Jon Hamm.

Jaysus.. whatever RDJ wants, pay him it!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kitnan

Went to see it the day it was released I thought it was great even though i'm not a fan of Iron Man 2 and wasn't really expecting much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Basq wrote: »
    Heard a news story this morning that they're looking for replacements for RDJ in future Iron Man endeavours due to a ever increasing paycheque by RDJ (was $50M for Iron Man 3).

I think they can do Ironman just fine without RDJ, it will still be Ironman. He's a greedy f*cker asking for that much anyways, show him the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think they can do Ironman just fine without RDJ, it will still be Ironman.
    Myself and the girlfriend were watching Iron Man 2 before going to see the third outing and we honestly couldn't see anyone in the same role.. especially after 3 movies with RDJ constantly delivering.

I should rephrase.. while anyone could play Iron Man, I can't see anyone else playing Howard Stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Myself and the girlfriend were watching Iron Man 2 before going to see the third outing and we honestly couldn't see anyone in the same role.. especially after 3 movies with RDJ constantly delivering.

I should rephrase.. while anyone could play Iron Man, I can't see anyone else playing Howard Stark.

Well, I kind of hate his stupid face a little, so I may possibly be biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

always thought John Hamm would have made a great Captain America if they cast the role older, he has the square jawed all American look about him, he'd make a great Superman too come to think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

He's very good in the role, but $50M is an awful lot of money. I know the movie will make a mint anyways, I just think he could price himself out of it and that would be a shame imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

He's very good in the role, but $50M is an awful lot of money. I know the movie will make a mint anyways, I just think he could price himself out of it and that would be a shame imo.

I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't want to do any more of them and it's only the obscene amount of cash they've been throwing his way that has kept him onside thus far.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

As long as they keep him for the next avengers film it won't be too jarring if they change actors. Would be a shame though, out of everyone in the marvel films he's the one who has really made the role his own. Would be nice if they manage to keep all the actors in place until the third Avengers film though.

I do get the impresson that people who aren't into the comics watch the Iron Man films for RDJ rather than the character to an extent though, in terms of box office they might be better off paying him what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,138 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

quad_red wrote: »
    I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't want to do any more of them and it's only the obscene amount of cash they've been throwing his way that has kept him onside thus far.

what has made that clear to you - everything I have read would indicate that he loves the role (though that would be the point of what I am reading)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a bit of an odd one because on face value it shouldn't really matter - afterall we've had 3 actors playing Bruce Banner in quick succession (even if only two of them were part of the same continuity) and nobody cared that strongly - but Downey Jr. has become the de-facto star of the extended Avengers'verse & having gone to all this trouble in linking up the various movies, I can't imagine Marvel want to recast the roles all the time.

That said, I sympathise a little with Downey Jr. as there's no genre more willing to churn out content way past its sell by date than comics - I wouldn't blame him for wanting out before he gets completely typecast & locked into another half-dozen Avengers sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I do get the impresson that people who aren't into the comics watch the Iron Man films for RDJ rather than the character to an extent though, in terms of box office they might be better off paying him what he wants.

THIS! From talking to friends, a very large part of the attraction for 'mainstream' easy going ladies of the Avengers was RDJ (and to a lesser extent, Ruffalo).

The tone and 'quippy' nature of RDJ's Stark is very keyed to RDJ himself. If they tried to replace him without taking a different angle on it, I could see it looking very cringe worthy.

I can imagine him dropping out for Phase 3. By that time, I wouldn't be surprised if the novelty of the films wears off and they stop being as profitable. So it'd make sense for the studios to replace him at that point.

au contraire:
    Robert Downey Jr: Hollywood's first $100million man
    A few years ago it seemed that Robert Downey Jr was destined to become just another sad footnote in Hollywood history.

The actor was found curled up in a rat-infested alley behind a cheap Los Angeles hotel. He was muttering incoherently as yet another drugs and alcohol binge took its toll.

In that dark period Downey was in and out of jail and rehabilitation centres.

The actor who had received an Oscar nomination for his acclaimed portrayal of Charlie Chaplin in Richard Attenborough’s 1992 biopic appeared hell-bent on squandering his talent.

Now, in a remarkable turnaround, he is poised to become the world’s highest paid actor and Hollywood’s first $100million man to boot.

The star’s agents are reportedly on the verge of putting pen to paper for a deal, said to be worth that amount (£65million).

It involves Downey, 48, reprising his role as Tony Stark, better known as the superhero Iron Man, twice more.

Downey will replace Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise at the top of the league of Hollywood’s highest earners.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/399138/Robert-Downey-Jr-Hollywood-s-first-100million-man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, let's face it, they'll probably kill him off in Avengers 2. This is Joss Whedon we're talking about. And I'm pretty sure Marvel would be OK with that. I mean it's not like the comics where characters never truly die. The movie series can have a start, middle and definite end. Look at Nolan's Batman trilogy. Do you honestly think any of them will come back for a Batman 4 or that supposed Justice League movie?

As much as I loved Ironman 3 (The best of the three by a country mile IMO) I think that, after Avengers 2 we'll have had enough of him. Better to go out on a high than trot out sequel after sequel after sequel *cough*JackSparrow*cough*

And as far as recasting goes: No. One of the things that made RDJ so perfect for the role of Tony Stark was that he simply was Robert Downey Jnr, with all the history that he went through. Not only was he born to play the part but he put extensive research and preparation into the part in the 80's/90's/00's :)

Advertisement