Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Man 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Saw it Saturday. Adored it. It's not a typical Iron Man film...and I think that may be for the best, because I like seeing that they're not afraid to go different on this.. Going to address a few points that have been made now

Easter Eggs (somewhat)
    President Ellis (nod to Warren Ellis who wrote Extremis)
    A certain scientist at the start (nod to the first film)
    I felt that Harley was a nod to the Ultimate Comics and was their way of incorporating Tony's sentient brain Tumour who was called Anthony and was essentially young brainchild Tony

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned just how amazing RDJ's acting was in this, especially when it came to the anxiety attacks. He was very much on form.

With regards to whether he'll return,
    I think the ending was all lining up to us seeing him return with the armour in his bone hollows in the future films. At the end when the arc is gone, Pepper is cured (so he clearly understands Extremis) we see him at his house picking up a small screwdriver. Couple this with him saying "I am Iron Man" but the credits saying Tony Stark will return makes me think the screwdriver is symbolism that he's going to tinker with himself and we'll get full on extremis. I could of course be wrong. This film seemed to me to be the start of Tony answering Cap's Question in Avengers "Take away the suit of armour what are you?" We see Tony overcompensate with lots of armors but also distance himself using his interface and I think next time we'll get the Answer....that without the armour, he's still Iron Man

Rhodey was badass in this. Some great action and dialogue with him. Also loved the dialogue between Tony and Harley (
    no need to be a pussy about it
    :P)

It was so funny and i loved that. It played to RDJ's and Black's strengths in that repect.
    Trevor was ****ing hilarious. I nearly pissed myself in that scene
    "They got you off drugs?"
    "They gave me more drugs"

I can understand how a lot of people would have a problem with the film....but **** it....I loved it

And I can pretty much agree with everything OverHeal said

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

saw it for the second time over the weekend and enjoyed it more, sure its got some niggly annoying things with it plot wise, it does feel disjointed in places and like a chunk of it was cut out, the middle section is a bit flabby and it as always descending into metal things hitting each other in the climax. But the good outweighs any of the bad.

I liked that it's
    Tony on his own for most of it, building stuff on the fly to help him out not just relying on the suits all the time. (although you do have to wonder why he didnt just call another one instead of waiting until the climax, he had dozens of the things why rely on a non functional one that keeps crapping out and Jarvis was back at a point way before he needed them)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think having Tony storing the armor in his bones would be enough to put a lot of people off, myself included. It's the stupid kind of nonsense that discourages me from reading most superhero comics.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

For those who have been following the comics and other media, this movie is not worth it as well as a huge disappointment. The Mandarin is Iron Man's arch-enemy and is not treated as such. Compare Batman vs. The Joker in "The Dark Knight", where the hero actually gets some remarkably big mayhem directly from the arch-enemy in question. Absolutely no imagination, never mind the bad treatment of the Extremis storyline. (The modern film industry's FX department can pull off characters such as Fin Fang Foom or MODOK quite easily as well, so their absence in what ought to have been a far more remarkable film is insulting.)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,155 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For those who have been following the comics and other media, this movie is not worth it as well as a huge disappointment.
    I follow the comics. And I disagree with you.

If you want a really good Mandarin arc, read the Matt Fraction series. It isn't that long really, and its full of good stuff. Pre-read Iron Man annual though and Enter the Mandarin, it adds even more gusto.
    (The modern film industry's FX department can pull off characters such as Fin Fang Foom or MODOK quite easily as well, so their absence in what ought to have been a far more remarkable film is insulting.)
    I just can't fathom how a talking dragon or MODOK would have worked. It had nothing to do about a technical or production limitation, it had everything to do with a fitting in the cinematic universe thing. And especially to the 3 films. To go from Box of Scraps in a cave, to mad russian scientist, to a ghost man that can travel through telephone lines? Seems like a gradual progression right?

Truth is there are plenty of IM arcs that don't involve characters that are going to alienate cinema audiences and the absence of these characters like MODOK and all isn't really offending too many comic book nerds because frankly, these other cinema friendly arcs like Extremis are still pretty damned good. Plus that arc actually compliments the development of Tony Stark as a character.

I understand the desire to see the more - fantastical - comics spring to life on the screen but honestly its just not practical and sometimes you gotta lend respect to the original medium being good by itself. The same arguments are made about books vs. film all the time - books are still the deeper medium, and comics are still a freer medium than film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I just don't get why they mention the Ten Rings, in the first film, and look to be expanding that further only to completely change the mythology

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Liked everything about this movie apart from when yer man breadthed fire, that was abit "yer what now?"
    I usually hate kids in movies, but the lad in this was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I just don't get why they mention the Ten Rings, in the first film, and look to be expanding that further only to completely change the mythology

This is what's called a "twist", and it is supposed to surprise the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What did people think of James Badge Dale?

I thought he was quite good, played both aloof and sinister very well.

This is what's called a "twist", and it is supposed to surprise the audience.

wow condescension much?
    A twist would be the
    that the Mandarin was not Kinsley but Pearce.
    What they did was completely remove the Madarin's origin/mythos and ignored something that they initiated in Iron Man 1

• Advertisement

wow condescension much?
    A twist would be the
    that the Mandarin was not Kinsley but Pearce.
    What they did was completely remove the Madarin's origin/mythos and ignored something that they initiated in Iron Man 1

was the Mandarin referenced in IM1? dont remember that

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,199 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    was the Mandarin referenced in IM1? dont remember that

THe ten rings were, but it was just a bit of fan service/easter egg imo. They had no idea where the sequels would go at that point imo.

the group called themselves the Ten Rings and highlighted your man rotating a ring on his finger. Now I might have focused in on something small but I felt that it was a deliberate reference to the Mandarin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    THe ten rings were, but it was just a bit of fan service/easter egg imo. They had no idea where the sequels would go at that point imo.
    Indeed but they then went with the Mandarin and ruined him, it would have made for a great arc from film 1-3. Why reference him only to destroy the character? Why use the arch villain of the Iron Man in such a role? They could have used one of several others

As Marvel, currently, do not hold the film rights to Dr.Doom, Mandarin would have made a great replacement.

Okay I'm a moviegoer: explain to me why suddenly there's a guy in this film with magic rings? Where the hell does that come from? Because at that point it's gone from technofantasy to "magic". The whole trilogy is based on pseudoscience. Explain magic rings and how that would work in your ideal iron man 3 film. Go.

Overheal wrote: »
    Okay I'm a moviegoer: explain to me why suddenly there's a guy in this film with magic rings? Where the hell does that come from? Because at that point it's gone from technofantasy to "magic". The whole trilogy is based on pseudoscience. Explain magic rings and how that would work in your ideal iron man 3 film. Go.

Iron Man has been introduced to aliens already, through the Avengers (which is where the ring technology comes from)
    Also magic rings Vs magic regrowth/breathing fire/super strength/explosive reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

In the comics his rings are the power source from a crashed alien space ship. Probably lots of them around after the events of the Avengers.

DinoRex wrote: »
    In the comics his rings are the power source from a crashed alien space ship. Probably lots of them around after the events of the Avengers.
    Correct. The rings are actually "technofantasy", much like the Infinity Gauntlet (coveted by Thanos) and the Cosmic Cube (or "Tesseract")—and we've all seen both Thanos and the Cosmic Cube in the Avengers film.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I liked it. The immediacy of the attack thru the soundtrack
    followed by the fit lead actor made it smart.

8/10 at least.

followed by the fit lead actor made it smart.

Yet again I have absolutely no idea what the hell you are saying. Are you implying that by finding Downey Jr. attractive the film was smart?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,199 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

All bets are off since Thor and his ilk were introduced regards magic and such imo,
    Killian says as much in this film
    so the rings would have been just as plausible as the likes of Thor's hammer, which never got any psuedo-scientific explanation and didn't need one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

DinoRex wrote: »
    O/T but there's a great short movie on the avengers blu-ray of some guy finding one of the alien guns and using it to rob banks :D

Yeah, that's a good short

Mickeroo wrote: »
    All bets are off since Thor and his ilk were introduced regards magic and such imo,
    Killian says as much in this film
    so the rings would have been just as plausible as the likes of Thor's hammer, which never got any psuedo-scientific explanation and didn't need one tbh.

they handily addressed it in Thor where he tells Portman that "you call it science, some call it magic, I come from a place where they're one and the same" or something the line goes.

Also magic rings Vs magic regrowth/breathing fire/super strength/explosive reaction?
    Which evidenced by this thread was enough to upset people. Firebreathing that is. Let alone magic rings.

krudler wrote: »
    they handily addressed it in Thor where he tells Portman that "you call it science, some call it magic, I come from a place where they're one and the same" or something the line goes.
    Well, the Dwarves of Nidavellir aren't giving up all of their trade secrets, so it'll be up there with even the "arc reactor" or Bruce Banner's rapid cell reproduction during his transformations, for now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't think I'd mind the rings. It could have been a nice magic vs science setup. Ultimately, I was more than happy with the film though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Which evidenced by this thread was enough to upset people. Firebreathing that is. Let alone magic rings.

They're not magic. They are tech, in the same vein as the chest reactor, tesseract, hammer, super soldier serum etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I can't see how having the comic version of Mandarin in IM3 would have worked while trying to keep the story focused on Tony recovering from the alien invasion. It would have needed a huge amount of backstory on Mandarin, explain why he either was hidden while he came to power or why Tony decided not to do anything about him before, why the all-seeing SHIELD missed a crashed alien ship (even if it happened thousands of years ago, surely they'd have people in China who's job it is is to find out about such things), etc. It's just too much information to pass on and so there would have to be changes to him.

Also, it does leave things open for the comic version to appear. The Ten Rings is a terrorist group and they work in cells, with each cell knowing next to nothing about the others and some inner circle controlling them all. It's perfectly possible in the continually moving goalpost worlds of Marvel, that the real Mandarin is manipulating things from the background.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    I can't see how having the comic version of Mandarin in IM3 would have worked while trying to keep the story focused on Tony recovering from the alien invasion. It would have needed a huge amount of backstory on Mandarin, explain why he either was hidden while he came to power or why Tony decided not to do anything about him before, why the all-seeing SHIELD missed a crashed alien ship (even if it happened thousands of years ago, surely they'd have people in China who's job it is is to find out about such things), etc. It's just too much information to pass on and so there would have to be changes to him.

Also, it does leave things open for the comic version to appear. The Ten Rings is a terrorist group and they work in cells, with each cell knowing next to nothing about the others and some inner circle controlling them all. It's perfectly possible in the continually moving goalpost worlds of Marvel, that the real Mandarin is manipulating things from the background.
    They did bother with the backstory of both Maya Hansen and Aldrich Killian, albeit heavily altered; that took a good bit of the movie, and it could have been used for the Mandarin proper (you know, Iron Man's arch-enemy and all).

And no, SHIELD has never been all-seeing. Stuff like Makluan technology would be impervious to whatever they were using. Never mind that AIM and HYDRA are quite adept at keeping SHIELD at bay themselves, and they're only scratching the surface of what the Makluans were capable of.

Now if the Mandarin was shown at the end scene of the movie moving things behind the scenes indeed, instead of that superfluous scene between Stark and Banner that also lowered my opinion of the movie, that would have sent things into the stratosphere and redeemed the whole movie as a whole. But instead, we got what we got, and Disney seems to be of the opinion that they can throw what they please at the public.

Advertisement