Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good % of marijuana becoming legal in California

Options
  • 19-10-2010 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

If it does, this is one I hope we follow. Think of the revenue....

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pot-campaign-20101018,0,624268.story (full story here)
    Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and every major candidate for statewide office oppose it. At least 38 newspapers in California have editorialized against it. The presidents of Mexico and Colombia said it would disrupt the fight against drug traffickers. U.S. Atty. Gen. Eric Holder has vowed to "vigorously enforce" federal narcotics laws. The drug czar, Gil Kerlikowske, has led the Obama administration's opposition but is wary of triggering a backlash by coming to California. "The last thing people want to see is someone parachuting into their state from inside the Beltway," he said.

Proponents are putting tremendous stock in the youth vote. Democrats have begun to study whether legalization measures on state ballots in 2012 could boost turnout for the presidential election.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

What's a "good %" work out at these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    What's a "good %" work out at these days?

50+

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

'becoming'? When it's not been voted on?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I love the short-sightedness of some people. Or maybe something more sinister. The presidents of Mexico and Columbia think that legalising dope in California will make the war on drugs more difficult. Their logic seems sound - if it's legal to sell in Cali, then production in those states will go through the roof.

Well, not really. Hemp is ridiculously easy to produce. If you make it legal to grow hemp in the State of California and impose punitive taxes on importation of it, then local growers will explode and the demand for dope from Mexico and Columbia will collapse - nobody will be looking to buy their overpriced, blood-soaked crap when they can get good quality stuff, homegrown and ethically produced.

The primary problem here will be for other states. If it's legal to grow and possess in California, are they going to have border patrols in Nevada, strip-searching everyone on their way to Vegas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

If that comes in there are gonna be a load of kids smoking joints and throwing up when they learn to inhale properly. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

I for one will be watching the vote with keen interest.

I don't believe cannabis is legal for recreational purposes anywhere in the world, though I stand to be corrected on this, which would make California the first, hopefully with others to follow, ending the current, ridiculous status quo.

seamus wrote: »

The primary problem here will be for other states. If it's legal to grow and possess in California, are they going to have border patrols in Nevada, strip-searching everyone on their way to Vegas?

I would imagine it would put pressure on surrounding states to decriminalise the possession of smaller quantities for personal use. They would need some sort of compromise. Besides, its such a common and easily obtainable substance such that people in surrounding areas would have access anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

when others states/countries see the tax revenues roll in they'll start changing their minds about its legal status - its all about the green people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Huller has already come out and said that they will continue to raid, shut down and prosecute cannabis growers, sellers and dealers.

The federal law remains unchanged.

EDIT: Sorry, his name is actually Holder.

Huller has already come out and said that they will continue to raid, shut down and prosecute cannabis growers, serllers and dealers.

The federal law remains unchanged.

I thought the federal laws only apply to interstate movement of the drug?

If it's grown, sold and smoked in California only, do federal laws apply?

• Advertisement

Pookah wrote: »

Nope - they use the interstate clause to justify the ban, but they are entitled to conduct raids even on domestic users.

EDIT: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-marijuana-holder-20101016,0,5547626.story

Nope - they use the interstate clause to justify the ban, but they are entitled to conduct raids even on domestic users.

EDIT: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-marijuana-holder-20101016,0,5547626.story

Interesting that the federal government intend to quash the law in defiance of the will of the people, should it pass, but that's democaracy for you.

I think a telling paragraph is this one...
    The measure's proponents noted that Proposition 215, the medical marijuana law, drew a similar federal reaction. "This is 1996 all over again," said Stephen Gutwillig, the state director of the Drug Policy Alliance. But he noted that, besides California, 13 states and the District of Columbia now allow medical marijuana. "All that happened without a single change in federal law."

Interesting that the federal government intend to quash the law in defiance of the will of the people, should it pass, but that's democaracy for you.

It's not really in defiance of the will of the people - the SC has said that regulating it is a federal power - the majority of Americans oppose legalisation.

It's not really in defiance of the will of the people - the SC has said that regulating it is a federal power - the majority of Americans oppose legalisation.

The 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution no longer applies?

The 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution no longer applies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzales_v._Raich

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/us/19holder.html

It's also possible that the statement from Holder, of intention to prosecute, in defiance of any new State law, is just noise in the run-up to the elections, with Obama keeping an eye on votes in other states.

It's a definate possibility, but we just don't know.

It's a definate possibility, but we just don't know.

True. It's all a little moot, until passed.

Anyway, here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭celtic Liger

RasTa wrote: »
    If it does, this is one I hope we follow. Think of the revenue....

we wont. we only copy the brits. not the yanks, especially not west cost yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I for one will be watching the vote with keen interest.

I don't believe cannabis is legal for recreational purposes anywhere in the world, though I stand to be corrected on this, which would make California the first, hopefully with others to follow, ending the current, ridiculous status quo.

Not quite legal for recreational so much as spiritual purposes, in certain states of India.
    Needless to say this gets utilised by Western tourists as well as devout Hindus who may or may not have the same religious practices in mind when they smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If you make it legal to grow hemp in the State of California and impose punitive taxes on importation of it, then local growers will explode and the demand for dope from Mexico and Columbia will collapse - nobody will be looking to buy their overpriced, blood-soaked crap when they can get good quality stuff, homegrown and ethically produced.

Most of it is already homegrown in California. The drug wars are really being fought over the hard stuff, it's estimated that all of 3% of cartel income is from MJ. Granted, 3% of a gazillion dollars is still no small change.

Interestingly, the residents of Humboldt County, the Weed Capitol of the US, are against the proposition. If passed, prices will fall dramatically and the county's residents' income will drop accordingly.

Theoretically no. In practice, yes. The Gonzalez vs Raich case linked to by the Minister confirmed the principle, but in reality there was no way of determining if any particular piece of MJ found in one state originated in another. The principle is being taken to court again in MSSA vs Holder, the difference being that the items in this case are made of metal and have 'Made in [State]' engraved into them. Currently it's at the 9th Circuit level, at least eight States are supporting it.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

cannabis-legalized-new-york-cnn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Let them have a national referendum then. even though they dont even do that for the presidential elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I feel bad for Amsterdam. Their tourist industry will suffer when Americans realise they don't have to go around the world to get legal weed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

RasTa wrote: »

hahahaha i hope this isn't your idea of a politically winning soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭snowyeoghan

Even if it passes(prop 19), the Feds will step in.

Law enforcement have made their opinions clear in the past few weeks by raiding several dispensaries (that weren't in breach of any law).

I will be voting for the legalization, even though I'm not a user.

Besides, if you want it that bad, its very easy to get a medical card here.

Let them have a national referendum then. even though they dont even do that for the presidential elections.

Why do people persist in this ridiculous idea that the US is a single body made of one population? It doesn't matter what the majority of the population believes, it matters what the States believe. Just because the Constition basically says that for all external matters only the Federal Government is authorised to act on behalf of the fifty States as a whole does not mean that the nation internally must act the same way, and it's designed not to.

NTM

Even if it passes(prop 19), the Feds will step in.

Law enforcement have made their opinions clear in the past few weeks by raiding several dispensaries (that weren't in breach of any law).

Two issues with this. Firstly, the post could be read that there is an implication that the law enforcement agencies involved were Federal. Just want to make it clear to all that this is not usually the case.

Secondly, looking at some of the raids from this month, I'm not convinced of the 'not in breach of any law' comment.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/Medical-Marijuana-Dispensaries-Raided-Local-Man-Arrested-105031959.html
    San Diego County narcotics detectives, working with Santa Barbara deputies, also raided the home of James Harder on Lake Decatur Avenue. Harder, 30, is suspected of running the Helping Hands Wellness Center in San Diego as well as two other dispensaries near Santa Barbara. He has been arrested on charges of felony drug trafficking and felony money laundering

http://blogs.pe.com/news/digest/2010/10/region-investigators-raid-inla.html
    Los Angeles County sheriff's Capt. Ralph Ornelas, who oversaw Wednesday's raids, said they targeted a single group of criminals illegally making and selling cocaine, meth and marijuana at the dispensaries.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_16281596
    The Alternative Medicine Collective of Covina, 20050 E. Arrow Highway, Suite B, was forced to close its doors after a multi-agency task force seized its products, along with four other dispensaries in the four-county operation, Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said. No one at the Covina dispensary was arrested.

Under California's Proposition 215, also known as the Compassionate Use Act of 1996, medical marijuana dispensaries are only allowed to operate as non-profits, Capt. Ralph Ornelas of the Sheriff's Narcotics Bureau said.

"This organization was definitely working outside the law," he said.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

In 1997 I visited the Cannabis Buyers Club in downtown San Francisco to meet Dennis Peron,who was running for Governor of California at the time.
    His office was covered in election posters,etc.Im sorry i didnt nab one at the time-they are collectors items now!
    And yes,after telling me all about the club,showing me around,etc,we went back to the office,and blew a fat one....
    Isnt there a pic somewhere of Schwartzenegger having a toke?Big mad wired head on him too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Advertisement