Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good % of marijuana becoming legal in California

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Sorry people, links not working it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭snowyeoghan

Two issues with this. Firstly, the post could be read that there is an implication that the law enforcement agencies involved were Federal. Just want to make it clear to all that this is not usually the case.

Your right, I should have made myself clearer.
    Secondly, looking at some of the raids from this month, I'm not convinced of the 'not in breach of any law' comment.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/Medical-Marijuana-Dispensaries-Raided-Local-Man-Arrested-105031959.html

I was basing my comment on the (more local) raid in Santa Clara http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_16351051

Make of it what you will.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I was basing my comment on the (more local) raid in Santa Clara http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_16351051

The first paragraph seems to indicate the police had some reason to believe the place was operating beyond the law.
    One local and influential police chief said other pot clubs in the South Bay are in danger of the same fate if authorities find they are illegally profiting from providing marijuana to sick patients

Generally speaking dispensaries that stay off the radar tend not to get raided.
    "I think the law enforcement implication is that any one who is operating a marijuana collective or dispensary should pay close and careful attention to attorney general's guidelines,"

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bump because today Californias vote on Proposition 19.

For the first time in almost four decades, Californians will vote on an initiative that would legalize possession and cultivation of marijuana. The measure, on the Nov. 2 ballot, would make it legal for anyone 21 or older to possess, share or transport up to an ounce of marijuana for personal use and to grow up to 25 square feet per residence or parcel. Cities and counties would be authorized to regulate and tax commercial marijuana production and sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

What time should the vote be in at? Any good coverage of it?

• Advertisement

Polls should open in a bit, it's currently half 7 in the morning in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i feel more stressed about this vote than i did about the lisbon treaty - the potential is here from today for one of the most influential states in the world to show the rest of us how progressive societies deal with their problems (that'd be by logical thinking btw)...

fingers crossed...

what the opinion on whether it passes guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I don't believe cannabis is legal for recreational purposes anywhere in the world, though I stand to be corrected on this, which would make California the first, hopefully with others to follow, ending the current, ridiculous status quo.
    Not quite legal for recreational so much as spiritual purposes, in certain states of India.
    Needless to say this gets utilised by Western tourists as well as devout Hindus who may or may not have the same religious practices in mind when they smoke.

eh holland.......

FatherLen wrote: »
    eh holland.......

no, common misconception. it's not legal for recreational use officially, it's decriminalised. coffee shops operate in a sort of legal limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

ah i seeeeeee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

This is pretty big.

I would bet once all other countries see the economic benefits that this will bring revenue wise, they will swiftly follow suit.

I really hope it goes through and fair play for giving the people the right to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

The gro-culture in Cali is so established that the state probably won't reap as much revenue as they think.People will grow their own more.Especially if the quality is compromised in the legal product,which it most likely will if Tobacco is anything to go by.

They will have to ensure a top grade dynamic product range at a very competitive price in order to compete with the underground cottage industry that already exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Fingers crossed, but I'd imagine the drinks companies etc. have spent a lot of money campaigning for a 'no' vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

I don't think it will matter if they legalize cannabis in California, federal drug laws will supersede state laws and people will still be arrested and charged by federal law enforcement. Either that or the federal government will realize how ridiculous and expensive prohibition is and just hold a national referendum to end prohibition. Here's an interesting page listing many cannabis prosecutions/convictions in California and other states. Some of the sentences are incredible, some over 20 years in prison.

http://www.canorml.org/news/fedmmjcases.html

I don't think it will matter if they legalize cannabis in California, federal drug laws will supersede state laws and people will still be arrested and charged by federal law enforcement. Either that or the federal government will realize how ridiculous and expensive prohibition is and just hold a national referendum to end prohibition. Here's an interesting page listing many cannabis prosecutions/convictions in California and other states. Some of the sentences are incredible, some over 20 years in prison.

http://www.canorml.org/news/fedmmjcases.html

Surely that makes it hugely important?

TPD wrote: »
    Surely that makes it hugely important?

The federal government are irrational when it comes to cannabis legislation. There are too many vested interests that would not like to see it legalized and it's those vested interests who have the most power in D.C. Lobby groups have a disproportionate amount of power and I don't see that changing much because one state decides to legalize cannabis. Those with the money hold the power in U.S. politics.

Fingers crossed, but I'd imagine the drinks companies etc. have spent a lot of money campaigning for a 'no' vote.

they dont actually - the yes campaign was funded to the tune of about 3.5m, the no campaign a few hundred thousand...have a look here

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/marijuana/

The federal government are irrational when it comes to cannabis legislation. There are too many vested interests that would not like to see it legalized and it's those vested interests who have the most power in D.C. Lobby groups have a disproportionate amount of power and I don't see that changing much because one state decides to legalize cannabis. Those with the money hold the power in U.S. politics.

Change has to start somewhere.

i feel more stressed about this vote than i did about the lisbon treaty - the potential is here from today for one of the most influential states in the world to show the rest of us how progressive societies deal with their problems (that'd be by logical thinking btw)...

fingers crossed...

what the opinion on whether it passes guys?

Low. Last poll showed it trailing by 7%. I'm inclined to agree, I've got more important things for my tax dollars to be spent on than a useless conflict between State and Federal law enforcement.

NTM

• Advertisement

Change has to start somewhere.

it'll all come down to whether - if passed - cali can make tax dollars from it. if it can, i suspect both business and government will have a nationwide change of heart.

if they can squeez 1.3bn from it in one state...

Low. Last poll showed it trailing by 7%. I'm inclined to agree, I've got more important things for my tax dollars to be spent on than a useless conflict between State and Federal law enforcement.

NTM

still close enough considering any margin of error and whether the youth vote does in fact turn out.

it's a shame that you're worried about the money which may be spent on this after the vote - the issue here is (or should be) about the majority of the people inacting laws which suit them which they've chosen for themselves

it's a shame that you're worried about the money which may be spent on this after the vote - the issue here is (or should be) about the majority of the people inacting laws which suit them which they've chosen for themselves

Your verbiage seems confusing to me. Isn't that how most laws are enacted?

NTM

NTM

The prohibition laws were originally enacted to suit a small minority, namely Dupont.

NTM

sorry about that, i'll try again.

i'm trying to say you shouldnt be worried about your tax dollars being spent on the legal implications, the will of the people being implemented is more important.

I generally agree (Usual caveats about fundamental rights being trampled by the tyranny of the majority apply).

I don't much care why the People vote whichever way they vote on prop 19. Some will vote against because they can't spell marijuana. Some will vote in favour because they don't realise that they can get it legally if they have a medical condition. That's their business. I have a will of the person, and that will includes not seeing any particular benefit to creating an expensive conflict between California and other States.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

sorry about that, i'll try again.

i'm trying to say you shouldnt be worried about your tax dollars being spent on the legal implications, the will of the people being implemented is more important.

What if their will is to see lower taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

bluto63 wrote: »
    I feel bad for Amsterdam. Their tourist industry will suffer when Americans realise they don't have to go around the world to get legal weed
    Don't forget the whores, people will still want to go there for whores.

I'd say Amsterdam will keep getting cannabis tourists it's a mecca for everything weed related and just a cool city to be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Merzbow

I'm moving there next year, this is just an added bonus if the law passes!

Advertisement