Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast food places: Do you tidy up afterwards?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

phasers wrote: »
    Yes of course, although my friend has a weird theory that if she cleans up the staff won't disinfect the tables so she always makes us leave something like a cup and a napkin :confused:

Don't really see how an undisinfectanted table would be a big issue, as most people seem to use the trays, or rather the paper bit on the trays or the cardboard from the Big Mac box to put their chips onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Well, if most of friends clear their stuff up I usually do, but if I'm first to get up I usually don't.

I just think of it like this, those people are getting paid to put that stuff in the bin, if everyone was to put their things in the bin, less staff would be required, so by not putting my rubbish in the bin, I'm saving a member of staff from getting fired, thus helping the economy as more taxes go to the government to help the country.

So, by not clearing up your rubbish, you're actually helping the country! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I always clear up, it only takes a few seconds. I remember seeing the Des Bishop work experience a few years ago and watching him get into an argument with some drunks about clearing up their litter. They came off as complete knob heads, it's common courtesy ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I always clean up after myself in a fast food place or a cinema. One thing thing that annoys me is when people don't take responsibility for their own rubbish. The mentality of "ah sure isn't it someone job to do it" is the just kind of attitude that makes me rage.

On a side note, I was having lunch in the Burger King on Adelaide street in Dublin 2 years ago. I knocked my drink over and righted it before it all spilled out, so I went and got some napkins to mop the spillage off the table. One of the employees noticed me and came over to give me a hand though I had it cleaned at this point. He said in all the time he had worked there he had not once seen anyone make any attempt to clean up something they had spilled until that day. I took it as a compliment but then I realised that it says more about the general public (that go to Burger King) than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's looked down on here too, you just don't seem to realise it for some reason.

It's not really quite a % of people at home walk out and leave their rubbish on the table. Here they'd actually call you back and ask you to clean up after yourself. And I work in retail for minimum wage so I'm not doing the high and mighty better than thou routine, it's just an acceptable thing to do.
    +1 for your pocket. Less staff means they can sell the food cheaper.

Whether they do reduce the price or not is another matter.
    I think the big fast food brands here - Burger King, McyDs, KFC are actually more expensive! It's all about getting a big dirty kebab from the turks on the corner here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I always clean up after myself. Some has done their job giving you you're meal, cleaning up after is my way of saying thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

I always do it.

Unless, of course, the staff are c*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,220 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Or even as the knackers in McDonalds on Cruises St, Limerick do and fire the empty trays around upstairs :mad:
    And get kicked out by security, proper order

Even in a cinema, do you take your rubbish with you to a bin outside, even if there are floor staff?

Ah I remember my experience of this. They started throwing their chicken nuggets at myself and a friend. When we were leaving, I just said they shouldn't throw away their Christmas dinner. One followed us, threw packet of ketchup at my friend, and from all of 2 yards he missed. So my friend says 'ha ya missed ya dumb cúnt'. As that was on the stairs and the ketchup packet went down whole way, security came up, and moved them away:D

And yes, we did clean our table away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i'd always clean up! i don't expect other people to clean up my mess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's not really quite a % of people at home walk out and leave their rubbish on the table.

Yeah and that % are ignorant and inconsiderate.

Just because some people are rude doesn't mean it's any less looked down on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I always tidy up after myself in places like McDonalds. I would never make a mess and just walk away from it, ick.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I do, and also eat the m&ms people inevitably don't finish and leave behind in teh cinema on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I do, and also eat the m&ms people inevitably don't finish and leave behind in teh cinema on the way out

Im always forgetting my M&M's in the cinema. They should have smaller bags FFS!

On tidying up, yes i do. It doesnt take much effort

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The only people who don't let their mammy's wipe their arses too. Fecking swine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Of course I do.

I wasn't brought up to leave a mess behind for other people to clear up.

If the argument is that people are paid to clear it up for you: so are street-cleaners so I assume it's OK to litter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Sometimes i clean up, sometimes i don't bother. When i walk into a fastfood place,it's quiet,there's a couple of members of staff stood at the till chatting and then they barely even look at me when i order never mind say please or thank you i tend to think not a hope of me cleaning up after myself. At the end of the day it is the restaurants responsibility to have enough staff on to clean up after people so i don't particularly think it's bad manners to not clean up after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Depends, more often then not I dont clean up but sometimes I do.

Im not making a mess like a kid or a big family/group when I eat soall my wrappers and empty cartons stay on the tray and not on the table or floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Dont usually eat in McDonalds and those places, mostly do the drive-thru, but I would put it in the bin every time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

On the rare occasion I would eat in McDonalds / Burger King etc. I always clean up after myself.

A friend of mine works in a cafe and it's the same there. I wouldn't leave my tray, plate and other rubbish behind, I return them all to the proper place or to the bin to help the staff. It's only manners, regardless of the establishment or who you know that works there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Paddy C wrote: »
    On the rare occasion I would eat in McDonalds / Burger King etc. I always clean up after myself.

A friend of mine works in a cafe and it's the same there. I wouldn't leave my tray, plate and other rubbish behind, I return them all to the proper place or to the bin to help the staff. It's only manners, regardless of the establishment or who you know that works there.

It'd depend on the cafe. I'll stack the tray, but sometimes it's not obvious where to bring the thing.

Fast food has an easy to locate large bin that just requires one swift move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Always in fast food places.. or anywhere you have a tray.. Never in the cinema.. never thought of it.. but may in the future now.. Id be the first to complain if there was popcorn all over my seat...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Usually I do ya.

I'd have remembered if you did me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Always in fast food places.. or anywhere you have a tray.. Never in the cinema.. never thought of it.. but may in the future now.. Id be the first to complain if there was popcorn all over my seat...

Just about to say the same thing about the cinema.
    It's something I've never considered.
    Definitely would in any fast food place, and I notice that my mates wouldn't have any intention of cleaning up. But when they see me carry a tray for all of ten seconds to the bin, they'll pick up theirs and follow suit.
    They don't follow me off cliffs though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

They don't follow me off cliffs though

My mate Jimi Heselden does..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yeah I tend to clean up after meself, I always do in Charlies in Temple Bar, the women behind that counter scare the fooking daylights out of me, jaysus you'd make sure you had the wages ready for them every Friday if you were married to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I would tidy up the items onto the tray to make it neater but tbh i rarely remember to put it in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I do always but I have to admit I probably didn't before I worked in Supermacs/Burger King - It's only good manners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Like most people, I've worked in fast-food places when I was younger.

I'm not sure it's correct to say that people are paid to clear your table. It's usually the case that one or more employees are told to mop up spillages, keep the place clean, and if necessary clean up people's crap if they don;t dispose of it in the large swing bins provided for this purpose.

A waiter on the other hand is specifically employed to clear dishes, bring food and so on.

My other reason for cleaning up after myself (apart from a good upbringing and basic manners) is that when n the place is busy, you could be leaving people sitting at a table full of crap before a staff member gets to them. I myself have stood beside a table many times and the people there have walked away leaving a table of crap. Sometimes people just abdicate the duty to good manners and blame it on others to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Really not sure how its good manners to clean up after yourself. The customer pays to eat food served to them. The worker is paid to make the food and then clean up after them. How is not cleaning up after yourself bad manners? If people have paid for the the food and the service of having their table cleaned for them afterwards then i don't think it is bad manners for people to not clean up after themselves.

Advertisement