Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clash X Counter - 20th November 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I believe that cake is mine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

goddamn i can't believe i missed that cake

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

5:28
    clapper.gif

Yo Vyze, I think your chips were missing some salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Tetly is gdlk

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Super Street Fighter IV:
    1st - Chris "Ian McTetly" Duignian
    2nd - Simon "The Truth" Lau
    3rd - Chris "Cobelcog" McEntre

Tekken 6 Bloodline Rebellion:
    1st - Simon "The Truth" Lau
    2nd - Dwyer Mulholland
    3rd - Holly "Tsukiko" Grimes

BlazBlue Continuum Shift:
    1st - Gerard "Jarvy" Mc[something]
    2nd - Vaughan "QMtwo" Yabsley
    3rd - Joe "Chuey" Chu

---

Big thanks to everyone who was able to make it and congrats to anyone who placed well in their tournaments!

We definitely needed this first-time event as a learning experience. For a start, we know there's a lot of work to be done in terms of scheduling and ensuring tournaments run on time. Also in making sure that certain staff members know what they're supposed to be doing. :P

Absolutely any feedback is welcome since we may be able to run another one next year and we obviously wanna improve on the issues that were present at CXC. Let me know of anything you liked, disliked, or something anything that could make next time better.

Hope y'all had a good time!

• Advertisement

And instead of trying to be fancy with a moonwalk 5B, I should've just jumped that 720 and done a normal combo. :( Oh well, worked out in the end when fighting my way through lower bracket!

edit: Just started watching the vid. I'm a pioneer, yo! Also, noticed that a few of you guys seemed quite confused by a few of the rules (e.g. character switching rules), think we might need to simplify it for some of you next time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Vyze wrote: »
    edit: Just started watching the vid. I'm a pioneer, yo! Also, noticed that a few of you guys seemed quite confused by a few of the rules (e.g. character switching rules), think we might need to simplify it for some of you next time. ;)
    Or, you know, NOT do silly a silly character lock between matches.:pac:

Don't think I've seen that done anywhere else... really caught me off guard, and it was a little distracting to have someone tap my shoulder when I was plugged into my music during the deciding rounds of the tie-breaker...I was about to yell at Joe for making it hard to concentrate on a matchup I didn't know until I realised it was a tournament organiser doing it.:pac:

Also, Vyze, could you send me the top 8 from the CxC BB tourney? I'm gonna incorporate them into the WoH standings, since I think you mentioned you used the WoH standings for CxC placement.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lol, the ruleset you used in the final was used in the final in SSF4 in Cannes. Even Daigo and Eita were confused by them and stood up to leave when they'd only played about half the matches they needed to.

I honestly don't understand how "player from upper bracket needs to win 2 sets, player from lower bracket needs to win 3 sets" is confusing, though. :/

Basically think of it like getting a bonus life of sorts when you get to the finals, so instead of having one "life" left from being in lower bracket, they now have two; the player from upper bracket, instead of having his original 2, now has 3.

At least Daigo and Eita could blame it on the language barrier! ;)

Though we did have a few people confused at how a group work when we drew out a group table. That really bamboozled me as to how people couldn't understand those!

I honestly don't understand how "player from upper bracket needs to win 2 sets, player from lower bracket needs to win 3 sets" is confusing, though. :/

Basically think of it like getting a bonus life of sorts when you get to the finals, so instead of having one "life" left from being in lower bracket, they now have two; the player from upper bracket, instead of having his original 2, now has 3.

At least Daigo and Eita could blame it on the language barrier! ;)

Though we did have a few people confused at how a group work when we drew out a group table. That really bamboozled me as to how people couldn't understand those!

It's easy for the person who makes the rules to understand the rules. In general, it's best to keep things as simple as possible :)

Double elim is complicated anyway, it's just adding an extra layer of obstraction on top when you see what's usually a set over only to find it isn't.

• Advertisement

We'll probably try to make things simpler next time. Although for those rules I'm pretty sure they were put in for ranbats before I started adminning any events and myself and everyone else up north was able to make sense of 'em. :/

Hope I don't seem too salty about needing to explain the rules! It's just that one or two staff members commented on a few people moaning about the rules at length to them while they were busy trying to run matches. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Pretty fun day, for Tekken I got to scrub it up bigstyle on the projector - can't wait to hear the commentary on that. Was actually quite pleased with my game against Simon (whatever his new handle may be), thought I made the most of my oppertunities but against Tsukiko and Inferis I had absolutely no idea how to play against their characters at neutral position and it showed, and lets not even talk about the attempted shining wizard pause incident. :o

(big shout out to Inferis for letting the game continue after that blunder - our match was hardly SRS BSNS but rules are rules after all)

Was playing BB better than ever for most of the day and still managed to fail horribly in my group(sharing it with Jarvy and Xinkai didn't exactly help, mind).

Side games were good fun (especially 3S) and their presence is a constant reminder that there desperately needs to be more love for games that aren't SF4.

This is starting to sound like a play-by-play and I'm sure I'm not so interesting that you all need to read one (but hey, maybe you're bored at work), so I'll wrap up with this: Can we get copies of the little hype posters that were dotted around the building? Those were kickass.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Interesting day.

Anyway I an encoding the hypest moment of the day as we speak. I'll prob be asleep when it's done so it'll prob be tomorrow when it goes live.

That comeback was so hyped ^_^

Why can't you switch characters on loss?

Ramza wrote: »
    Why can't you switch characters on loss?
    Well...you CAN...but you have to stick with that character to your next game...? Even if you change who you're fighting?

In a best 2/3, for example, if person X loses they can switch character. And same for person Y. And it doesn't carry over to your next fight

What rules do you NI guys use?

Northern Rules is that it DOES carry over to all subsequent fights.
    Personally, never heard of a tourney doing that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I don't agree with that rule either

It's very silly and has no consistency or even rationality to it

Like the Ultra switching rule that was debated on SRK some time ago

No one agreed with the rule, even the NI lads we were talking to.

In fact I recall shortly before the DSRB ended the rule was finally supposed to be changed after pretty constant feedback to that effect. I can understand why people were frustrated to see it return, seeing as no one seems to like it, and it doesn't make sense to most who play (if you're good enough to make a strategic counter pick work, then you should be allowed be good imo).

Hardly ruined the day for me it was awesome, and indeed if I could get a copy of the "go home and be a family man" poster I'd love that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My only real complaint about the day was that when a tournament starts three hours late and you have three setups, use them all for the tournament, not just one.

The excuses that "I don't have 360 degree vision." and "People could lie about the result." are just complete bull****.

Instead of getting home before midnight like planned, I got home at about half two.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cloudpaul

My only real complaint about the day was that when a tournament starts three hours late and you have three setups, use them all for the tournament, not just one.

The excuses that "I don't have 360 degree vision." and "People could lie about the result." are just complete bull****.

Instead of getting home before midnight like planned, I got home at about half two.

The point about lying over the result isn't bull****, it's a precautionary method. People cannot be treated differently from a complete stranger simply because "he's cool, I know that guy". The only time this was subject to change was in the SSF4 group that you and I were in and I was taking results, although this was settled by me saying the result out loud so people could hear and the fact we were sitting directly beside the admin desk so we could be seen and heard. If I'm going to take that level of precaution with myself then I am not going to change it for anyone else.

As for the setup and time issue, the only staff member who wasn't either busy, in the BB tournament and therefor considered an influence or wasn't an actual dedicated staff member (Doom, Blinn etc.) was me. I was not happy with it either and when I found someone who could do some of the other matches I asked them to do so. If I hadn't taken your comment on board and found someone you might'nt have gotten home til 4. Tournaments starting late is a major issue and we apologize for that, we'll do our best to ensure it doesn't happen again or at least to that degree. It's the first time we've run a dedicated event such as this (all others being part of a normal Dragonslayers day) and we know now how to cut some of that time down.

As for the previous comments about the rules, I was using our old RB rules but I agree they need an over-haul and it is something I will be examining for the next event. Constructive notes about how to do are welcome so feel free to discuss it with me either here on in PM.

I thought the latest tournament was BB which was (unfortunately) 2 hours late. Was one of the others 3 hours late? If it's BB you're referring to, then it definitely ran on more than a single setup.

One of the reasons BB was so late was that most of the people who were willing to staff were BB players and, as we need to be accountable for our decisions due to running the event for a University society, I wanted to avoid possible claims of someone inserting themselves into a particularly easy group so we needed to have a non-BB staff member available for group placings.

edit: Also we had a couple of people saying they wanted copies of one or two of the posters. I don't really have handy access to a printer any more to send them out, but here's a .zip file with the posters we used in case those people wanna print their own!
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6WXEB97Z

I don't really have handy access to a printer any more to send them out, but here's a .zip file with the posters we used in case those people wanna print their own!

Awesome stuff, some of them might even make cool promotional T-shirts.

Awesome stuff, some of them might even make cool promotional T-shirts.
    That'd be cool, but we're nowhere near big enough to go for t-shirts, sadly! I think we'd need to be able to expect over 100 people attending before that could really be justified, unless people wanted to pay for their own shirts.

Anyhoo, I've got a summary of the feedback reports (I'll be checking them in more detail later, but now I just have points that were brought up but no names attached so it may not even have been you guys who mentioned these!) but just to address a few of them that were filled in:

"Food & drink"
    There's sometimes strict rules due to health and safety and so on selling food at drink at an event without a real caterer. In any event, there was a shop downstairs and a Clement's which does a delicious hot chocolate! We hope the toffee at the front desk at least made up for that a little! Just for future though, we don't really plan at the moment on supplying food and drink outside of minor things like those toffees, or Shane's awesome 3rd Strike cake!

"Better time management"
    I've been kicking myself all weekend about this, and it's definitely something we need to work much harder at. We'll be much stricter about starting on time instead of waiting for additional players (although luckily doing that brought Tekken from 3 players up to 8) and about ensuring staff are available for each game.

"Commentary for ALL fights"
    There seems to be a bit of a north/south divide on this one. The southern scene absolutely loves commentary, whereas the opinions I've had from several northern players is that it either adds nothing or will spoil the final footage. I think the best solution would be to have commentary recorded separately so that the option of having both the original and the supplemented audio tracks is there, but that's purely down to equipment and Doom already worked so hard for the event that we could hardly ask him to do any more!
    Commentators definitely need chances to practise (although I think the BB commentary was the best and most insightful of the weekend, despite a few rare instances of move properties and whatnot being wrong) but this is definitely a split decision as to whether people enjoy commentary. It's something we'll need to discuss in more detail in future to find a compromise.

"More proper games - no anime ****"
    ARCANA HEART AND BB PLATINUM-ONLY TOURNAMENT CONFIRMED FOR CLASH X COUNTER 2: UGUU DESU

"Rules"
    As said in previous posts, this is something to be looked at. We've used these rules up north for years and never had any issues, but we may need to simplify the rules for future events in order to accommodate everyone who may not be used to them. Namely, the character switching rules.

"Couldn't hear the background music"
    Didn't get details in the summary as to whether this meant in-game background music or the fighting game OSTs being played over the PA. If it's the music over the PA, then we'll need to maybe have a look as to where we put the speakers next time, since either it's too quiet to hear at the back or it's so loud that the guys at B1 are deafened. I'm crap with acoustics so I'll get someone smart to sort this out for me. ;)

As for the games people want as main tourneys next time, I didn't see GGXXAC or 3S in the summary, but I'll assume that was because they were run as side-tournaments this time around and so people already knew there was interest in them. 3S was larger than any of the official tournaments on the day, so fo' sho' you'll be seeing it at next CXC!

I thought the latest tournament was BB which was (unfortunately) 2 hours late. Was one of the others 3 hours late? If it's BB you're referring to, then it definitely ran on more than a single setup.

One of the reasons BB was so late was that most of the people who were willing to staff were BB players and, as we need to be accountable for our decisions due to running the event for a University society, I wanted to avoid possible claims of someone inserting themselves into a particularly easy group so we needed to have a non-BB staff member available for group placings.

edit: Also we had a couple of people saying they wanted copies of one or two of the posters. I don't really have handy access to a printer any more to send them out, but here's a .zip file with the posters we used in case those people wanna print their own!

I think there's a bit of cross talk going on here, let me try and clear the whole thing up.

Last time Chopper myself et al were up for DBNI we didn't get back for 2 am because we couldn't get people to move. So this time, we were well aware if we didn't get out of the building by 7 we were stuffed.

We weren't going to leave chuey and voa as they're not so used to the whole Belfast travel thing so we got frustrated when time was creeping on and there were several machines going unused for tournaments.

For me next time, I am just going to book trains back so all the ROI people have a deadline to work by.

It might be an idea on your side to relax the rules a little and let people who're well known in the scene like myself and chopper to keep an eye on a match and call you over if there's an issue. I helped out with seedings with the DSRB a couple of times so it's not like there was ever an issue with an outsider having some effect then.

Just a thought!

We tried, where possible, to have tournaments (other than Tekken due to the small numbers) to be running on as many machines would could, depending on the amounts of copies we had or how many staff were capable of running tournaments (a few of our staff members had never run fighting game events before and so had other duties to perform, e.g. manning the reg desk or checking the money for the prizes, etc.)

Getting more trusted members of the community is certainly something we could inspect as a possibility in future. The only problem is that is anything goes wrong, I'll immediately get it in the neck from Dragonslayers for leaving a tournament where there is cash involved in the hands of non-staff members (who are therefore not entirely accountable). We'll need to check up more on that in future.

I just hope that some of the people who were more adamant about our rules being "wrong" can be trusted to still run by whatever rules are laid out to them for the tournament. ;)

On a lighter note, if anyone has any photos from the event, feel free to whack em up on the Facebook page!

"Rules"
    1) As said in previous posts, this is something to be looked at. We've used these rules up north for years and never had any issues, but we may need to simplify the rules for future events in order to accommodate everyone who may not be used to them. Namely, the character switching rules.

"Couldn't hear the background music"
    2)Didn't get details in the summary as to whether this meant in-game background music or the fighting game OSTs being played over the PA. If it's the music over the PA, then we'll need to maybe have a look as to where we put the speakers next time, since either it's too quiet to hear at the back or it's so loud that the guys at B1 are deafened. I'm crap with acoustics so I'll get someone smart to sort this out for me. ;)

For point 1 Vyze, this simply isn't true, I have twice seen people get in trouble over this rule, and as long as I have been involved in Irish SF there has been constant feedback that it should go.
    As for point 2, I could probably feed the monitor audio from my desk through to a channel on the main desk and we could have the game sound over the system with no commentary.

Similarly we could use this as a work around to record a seperate commentary track, but I am afraid I don't have the time (or processing power) myself to do this for multiple videos. And my comp is not slow :)

All feedback is good feedback btw, just want to stress I had a good day and realise it was your first go. It's not like all infernos have been perfect!

Don't worry, we've got thick skin up here. :D
    If all we got was people claiming that everything is perfect when it clearly isn't then we'd never be able to improve.

What was everyone's opinions on pricing? One of the Slayers head honchos was saying that it seemed very expensive. I need to find a happy medium between a large prize pot to keep the competitive players happy and having it cheap enough so that more casual players might show up and have a go. Of course, if more players show up, even if they play less, that might raise the prize pot over all.

Oh, and Joe, any idea of where you want your £10 BB-prize-voucher from? If there's a store that we can buy a voucher from, or something of that value that we can send out to you, just give me a shout! :)

• Advertisement

T'was a wee bit on the expensive side but its a subjective topic in more ways than one, it kinda depends on the scale of the event you're paying for.

I think nothing of £5 into one big comp but with several on at once I felt rather finicky about spending £18 to enter everything and divide my attention between them (diminishing returns and all that). Intended to save the pennies and only enter BB but then I felt sorry for Tekken and it's 3 entrants. :pac:

I think the solution would be more distinction between comps, you could keep it £4-5 for games of high billing (SF4 mainly, BB is getting there), and have Tekken and the like as smaller side events for £1-2 as there really isn't the interest to get people paying more. Having side tourneys be very cheap as opposed to completely free might work as I'd enter anything remotely decent for a pound.

Edit: You'd have to have 2 clear price brackets though, Main Event and Side Event. Would help stop random people whining that their game isn't the same price as someone elses. "It's a smaller event with less resources dedicated to it due to the smaller fanbase and competitive interest" or alternatively "STFU n00b"

Advertisement