Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Karma exist?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

paky wrote: »
    im sorry but that belief is insane to me.
    Do you believe in god?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

this thread makes me want to watch My Name Is Earl

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

If you believe in karma you generally have to believe in a higher power. All religions have their god as creater of the world/universe etc, therefore the cause of natural disasdters(acts of god) thus any devestation can be seen as regional or national karma. The karma of an entire area/nation taken into consideration and punished as such
    Nope.

We Buddhists aren't monotheists - we are atheists and don't believe in any over-arching God figure. Karma to a Buddhist is basically a fundamental law of the universe.

Your argument is a bit like saying to a physicist that he must believe in a God if he believes in Newton's Three Laws of Motion.

lil'bug wrote: »
    this thread makes me want to watch My Name Is Earl
    Such a good programme, Nadine Valasquez...nyom
    Nope.

We Buddhists aren't monotheists - we are atheists and don't believe in any over-arching God figure. Karma to a Buddhist is basically a fundamental law of the universe.

Your argument is a bit like saying to a physicist that he must believe in a God if he believes in Newtons Three Laws of Motion.
    AFAIK there is more than the bhuddist belief in karma. Hindu for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

It can be applied in many ways,

If you believe in karma you generally have to believe in a higher power. All religions have their god as creater of the world/universe etc, therefore the cause of natural disasdters(acts of god) thus any devestation can be seen as regional or national karma. The karma of an entire area/nation taken into consideration and punished as such

But if "it can be applied in many ways", can't you have your way that God and karma are defunct whereas I ave my way of believing in God and Karma?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I begrudge nobody for their faith, just there acceptance that their Diety is the cause of all good.

Hmmm, with regard to the cancer thing, is scientists created a form of life in a lab, and that form of life were to get sick and die....did the scientists create the disease or did it just manifest itself within the life form due to occurring biological events AFTER the creation itself.

Also, i believe most people who believe in God follow the "he gave man free will" line.

Not trying to be a cock here, it's just that it's not often a thread like this runs smoothly and i do enjoy discussions like this, and i also enjoy playing (pardon the pun) Devils Advocate. :)

barbarians wrote: »
    But if "it can be applied in many ways", can't you have your way that God and karma are defunct whereas I ave my way of believing in God and Karma?
    Indeed that is your perogitive.
    Hmmm, with regard to the cancer thing, is scientists created a form of life in a lab, and that form of life were to get sick and die....did the scientists create the disease or did it just manifest itself within the life form due to occurring biological events AFTER the creation itself.

Also, i believe most people who believe in God follow the "he gave man free will" line.

Not trying to be a cock here, it's just that it's not often a thread like this runs smoothly and i do enjoy discussions like this, and i also enjoy playing (pardon the pun) Devils Advocate. :)
    It depends. Did they create the life forms entire genetic code from scratch?

I agree they very rarely do as extremeists from both sides generally tend to ruin it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Do you believe in god?

when it suits me

paky wrote: »
    when it suits me
    Well I find that belief insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't think it's just a case of being a nice person and good things will happen. I think to be a genuinely nice person, you have to be a happy person with a positive outlook. When you have a positive outlook, you can take things on the chin a bit easier so it seems bad things don't affect you all as much.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    I don't think it's just a case of being a nice person and good things will happen. I think to be a genuinely nice person, you have to be a happy person with a positive outlook. When you have a positive outlook, you can take things on the chin a bit easier so it seems bad things don't affect you all as much.
    Also people will be more willing to do nice things for you.

If yer a right **** someone will always try to bring you down a peg or two

Also people will be more willing to do nice things for you.

If yer a right **** someone will always try to bring you down a peg or two

people will always find something wrong with you weather your good or bad. its called jealousy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

pinkpigs wrote: »
    I've had a rough week and feel that I'll never get a break. Some pals have been trying to cheer me and up and they tell me that Karma is a b*itch and will always come back to bite poeple in the ass.

I don't really believe in it.. just wondering what the consensus is?
    I do.

I've seen it, it can take a few years for people to get the full blown whack of it but it defnitely comes back around and if you've behaved as a decent person you'll get your comupance and if you've behaved like a pig you'll get that comupance too..... There's times I'd have loved to have gotten revenge but by rising above it I've held my tongue and I've seen Karma kick these people when they least expect it. I've also gotten kicked myself and eventually I've figured out why I deserved what happened. Things happen for a reason AND there's a reason why things happen.

I'm talking about things like people being bullies in school finding themselves in nasty relationships - not world wide natural disasters. Although I suppose there is a certain degree of natural balance that must be kept by the odd natural disaster, or mother nature's way of culling the human species but that's probably an entirely different thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I sort of agree with the idea of karma as in, you do good things then good things will happen. You do bad things, bad things will happen. It's a nice ideal to go by, however I also know life isn't like that. I do however believe that life is like a radio wave, somewhat like the image below - it has highs and it has lows, some short lived, others longer lasting but always going up and down.

emwave1.gif

Karma reminds me to try be a nice person, however the radio wave idea keeps me rooted and makes me realise (in my mind) that there are things beyond my control that will influence my life positively and negatively.

Last few months I was going through a rough patch with college, work and extended family health issues. Was trying to re-assure myself that I was just on the low part of the wave and that it would go on the upswing once again. Family member passed away, screwed up an exam, applied for a job only to be told there were no positions to begin with. Things were looking bleak to say the least. Then around 3 weeks ago things were looking up, passed my exam, got called on monday for interview for today which went well etc etc. So that's my idea of the ups and downs however next story lends itself well to the idea of karma :)

Earlier today in work asked a colleague if he'd like some coke, he said yeah and offered me the euro for the can, said it was cool that I'd get it for him. Only a euro after all and it's nice to be nice. Got him a can and it gave me change even though id put in the exact coinage, so got 2 cans of coke for a euro. Karma? Maybe. Faulty machine? Most likely.

Why do murderers live a full life, all be it in prison when there are kids in 3rd world countries who've done nothing wrong in their whole lives and starve to death? That's where karma sorta gets me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

WindSock wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree with that. I agree with all the common-sense interpretations of it - but this abstract, mystical force?
    Like, a school bully ending up in a bad relationship - that to me is just everyday life stuff that's gonna happen to people, former school bully or not. It could happen to someone who was never a bad person - and what did they do to deserve it?
    "Good things happen to good people" is quite naive. Sure, that is often the case, but not because of karma. Horrific things happen to good people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sh1t happens, you can attribute it to karma, god, luck, whatever. our tiny brains arent quite capable of realising we're not really that special in the grand scheme of things so invent these mystical overseers who look out for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Bad stuff happens to you, you just have to deal with it but over the course of a lifetime i think the good stuff is balanced out with the bad stuff in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Always believe in karma, it helps us treat other people better and gives us peace of mind and patience when you can't change some of the horrible people that are out there in the world!

Linguo wrote: »
    Always believe in karma, it helps us treat other people better and gives us peace of mind and patience when you can't change some of the horrible people that are out there in the world!

What about people that dont believe in karma? do you have to believe in it for it to affect you? or do non believers get a free pass?

krudler wrote: »
    What about people that dont believe in karma? do you have to believe in it for it to affect you? or do non believers get a free pass?

I think it's more a way to try and live your life, whether you believe in karma or not as a mystical thing it's a framework for how to treat people in your life and that being bad to people will eventually bring badness or hurt upon yourself. Of course, some people get away with blue murder and live happily ever after but in general bad deeds bring about unhappiness in the end.

• Advertisement

Linguo wrote: »
    I think it's more a way to try and live your life, whether you believe in karma or not as a mystical thing it's a framework for how to treat people in your life and that being bad to people will eventually bring badness or hurt upon yourself. Of course, some people get away with blue murder and live happily ever after but in general bad deeds bring about unhappiness in the end.

just like christianity then, do what you like but accept jebus on your death bed and its a vip pass into the pearly gates.

Ah religion/spirituality, you self contradicting little scamps.

karma is like saying 'mocking is catching'

just like christianity then, do what you like but accept jebus on your death bed and its a vip pass into the pearly gates.

No not like that, be as kind and patient as you can to others and generally, you'll find more kindness comes your way. If you're horrible to people, if you do a lot of bad things, you are more likely to end up lonely, afraid, regretting your actions and ultimately sad. That doesn't mean good people will always end up happy and bad people will always end up sad, it's just a nice way to look at the things that happen in our lives.

Hmmmm.....not that easy though, as you need to truly accept Jesus are your Lord and Saviour, not just pay a lip service "I'm sorry!" and in you go.

Some awful half arsed "arguments" being bounced around in this thread. We'll never get anywhere at this rate.

Hmmmm.....not that easy though, as you need to truly accept Jesus are your Lord and Saviour, not just pay a lip service "I'm sorry!" and in you go.

Some awful half arsed "arguments" being bounced around in this thread. We'll never get anywhere at this rate.

What exactly is "truly" accepting Jesus? prayer count? mass attendance? facebook friend request?

I beleive it's having the jesus is my homeboy t-shirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 benix1

I beleive it's having the jesus is my homeboy t-shirt
    same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭La frog fairy

had my days in my early 20s where i acted not too nice at times with people and later on in years got in some sort of ways a payback you could say so call it karma or whatever it is, i dont know, but in retrospect i can see its probably all about learning your lesson, im far more a better person now and its not by fear of karma but to feel good about myself.

I go by treat people the way you want to be treated, that way i make my own karma;)

See what a late night on saturday makes me write on a sunday!

What exactly is "truly" accepting Jesus? prayer count? mass attendance? facebook friend request?

Look, it's a fairly obvious answer, I really don't think you need me to answer that for you. It means accepting Jesus, completely and totally, into your heart and asking forgiveness for your sins. It also means acceptance of the gravity of those sins.

It would be the acceptance of Jesus as a believable truth in the same way as you believe you have a hand, or a head.

I understand the argument that you are trying to make, but it's already covered by the doctrine of the Church, so your argument is moot.

Look, i am no Catholic, but there was a time when it was considered an important aspect of debate to truly, complete understand what it is that you are debating, from all sides and angels.

It's fairly clear, and i don't mean you in particular, that a LOT of the folks on boards who are endlessly arguing against the concept of a God are putting in no real effort or depth into their arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Yeah, i definately belive in Karma. It makes sense when you think about it.

Karma's a bitch when you act like one. If your mean to people and talk badly of people, it will be picked up on and you will loose friends/friendly faces and will eventually end up on your own (am witnessing this atm after being being talked badly of and put down). So yeah, i definately believe.

If your nice to people, people will be nice to you. Why would you be awful to somebody and refuse to lend a hand to somebody who is always friendly to you/offering help?!

;)

Advertisement