Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froyo for Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Simi wrote: »
    This method is for METEOR users stuck on 2.1 because they have an odd firmware or those that have installed custom firmware and wish to install the official meteor 2.2 update.

*Disclaimer: I take absolutely no responsiblity for this breaking kies. Remember to disable any lag fixes you have installed before attempting this. I also highly recommend a factory reset before proceeding.

1.) Unintstall Kies.
    2.) Download and install this old version Kies_1.5.3.10093_82.
    3.) Open Kies, plug in your phone & wait for it to be recognised.
    4.) Click UPGRADE. Kies will show no update available.
    5.) Click CANCEL but leave Kies open.
    6.) Run regedit. Edit the following settings.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies\]
    "LocalVer"="1.5.3.10103.100"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies\DeviceDB\N *]
    "SoftwareRevision"="I9000XWJM2/I9000OXXJM1/I9000XXJM1/I9000XWJM2"
    "ProductCode"="GT-I9000HKDMET"
    "HIDSWVER"="" **
    "DEVCONINFO"="" **

* N is a number from 1 to 4 in your Regedit that has the SoftwareRevision and product code entries.
    ** Make sure you delete whatever is in HIDSWVER and DEVCONINFO.

7.) Now close regedit.
    8.) Click UPGRADE again and if everything went well you should be able to upgrade to the official meteor froyo. PDA:JPA / PHONE:JPP / CSC:JP7
    9.) Proceed as instructed by Kies.

(Adapted from a guide posted by traiviet on xda-developers.com.)

Gave those steps a try, but now I'm getting an error about not being able to connect to the update server. Any ideas?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

This is the update server -

http://msupdate.emodio.com

Click it and you should reach a 403 page, if not, something is blocking it for you.

JustinOval wrote: »
    This is the update server -

http://msupdate.emodio.com

Click it and you should reach a 403 page, if not, something is blocking it for you.

Yeah I'm getting a 403 page. That's the URL in the registry too. :(

Firewall blocking Kies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

This afternoon, I decided I'd had enough of Kies and upgraded via Odin.

I used this tutorial: http://www.techlivez.com/2010/07/how-to-upgrade-galaxy-s-to-android-2-2-tutorial/

edit: soooo much faster now. thank christ.

edit again: this is the official release, care of Simi. use it instead: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=844459

• Advertisement

Firewall blocking Kies?

Tried again there with firewall disabled and still getting the same error. So annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

RonnieL wrote: »
    Gave those steps a try, but now I'm getting an error about not being able to connect to the update server. Any ideas?!

I'm afraid there's not much I can do to help you with Kies. It either works or it (more likely) doesn't. Try uninstalling & reinstalling the version i posted. Make sure you don't let it auto update kies when you run it & check to see if it's being blocked by a firewall/anti-virus.

I used this tutorial: http://www.techlivez.com/2010/07/how...-2-2-tutorial/

Xiney that version of froyo is a very early beta release & will probably lack some features & develop issues over time. This is the latest european rom released for use with odin http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=844459. Make sure you use CSC_I9000OXXJP7 as it contains the csc codes for most Irish mobile networks EXCEPT 3.

If you are on 3 i recommend you don't update using any method other than kies as the csc for 3 Ireland i.e. 3IE isn't available in the wild afaik. You will have to use a generic code and will lose all 3 specific features.

I'm on JP0... Whatever that means..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

I'm with Vodafone and the message I get when I try to get the Firmware Upgrade is:

"Cannot access the model information server. Try Later"

Too many people are trying to access the server at the same time. Update was released in a few countries at the same time. Keep trying or try early morn/late at nigh

I'm afraid there's not much I can do to help you with Kies. It either works or it (more likely) doesn't. Try uninstalling & reinstalling the version i posted. Make sure you don't let it auto update kies when you run it & check to see if it's being blocked by a firewall/anti-virus.

Xiney that version of froyo is a very early beta release & will probably lack some features & develop issues over time. This is the latest european rom released for use with odin http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=844459. Make sure you use CSC_I9000OXXJP7 as it contains the csc codes for Irish mobile networks.

Cool, thanks.

Do you mind if I ask what I should do when I move to Canada?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Xiney wrote: »

I used this tutorial: http://www.techlivez.com/2010/07/how-to-upgrade-galaxy-s-to-android-2-2-tutorial/

edit: soooo much faster now. thank christ.

edit again: this is the official release, care of Simi. use it instead: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=844459

Did you back up or lose much data?

I'm on 3 and Kies has completely stopped working on my PC so will probably follow this tutorial. Only concern is that 3 specific apps and functions (Free Sky Sports, free Skype, current spend checker) will not work afterwards, any idea about this?

Did you back up or lose much data?

I'm on 3 and Kies has completely stopped working on my PC so will probably follow this tutorial. Only concern is that 3 specific apps and functions (Free Sky Sports, free Skype, current spend checker) will not work afterwards, any idea about this?

3 apps all go, but you can re-install Skype, the spend checker is really only a link (IIRC), no idea about Sky sports.

Sorry, I'm on Meteor so I have no idea about 3...

I'm sure there's a way to backup apps. You'd want to have that so that you could keep any that you'd paid for. I didn't bother on account of wanting to declutter anyway.

3 apps all go, but you can re-install Skype, the spend checker is really only a link (IIRC), no idea about Sky sports.

I'm sure there's a way to backup apps. You'd want to have that so that you could keep any that you'd paid for. I didn't bother on account of wanting to declutter anyway.

Okay, well Kies will absolutely not work for me so decided to go ahead and use the XDA tutorial above.

Did ye lose files etc?

Great success. Now running 2.2. Didn't lose any data that I can see so far. Want to get back to 3 branding if at all possible using this guide;
    XDA wrote:
    When using a *Multi CSC* you need to select the CSC matching your product code (see above how to check). Open the dialer and type *#272*IMEI# (IMEI being... your 15 digit IMEI code )

But can't find the 3IE option to install when I open the menu? Anyone have any ideas?

Phone is now performing brilliantly. I am missing those "3" default apps though.

You'll need to wait until 3 release their version of 2.2, then re-flash.

Paid apps are linked to your gmail account, you can download freely anytime. Mybackup pro will gather all of the .apk files and data if you want to backup and re-install a load of apps in one go, but I think the missing 3 apps could be installed in the system, and therefore not backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Got this there at the weekend, not sure if its the meteor branded version or not, due to the unknown state of my phone! :D

Anyway though, anyone found that the stock browser is a lot less smooth when scrolling on 2.2?

Overall performance is much improved alright though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So I've been running Froyo 2.2 (Meteor Bill pay) since last Friday and I've noticed a few bugs that didn't happen when I had 2.1
    • I can't use any WEP encrypted wi-fi networks. When I enter the encryption key, it says "obtaining IP address" for a minute or so, and then disconnects. I can access WPA no problem.
    • Google Talk app goes through phases in which it won't work, saying "cannot connect to server". This is happening in areas of full 3G connection. This will last for a while and then it works grand, and then a few hours later it won't work again.
    Anybody have any similar issues? My Galaxy S was definitely working better using 2.1 than 2.2! :mad: (I had very little or no problems using 2.1, which is the opposite to nearly everyone else!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I don't have a WEP network to test on but my Gtalk is working fine.

I have heard of several people having problems after upgrading to 2.2 and a factory reset seems to fix them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Great success. Now running 2.2. Didn't lose any data that I can see so far. Want to get back to 3 branding if at all possible using this guide;

But can't find the 3IE option to install when I open the menu? Anyone have any ideas?

Phone is now performing brilliantly. I am missing those "3" default apps though.

Afaik there aren't any 3IE csc's in the wild. What csc is it using atm? If you change your csc you will lose all your apps and data so I'd recommend leaving it.

I had a browse through some of the roms posted on xda and have yet to come across one with 3IE in it.

Regarding your loss of 3 branded apps. Best thing to do is wait for 3 to officially release froyo, then go to a 3 store and ask them if they can flash it with 3 branded firmware for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Scotty # wrote: »
    I don't have a WEP network to test on but my Gtalk is working fine.

I have heard of several people having problems after upgrading to 2.2 and a factory reset seems to fix them.

thanks, I might try a factory reset then. I have contacts & messages backed up and my apps saved to my external SD card. Do I need to back-up anything else?

Your APN settings so you can use the internet after reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

'3Ireland Skype' works. As does Free Sky Sports (wish they'd fix the low audio :()

Not ever used the current spend checker. I just use My3.

Edit: I couldn't find a froyo 3IE either. I've just left mine as KOR (or it might be XEU now) - I'll have to double check.
    ...(Free Sky Sports, free Skype, current spend checker) will not work afterwards, any idea about this?

'3Ireland Skype' works. As does Free Sky Sports (wish they'd fix the low audio :()

Not ever used the current spend checker. I just use My3.

Edit: I couldn't find a froyo 3IE either. I've just left mine as KOR (or it might be XEU now) - I'll have to double check.

Can you post the link for the free Sky Sports please? Thanks.
    Afaik there aren't any 3IE csc's in the wild. What csc is it using atm? If you change your csc you will lose all your apps and data so I'd recommend leaving it.

I had a browse through some of the roms posted on xda and have yet to come across one with 3IE in it.

Regarding your loss of 3 branded apps. Best thing to do is wait for 3 to officially release froyo, then go to a 3 store and ask them if they can flash it with 3 branded firmware for you.

Currently using the multi-csc (JP7 ??) I think.

Just come off wifi for the first time and I don't seem to have 3G access. When I try to select networks I have two options for "3" but neither of these give me data access.

I'm getting an error message saying that I have lost data connectivity because I left my home network. Don't have any APNs either?

A bit lost, any help appreciated. :o

From this thread Linky, I believe this is the correct link:

http://www.live.3ireland.g-box.tv
    Can you post the link for the free Sky Sports please? Thanks...

I got the APNs from the Samsung Configuration site - link

Once installed I had to blank out the Proxy, Port and Username to get it to work.

From this thread Linky, I believe this is the correct link:

http://www.live.3ireland.g-box.tv

Do you have a similar link to 3 Skype? I can't get to Planet3 since flashing.

• Advertisement

Yup. I'm using:

My3 - http://mobile3.3ireland.ie/837_sc

TodayOn3 - http://mobile3.3ireland.ie/sdf/quickmenu/1002

3Skype - http://mobile.3ireland.ie/sdf/skypexrdr
    Scotty # wrote: »
    Do you have a similar link to 3 Skype? I can't get to Planet3 since flashing.

Advertisement