Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Preparing for winter

Options
  • 14-10-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Just a thread with some things to check before it gets really nippy.

1. Check your coolant/antifreeze level.
    If you've been topping up with water only lately the mix will be off so you'll need to add more antifreeze. If you can't remember when you changed coolant last this may be a good time to change for fresh stuff. Simply DIY or ask for quote in local garage.

2. Add windscreen washer fluid to the reservoir.
    Pick up in any garage. It'll keep the washer water from freezing. Perhaps a new set of wiper blades too?

3. Check all bulbs front and rear. Don't put this off!
    Also check if the headlights are straight so you don't blind oncoming traffic.

4. Will your tyres have grip?
    You don't want to start skidding on frosty streets in the mornings. New tyres are cheaper than denting someone else's car.
    Check and replace before this happens.

I'm sure there's more but this is from the top of my head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Can a mod make this a sticky. Good thread for drivers unaware of the extreme basics which there are a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

switch off fog lights if theres no fog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Throw a can of de icer & a cheap scraper in the boot. Maybe keep a pair of gloves 'handy' in case of a brake down. :)

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Driving-advice/Driving-Kit.aspx

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Driving-advice/Harazards-of-Winter-Driving.aspx

have some good info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭lau1247

marious wrote: »
    switch off fog lights if theres no fog

+1, those thing are just as bad as high beam

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

biko wrote: »

1. Check your coolant/antifreeze level.
    If you've been topping up with water only lately the mix will be off so you'll need to add more antifreeze. If you can't remember when you changed coolant last this may be a good time to change for fresh stuff. Simply DIY or ask for quote in local garage.

Pick up in any garage. It'll keep the washer water from freezing. Perhaps a new set of wiper blades too?

3. Check all bulbs front and rear. Don't put this off!
    Also check if the headlights are straight so you don't blind oncoming traffic.

4. Will your tyres have grip?
    You don't want to start skidding on frosty streets in the mornings. New tyres are cheaper than denting someone else's car.
    Check and replace before this happens.

I'm sure there's more but this is from the top of my head.

I agree with preparing car for the winter. But most of what you proposed, has nothing to do with winter.

1. Checking coolant level... Doesn't matter if it's winter or summer - you need proper level of coolant.

3. Checking the bulbs... Don't you need them all year round?

4. New tyres... As size of tyre tread make horrendous difference on wet road, it doesn't really make any difference on ice or black-ice.

I agree with anything else.

What I can add from myself.
    Try to get one of these coolant freezing level tester. You can get one on ebay for a couple of bob. Then you can check what's the freezing temperature of your coolant. In Irish conditions if it was more then -15 I'd be concerned.

And the most important thing that most people usually don't think about.
    Beside preparing a car - prepare a driver.
    Driving on frosty roads and snow is different. It might be more difficult, but it's still perfectly possible.
    It's just a matter of practice - so DO practice.
    Find some empty big space (maybe some empty parking) covered with snow or ice, and try how good you are with controlling your car.
    The more you practice, the bigger the chance you will be safe on the road then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

plenty of wax on the car to give added protection against the winter elements and soon to come salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

biko wrote: »

I buy the official VW screenwash because it's effective at cleaning the windscreen and only costs 5 euros for a bottle (250 mls) of concentrate which makes up 25 litres (25,000 mls), I make it up 5 litres at a time. What I put in the tank is one part screenwash to 100 parts water so has virtually the same freezing point as plain tap water. I don't think any screenwash is intended to prevent the tank from freezing.

Drive to the conditions and you won't need to prat around in car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most screenwash you can buy does help prevent the water in your water tank from freezing, but needs the concentration to be increased to be effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

coylemj wrote: »
    I buy the official VW screenwash because it's effective at cleaning the windscreen and only costs 5 euros for a bottle (250 mls) of concentrate which makes up 25 litres (25,000 mls), I make it up 5 litres at a time. What I put in the tank is one part screenwash to 100 parts water so has virtually the same freezing point as plain tap water. I don't think any screenwash is intended to prevent the tank from freezing.

Go into a motor factors, buy a big canister of screenwash concentrate (which should be mostly alcohol, check the label) and dilute 50/50. That way it won't freeze even if it gets as cold as last year.

Nothing is more dangerous than your screenwash just making it out the jets but freezing on impact with the cold screen and nothing is as useless as frozen screenwash

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Go into a motor factors, buy a big canister of screenwash concentrate (which should be mostly alcohol, check the label) and dilute 50/50. That way it won't freeze even if it gets as cold as last year.

Wouldn't the smell of the alcohol be a major problem every time you spray the windscreen? I drive a Golf and the default ventilation settings (with the a/c switched off) does me fine 99% of the time, I can usually detect a whiff from the screenwash when I spray the windscreen but it doesn't bother me too much, however if the liquid had a large amount of alcohol in it I'd expect it to be a major irritant.

I don't have a problem if the screenwash tanks freezes, I just scrape the ice off the windscreen and drive off, the tank usually thaws after a few minutes from engine heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

coylemj wrote: »
    if the liquid had a large amount of alcohol in it I'd expect it to be a major irritant.

Are you Irish? :D:D

It's not so much the freezing bottle you need to worry about, it's the jets and the pipes

Yes, 100% Irish and will be washing down a curry lunch tomorrow with a couple of bottles of Cobra. However industrial alcohol is another matter, would the stuff you're talking about smell like methylated spirits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

CiniO wrote: »
    I agree with preparing car for the winter. But most of what you proposed, has nothing to do with winter.

1. Checking coolant level... Doesn't matter if it's winter or summer - you need proper level of coolant.

3. Checking the bulbs... Don't you need them all year round?

4. New tyres... As size of tyre tread make horrendous difference on wet road, it doesn't really make any difference on ice or black-ice.

I agree with anything else.

1. Your car is less likely to freeze within the engine and crack the block etc during summer as opposed to winter.

2. Winter has less daylight hours than summer. Not everyone keeps their lights on at all times while driving. Not everyone changes bulbs when they go straight away.

3. Why does your count go 1, 3, 4 and not 1, 2, 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Simple advice here:

If its frosty/icy/snowing start your car off in second gear and avoid spinning your wheels

Remember once salt/grit has been put on the roads you should assume they are greasy for a long period after

In poor condition all braking, steering and accelerating should be smooth and gentle

Look ahead in poor weather, they're maybe a flood, accident or branches on the road or even worse a pedestrian with no reflective belt on

Test your brakes after leaving a flood

Clear/Clean all your windows inside and outside, and don't forget your mirrors if necessary

Put a pair of polarized sun glasses in your car for low level sunlight

Slow down slightly when its raining etc, 10KPH can make a huge difference but not to your arrival time

Safe driving is a skill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Tesco are doing a rain poncho and emergency blanket in a pack the size of a deck of cards for €3. Worth it IMO.

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Slow down slightly when its raining etc, 10KPH can make a huge difference but not to your arrival time.
    It does if you don't leave slightly earlier to compensate for the slower speed.

Bonito wrote: »
    It does if you don't leave slightly earlier to compensate for the slower speed.

Have you ever had an accident weather it was your fault or not?

It can take hours longer to make it to your destination if you make it at all ;)

Have you ever had an accident weather it was your fault or not?

It can take hours longer to make it to your destination if you make it at all ;)
    If I leave for work tomorrow at my normal time and drive 10kmh slower than normal, I'll be late for work.

If I leave for work tomorrow at my normal time and drive 10kmh slower than normal, I'll be late for work.

I assume thats because you will of been the victim of road rage

And if your in traffic I would assume if you went 10kph slower you wouldn't be moving at all :D

• Advertisement

I assume thats because you will of been the victim of road rage

And if your in traffic I would assume if you went 10kph slower you wouldn't be moving at all :D
    I despair.

I despair.

I'm not going O/T with this as its about reminding people to drive safely in winter.

If you have a problem with me pointing out that driving 10kph slower in poor conditions will give you a greater stopping distance and more chance to react for the driver than start a thread or PM me.

It was just meant as a friendly reminder for all, I wasn't just putting it there to make you feel special

I'm not going O/T with this as its about reminding people to drive safely in winter.

If you have a problem with me pointing out that driving 10kph slower in poor conditions will give you a greater stopping distance and more chance to react for the driver than start a thread or PM me.

It was just meant as a friendly reminder for all, I wasn't just putting it there to make you feel special
    Yeah and if you're going to drive 10kmh slower you need to leave earlier to get there at your normal time, it's common sense and simple maths.

Yeah and if you're going to drive 10kmh slower you need to leave earlier to get there at your normal time, it's common sense and simple maths.

Possibly I'm confused, I thought you were just being a smart arse with the original reply, reading back I now see where your coming from :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Im going to miss my big oul Toyota hilux surf i had for last years big freeze.:(

The 4x4 ability was very handy for the ice. On two occasions i had to come to the rescue, dragging two nextdoor neighbours cars up the road to our estate.:D

All i have is a puny little corolla now. Ah well at least its front wheel drive. Slightly better than rear wheel drive in slippery conditions.

1. Your car is less likely to freeze within the engine and crack the block etc during summer as opposed to winter.

That's absolutely right. But what's the connection between that and the level of coolant?
    It'a all about how good the coolant is, not how much of it is there.

2. Winter has less daylight hours than summer. Not everyone keeps their lights on at all times while driving. Not everyone changes bulbs when they go straight away.
    Still doesn't convience me about the lights. It doesn't matter if it's October, December or July. You need to have all your lights working properly. Otherwise your car is not roadworthy and should not be driven.
    Completely can't understand why checking it would be the winter thing.
    I personally check my lights in my car every 2 - 3 days.
    3. Why does your count go 1, 3, 4 and not 1, 2, 3?
    [/QUOTE]

I was just answering to OP's points.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Drive to the conditions and you won't need to prat around in car parks.

What do you mean drive to the conditions
    In some conditions it might be, that at 10km/h even a slightest move of the steering wheels might cause skid. You might not be able to climb a hill, or just slide down the hill. Very slight touch on a brake might block the wheels.

For most drivers when it occurs it usually means accident.
    And that seems to be confirmed by statistics. Last winter on first frosts, I've seen tens of accidents on just a 60km stretch of the road.

Driving is not just about operating gas, brake, clutch, gears and steering wheel. Driving is about being in full control of the car. And to be in full control of the car in tough conditions, you just need to know how to do it. It doesn't come from nowhere.

Tell me please, why in Scandinavian countries, on your driving test you have to show that you can control the car while it's skidding?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Adjust your driving to the conditions.

The amount of tools driving in the ice and snow of last winter as if it were a summer's day with not a care in the world were unbelievable. Them and the tail gaters on your back bumper when braking and steering are seriously limited... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

1. Get a car cover, put it over your car when you get home from work, will save you alot of hassle in the morning, costs about 8 euros.

2. Keep a big coat and a change of clothes in boot of your car

3. Drain the coolant and swap for a full anti freeze mix down to -25.

4. Put a good mix of Windscreen washer into your container .. DONT use it to clear your windscreen in the morning.

5. Check the news before you head out in the morning, try to stay on the travelled parts and remember at least the traffic jam is melting the ice.

Got down to -23 last year !

TBH I think Winter Tyres aren't all that great, it doesnt get cold enough around these parts to warrant it and they are useless in the wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Im going to miss my big oul Toyota hilux surf i had for last years big freeze.:(

The 4x4 ability was very handy for the ice. On two occasions i had to come to the rescue, dragging two nextdoor neighbours cars up the road to our estate.:D

All i have is a puny little corolla now. Ah well at least its front wheel drive. Slightly better than rear wheel drive in slippery conditions.
    4x4 only helps with starting off. On ice you're in the same boat as everyone else when trying to stop.

Advertisement