Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Preparing for winter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

4. Put a good mix of Windscreen washer into your container .. DONT use it to clear your windscreen in the morning.

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Gitb1 wrote: »
    Why not?
    It might shatter the screen. Letting the heaters slowly clear it while spraying de-icer on the outside is safest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

coylemj wrote: »
    Wouldn't the smell of the alcohol be a major problem every time you spray the windscreen? I drive a Golf and the default ventilation settings (with the a/c switched off) does me fine 99% of the time, I can usually detect a whiff from the screenwash when I spray the windscreen but it doesn't bother me too much, however if the liquid had a large amount of alcohol in it I'd expect it to be a major irritant.

LOL, I've heard it all now.

I think you are thinking about this a bit too much.. the smell of screen wash being a problem for a few seconds!

I always go to the motor factors, buy 5L of concentrate, and bung in about 500ml/1L in to my 5L reservoir (depending on the season) and dilute to full with water, I'll put in a bit more in special circumstances like last winter. Its only about 6 quid for a good brand like holts.

Just to confirm, the smell has never irritated me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

what about getting up 10 to 15 minutes earlier and allowing the car to defrost before setting off

I was doing a Limerick run last winter and the amount of morons shooting out of housing estates looking through a 4 inch space on the windscreen was unreal . .. no sideways or rear vision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Gitb1 wrote: »
    Why not?

try it at - 8 deg C and you will find out for yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

biko wrote: »
    3. Check all bulbs front and rear. Don't put this off!
    Also check if the headlights are straight so you don't blind oncoming traffic.
    No. 1 irritant.
    Might i add to that to make sure you have lights at all!
    "Oh look, a motorbike with a fogli...****!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

One very valid point i want to add, if you have to drive up a hill in snow/ice, DONT STOP YOUR CAR. was driving home one night in the freeze last year and some idiot (who had a clear road ahead) decided to stop in the middle of the hill, wasnt able to get enough grip to start off and decided to let the car out of gear and coast backwards, had i not have left a clear gap then she would have back straight into me, she takes a second stab at it and stops again, gives up and parks on the side of the road, my turn comes, so rather than just turning left and going up the hill i went right round the roundabout to get some power up, took the hill in second gear and made it in one shot.

Moral - If you need to go up hill make sure you have enough power and dont stop, also dont tailgate the person ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

One thing that I have not seen mentioned but I think is vital is to check so your breaks are even on left / right side, and that the abs is working properly (if you have abs). This can become quite dangerous when you are breaking on ice even if you are driving slowly as the car could steer up sideways.

"Test-sliding" in empty car park is a great idea.

Oh and get a new kettle (for redundancy). You will not be able to pour boiling water on your icy windscreen to melt the ice in the morning if you have only one and it breaks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

swe_fi wrote: »
    Oh and get a new kettle (for redundancy). You will not be able to pour boiling water on your icy windscreen to melt the ice in the morning if you have only one and it breaks. :D

don't ever do that, you risk cracking your windscreen. (or at least make sure you've a spare windscreen handy :P)

Ice scrappers are €2-3 quid in supermarkets these days, much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

don't ever do that, you risk cracking your windscreen. (or at least make sure you've a spare windscreen handy :P)

Just for clarity, it was a joke :-) Shocks me every time i see this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I've always used luke warm water, cold enough to put your finger in without being uncomfortable should be fine.

If you are really stuck for an ice scraper a cd box is great or failing that a credit card (or something of that sort) has rescued me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

If you're buying stuff from camskill they have special offers on for winter products http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m37b0s4361p0 might be worth a check.

Also if you're lazy like me http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m37b0s4387p56796 pretty handy stuff, stops a load of condensation building on the inside of the windscreen, saves a bit of effort in the morning as you only really have to worry bout the outside of the car :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

If your battery is getting tired, replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

RoverJames wrote: »
    Drive to the conditions and you won't need to prat around in car parks.

Wheres the fun in that? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

gyppo wrote: »

Good point. Whilst you can still get away with a dodgy battery during good weather periods, nothing kills off a tired battery like a good few cold winter morning starts.

Just on the point of the anti-freeze issue, if you don't know what you're doing don't attempt to DIY - you could get an air lock in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

gyppo wrote: »

I second that. During the cold spell, I wrapped the battery (which was approx 6 years old) in a warm blanket at night as the cold was killing the battery. I removed the insulation before starting off.

I'm still using the old battery. I don't think I'll get a second Winter out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

2. Add windscreen washer fluid to the reservoir.
    Pick up in any garage. It'll keep the washer water from freezing.

I dont know if your correct here..going on my experience, my waterjet continously frooze during last years cold winter spell and I had windscreen washer fluid inside reservoir and I top it up and put it in regularly.

But again last winter wasnt like any normal winter in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

But how much of a mix did you have? You'll need something like 50% washer fluid to 50% water to prevent freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Stephen wrote: »
    But how much of a mix did you have? You'll need something like 50% washer fluid to 50% water to prevent freezing.

The window washer fluid I used at that time kinda made my windowscreen hazy and greasy. It was difficult to see through it at night when the lights from oncoming cars would shine through it. This was when I had 50:50 concentration inside reservoir. I reduced the amount of fluid after that, that may explain why it frooze in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

White vinegar will lower the freezing point, not by much mind.
    It doesn't get as greasy as windscreen wash but it does make you wanna have some chips :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I don't really know what's the whole hassle about washer fluid about.
    On the continent, you can buy already prepared fluids on all petrol stations, which have freezing level at -20 or even -30.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

TBH I think Winter Tyres aren't all that great, it doesnt get cold enough around these parts to warrant it and they are useless in the wet
    Cormie hates you now.... :eek: :D
    White vinegar will lower the freezing point, not by much mind.
    It doesn't get as greasy as windscreen wash but it does make you wanna have some chips :D
    Especially after inhaling the alcohol that's already in the mix....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Anyone here with higher value cars considering putting on a set of winter tyres this year ?

Won't be doing it myself. I'll take my chances as my car is only worth about 2 or 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

swe_fi wrote: »
    One thing that I have not seen mentioned but I think is vital is to check so your breaks are even on left / right side, and that the abs is working properly (if you have abs). This can become quite dangerous when you are breaking on ice even if you are driving slowly as the car could steer up sideways.

"Test-sliding" in empty car park is a great idea.

If you're breaking on ice it's too late:D

Anyone here with higher value cars considering putting on a set of winter tyres this year ?

Won't be doing it myself. I'll take my chances as my car is only worth about 2 or 3k.

What's the differenct what value is the car?
    I'm putting winter tyres on my 03 Primera.
    Did the same last year when I had 02 Mondeo.
    But pretty much the only reason is that I'm travelling to the Continent.
    Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you're breaking on ice it's too late:D

Too late for what?
    Are you saying it's impossible to brake on ice?

CiniO wrote: »
    Too late for what?
    Are you saying it's impossible to brake on ice?

Not impossible but getting there with standard tires unless you know what you are doing and very few Irish people know what they are doing.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not impossible but getting there with standard tires unless you know what you are doing and very few Irish people know what they are doing.

And that seems to be the problem.
    I proposed to do a little bit of training before driving on slippery surfaces earlier in this thread, so already got few replies like "drive to the conditions, so you won't need to practice".

Problem is that Irish people seems to not want to learn how to drive properly.

CiniO wrote: »
    And that seems to be the problem.
    I proposed to do a little bit of training before driving on slippery surfaces earlier in this thread, so already got few replies like "drive to the conditions, so you won't need to practice".

Problem is that Irish people seems to not want to learn how to drive properly.

We can't practice driving on ice till we get ice.

You can't practice ice driving in a an empty car park, which could be several km's away, without driving on ice to get to said empty car park. If you manage to get to the car park you can drive on ice if not then you're one of the muppets who can't and no amount of practice will change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

M + S rated tyres with 7mm of tread left on them , heated washer jets + insulated screenwash bottle + good alcohol based mix , high vis jacket, 4wd, first aid kit , triangle, spare bulbs and spare fuses, Extra driving lights, Headlight washers - thats my winter kit , I just hope it wont be as bad as last year

Advertisement