Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clever way to measure tread depth?

• 27-07-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

Does anybody have a clever way to measure tyre tread depth, something 1.6mm deep such as the edge of a coin or... hmmm...I suppose I could go to Halfords.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

All tyres have tread depth indicators on them, if this shows replace the tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://www.2pass.co.uk/tyres.htm shows how to check.

From here
    Description/Underline:
    The tread depth is measured in the main grooves. On modern tires, a tire wear indicator (TWI for short) is very useful in this regard. The statutory minimum tread depth of 1.6 mm has been attained when these supplementary crossbars are flush with the surrounding tread. Tread depth can also be checked with a one-euro coin. The coin is inserted into the tread depth. If the coin\'s golden border is still visible, the tire has insufficient tread depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

All tyres have tread depth indicators on them, if this shows replace the tyre.

Thing is that the thread depth indicator on a tyre is set at 3mm and not the 1.6mm crazy low legal limit set in Ireland. I think its 1993 since the law was updated in this country with regards to tyres. The 3mm set on the tyre itself is inline with most European countries and is a much safer limit to go by. If you've ever seen a tyre on the actual Irish limit of 1.6mm its virtualy bald. Crazy stuff. No way I'd let mine down past 3 mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

woody33 wrote: »
    Does anybody have a clever way to measure tyre tread depth, something 1.6mm deep such as the edge of a coin or... hmmm...I suppose I could go to Halfords.

A CR2016 watch battery is 1.6mm thick, but you'd have trouble using it itself to measure thread depth.

If you happened to have such a battery, you could mark the thickness of the battery on a piece of card, and use that in the tyre thread. Of course, at such a small scale, even the pen you use to mark the line will probably make the measurement inaccurate by a fraction of a mm.

Probably not a very practical solution, but offered in the spirit of the challenge posed by the OP :D

As for the 1.6mm legal limit - that's used in the UK too, so obviously that's why we have it :rolleyes:

Interesting video here comparing the stopping distance between a car on 3mm thread and the same car on 1.6mm thread.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/continental/tyres_for_life/themes/16_v_3mm/video_footage_en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

phutyle wrote: »
    Interesting video here comparing the stopping distance between a car on 3mm thread and the same car on 1.6mm thread.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/continental/tyres_for_life/themes/16_v_3mm/video_footage_en.html

Very interesting video, I'm out to check mine now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

This is shocking, I was not expecting such a difference. It amazes me how a lot of car owners give no consideration to the tyres as long as they dont have a puncture.

Should be manditory viewing for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Use the tyre indicators - quick and easy - although it's not the same as the legal limit, it is a good sign that you need new tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

A CR2016 watch battery is 1.6mm thick, but you'd have trouble using it itself to measure thread depth.

If you happened to have such a battery, you could mark the thickness of the battery on a piece of card, and use that in the tyre thread. Of course, at such a small scale, even the pen you use to mark the line will probably make the measurement inaccurate by a fraction of a mm.

Probably not a very practical solution, but offered in the spirit of the challenge posed by the OP :D

As for the 1.6mm legal limit - that's used in the UK too, so obviously that's why we have it :rolleyes:

in the same vein as this, I wonder if the balder tyres stop quicker in the dry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Wossack wrote: »
    in the same vein as this, I wonder if the balder tyres stop quicker in the dry?

Maybe but a tyre with good thread will still stop slower on a wet road than a bald tyre on a dry road. Which would you prefer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

I like the 1 Euro coin method, my measurements show the gold ring to be 3mm (or so).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Slightly off topic, but very interesting video regarding replacing two versus four tyres on a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

I believe it, but still my local tyre place only a couple of days ago said new tyres should go on the front.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

How many mm of tread are on new tyres?

Can't find the link but I read an article about tyres in the future that will have a trick, so that when they wear a certain amount they will essentially rip exposing new deeper treads underneath - so you'll get more miles between changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

TREAD = trailTread.jpg

THREAD = Polyester_Embroidery_Thread.jpg

Thank you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Zascar wrote: »
    How many mm of tread are on new tyres?.......

It's usually 8mm, sometimes 9mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Slightly off topic, but very interesting video regarding replacing two versus four tyres on a car

That makes sense regarding cornering at relatively high speed in wet conditions, but wouldn't it be safer having new tyres on the front as this would decrease straight line stopping distance in the wet?

I suppose it depends on what kind of driver you are and what type of roads you usually use, but surely in general (especially for city drivers) new tyres on the front make sense :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement