Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.K. cleric: Rape is impossible within marriage

Options
  • 14-10-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

This is making my eye twitch. I just don't understand how people can be so misogynistic!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39664344/ns/world_news-europe/#

U.K. cleric: Rape is impossible within marriage
    Husbands 'may be made to ask forgiveness ... That should be enough'
    msnbc.com
    updated 48 minutes ago

LONDON — A leading Muslim cleric has sparked controversy in Britain by claiming that it is impossible for men to rape their wives.
    Sheikh Maulana Abu Sayeed, who is president of the Islamic Sharia Council, told a website that "sex is part of marriage" and suggested that husbands who commit such acts should not be prosecuted.
    "Clearly there cannot be any rape within the marriage," he told The Samosa website. "Maybe aggression, maybe indecent activity... Because when they got married, the understanding was that sexual intercourse was part of the marriage, so there cannot be anything against sex in marriage. Of course, if it happened without her desire, that is no good, that is not desirable."
    Sayeed runs Britain's largest network of Islamic sharia courts, The Independent reported.
    Rape within marriage has been illegal in Britain since 1991.
    Sayeed told The Samosa that if husband "does something against her wish or in a bad time" that he "may be disciplined, and he may be made to ask forgiveness. That should be enough."
    When contacted by The Independent, the cleric added: "In Islamic sharia, rape is adultery by force. So long as the woman is his wife, it cannot be termed as rape. It is reprehensible, but we do not call it rape."
    Cheshire police Chief Constable Dave Whatton criticized the comments.
    "The majority of rapes do not take place through strangers attacking women late at night but between acquaintances and within marriages and partnerships," he told The Independent.
    Inayat Bunglawala, chairman of Muslims4UK, added: "Sheikh Sayeed's comments are woefully misguided and entirely inappropriate. Rape — whether within marriage or outside it — is an abominable act and is clearly against the law.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Meh, most religions are fairly misogynistic. So long as his opinion only reflects what happens within his religion, and anyone found to have committed rape is sentenced by the actual law, I don't really care what kind of crap 'laws' they try to enforce (so long as anyone can leave the church at any time)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

"A leading Muslim cleric"...

Is as far as I've read of that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

28064212 wrote: »
    Meh, most religions are fairly misogynistic. So long as his opinion only reflects what happens within his religion, and anyone found to have committed rape is sentenced by the actual law, I don't really care what kind of crap 'laws' they try to enforce (so long as anyone can leave the church at any time)

Well, I think a lot of rapes like this go unreported. It's damaging if a muslim man who takes his spiritual guidance from this dude feels it's his right to have sex with his wife whenever he wants and to take it by force if she doesn't want it. This statement exonerates him.

But yes, most religions are misogynistic but most of them have adjusted to at least pay lip service to the actual law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

wow, really disgusting attitude :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

What an idiot.

"Maybe aggression, maybe indecent activity".... :mad:

I think this guy may consult a dictionary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hands up who's surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

amacachi wrote: »
    Hands up who's surprised.

Considering the source it's not remotely surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Would a nine year old know what rape is?

For rape to be proved under sharia law the woman has to provide four male witnesses. :p

When the law is run by islamic extremists the woman who is raped becomes the criminal.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/002-rape_adultery.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

28064212 wrote: »
    (so long as anyone can leave the church at any time)

I think if you leave islam they kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

old_aussie wrote: »

Yeah, Islam is not really a religion you can opt out of safely in some areas. I keep thinking that the world must be making some process in changing peoples minds about sexual violence and then I see stuff like this and it is so disheartening. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

What is so shocking about that! It's not so long ago that the same standard was applied to marriages in Ireland and that lovely bit where the husband got to chose who would live in an either/or situation in childbirth - his wife or his child. Or the legal lack of contraception in this country so lots of women were ground down by their bearing of a child every year.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven". We are only now coming out from under the weight of church rule, maybe it is going to take them 50 years longer but it will happen. In another hundred years or even less we may swing back again to less permissive attitudes. It's the way of the world. It may not be right but history tends to repeat itself. People tend to rebel against extreme strictness but then are repelled when liberalness becomes too liberal.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

What is so shocking about that! It's not so long ago that the same standard was applied to marriages in Ireland and that lovely bit where the husband got to chose who would live in an either/or situation in childbirth - his wife or his child. Or the legal lack of contraception in this country so lots of women were ground down by their bearing of a child every year.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven". We are only now coming out from under the weight of church rule, maybe it is going to take them 50 years longer but it will happen. In another hundred years or even less we may swing back again to less permissive attitudes. It's the way of the world. It may not be right but history tends to repeat itself. People tend to rebel against extreme strictness but then are repelled when liberalness becomes too liberal.

You're right. My Granny was born in 1901 married in 1917 at the age of 16 was constantly pregnant over the next 20-25 years 12 kids survived to adulthood and they gave 5 of them to the church 3 nuns 1 priest and 1 Christian brother. One of the nuns and the Christian Brother were sent home as the church could pick and choose in those days. She died in 1999 at the age of 98 but her health was permantly ruined and she was bed-ridden (Careful now!) for most of her life. So it's not that long ago that we were under the thumb of the church and the rights of Irish women were whatever their husbands or Fathers chose to give them

It is shocking because social mores have changed in the past 50 years and they have changed rather dramatically. I would say that if this statement was made 50 years ago it would not have been in the news because it would just be a reiteration of the same views as everyone else.

Times do change and I think that there has been a lot of progress in most of the world in what is considered acceptable and right and what is considered unlawful and amoral. It is frustrating that it is still something that even has to be discussed. It is frustrating that even though it is now illegal in most parts of the western world I am betting it would be incredibly rare for this sort of crime to be reported let alone successfully prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

That is horrible and F**cking disgusting :mad: Stupid man!

jujibee wrote: »
    It is shocking because social mores have changed in the past 50 years and they have changed rather dramatically. I would say that if this statement was made 50 years ago it would not have been in the news because it would just be a reiteration of the same views as everyone else.

Times do change and I think that there has been a lot of progress in most of the world in what is considered acceptable and right and what is considered unlawful and amoral. It is frustrating that it is still something that even has to be discussed. It is frustrating that even though it is now illegal in most parts of the western world I am betting it would be incredibly rare for this sort of crime to be reported let alone successfully prosecuted.

That is true. I would like to see statistics as to how many marital rapes are prosecuted successfully as compared to non-marital rapes. Why do I have a funny feeling that it may well be more.

I think that 10 years of hard times here in Ireland will see us swing back to closer to the social and religious mores of 50 years ago than to behaviour that is accepted in the present.

Back in the 70s there were still girls being sent to Magdalen Laundries, a unwed girl getting pregnant was still a scandal although it was forgiven if followed up with a quick marriage. The tragedy of Ann Lovett sparked a changeover and made parents who were willing to accept a illegitimate grandchild feel more socially able to accept such a child openly. All through my teens I knew girls who hid their pregnancies. One girl I knew was getting ready to go to a disco and was lying on her bed hoiking up her jeans zip using a hanger hooked through the pull tab of the zip (necessary to get the zip up on the tight jeans we wore then) when she went into labour. Gave her family the shock of their lives and when they'd got over that, the shame of their lives. More mothers pretended that their eldest daughter's child was their youngest although that was not so common in the 70s as large families were on the way out. I knew so many girls who went away to what were called unmarried mothers homes, pretending they were going to Dublin/UK to find work and on finding themselves unable to give their child up for adoption had to make that difficult phone call home.

Nowadays nobody blinks an eye at a girl/woman having a baby outside of marriage. There is no shame (thank feck) attached to either the girl or her family. There may be blame but no shame. What will turn the country back to attaching shame will be the hard years ahead coupled with the girls who give birth to child after child relying on social welfare to feed their children. The people who are working and whose taxes go to providing that welfare are already getting fed up of this. It will not be marriage that provides respectability in the future. I can see some form of finance licence coming in. Where in order to have a child proof of financial ability to provide for that child without relying on others will have to be provided. Those girls who fall pregnant without that licence will be regarded as the scum of the earth and society will turn it's back on them and their offspring. Of course there will be a trade in their offspring among the wealthier sectors of that future society. Then the wheel will turn again. (*heads off to write a screenplay*)

That, to me, is why it is good to get angry when we see such excesses in society and religion but to use that anger at working to change these inequalities rather than just raging uselessly against the machine. Rather than despising Muslims for having such beliefs, work to alter them in some way. Put your money where your mouth is and I don't mean financially.

Mods, any chance of a Muslim bashing forum so that Old Aussie can ply his trade in one place rather than on every street corner of Boards? :rolleyes:

old_aussie wrote: »

That's one up on the Catholic Church who are too busy adjusting their canon law trouser zips to allow you to leave these days.

Making a statement like that preceded by I think is possibly one of the most silly posts made by you in 906 posts and that is saying something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK up for anything and old_aussie lets keep this civil. No bickering please. And old_aussie blatant and ill informed Islam bashing is not on in this forum either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Not surprising. The Qu'ran allows men to rape their female slaves as well.

Sorry Wibbs. I'll behave. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've heard of christians believing this too - the logic of it seems to be that you can't be sexually violated by someone close to you... Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I stopped reading at "Islamic Sharia Council" - Sharia law is bizarre. Think 1940's Irish Catholicism type of bizarre.

People go mad when the pope for christianity says anything about gays. He gets lots of publicity, and some join his religion. I see this publicity stunt no different - a head person says something from his religion which will generate lots of excitement from everyone, and people join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It wasnt so long ago that Irish and British law also believed this. Marriage was a kind of blank cheque and the commodity was consent.

That, to me, is why it is good to get angry when we see such excesses in society and religion but to use that anger at working to change these inequalities rather than just raging uselessly against the machine. Rather than despising Muslims for having such beliefs, work to alter them in some way. Put your money where your mouth is and I don't mean financially.

I think that part of the problem is that there are many moderate Muslims in the US, Europe and the rest of the world but the hardcore Sharia fringe types are the ones that get all the press. The more moderate Muslims, like the people quoted at the end of the article denouncing the statement, get push out of the way and people think that all Muslims are close minded and misogynistic.
    I know there are a lot of women struggling in places like Saudi Arabia and Iran for broader rights. I am not sure how we can help there considering the intense animosity their governments have towards any western intevention.

I also think there is a lot of progress that can be made in more religiously conservative parts of the Western world on enforcing that idea that a Wife is a partner, not a subject or a pet. My uncle is born again Christian and there are a lot of things we just agree not to talk about at family functions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Well, good old Justice Carney was up to his usual repute today, handing out a 12 yr sentence, 4 of those suspended, meaning self confessed psycho who had been secretly filming women around Galway, and plotting and planning his rape victims, with rope and other accessories too unpleasant to contemplate, only has 9 yrs to serve.

When will that prick of a Judge Carney and his outrageously lenient sentences towards seriously disturbed rapists ever be removed from his fiefdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Darlughda wrote: »
    When will that prick of a Judge Carney and his outrageously lenient sentences towards seriously disturbed rapists ever be removed from his fiefdom?
    When he gets ass-raped with a glass bottle, I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

As soon as I saw cleric rape and marriage could see where this was going.
    Rape within marriage has been illegal in Britain since 1991.

This surprised me a bit though. Would have thought the UK would have criminalised it before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I was more surprised by the Sharia court system in the UK. As the constable noted in the Independent article, saying marital rape is not a crime is a direct contradiction of civil law.

Given the post above about the judge in Ireland, clearly civil courts are not always the most progressive when it comes to these kind of issues, but I strongly believe that in Western liberal democracies, there should be no place for any kind of court or legal system outside of the state-run civil court system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Darlughda wrote: »
    Well, good old Justice Carney was up to his usual repute today, handing out a 12 yr sentence, 4 of those suspended, meaning self confessed psycho who had been secretly filming women around Galway, and plotting and planning his rape victims, with rope and other accessories too unpleasant to contemplate, only has 9 yrs to serve.

And how much off for good behaviour? Though to be fair 9 years is relatively high for attempted rape. Considering that judge once gave a suspended sentence for completed rape. I think people have gotten less for attempted murder.

To be clear I personally think attempted rape should get the same sentence as completed rape but (same with attempted murder and murder) but for some reason it doesn't work out that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I was more surprised by the Sharia court system in the UK. As the constable noted in the Independent article, saying marital rape is not a crime is a direct contradiction of civil law.
    But that's not what he said. He said sharia law doesn't call it rape. Anyone committing rape (by civil law definitions) is punishable by civil law. Any sharia-based punishment is on top of that
    Given the post above about the judge in Ireland, clearly civil courts are not always the most progressive when it comes to these kind of issues, but I strongly believe that in Western liberal democracies, there should be no place for any kind of court or legal system outside of the state-run civil court system.
    I don't know about that. We're all part of organisations that have their own rules: it's not illegal for me to bad-mouth my company, but they can certainly fire me for it. Similarly, I don't have to follow religious rules, but they can kick me out of that church if I don't.

The only uncertain area is actual bodily harm. For example, I join a religion which states that someone found guilty of stealing is required to have their hand amputated. If I'm found guilty, they require me to submit to the amputation or leave the church. Those are the only available options. Now, assuming I am fully informed and have given my consent*, is the church performing an illegal act by amputating my hand?

* That is, this situation is not relevant to, for example, women who are subjugated and prevented from leaving or informing themselves

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement