Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭deckstunt

You can down load a Google Earth KML file of the camera locations locations from this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

guil wrote: »

Except with the KML you can convert it to use in sat navs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

ah i see, downloaded it but hadnt a clue how to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Pardonmy ignorance but is this the location of existing stretches that the Gardai use for speed trapping or are these the possible locations of the 600 new cameras?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Pardonmy ignorance but is this the location of existing stretches that the Gardai use for speed trapping or are these the possible locations of the 600 new cameras?

These are labelled "safety cameras" therefore the new scam. I dunno whats happening with old speed trap Garda and equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

irish-stew wrote: »
    Apolagies if it has been answered but what is the break down of the distribution of all these fines, ie between GoSafe, the Guards, and The Goverment. Or is this known.

Hopefully it will reduce accidents, and glad to see alot of roads in Donegal included (not picking on them, from there and drive through it regulary), but I also cant get out of my head that 'money making' and 'shooting fish in a barrel' is not up there as some of the reasons in addition to road safety why this is being rolled out when looking at some of the roads included.

I can see alot of points being racked up on alot of licences in the next week.

According to the media yesterday, the private contractors get paid by the hour not by the number of detections or resulting convictions, so there is no monetary incentive to wildly go shooting barrel fish. Likewise, the Gardaí will not get a cent from the fines and contrary to pub myth, never ever did. So 100% fines go to the State, as always.

That said and considering their contract will expire sometime, I'm sure the private guys will be making sure they appear in the right light to the authorities, i.e. be effective while avoiding to appear over-zealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

main street of gorey and going into enniscorthy:eek: ah come on now.

guil wrote: »
    ah i see, downloaded it but hadnt a clue how to use it

If you have Google Earth you can open it in it. If you have GPS Babel you will be able to convert it to a format that your Sat Nav/GPS/Smart Phone will be able to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

Matt Simis wrote: »
    These are labelled "safety cameras" therefore the new scam. I dunno whats happening with old speed trap Garda and equipment.

I presume the Garda will focus their efforts on the higher revenue generating areas such as the Motorways, Dual carriage ways etc. And of course next year the new 30kph zones will be rolled out across the country so that will keep them very busy. I'd expect the professional catcher companies will want to get some of these zones added to their revenue stream but as long as pay rises are out in the public service the guards will want to hold onto their "promotion zones" (i.e. this is where a garda looking to increase his conviction rate will earn his promotion).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Anybody Know how to put this on a garmin GPS using POI loader ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

touts wrote: »
    I presume the Garda will focus their efforts on the higher revenue generating areas such as the Motorways, Dual carriage ways etc.

Thats depressing. I would have hoped that the privatisation of the Speed cameras would mean Gardai on this (IMO) pointless exercise would be reallocated to actual crime fighting (ie criminal gangs, GTA, Thugs, yob culture, vandalism, theft, assault, drug trafficking etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

C4Kid wrote: »
    Anybody Know how to put this on a garmin GPS using POI loader ?

+1

details on how to do this needed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of the Guards favourite locations (N3 under the bridge near Blanch hopsital, N4 Lucan Bypass at the former Ballyowen Lane turnin, N4 at Liffey Valley, alongside Heuston, outside Guinness, etc) aren't on that so I'd expect they'll still be doing those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

pa990 wrote: »
    +1

I think you need to convert the file to a csv file. Will look it up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

pa990 wrote: »
    +1

+1 on this? can we use the software mentioned above?

I think you need to convert the file to a csv file. Will look it up later.

Spot On, first step is converting to csv but I haven't managed it yet,it's more difficult then I thought!:mad:I'll try again later. Perhaps changing to another format and then going to CSV may be an option.

Garmin File

I've change the kml file to a csv file. 200m proximity warning.

Unforunately I've lost the USB cable to hook my Garmin up to my computer. Would anyone be so kind to take a quick spin with this POI file loaded to see if it works ?

Note: I've had to Zip the file as you can't upload a csv file to boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I do think the saving lives holds a small bit of merit, because yes, if they are placed in a location where accidents have been caused by speed, I would be inclined to slow down because of the possibility of a camera, points and a fine. However I'm sure they'll be put in many locations where there has never been an accident.

Unforunately I've lost the USB cable to hook my Garmin up to my computer. Would anyone be so kind to take a quick spin with this POI file loaded to see if it works ?

Just tried it and IT WORKS, well it's just been loaded onto the gps successfully via POI Loader. I'll take it out later.

I don't know why I was having so much trouble converting it:(

Thank You AugustusMinimus;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

These are the locations for the new "Go Safe" cameras. The Garda list was out dated a week after release, coupled with the fact we could request new locations over the phone and move the vans.
    Matt Simis wrote: »

Nothing is changing within AGS. All speed detection equipment is staying as are the ROBOT vans

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Garmin File

I've change the kml file to a csv file. 200m proximity warning.

Note: I've had to Zip the file as you can't upload a csv file to boards.ie

Will this work with a Tom Tom also?

Tom Tom File

I've read that a Tom Tom uses a OV2 file so here it is.

Just a quick question guys. We need our sat navs to warn us that we are in the stretch of road with speed cameras. I think these files only have co-ordinates for one point for each stretch of road. Dunno how useful they will be.

Think we need someone with a big more expierience of using these files.

Ok I just took a spin to one of the locations with the Garmin CSV file loaded and when the warning came on it said"{{DATA223}}" instead of the spead limit. Thats the problem with conversions I'm not sure whats causing that.

I opened up the CSV file in excel and what comes up when you get near to a set of co-ordinates must be what is written in column C.

If you want, open up the file in excel and replace what's in column C with money collectors or the like.

Problem with this file as I've already said, they only alert you to a point on the map, and not the entire length of the area where the cameras are located.

Guys, I'm going to attempt a csv file on my own.

For these to work, we need to enter both where the speed trap area starts and ends. Hence, for each stretch, we have to have two entries on the excel worksheet.

It gets more complicated though. We have to have some way of working out when you are entering a speed trap area and exiting a speed trap area.

The easiest way to do this, is that when you are entering a speed trap are, I will have the file say "Speed area - Northbound". This would indicated you are entering a speed area if heading northbound. If this comes up but you are heading southbound you know you are exiting the speed trap area.

I'm going to attempt to do Cork City (where I am from) first. I'll upload it when finished and others can have a go off using it.

The way it works is as follows.

Open an excel file

In column A, enter longtitude, in column b enter latitude and in column c enter what you want it to say when you reach these co-ordinates.

Save a csv file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I notice that possibly the most "speed trapped" and clearly the most dangerous stretch of duel carrigeway in the Dublin area (from RTE to Whites cross) doesnt get a mention.....:rolleyes:

Ok I see what You mean in Excel, I thought the 223 had something to do with it as it was just the number of the trap I entered. I'm having a look through it at the moment. Thanks for the heads up;)

C4Kid, are you in Cork.

I've done the entire south side, the north ring road, Ballincollig bypass and Bishopstown and Glanmire. Be great if you could test it out.

A message will pop up when you approach an area. It will stay stuff like "Heading south". If you are heading south, you are entering an area. If you are heading north, then you are exiting it.

If this works, I'll do the rest of Cork City and maybe a bit of the surrounding area. There's a bit of work in and hopefully other's can do their own areas. Eventually we can put a giant excel file together with every location in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

anyone manage to get it to work via mobile phone gps? tried several downloads and googling the solution to no joy. im using a samsung wave and i believe the gps is route 66.

Advertisement