Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

SV wrote: »
    Nah but in general..ya probably should.

Otherwise the chances are you're being an awful annoying little....

*ahem*

I find it best to check and see if I'm causing a queue.

I can honestly say there is never a queue behind me but Im sure this is going to be a money making racket and Im not prepared to get done for speeding everytime I go to the shop. Im making the most of it this weekend before I totally reform my driving habits.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

-Chris- wrote: »
    Do you not think that these cameras will reduce the pressure on the Gardai to catch speeders and will enable them to dedicate more resources to catching people in C5s with laptops?
    You can't automate detection of dangerous driving, laptop use, mobile use etc., but you can automate (and therefore delegate) speed detection.

I feel you're contradicting yourself here.
    I have to agree with chris here what these cameras are all about is more being a deterrent than anything else. To be honest I work as a medic and i must say i will be glad to see these on the roads but i do think it is also a way for the goverment to make a few euros also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

what are the new civilian cars like we have a right to know where the cameras are by law and what the cars look like
    i read somewhere else that this will take pressure of the garda
    but how?

• Handheld and tripod mounted laser guns; GARDA OPERATED
    • Vehicle mounted Puma speed detection equipment, (both marked and unmarked vehicles);GARDA OPERATED
    • Van mounted automatic speed detection radars (Garda operated);
    • Van mounted Go-Safe vans (civilian operated).

so this looks like its more work

we need photos of all the vehicles apart from the vans that stick put like a sore thumb:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Jesus how many more threads are on the same thing...

I can count 3 on the first page..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

ok heres is a good one ive not seen an answer for

gatso van parked up or any of these speedy trappy things
    one car doing legal speed and then a car passes by well over the speed
    the camera goes off both cars are caught as they are in line of camera

WHO GETS FINE HOW DO YOU GET OFF THAT ONE????~?

i will be travelling around cavan and meath and take notes and update tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭2hellr2conaght

News just in. A garage in my area has just got a contract to supply 80 vans to a person connected with ''GOSAFE''. It said on the radio today that this company will have 46 on the road 24/7 so with servicing etc this may be about right. Renault Traffic is what I'm hearing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

hondasam wrote: »
    yes I know, the country road I live on is 80 kmh but that does not mean I have to drive at that speed. motorways are 120 kmh but you are not obliged to reach this speed if you dont want to. A speed limit does not mean you have to achieve this speed.
    You miss my point. The Speed limits in this country are ridiculous.

It not speed that kills, It is bad driving.
    If you compare Motorway speed on a motorway does not kills others on the motorway as much as 80kph as low as 20kph on a byroad that side enough for a small car killing a pedestrian while travelling around a bend while too close to the bend leaving no room for anyone else.
    Road safety authority statistics shows that most accidents are on bad roads with poor viability ahead with inappropriate limits or head on collisions as per N21 at Barnagh where the road goes from wide into a narrow sharp bend for the condition of the road while Towns/Villages with very wide road with no history of accidents have 60/50kph far out that never had any serious accidents.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Just had a look at the speed camera map. Only one problem I can think of: not a single markedly wobbly, crooked or bent red line on there. They're all straight as dies!

Even the Gards are now being open about how this "safety" initiative will work. Every straight section of road in the country is going to have a Gitso van or Puma patrol car on it raping every passing vehicle. While every dangerous stretch and black spot is left unmonitored and every dangerous driver whizzes on by the cameras getting up to (and away with!) murder while the camera snaps everything going by in a safe manner at a safe speed.

Is this part of our government's Economic Annihilation Initiative or just their Job Removal Strategy? Its certainly nothing to do with road safety, that's for sure and certain! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

none on the M50, N4 around Lucan, or their old favourite hunting ground, the Naas Rd/R110 between the M50 and Long Mile Road? Believe it when I don't see them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Not one marked area on the kentstown road where 6 people died in the space of 12 months, but area's marked outside navan that are straighter than a motorway!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I somehow doubt they'll be sticking to their zones much :rolleyes:

I wonder if the damage to our infrastructure will be the final nail in our economic coffin..? The R162 is another major regional route that looks like its finally going to go the way of the N3/R147, with hourly Gitso van patrols up and down it enforcing a spped limit that's nothing short of surreal while speeding motorists play bumper cars on the smaller and far more lethal N52 that crosses it... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

how's about this ?

http://www.trapster.com/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if its been pointed out already but all of these vans seems to be KY registered as the company that got the contract seem to have their HQ there (no doubt the healy rae clan had their hand in some ones pocket their lol)

Anyway KY seems to be a good identifier,no sign of any yet in my part of Kildare.

Also another thing i've noticed is every Garda camera van i've seen in the last 2 weeks (3 in total all different) has had Garda markings all over it,where as before the wouldn't have,now the Gardai are no ejits i think this is a blatant attempt to set themselves apart from the private mercenaries as they expect a big public backlash and outrage towards these vans.I don't condone it but certain elements of Joe public wouldn't think twice about attacking a van been manned by a civilian but would think long and hard about doing the same to a Garda van.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Yep, The S**t is going to hit the fan when people start getting a couple of tickets a week. No words to discribe how sick to death I am of this type of b*llox right now :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    Yep, The S**t is going to hit the fan when people start getting a couple of tickets a week. No words to discribe how sick to death I am of this type of b*llox right now :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This keeps having to be asked - sick to death of what? Getting caught for speeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

This keeps having to be asked - sick to death of what? Getting caught for speeding?
    Realistically I would say there isn't a single person who uses the roads on a daily basis who hasn't speeded at some stage in their lives unless they live a saintly life as some other poster has said.
    With all the pressures of modern life, and even more so now a days, all I can see from these new camara vans is the introduction of yet another tax and the fact that it's being run by a private company with known Fianna Fail links give me very little hope for a fair outcome.
    As we've seen with the toll roads and the NCT companies, the average driver will have little of no hope of even questioning a fine when they get it.
    A very sorry day in my view but not surprising. From what i've seen most of the serious accident don't occur on the roads they're targeting and most of the fatal accidents seem to occur in the early hours of the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Just dont speed if you dont want to risk a ticket. Thats the point of them being called "safety cameras" They WILL cause people to slow down and that WILL inevitably reduce the severity of accidents. That it will also raise revenue for US in these difficult times is a bonus surely (so long as they dont catch ME:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Garda Website is Still Down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Ali Babba wrote: »
    Realistically I would say there isn't a single person who uses the roads on a daily basis who hasn't speeded at some stage in their lives unless they live a saintly life as some other poster has said.

I exceed the speed limit consistently. I've always admitted that.

If they catch me then it's no one's fault but mine. I'll pay my fine and take my points.

I also (sometimes) park illegally, if I'm clamped then that's my fault too.

I hate all this gnashing of teeth about how unfair it is and how it's just a money making racket or whatever. The fact remains that the only person who can dictate if they're caught for exceeding the speed limit is the driver.

I hope they use these cameras in a manner that improves safety, but the fact remains that if I'm caught, it's no one's fault but mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Another thing. It is A Private Company after all. so they are bound to be driven by money.how do u know they are not going to be corrupt. is in there corrupt guards? *Eg Donegal & other places (*rte news)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Will there be signs up at all the locations on the Garda website to warn of where these cameras will be.

Passed one of these areas this morning and no warning.

I'm a paid up member over at GPS Data Team. Hopefully they'll have the Irish POI for these new speed areas done soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

OK so what happens if registered keeper of a car gets one of the letters and names someone else as the driver but the other person subsequently denies it. Who gets done in that situation and how does it square with the principle of innocent until proven guilty ?
    Stinicker wrote: »
    Driving a foreign registered car to avoid this is not advisable as it is illegal to drive a car that is not registered in Ireland except for the purposes of getting it VRT cleared, driving it to the NCT centre etc.

Or if one is a bone fide foreign resident visiting the state (in their own car) for up to three months (provided the insurance is valid in Ireland and nobody else is allowed drive it) I would imagine there are other regualtions for foreign registered commercial vehicles and busses,

Isint there a limit (six months IIRC) on how long one can drive on a foreign licence before having to exchange it ? Also isint one obliged to promptly inform the (driver and vehicle) licensing authorities in their own country about any change of address ?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Sick to death of more sneaky taxes thats what!!!
    And the fact that its "all in the name of saving lives" bulls*it that they spiel out to the people and expect them to buy it.
    Try driving 60km speed limit at the m50 exit on the n4, just try and see how ye get on from any of the lanes to get into the furthest right hand lane for the turnoff, oh and keep your eyes on the speedo too- ye dont want to be going over the limit now! :rolleyes: smashin idea, listen the list is endless. Just another tax thats all. The company thats running it are just in it for the craic like all other companies. No financial benifit is sought :rolleyes: and the government who havent a pot to piss in and weeks away from complete meltdown and the abyss are truely worried about road fatalities :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

This line alarms me
    These sections of the road network will be where An Garda Síochána will be primarily focussing our enforcement. We will use a range of equipment such as:

I'd say the vans will be everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭deckstunt

Don't know if this has been posted before (I couldn't find it). Here is a link to a Google Earth KML file for the locations of the Garda Safety Camera zones.

http://www.garda.ie/sez/gardagosafecameras.kml

(And just to clarify the speed cameras in question are these )

Update:
    I've converted the KML to GPX file. It's nothing fancy, just the KML tracks in magenta in GPX form, but you should be able to load it on to a GPS.
    GardaSafetyCamerasGPX.zip

Its a zipped GPX.
    SHA1:3f661a528047381e26977bd2de93f6d66447d260

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Thanks, though your embedded link is not clicking through correctly (the displayed URL is correct though).

The link should click through ok now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is that a problem with Boards servers, I wonder.

You can download a Google Earth KML of the speed camera locations from this post

• Advertisement

Is that a problem with Boards servers, I wonder.

Is it still not working? It works for me when I click on it.

Advertisement