Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting over someone

Options
  • 12-10-2010 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Any girly tips on how to forget about someone?

I liked this guy who turned out to be an asshole. But i cant get him out of my mind.

So far im treating myself this weekend to a new haircut and i always wanted a tattoo so thats on the list for this weekend too.

Would love a big tub of ice cream.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Sersiously though, what the fk was he playing at?

He led me on only to ignore me. Such a fking asshole.

Need to put all this negative energy into doing something for myself rather than giving him the ego boost by going for revenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Haircut - yay! Icecream - yay! :D

Wouldn't go for the tattoo this weekend to be honest though! If it's something that you've always wanted, do you really want to associate it with getting it the weekend that you were upset over this asshole? He is SO not worth it. You'd be much better to wait til you're over him and when you're much happier on your own, then you'll always associate it with completely happy memories! :)

As for girly tips ... splash out on a pedicure and manicure, or do a DIY job. :) It always makes me so happy to know that my toenails are perfect and pretty, even if no one else can see them! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I liked this guy who turned out to be an asshole. But i cant get him out of my mind.

So far im treating myself this weekend to a new haircut and i always wanted a tattoo so thats on the list for this weekend too.

Do not do it. Not a reason to get inked and you will forever associate it with him.

Haircut - yay! Icecream - yay! :D

Wouldn't go for the tattoo this weekend to be honest though! If it's something that you've always wanted, do you really want to associate it with getting it the weekend that you were upset over this asshole? He is SO not worth it. You'd be much better to wait til you're over him and when you're much happier on your own, then you'll always associate it with completely happy memories! :)

As for girly tips ... splash out on a pedicure and manicure, or do a DIY job. :) It always makes me so happy to know that my toenails are perfect and pretty, even if no one else can see them! :o

You're right, il hold off getting the tattoo for a few weeks. Though it is something iv always wanted. Just feel like doing something mad this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Please don't do the tattoo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

You're right, il hold off getting the tattoo for a few weeks. Though it is something iv always wanted. Just feel like doing something mad this weekend.

Well if you're getting the hair done anyways, why not go for a totally different cut and colour? The great thing is, it's not permanent, you can always change it back! :) Ooh and splash out on some fab new makeup, I love doing that! And organise a big night out with your friends to show it all off! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Well if you're getting the hair done anyways, why not go for a totally different cut and colour? The great thing is, it's not permanent, you can always change it back! :) Ooh and splash out on some fab new makeup, I love doing that! And organise a big night out with your friends to show it all off! :)
    Plus it's cheaper than getting inked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 babs78

List out the reasons why you think he's an asshole and then when you find yourself thinking of him/missing him think of them and say to yourself "I no longer love him because of (insert asshole qualities). He does not have the quailitis I want in a long-term partner". Repeat however many times is required!

Feel like crap and has been for weeks. Coming from someone i always liked, its killing me. He knew i like him and led me on and only because he's going through a midlife crisis.

I wouldn't mind if he was just honest in the first place but to lead me on???

:(:(:(:confused:

Sorry for whinging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 babs78

Yeah, I'm a total believer in "I'd rather be hurt by your honesty than pleased by your lies".

Did he purposely lead you on or has he just had a change of heart? Has he provided any reasons for why he has backed off and started ignoring you?

• Advertisement

babs78 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a total believer in "I'd rather be hurt by your honesty than pleased by your lies".

Did he purposely lead you on or has he just had a change of heart? Has he provided any reasons for why he has backed off and started ignoring you?

Nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Lose your mobile phone for the weekend - that way you won't send any drunk texts and also it means he can't contact you ....

deelite wrote: »
    Lose your mobile phone for the weekend - that way you won't send any drunk texts and also it means he can't contact you ....

Ya im changing my number. If he thinks he can contact me when he likes in the hope that i would be available when he likes, he has another thing coming. He had his chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

go out, get drunk...,
    Flirt :- Enjoy compliments == feel good factor :)

if that's not enough, get the best looking flirt u got and shag him....real hard and long like you've never done before ;)

Feeling a bit better after that whinge. Pigged out on chocolate and tea. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭La frog fairy

ok all sounds good i would add my personal favourite, cho-co-late !!

Seriously my best friend for moments like that;)

Getting drunk is good, at the moment, not sure how you handle the day after tho, what is up must come down so you might a bit more sad while hanging out with your mate hangover.

My all time "get him out of my head" favourite thing?? Put music on loud in your house/ living room and start dancing! ok this might be odd by the sound of it but i swear it worked for me then. All it is is get yourself active, fun, dance, have a laugh even if its jsut about yourself being silly dancing on the couch singing out loud!

Alright this my sound cookoo but hey, you might try it who knows, it could be a step to recovery!!

good luck miss!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

babs78 wrote: »
    Good line. Like it. :) though it does sound like a country and western song lyric. Than again nada wrong with that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The only way to get over someone is with time, you are effectively 'grieving' the loss of a loved one.

I've never had a 'bad' break up, there's one or two that I've tried to hate afterwards but couldn't. No matter how many times I tried to think of things I didn't like about them, the good things always over rode that, maybe I've just been lucky! Time does heal though, it might only take a couple of weeks, it might take months. 'Girlie nights' usually just end up with you talking about him anyway or the girls talking to you about him. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got me a new haircut and sexy little black dress, put on some red lippie and hit the town! The ol' confidence was a bit knocked due to the reasons of the break up, so I wanted to feel lovely about myself and ensure myself that there wasn't a thing wrong with me :)

OP, the guy turned out to be an asshole, it's better to know sooner than later. You saved yourself in the long run, you deserve someone nice and special.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I cried for about two months whilst moaning to everyone who would listen. Then I threw myself back into being single. It's had its ups and downs, but I haven't forgotten about him, not by a long shot. But then it was the end of a nearly two-year relationship with my first love, so slightly different circumstances :).

Try writing down everything you feel about him, maybe in the form of a letter to him. Afterwards, destroy it. That's quite therapeutic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Get a tattoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

OK I can hardly give advice from on high .....but.....change your name on here, it is so negative. My tag is crap because I had been having a youtube binge of the old Batman series from the 60's. Sorry for the side track of your topic. As regards that, don't do the tattoo thing. Like someone else said you will forever associate it with this time and the hassle with that guy. Hope things improve for ya though.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If he thinks he can contact me when he likes in the hope that i would be available when he likes, he has another thing coming. He had his chance.

attagirl! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Similar thing happened me this year. No idea why someone pretends to like you then backs away (an ego boost maybe?). Best thing to do is just get on with whatever you enjoy doing, don't think about them and don't allow yourself time to think about them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

Hey,

I hope you're feeling a bit better now :)
    Oh, I wouldn't do the tatt job just yet, it'll always revert to a reminder of HIM! My friend did this when she broke up with her fiance , she wanted to go wild too, and off she went and got one, she now regrets it :( - if she'd of told me first, i'd of stopped her ha ha

I'd suggest a girls night in, cheesy dvds, wine/other alcohol, junk food - can't go wrong with that set up ;)

Alternatively, you could write a letter to said man but then destroy it, always destroy it. That way you're getting your feelings out there, but it's not exactly making it worse. Also write down the bad points to him (yes there's a few, there always is, we might have clouded judgment when w/ them , but deep down you'll think of them!) and keep them safe, for when you have a bad day & want to contact him.

I will say this, the old saying about getting over one person is getting under a new person, DON'T - because alike any other 'high', when you come crashing back down you'll feel twice as bad, as you did before AND you'll feel horrible about yourself. You deserve a nice man, so just a lil tip, if you're considering the above!

When people we trust f*ck us around it's always hard to come to terms with at first, and it may take a good while to actually get over him , but you will eventually end up just not thinking about him , and if you do you won't care for him anymore:)

Hope my 2cent has helped!
    L

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Similar thing happened me this year. No idea why someone pretends to like you then backs away (an ego boost maybe?). Best thing to do is just get on with whatever you enjoy doing, don't think about them and don't allow yourself time to think about them either.

How do you know he 'pretended' to like you? Did he tell you? Maybe he thought he did or was unsure of what he wanted and in the end decided that pushing you away was easier than dealing with his feelings or didn't want a relationship. I've been in the situation where I've been with someone, liked them and didn't like them, liked them again, didn't like them etc etc etc but the reasons for not liking them were because I was TYRING not to. Not because I wanted to be an ass to him, just because thats the way I felt. Not sure I wanted to be in a relationship, not wanting to lead him on yet a big part of me wanted to be with him - and still you push them away. Doesn't mean you're pretending to like them.
    lisaface wrote: »
    Alternatively, you could write a letter to said man but then destroy it, always destroy it. That way you're getting your feelings out there, but it's not exactly making it worse. Also write down the bad points to him (yes there's a few, there always is, we might have clouded judgment when w/ them , but deep down you'll think of them!) and keep them safe, for when you have a bad day & want to contact him.

I don't get this. Why do people do this? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I don't get this. Why do people do this? :confused:

which part - the letter or the list of bad points?

Writing a letter is a really cathartic way to get the massive jumble of thoughts racing around your mind out of your system, it's a kind of cleansing ritual to put a spiritual slant on it. In a letter that you don't send you can say all the things you would love to say to a person (but know you never should lest your sanity be called into question :p:D). Regardless of whether it's a good or a bad break up the letter thing can help you resolve any lingering questions you have about someone, it helps put clarity on a situation. Particularly if it's a bad break up - you can call them every name under the sun, rant and rave and give out shyte to them and go mental in private whilst keeping your dignity firmly in tact in public!

The list of bad points works better when it's a bad break up, but applies to good ones too. Not only is time a healer, it also has a tendency to be viewed with rose-tinted glasses. As time goes by you may tend to forget that 99% of a person's actions were toxic or bad, and only fondly remember the 1% of the good stuff. Having something on paper, in hard copy, to read and remind of you just what a bad person they were or how not right for you they were can help you see the past more clearly.

How do you know he 'pretended' to like you? Did he tell you? Maybe he thought he did or was unsure of what he wanted and in the end decided that pushing you away was easier than dealing with his feelings or didn't want a relationship.

Well, I guess I don't know whether she was pretending to like me or not but she effectively led me on so the net result, to me, is the same. We've all been in situations where we feel ambiguously about people but it's our responsibility to clarify our feelings before acting on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Well, I guess I don't know whether she was pretending to like me or not but she effectively led me on so the net result, to me, is the same. We've all been in situations where we feel ambiguously about people but it's our responsibility to clarify our feelings before acting on them.

She may not have. SHe may not even have been ambivalent at the time. Revisionism is a very popular course of action for people.

I love you.

I don' t love you anymore.

I never loved you.

Revisionism, imo has nothing to do with the truth of the past, but is an indicator of how someone is going to proceed into the future.

So don't feel too conned.

• Advertisement

Sure, but revisionism usually takes place after some time and distance, it's not normally something that happens in the course of a night.

Advertisement