Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I've lost RTE 1 and UTV Ireland and a couple of others, they've been breaking up for weeks and then working again but now they are just a black screen. My Saorview aerial is pointed at forth mountain in Wexford. Rte2 and tv3 are perfect. Anyone else having this issue? Thanks.

RTE1/UTV are carried on a different frequency/multiplex to RTE2/TV3 etc.
    Possible aerial misalignment or dodgy connection somewhere reducing the signal strength/quality for that particular multiplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

The Cush wrote: »
    RTE1/UTV are carried on a different frequency/multiplex to RTE2/TV3 etc.
    Possible aerial misalignment or dodgy connection somewhere reducing the signal strength/quality for that particular multiplex.

Thanks mate I'll get it checked as all the televisions in the house have the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Sounds like something wrong with your setup alright, however the Forth Mountain signal generally broadcasts up as far as Ferns, North of Ferns it can be unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

Thanks again guys, the cables in the attic needed sorting. All good now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Knockanore TX is off air

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/a-number-of-people-without-tv-signal-in-north-kerry-this-afternoon/

In case there's anyone in N Kerry/W Limerick/SW Clare without Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭mike2084

marno21 wrote: »
    Knockanore TX is off air

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/a-number-of-people-without-tv-signal-in-north-kerry-this-afternoon/

In case there's anyone in N Kerry/W Limerick/SW Clare without Saorview.

All back up and running since about 4:30 today

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Castlebar tx off air until tomorrow most likely... and on the day of the mayo match!

Pete2k wrote: »
    Castlebar tx off air until tomorrow most likely... and on the day of the mayo match!

Went off at around 10pm last night apparently. Very poor by rtenl if they cant at least restore some level of service from this tx cosidering the game is on today. It didnt go off at 10am this morning so they have had plenty of time to get their act together.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

169 says it was caused by a lightning strike and full service has been restored.

There would be war if it wasn't back for 3:30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

Maghera transmitter planned outage next Tuesday 13th:
    Service Notification:
    2rn - Maghera, Co. Clare
    Due to essential ESB work, our Maghera transmitter will be off the air for 2 hours on Tuesday 13th September. This outage will affect all broadcast services from Maghera both FM Radio and Saorview. Our relay transmitters at Achill, Ballina, Casla, Clifden, Cnoc n Óir, Ennistymon, Tonabrocky will also be affected by this outage.
    2rn apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Expect some of this over the weekend, going by here anyway.
    The areas noted in the forecast have the necessary atmospheric conditions to produce tropospheric bending of VHF, UHF and/or microwave radio waves. Tropospheric bending extends the range of radio & TV stations well beyond their normal limit and thus increases interference amongst stations as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Back in the analogue days this seemed to be a late summer, high pressure phenomenon (most summers in Ireland we watched the BBC apologies about CCI when they had good weather and we were watching the rain beat down.) The worst we ever saw back then was narrow dark, almost black horizontal bands about 5 or 6 lines wide across the whole width of the screen alternating with normal picture, and that was rare - on analogue cable. Presumably UK viewers in fringe areas experienced the same. I know we're unseasonably warm at the moment but is this really going to cause a problem on DTT for anyone with a half-decent aerial? Obviously the effects if any will look very different on DTT! I have heard of some viewers in the south of England being temporarily unable to receive Freeview but picking up France strongly. Most Irish viewers are reasonably far away from interfering signals - at least on UHF and given the lower TX power on DTT - there were some odd stories in the 70s/80s about west of Ireland VHF channel 1 viewers picking up TVE1 from Spain loud and clear when they wanted to watch Landmark.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

... is this really going to cause a problem on DTT for anyone with a half-decent aerial?

You mean in terms of directionality? Not a lot that can do if the interfering tx is the same direction as your wanted one.

Earlier in this thread I reported on problems caused to Freeview from Divis (Darvel the likely interferer) & Saorview from Monaghan (Maghera the culprit I'd think), these sites being much the same direction from my location.

Looking at the updated tropo map, the 'very strong' area for Saturday night seems to have shrunk & moved SW, it covered most of the country in the earlier version.

BTW, the band I interference is a different phenomenon (sporadic E?), related to the ionosphere iirc, not the troposphere.

Getting interference now to Saorview mux 1, & the Divis com. muxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Saorview/Freesat took a holiday, it seems, here in West Wicklow, saying it will be back on Monday. No foreign channels at all. I have a Revez DVB T2/S2 top box installed a few months ago, from a local rep of a company operating from Wexford...and i managed to lose all their documentation that came with the gear....any idea if this is a short term thing?

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Saorview/Freesat took a holiday, it seems, here in West Wicklow, saying it will be back on Monday. No foreign channels at all. I have a Revez DVB T2/S2 top box installed a few months ago, from a local rep of a company operating from Wexford...and i managed to lose all their documentation that came with the gear....any idea if this is a short term thing?

:confused: Where is this 'back on Monday' message appearing, & why do you think it has anything to do with Saorview?

I turned on the TV last evening and got to about the tenth channel selection and the channels are blank. After a few minutes searching, a Saorview information video came up about tuning the set and then the message about Monday appeared.

I turned on the TV last evening and got to about the tenth channel selection and the channels are blank. After a few minutes searching, a Saorview information video came up about tuning the set and then the message about Monday appeared.

Maybe it's the Oireachtas channel you're looking at with 'Programmes Return Monday at 9.00' in the info?

it resolved itself partially but RTE 1 is patchy, freezing a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭zg3409

freezing images is normally a bad aerial. If you can afford it get an aerial professional to look at it to guarantee you reliable viewing. This is especially important if your aerial is more than 5 years old

• Advertisement

the aerial is new; the set up is about four months old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

the aerial is new; the set up is about four months old now.

Who installed it?

it resolved itself partially but RTE 1 is patchy, freezing a lot.

Do you only have a single set of Saorview channels in your list? Maybe it's picked up a weaker transmission & would probably put that at the top of the list if it's on a lower frequency than your preferred transmitter.

I managed to put the documentation away somewhere really safe and can't find them now. I shall have to find out how to set the thing up. So far, it is behaving itself today.

I would recommend contacting the initial installer, and attempting to get it looked at under warranty. If you messed up some setting (which is possible and could have been done) then you may have to pay a smallish amount, but if he/she is only checking the issue then it should not be too much. If it is dodgy now, it will probably continue to be dodgy and the later you leave it the more chance the installer will not cover it under warranty. There is nothing as frustrating as a freezing picture when you want to watch something. The installer should be able to check the issue and fix the problem.

Unfortunately, I mislaid the paperwork and can't remember his name. He was a Polish guy operating in the Naas general area for a Wexford company.

OK so we will try some basic support for you. Sometimes installers change the box pin/passwords to make it hard for you to change settings.

1) We need the exact box make and model number, written on the box.

2)We need to know which channels were affected and which were not.

3) There is a risk of messing all channels up, which you need to be aware of

4) Put your EXACT address into this website.
    https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage
    Move the pointer around until it is on your house. Let us know what the recommended details are (we don't need your exact address).

e.g.:
    Transmitter
    SITEINFORMATION
    Site:KIPPURE
    Site On-Air:Yes
    Channels: 54, 58

AERIALINFORMATION
    Polarization:H
    Direction to:
    point (degrees)West (260)
    Distance: 10 km

Quick things to check.
    1) Is the aerial pointed in the same direction as recommended on that site?

2) Does that site show you in a good signal area, or close to a no signal area?
    (HIT THE SHOW COVERAGE BUTTON THEN ZOOM OUT USING THE - BUTTON ON THE MAP)
    Is there non green areas near you? Are you in a non green area?

Please reply to every question.

Hi there,
    The set top box is a Revez DVB-T2/S2....right now, no RTE coverage at all. Foreign channels are all good....i did the saorview test as you outlined above and the aerial appears to be as close to 60 degrees orientation. It hasn't moved since it was put in and the connection to the set top box is good. I'm in Dunlavin, so it's 28km to Kippure and the coverage area is green.

Hi there,
    The set top box is a Revez DVB-T2/S2....right now, no RTE coverage at all. Foreign channels are all good....i did the saorview test as you outlined above and the aerial appears to be as close to 60 degrees orientation. It hasn't moved since it was put in and the connection to the set top box is good. I'm in Dunlavin, so it's 28km to Kippure and the coverage area is green.

They sell 3 types, Q11, Q12 and HDTS800. We need to know which type.
    http://www.revez.eu/index.php?id_category=27&controller=category

• Advertisement

that's what it sez on the tin...Revez nano combo and DVB T2/S2 and the only other number is the serial number.

Advertisement