Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can get a push button switcher like this:
    https://www.mediatec.ie/diseqc-motors-switches/manual-a-b-switch.html

I think there are ones that come with a remote control too. Alternatively you could feed Saorview to a separate set top box and connect to the TV with HDMI and connect upc direct to the TV. You could then switch sources using normal remotes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

zg3409 wrote: »
    You can get a push button switcher like this:
    https://www.mediatec.ie/diseqc-motors-switches/manual-a-b-switch.html

I think there are ones that come with a remote control too. Alternatively you could feed Saorview to a separate set top box and connect to the TV with HDMI and connect upc direct to the TV. You could then switch sources using normal remotes
    Thank you!

Will definately look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Yeah!! Got RTE 1 back as clear as a bell!!!

Now bloody RTE 2 has gone! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Back now. May have been a maintenance period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

kleefarr wrote: »
    Yeah!! Got RTE 1 back as clear as a bell!!!

Now bloody RTE 2 has gone! :mad:
    kleefarr wrote: »
    Back now. May have been a maintenance period.

Unlikely, certainly given the time of your earlier post. I'd suspect a problem or inadequacy with your own setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm having trouble with RTE1 as well lately

on the Telly i lose it from time to time, but on my combi box i get it 100% constantly and their both feeding off the same aerial :confused:

(transmitter - woodcock hill co clare)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

fryup wrote: »
    i'm having trouble with RTE1 as well lately

on the Telly i lose it from time to time, but on my combi box i get it 100% constantly and their both feeding off the same aerial :confused:

(transmitter - woodcock hill co clare)
    Provided all the cabling/connectors are good I'd say the TV's tuner could be less sensitive than the combi box to a lower quality signal. A meter would be required to see how good the signal is.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Woodie40

Anyone having issues with North of Ireland Channels today? Due to weather? I am in North East.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

Woodie40 wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with North of Ireland Channels today? Due to weather? I am in North East.

A high pressure is probably the cause. Often co-encides with amazing weather. You are probably receiving the wanted signal, and another station from another location on the same frequency further away due to the high pressure helping the signal along.

Sometimes adjusting the aerial or pointing it differently may help. Sometimes and attenuator in-line might help. Most people just put up with it, especially if you are a long way from the transmitter. If you have satellite alternatives then use them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very difficult to listen to Radio Kerry on 97.0 around West Limerick due to 2FM Clermont Carn (Co. Louth) butting in. Would likely be the cause of the same issues you are having.

• Advertisement

in laymans language what is mux??

and whats the reason why RTE1 is on a separate one?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A mux is a multiplexor - a way of encoding digital TV signals so that many can be broadcast together. That is it takes, say six channels, and puts them together into a single data stream. It is more efficient use of spectrum to do this and has allowed more spectrum to be used for mobile phones. The TV receiver then picks out one of those TV channels from the mux data stream the one to be displayed. In analogue days, each channel was broadcast on one frequency. Now one Mux is broadcast on the same size channel, but instead of carrying one channel it can take several TV channels, which can be SD TV, HD TV or radio, or even data.

Saorview uses two muxes because there is not enough room on one to carry all the channels, and for reasons best known to RTNL, RTE 1 HD is on Mux 2, and RTE 2 HD is on Mux 1.

HD channels take up about 2.5 times the space of an SD channel and so costs more in transmission fees.

You can see the contents of each mux (aka UHF channel/frequency) here - http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=PSB-MUX-2&pid=2101&live=15&lang=en

List of UHF channels used at each transmitter for the 2 muxes - http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sep-2014.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

A mux is a multiplexor - a way of encoding digital TV signals so that many can be broadcast together.

HD channels take up about 2.5 times the space of an SD channel and so costs more in transmission fees.

so how space would a 4k channel take up??

philstar wrote: »
    so how space would a 4k channel take up??

At the moment it could be up to 25 Mbps on DTT, in the future depending on encoder advancement maybe 13-15 Mbps.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Cush wrote: »
    At the moment it could be up to 25 Mbps on DTT, in the future depending on encoder advancement maybe 13-15 Mbps.

Is the 25Mbps figure using a h264 encoder?

marno21 wrote: »
    Is the 25Mbps figure using a h264 encoder?

HEVC (H.265) over DVB-T2, there was a test broadcast at some UHD event last year in Spain IIRC and also tests in France at 22 Mbps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

UHD TV will use one mux per channel, just like analogue. It might improve with better coding, but not hugely - there is a theoretical limit.

UHD TV will use one mux per channel, just like analogue. It might improve with better coding, but not hugely - there is a theoretical limit.

Not correct, using current encoder tech it would be possible to squeeze 2 UHD Phase 1 channels on a 40.2 Mbps capacity DVB-T2 mux now. The EBU have looked at this and depending on implementation scenarios they speculate a mux could carry up to 4 UHD channels.

You are right. I was basing this on a 24mb/s mux, which we have (DVB-T) but of course the change to DVB-T2 would give 40 mb/s.

If we do go DVB-T2, we would also have to go HEVC, and so new a STB will be needed for the legacy TVs - not going to be popular.

• Advertisement

If we do go DVB-T2, we would also have to go HEVC, and so new a STB will be needed for the legacy TVs - not going to be popular.

We don't we have to worry about UHD over DTT, no country around Europe are planning such a service at this stage. Even Germany, who are preparing to launch the most advanced DTT network to date using DVB-T2/HEVC with parameters that will probably have mux capacities of just above 22 and 27 Mbps, are not considering UHD DTT yet.

^^^^all the above previous posts^^^^^^^^^^

:confused::confused::confused:

^^^^all the above previous posts^^^^^^^^^^

:confused::confused::confused:

I agree, it appears to have started with your last post and took off from there.

touché ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

my saorview channels are gone about a month now, I'm in Offaly

mansize wrote: »
    my saorview channels are gone about a month now, I'm in Offaly

Most likely aerial/cable issue at your end, no Saorview network problems reported.

anyone experience picture judder watching europa league final on TV3 the other night??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Yes - and also now on RTE1 (from Mt. Leinster)

Seven Worlds will Collide

me - woodcock hill co clare

it was bloody annoying as well :mad: spoilt my enjoyment of the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

I've lost RTE 1 and UTV Ireland and a couple of others, they've been breaking up for weeks and then working again but now they are just a black screen. My Saorview aerial is pointed at forth mountain in Wexford. Rte2 and tv3 are perfect. Anyone else having this issue? Thanks.

Advertisement