Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Ive checked the connections but not so sure about the dish outside, maybe the high winds shifted it slightly. But would that not affect more of the u.k. channels if it has moved?

It's a FergusonAriva combo box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

It's possible some channels could be affected, & not others, not to the point of becoming unviewable anyway.

I've noticed all those you mention have vertically polarised signals though, so might be useful if you could see if any more are missing.

Yes, you're right, they are all vertical polarity, and lots more V channels are missing! So what do I do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Yes, you're right, they are all vertical polarity, and lots more V channels are missing! So what do I do now?

Check the direction of the antenna. If it has moved in the wind, it's more likely that the vertical channels will be worse affected because the antenna will still be on the correct axis for horizontal polarization with reference to the transmitter (ie parallel to the ground)..

It's probably an electronic fault in the LNB. (Part on the dish arm that collects the signal.) If you want to DIY, you could just try swapping it out, or if it's a multi-output LNB, swap the cable to a different output.
    exaisle wrote: »
    ... If it has moved in the wind, it's more likely that the vertical channels will be worse affected because the antenna will still be on the correct axis for horizontal polarization with reference to the transmitter (ie parallel to the ground)..

:confused: What?!

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help, I think I need to get the guy who installed it to come out to fix it. I wouldn't be confident enough to start messing with the dish, i'll have to put up with it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

MBSnr wrote: »
    Check it is off as my android box kills the freq RTE1 is broadcast on stone dead - (Ch 55). My neighbours had a slightly lose connection in the wall and their RTE1 had a lot of break ups - I had to go and fix it for them. It seems that on Ch 55 (for us from the transmitter Maghera in Clare) RTE1 is much more prone to interference and is less tolerant of wiring that has dodgy/loose/high resistance characteristics.

I know it's off as it gets unplugged when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dmcdream

Hi folks,

I have a query about the Walker WP645TS-HD Saorview Combo receiver, which I was hoping one of you might be able to help me with.

On the Terrestrial input to the receiver, I don’t appear to be able to change the channel order permanently. It’s no problem on the Satellite input. Every time I adjust the channel list on Saorview/UK Freeview by the next day it defaults to the original order – i.e. with the Saorview service occupying the first few channels, and the UK Freeview channels scattered in the 100’s, 200’s etc.

Is there a setting that I can change to stop this “auto update/change” happening? It’s trivial I know, but none the less very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

dmcdream wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have a query about the Walker WP645TS-HD Saorview Combo receiver, which I was hoping one of you might be able to help me with.

On the Terrestrial input to the receiver, I don’t appear to be able to change the channel order permanently. It’s no problem on the Satellite input. Every time I adjust the channel list on Saorview/UK Freeview by the next day it defaults to the original order – i.e. with the Saorview service occupying the first few channels, and the UK Freeview channels scattered in the 100’s, 200’s etc.

Is there a setting that I can change to stop this “auto update/change” happening? It’s trivial I know, but none the less very frustrating!

No setting I know of, but when you are putting the box in standby for the night (or anytime), do it from Satellite mode, not Terrestrial mode. The Terrestrial Channels should stay in order.
    Alternatively switch the box off completely at the mains socket when not in use rather than putting it in standby from terrestrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Since last night, I can only receive one mux from either Mullaghanish or Mitchelstown transmitters ( the one with RTE 1 in it ), full strength and quality, but nothing in the other mux. All was fine on both muxes until last night, it's the same on all tvs in the house. Any ideas ? I presume it's not a 2RN problem in the Cork area ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

galtee boy wrote: »
    Since last night, I can only receive one mux from either Mullaghanish or Mitchelstown transmitters ( the one with RTE 1 in it ), full strength and quality, but nothing in the other mux. All was fine on both muxes until last night, it's the same on all tvs in the house. Any ideas ? I presume it's not a 2RN problem in the Cork area ?

Both Mullaghanish muxes working here.

The Cush wrote: »
    Both Mullaghanish muxes working here.

OK, thanks. Must be some kind of aerial fault after developing, but can't understand why I can get one mux perfectly and not the other, especially when all was fine until last night.

Just in case anyone else is affected, I rang RTE/Saorview and there is a fault with the Mitchelstown transmitter since last night, which has knocked out one of the muxes. They hope to have it sorted by 4pm. This transmitter covers parts of North Cork, South Tipperary and South Limerick.

Just in case anyone else is affected, I rang RTE/Saorview and there is a fault with the Mitchelstown transmitter since last night, which has knocked out one of the muxes. They hope to have it sorted by 4pm. This transmitter covers parts of North Cork, South Tipperary and South Limerick.

Would have been good if RTE1+1 could have been put on the other MUX ! (i.e. not on the same MUX as RTE1) . So you could at least have seen RTE1 programmes by waiting one hour during any prolonged outage of the MUX with RTE1.

Antenna wrote: »
    Would have been good if RTE1+1 could have been put on the other MUX ! (i.e. not on the same MUX as RTE1) . So you could at least have seen RTE1 programmes by waiting one hour during any prolonged outage of the MUX with RTE1.

Good idea, but I suppose faults are so rare these days, they didn't think of that.

Good idea, but I suppose faults are so rare these days, they didn't think of that.

I was also thinking of fringe Saorview viewers in Northern Ireland. They might get one of the two MUXes OK with a stable reception but not the other one. For a number of reasons coverage of both MUXes will never be exactly the same on the edges of coverage. RTE1 would be an important channel for them, so having RTE1 and RTE1+1 on different MUXes would be an advantage for people there who may have an issue with the RTE1 MUX, but get the other one OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I'm missing MORE4, Sky News, CBS Drama, and probably a few more, for the past few days. I've tried rescanning but still getting no signal message. Can anyone help?

Sky news on soarview? Didn't know you could get that.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Sky news on soarview? Didn't know you could get that.

It isn't on Saorview, just like the other channels Fakediamond mentions. If you look at the replies to that post, it's FTA satellite the problem is with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Hey Folks.

I have a Samsung TV (ue40es5500wxzf) and I have Saorview channels (direct to TV, no SV box) but with some exceptions.

From searching around I realised that I am missing RTE 1, +1, Junior etc. Basically it seems that I can't get the channels from multiplexer 2.

Anybody have an idea why?

I've scanned and scanned again, but no luck.

Cheers.

KungPao wrote: »
    From searching around I realised that I am missing RTE 1, +1, Junior etc. Basically it seems that I can't get the channels from multiplexer 2.

Anybody have an idea why?

Insufficient signal for Mux2, could be an aerial alignment issue, connection issue, cable issue or a combination of some or all.

Was the signal OK up to now? If so due to the nature of a digital signal is could have been close to falling over before now, the so called digital cliff.

What type of aerial are you using, indoor outdoor attic?

• Advertisement

Insufficient signal for Mux2, could be an aerial alignment issue, connection issue, cable issue or a combination of some or all.

Was the signal OK up to now? If so due to the nature of a digital signal is could have been close to falling over before now, the so called digital cliff.

What type of aerial are you using, indoor outdoor attic?

Cheers for the reply.

The aerial is outside mounted with a dish. The funny thing is that another TV in the house (with a combo box) can get the missing stations.

When I scanned (location as Ireland) I got a result of 35 channels, and as UK I got 70....TV has RTE 1, +1, UTV Ireland etc BUT it's just black, not a signal.

Perhaps it's the TV? Can boxes have some sort of booster or are better at handling the signal or something?

Also, we are located near Dublin mountains...so near enough to Three Rock...

Ah Progress.

It's a connection issue as The Cush said. I am getting something now (choppy) so I think I need to do some work on the cabling.

Were you receiving the missing channels on this TV at this TV point previously?

Were you receiving the missing channels on this TV at this TV point previously?
    I cant say. I just moved in recently. There was a point with a satellite and aerial connection just in the room. No probs with the freesat and mux 1 channels. Funny how mux 2 seems more 'sensitive'. All channels on mux 1 were fine, but nada really from mux 2.

Anyway, I reckon I just need to organise the cabling better. I am guilty of using a Y type connecter and a splitter...bit messy.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Y splitter weaken the signal and most of them are not sheield so cause to allow interference to be picked up

Souriau wrote: »
    Y splitter weaken the signal and most of them are not sheield so cause to allow interference to be picked up
    Yeah was just thinking that. I am using a metal splitter (the type usually in the box with routers from UPC etc) as a cable extender.

Also a cheap plastic Y connector so I can have the aerial and old analogue channels from UPC/Virgin going into the RF on my telly.

Seemed like a good idea, but obviously it's bad news for the mux 2 channels.

Will buy some cables and do it properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭zg3409

Also a cheap plastic Y connector so I can have the aerial and old analogue channels from UPC/Virgin going into the RF on my telly.!

If you are combining Saorview and UPC analogue on to the one cable then this could be the culprit. You should not do that. Try only the Saorview aerial connection and disconnect the UPC cable. UPC generates thousands of signals, digital TV, analogue TV, internet, all on one wire and so it should not be joined to a Saorview aerial cable. Try without, scan again and see what happens.

zg3409 wrote: »
    If you are combining Saorview and UPC analogue on to the one cable then this could be the culprit. You should not do that. Try only the Saorview aerial connection and disconnect the UPC cable. UPC generates thousands of signals, digital TV, analogue TV, internet, all on one wire and so it should not be joined to a Saorview aerial cable. Try without, scan again and see what happens.
    Winner winner chicken dinner!

That's it!

Lesson learned: Don't mix old analogue cable TV with Saorview...unless you want to have zero channels from multiplexer 2!

Nice one!

Winner winner chicken dinner!

That's it!

Lesson learned: Don't mix old analogue cable TV with Saorview...unless you want to have zero channels from multiplexer 2!

Mux1 (Three Rock) and one of the analogue channels on UPC share UHF Ch 30, strange it was affecting Mux2 (Three Rock) on Ch 33

• Advertisement

Mux1 (Three Rock) and one of the analogue channels on UPC share UHF Ch 30, strange it was affecting Mux2 (Three Rock) on Ch 33
    It's interesting alright.

All I know is having UPC analogue and Saorview joined into my RF was grand for the channels on mux 1 (and analogue UPC), but killed mux 2. Maybe it's a quirk of my TV?

Having said all that, analogue UPC is useful so will get an extra coax so the Y is handy under the TV for switching over to Setanta, Discovery, Sky One etc.

Advertisement