Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'm having lots of problems in Ringsend. Worked well for a year when we installed it. Came home last week and there was no signal so I did a reinstall. Now the picture keeps pixilating or freezing or shadowing and the sound stops. TV works fine with the FTA.

Up until about the last week in June the recommended aerial for Three-Rock was a Group CD (green-tip) but they suddenly announced that they were moving frequency down to Ch 30 (Group A or wideband aerial) from Ch 54 (Group CD or wideband aerial) on Jul 10th. Thread on it here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056686609

If you have a green tip aerial it could now be the wrong one for reception now and could be causing your problems.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Cush wrote: »
    Up until about the last week in June the recommended aerial for Three-Rock was a Group CD (green-tip) but they suddenly announced that they were moving frequency down to Ch 30 (Group A or wideband aerial) from Ch 54 (Group CD or wideband aerial) on Jul 10th. Thread on it here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056686609

If you have a green tip aerial it could now be the wrong one for reception now and could be causing your problems.
    Or the STB is tuned to C30, when the C54 from Kippure could be stronger. Doing a manual installation on C54 might pick up a better signal (if the antenna is Group C/D)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In Ringend you need ch 30. Do an autoscan on the box. When it passes ch 30 (and shows 18 services) pull out the aerial and let it finish without it. Then replace the aerial and you will have 3Rock. Kippure is not good in Ringsend, there is a mountain in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Some further work at Mt. Leinster over the next few days... major outages for FM services til 19th July. Reduced power also.

Plus there will be shorter outages for UHF and Saorview,with reduced power working until July 18th.

169-02.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Smfm

I'm having lots of problems in Ringsend. Worked well for a year when we installed it. Came home last week and there was no signal so I did a reinstall. Now the picture keeps pixilating or freezing or shadowing and the sound stops. TV works fine with the FTA.

By FTA do you mean analogue ? in the past two years I've changed a heap of 4047 Televes diplexers, they cause no end of trouble, my supplier doesn't keep them any-more, think they've been with-drawn from the market

You don't say if you are using two aerials with a diplexer, so hard to say.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Most people would take FTA to mean free to air satellite.

And the part about the diplexer? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Hey
    My Saorview has now gone completely again within the last half hour since the rain got heavier. It was very weak signal since it came back on last week now its disappeared again tonite with a bit of rain. Analogue fine but with a few lines going tru it. Truskmore Sligo transmitter must be still on low power. Roll on digital switchover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Thanks for the replies. I did the auto tune and pulled the cable after 30. The picture went all together. I think this means I was getting 54 but the quality was bad. I had a look at the aerial and it is green tipped, so it looks like I need a new one. A year after finding out which was the right one to get. I might hold off for a couple of weeks, wait until the work finishes.

I don't know what a diplexer is. Yes, I meant Free to Air Satellite.

So now I need a group A or sideband aerial.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hey
    My Saorview has now gone completely again within the last half hour since the rain got heavier. It was very weak signal since it came back on last week now its disappeared again tonite with a bit of rain. Analogue fine but with a few lines going tru it. Truskmore Sligo transmitter must be still on low power. Roll on digital switchover

I'm presuming you have both UHF and VHF aerials - when you say analogue is fine, is that just RTE1/2? how are TV3 & TG4 in the rain? They will be coming in on your UHF aerial (same as Saorview) so if they go bad in the rain, then it points to a fault in your UHF aerial/cabling allowing rain to enter it.

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Hey

I'm presuming you have both UHF and VHF aerials - when you say analogue is fine, is that just RTE1/2? how are TV3 & TG4 in the rain? They will be coming in on your UHF aerial (same as Saorview) so if they go bad in the rain, then it points to a fault in your UHF aerial/cabling allowing rain to enter it.

Yes I have both VHF and UHF aerials.
    My analogue oh both we're fine apart from a few lines going tru it. Tv3 is always my best clearest picture.
    All back to normal again from I checked this morning.
    The fact I live so far like 50 miles aprox from the transmitter may be the issue in regards rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Clermont Carn has been disappearing for periods this morning, can anyone confirm if work is being done on site or is it something my end?

It's currently disappeared from two different tuners fed from separate aerials, with analogue CC and Kilkeel still booming in as strong as ever.

Hey message for ne1 else that is on Truskmore Sligo transmitter, got an email from RTÉ stating the following;

Hi Ronan,

Many thanks for the reply. They are currently working on the Truskmore transmitter and have been since the 10th of July. The works are due to end the 23rd of July. In addition to that you could try checking our coverage checker in order to establish if you are in an area that can currently receive the Saorview service. Please click on the link below which will bring you to our coverage checker:

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

Hope the above information is of use.

Best Wishes,
    Maria

Saorview Information

So if ne1 else is having trouble this is why.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hey message for ne1 else that is on Truskmore Sligo transmitter, got an email from RTÉ stating the following;

Hi Ronan,

Many thanks for the reply. They are currently working on the Truskmore transmitter and have been since the 10th of July. The works are due to end the 23rd of July. In addition to that you could try checking our coverage checker in order to establish if you are in an area that can currently receive the Saorview service. Please click on the link below which will bring you to our coverage checker:

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

Hope the above information is of use.

Best Wishes,
    Maria

Saorview Information

So if ne1 else is having trouble this is why.

Ronan, how's things?

I've been away for a couple of weeks so haven't had a chance to get back to you.

All My analogue is better than it ever was. I know some people in very bad reception areas and theirs is perfect too. My telly is giving a 'fair to good' reading on the Saorview when it should be on 5 bars out of 5. I can see the top of the Truskmore transmitter from my back door. I reckon once the analogue goes off they'll give Saorview full welly.

[/QUOTE]

Ronan, how's things?

I've been away for a couple of weeks so haven't had a chance to get back to you.

All My analogue is better than it ever was. I know some people in very bad reception areas and theirs is perfect too. My telly is giving a 'fair to good' reading on the Saorview when it should be on 5 bars out of 5. I can see the top of the Truskmore transmitter from my back door. I reckon once the analogue goes off they'll give Saorview full welly.[/Quote]

Yes my analogue is great and my saorview is ok but not as strong as it once was. And see if it rains heavily it goes off altogether. It was messing about a bit last nite and today again. Although its better this morning than yesterday. Probably due to the fact I'm so far away from the site. Yes I reckon that when the work is done they will turn it up full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gone again this morning (my morning radio being interrupted) they are taking their sweet time.

Hey guys
    Saorview gone today again from Truskmore. Analogue fine tho. Any1 else the same today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Antenna

outages at Monaghan today Tuesday:

RTÉNL Technical Information Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Due to essential engineering work, our transmitter at Lugad Hill, Co. Monaghan will be off the air for approximately 1 hour commencing 10am and for a further period of approximately 1 hour commencing 3:30pm today 24th July.
    This essential work will affect SaorView, analogue TV & FM radio services from this transmitter.
    RTÉNL apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Antenna

Current RTENL outages/reduced power announcements, all radio only:

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Achill, Co. Mayo
    Due to essential maintenance, transmission from Achill will be on reduced power on Wed 25th July.
    This work will affect all the FM radio services from this site.
    RTÉNL apologise for any inconveniences caused by this necessary work.

RTÉNL - Castletownbere, Co. Cork
    Due to essential maintenance, transmission from Castletownbere will be
    on reduced power between Wed 25th July and Thurs 2nd Aug.
    This work will affect all FM radio services from this site.
    RTÉNL apologise for any inconveniences caused by this necessary work

RTÉNL - Summerhill, Co. Meath (LW radio)
    Due to essential maintenance, Radio 1 Long Wave transmissions from our
    Summerhill station will be off the air between 10am and 4pm on Thurs 26th July.
    This work will affect 252 KHz transmissions only.

RTÉNL - Clonmel, Co. Tipperary
    Due to essential maintenance, transmission from our Clonmel station will be on reduced power from 10am-1pm and from 2pm-5pm on Thurs 26th July.
    This work will affect all the FM radio services from this transmission site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rerun

Hi,
    Yesterday and today I've had no Saorview channels in Stamullen, east Meath. Is this a transmitter issue or, ahem, a user issue. I've noticed a few outages over the past few months.
    Cheers,
    rerun

rerun wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yesterday and today I've had no Saorview channels in Stamullen, east Meath. Is this a transmitter issue or, ahem, a user issue. I've noticed a few outages over the past few months.
    Cheers,
    rerun
    Hey I wouldn't think it's a user issue. It's almost def a transmitter issue. Mines is from truskmore Sligo and has been very bad since June on and off.
    They're doing "essential maintenace" on masts all over Ireland atm. Sooner October 24th comes the better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jthrppel

Hi digital experts:
    I switched to saorview just three days ago. I have an Ariva combo 150 STB. The signal (not at full strength) from the north east transmitter was coming thru fine ( i am near skerries/CO.DUBLIN on the coast) but occasionally there would be break or scramble in all the terrestrial digital channels. The STB was pre-tuned for north east and Astra2. I have not tuned it in with my antenna but STB was tuning in digital channels with the presets. Tonight (Monday) from 9.30 or so no digital signal but the analog signals (including Northern Ireland ones) are coming in fine from the same attic antenna. Could the break in transmission be due to low signal strength? I could re-tune and see whether another transmitter would give a better signal strength?
    Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks much in advance.
    jthrppel

jthrppel wrote: »
    Hi digital experts:
    I switched to saorview just three days ago. I have an Ariva combo 150 STB. The signal (not at full strength) from the north east transmitter was coming thru fine ( i am near skerries/CO.DUBLIN on the coast) but occasionally there would be break or scramble in all the terrestrial digital channels. The STB was pre-tuned for north east and Astra2. I have not tuned it in with my antenna but STB was tuning in digital channels with the presets. Tonight (Monday) from 9.30 or so no digital signal but the analog signals (including Northern Ireland ones) are coming in fine from the same attic antenna. Could the break in transmission be due to low signal strength? I could re-tune and see whether another transmitter would give a better signal strength?
    Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks much in advance.
    jthrppel
    Most ppl including myself have been experiencing signal breaks and signal outtages since about the middle of June countrywide. It's because they are working on the transmitters and running most of them on low power. Mines was off for over 4 weeks then it came back again at a weaker signal than before for about 2 weeks an now it's off completely again.
    I think we all have to be patient and wait till they finished working on the transmitters. Thank god we still have analogue atm.
    U can always email saorview.info@rte.ie or call the rte info line on 00 353 (1) 208 3434
    Hope this helps.

Any1 else still having trouble from truskmore transmitter? RTE say there is no more work going on at that mast atm and that I shud get my installation checked. Fed up with them fobing me off all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Just out of interest, which transmitter does the Saorview coverage checker recommend for your location? (Drag the marker on the map to the exact spot.)

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Just out of interest, which transmitter does the Saorview coverage checker recommend for your location? (Drag the marker on the map to the exact spot.)
    It recommends truskmore for my area and that's the one I used for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Truskmore maintenance this week
    RTÉNL will be carrying out essential maintenance work at Truskmore this week. This may result in some short interruptions to service for viewers in fringe areas between Wednesday 8th and Friday 10th. It may be best to avoid carrying out installations in the area during this time.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saorview-Tech-Trade/329691340422770#!/pages/Saorview-Tech-Trade/329691340422770
    Temporary Signal Interruptions at Truskmore

RTÉNL will be carrying out essential maintenance work at Truskmore from Wednesday 8th to Friday 10th August.

This will require short interruptions to service and may affect viewers in some parts of counties Sligo, Donegal, Cavan, Roscommon, Leitrim and Mayo.

If you are in this area and experience any issues with your service this week, don’t worry, service will return to normal on Friday evening.

If you have any questions, please contact the SAORVIEW Information Line on 1890 222 012.

[http://www.saorview.ie/news/temporary-signal-interruptions-at-truskmore/

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Out of curiosity are these tramsitter upgrades and outages affecting transmisson of the FTA channels from UK? I have not had a signal in 4 weeks? Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

If you mean FTA satellite, certainly not & highly unlikely in the case of Freeview terrestrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Brian h

bookworms wrote: »
    Out of curiosity are these tramsitter upgrades and outages affecting transmisson of the FTA channels from UK? I have not had a signal in 4 weeks? Thanks

Some people in certain areas may be experiencing a recent problem with their Freeview reception but satellite channels will not be effected. Since the move by RTE in mid July to switch to channel 30 on the Three Rock transmitter, I have lost my Freeview BBC1 and BBC2 on the same channel from Brougher Mountain. I mentioned it in THIS post last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

My Dad (in Terenure) has been fine for the past week with a set of rabbits ears for Saorview from Three Rock (CH 30) after he bought a new TV. Yesterday afternoon, the signal level appears to have collapsed. The same today. I too have had a bit of signal breakup but I have an aerial.

Has something been done with the Three Rock transmitter ?

Advertisement