Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

marclt wrote: »
    @Danjo - work is being carried out on Mt. Leinster this week with saorview and analogue UHF affected. The work is also having a knock on affect on relay transmitters, so I'd assume Forth Mt., the site in Waterford etc is also off line.

I wonder will there be any back up feed for the other sites? If the power outages of a few years ago were to be repeated at Mt. Leinster (in the snow), I'm sure RTE would want to ensure that services at the smaller sites could be maintained?

So thats why im down alot in waterford, the stats were perfect so I was well confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Lads I bought a LG 32CS460 a couple of weeks back

My TV was working perfectly up to the day of the changes made (as warned on the info on RTE)

When I tried to re tune the channels they all came back but serious freezing, nothing at all this evening

i'm in the dublin area

whats happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Have you tried tuning in the Analogue channels?

Three Rock is: RTE One: 29; RTE Two 33; TV3 35; TG4 55
    Kippure is TV3 62; TG4 59

Are they all coming in perfectly?

Saorview is now on Channel 30 from Three Rock, so if you are getting a good RTE 1 on 29, it's not likely to be a problem with the aerial.

MarkK wrote: »
    Have you tried tuning in the Analogue channels?

Three Rock is: RTE One: 29; RTE Two 33; TV3 35; TG4 55
    Kippure is TV3 62; TG4 59

Are they all coming in perfectly?

Saorview is now on Channel 30 from Three Rock, so if you are getting a good RTE 1 on 29, it's not likely to be a problem with the aerial.

how would i physically do that?

Never heard of Three Rock or Kippure in my life :o

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Hi. At long last my Saorview is up and running again from Truskmore Sligo. It's not as strong a signal as I had before its now 65% strength and quality jumps about from 50-70-100%. But no freezing picture or sound so happy Enof with that.

• Advertisement

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Never heard of Three Rock or Kippure in my life :o

They are the two transmitters serving Dublin.

Try retuning again.
    You need to do it as if you are installing the TV for the first time.
    An "add channels" option may not work.

MarkK wrote: »
    They are the two transmitters serving Dublin.

Try retuning again.
    You need to do it as if you are installing the TV for the first time.
    An "add channels" option may not work.

I have restored to factory settings and then chose the auto tune selection

it picks up 8 digital channels and 10 radio.

But the quality of signal seems to be very poor. It was perfect earlier in the week before RTE started carrying out work

What sort of aerial do you have, how old is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭zg3409

Try a manual scan on channel 30. Check the quality

Then try a manual scan on channel 54. Check the quality again.

In this way you can be sure you have checked the signal from both transmitters that cover Dublin. Which is better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The irish stations have disappeared since tuesday evening, i am not really bothered as they are rubbish but others in the house want them for news etc , i have a ferguson ariva combo box and it has worked flawlessly so far, i have done a manual retune of the terrestial channels but i still get a black screen. We are in sandyford and are in spitting distance of the three rock mast. Is it the antenna or is it a problem with the combo box ?

Help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

rowa wrote: »
    We are in sandyford and are in spitting distance of the three rock mast. Is it the antenna or is it a problem with the combo box ?

Help.

Could be the antenna, frequency change at Three-Rock last Tuesday. What type of antenna are you using?

The Cush wrote: »
    Could be the antenna, frequency change at Three-Rock last Tuesday. What type of antenna are you using?

We just have a simple "bunny ears" type antenna on the top of the telly , i used to check and see the signal strength and it was fine. If it is the antenna would one of the ones lidl or aldi do for €30 do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

We just have a simple "bunny ears" type antenna on the top of the telly , i used to check and see the signal strength and it was fine. If it is the antenna would one of the ones lidl or aldi do for €30 do ?

Try changing the location of the aerial and check to see if it make any difference, regarding the Aldi aerial lots of discussion here recently on indoor aerials, just scroll down the forum.

I don't mind putting up an external antenna if its the best way , i just didn't think i'd need it as it was fine for so long. I'll try to move the current one about and see if it makes any difference.

3 Rock has changed frequency. so you need to re-tune your box to get it again.

zg3409 wrote: »
    3 Rock has changed frequency. so you need to re-tune your box to get it again.

I did a retune last night before i posted here, the receiver found the terrestrial tv and radio stations and i saved them , but when i try to see each one the screen is blank and info page says no signal strength or quality.
    Why have they tested one system for over a year and then changed it last minute ? Stupid.

I did a retune last night before i posted here, the receiver found the terrestrial tv and radio stations and i saved them , but when i try to see each one the screen is blank and info page says no signal strength or quality.
    Why have they tested one system for over a year and then changed it last minute ? Stupid.

There are technical reasons for the change. They did not do it for fun.

Try scanning again. It seems as if your TV picked up the wrong channels. The new signal from 3Rock is on channel 30. See if you can do a manual scan on channel 30.

zg3409 wrote: »
    There are technical reasons for the change. They did not do it for fun.

Try scanning again. It seems as if your TV picked up the wrong channels. The new signal from 3Rock is on channel 30. See if you can do a manual scan on channel 30.

The problem is my television isn't a saorview tv , i am trying to tune in the terrestrails on the ferguson combo box , it has worked very well for over a year so surely it should continue to recieve them ? Being so close to the three rock i didn't think i would need an external antenna. I don't mind if i do , so long as i know thats the trouble.

The problem is my television isn't a saorview tv , i am trying to tune in the terrestrails on the ferguson combo box , it has worked very well for over a year so surely it should continue to recieve them ? Being so close to the three rock i didn't think i would need an external antenna. I don't mind if i do , so long as i know thats the trouble.

Retune the terrestrial on the Ferguson. If it has the option manual scan channel 30. That is where the channels are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

As of yesterday evening, my Saorview reception seems to have returned to what it was before Sunday last, having been pretty poor in the intervening period.

I couldn't find anything wrong with my aerial & prior to this disturbance, had trouble-free reception since getting the receiver 4 months ago.

I got some BER readings when I had my sister's tv connected to the same aerial a couple of months back & the channel BER would have been towards the low end of 'good' with reference to the graphic in this post, so maybe it wouldn't take much to push it into failure territory.

I have a better aerial ready to fit when I finally remove the band III aerial after switchover.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

My neighbour had a problem with his Opticum combi which was receiving Kippure instead of 3Rock since 3Rock changed channel. Picture was blocky etc. I did a retune but the set kept retuning in the Kippure rather than the 3Rock channel, even though it found both. Manual tune failed to register, so I did a blind scan which found ch 30, and at that point I then pulled the aerial out for the rest of the scan which appeared to work.

Not impressed. Picture quality was poor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Mt Leinster off again at short notice :(
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/169-06.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    As of yesterday evening, my Saorview reception seems to have returned to what it was before Sunday last . . .

Analogue TG4 (UHF ch. 64) is still missing, wonder is it an equipment failure (there was a kind of flickering instability in the picture, probably for the best part of a year) or are they testing something new & just decided to switch it off?

Wonder did anyone complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

picking up 3 rock and kippure now in D12, signal strength and quality are showing @95.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Smfm

Hi. At long last my Saorview is up and running again from Truskmore Sligo. It's not as strong a signal as I had before its now 65% strength and quality jumps about from 50-70-100%. But no freezing picture or sound so happy Enof with that.

Hope it is, as I've had call-backs to homes where there is nothing my end that can be fixed, apart from wasting my time. :rolleyes:

The quality on those was zero to 50+ % freezing & breaking up....... frustrating.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Would Truskmore be temporarily running at low power for 'co ordination' with NI while they test their own gear???

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Smfm

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Would Truskmore be temporarily running at low power for 'co ordination' with NI while they test their own gear???

Don't know, but it has went down in quality, the signal level was fine...... have to check with customer to see if they are back up and running again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Sponge Bob wrote: »

It is possible. I'm in NI Co.Tyrone and get my saorview from Truskmore. Im about 50 miles from mast. My signal was always 70% level and 100% quality. Then it went off for over 4 weeks and it came back on on Thursday. But signal level is now 65% and quality sits around 70% but jumps about a lot between 50-70 & the odd time 100%. The odd time the level may go up to 66-67%. So yes I believe it may be running low power atm. Although my analogue picture is way better than ever before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'm having lots of problems in Ringsend. Worked well for a year when we installed it. Came home last week and there was no signal so I did a reinstall. Now the picture keeps pixilating or freezing or shadowing and the sound stops. TV works fine with the FTA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Due to essential engineering work, our Knockmoyle transmitter will be off the air for periods between 10am & 4:30pm on 17th July.
    SaorView may be off the air for up to
    1hr between 10am & 12:45pm.
    FM radio services may be off the air for up to 90mins between 1:45pm & 4:30pm.
    RTÉNL apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

Saorview and FM radio outages today in Kerry at the Knockmoyle transmitter.

Advertisement